Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

The biggest problem of the prequels was that Lucas is/was a better idea man than writer. He should have let someone else actually write the screenplays.

The quality of Star Wars is inversely proportional to how much Lucas influenced the screenplay. It's basically a law.

Wait. This only works for Eps 1-6, please ignore the sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, it's his nuts-and-bolts writing that really sucks. The overall theme of the PT is compelling; how does a Republic become an authoritarian state? How does someone go from being a protector of democracy to a fascist enforcer? But the execution is pretty bad. I respect the prequels because they have a lot more to say and are more cohesive than JJ Wars, but they really are pretty dire. It's telling that the Clone Wars TV show handles a lot of the material better than the movies, even with some of the kid-show stupidity in there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As Harrison Ford said to the man himself: "You can't say this poo poo, George."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mdemone posted:

As Harrison Ford said to the man himself: "You can't say this poo poo, George."

“You can write this poo poo but you can’t say it” to be exact. Still probably the most accurate criticism I’ve heard about Lucas’ writing style

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 6, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"George! You can type this poo poo, but you sure can't say it! Move your mouth when you're typing!" if you want the full thing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"george, i am going to kill you, with this knife, that i snuck onto the set" is the actual quote, but it got punched up in the retelling

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
The prequels are mostly objectively bad filmmaking.

I still sort of like watching them because I like the concepts and themes, and I like imagining what they could have been had Lucas just worked with the loving guilds and hired some real writers and directors. The ideas are pretty good and their hearts are in the right place. They just needed much better executions. In any case, they're what we got.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 6, 2023

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I had this nice theory that someone else was pushing their version of on this thread not that long ago that helps me overlook the badness of the prequels.

Basically, they're badly made historical dramas made by an incompetent, coked up Gungan director in universe a couple hundred years after the events they portray. The basic facts are right, but the director sucks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Love Rat posted:

I had this nice theory that someone else was pushing their version of on this thread not that long ago that helps me overlook the badness of the prequels.

Basically, they're badly made historical dramas made by an incompetent, coked up Gungan director in universe a couple hundred years after the events they portray. The basic facts are right, but the director sucks.

Didn't George say that R2D2's the one recording everything?

"So yeah I totally helped save the ship a few times ya know? Make sure to make that look great."
"What about the droid attack on the wookiees?"
"I was rooting for the droids, honestly."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beardcrumb posted:

I've recently rewatched all 3 trilogies and decided to simply skip past any scenes in the PT where Anakin and Padme are conversing in any way. I gotta say, despite many other problems with those movies I found them to be much more enjoyable.

Attack of the Clones is significantly improved just by cutting out the frolicking scene. That one scene kills the pacing, contradicts Anakin-Padme scenes both before and after it, and is generally a waste of time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

"george, i am going to kill you, with this knife, that i snuck onto the set" is the actual quote, but it got punched up in the retelling

You're mistaken, Christopher Lee said that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Lucas's writing, it's weird and distinctive and angsty in kind of a fun way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like Lucas's writing. it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hayden Christensen is a better actor than Harrison Ford because he can say that poo poo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

StashAugustine posted:

Also like Lord of the Rings came out about the same time and those movies are basically the peak of special effects

Then Miller made Fury Road with all those lessons of the past decade still fresh in his teams head.

BRJurgis posted:

Thankfully it all inspired Auralnauts.

Auralnauts starwars is fantastic, and practically a full movie in itself. I don't know if it replaces the Prequal Trilogy, but if I had to recommend someone only ever watch one it may be the Auralnauts version just for Berevity.

Just like if you haven't watched DBZ you can just watch DBZ Abridged and get an arguably better experience.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Love Rat posted:

The prequels are mostly objectively bad filmmaking.

I still sort of like watching them because I like the concepts and themes, and I like imagining what they could have been had Lucas just worked with the loving guilds and hired some real writers and directors.

Lucas tried to get other directors but Howard, Zemeckis and Spielberg knocked him back.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like Lucas's writing, it's weird and distinctive and angsty in kind of a fun way.

I feel like his style never quite got out of dreamy/angsty Modesto adolescence.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've been rewatching Andor with Spacewoman and it's been fun to see a lot of little things get built up. At the party Mon tells Tay that there are three people who know what she's really doing and at that point we've only seen two (Luthen and Kleya). Maarva and Luthen both have several lines that are unrefined versions of things they'll say in their big speeches later on.

Bail Organa is presumably the third.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I forgot just how good looking the Bad Batch is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kefkafloyd posted:

Bail Organa is presumably the third.

Pretty sure it's Vel lol. Though assuming that's not a writer mistake it could imply that Bail isn't on the same side yet

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Why is it that in a galaxy that has droids, the bad guys still use living slaves?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I think they state in the show at one point they’re cheaper and more easily replaceable than droids.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

StashAugustine posted:

Pretty sure it's Vel lol. Though assuming that's not a writer mistake it could imply that Bail isn't on the same side yet

He's not. That happens in Rebels.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fartknocker posted:

I think they state in the show at one point they’re cheaper and more easily replaceable than droids.

Yeah, buying/building droids is probably more expensive than just grabbing people off the street, convicting them of bullshit charges, and throwing them in prison factories. Especially when said prisons are designed to require minimal staffing and they have little compunction about murdering non-compliant individuals or even whole floors.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Kurzon posted:

Why is it that in a galaxy that has droids, the bad guys still use living slaves?

Aside from being cheaper (free) compared with droids, I think a part of the reason is simple population control. Anybody with a "rebellious" attitude, proven or suspected, is locked up as a security measure and has the additional benefit of being useful to the empire in some way in the case of labor camps.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Plus droids, outside of the exceptional ones that are heroes in their own right, tend to be incredibly specialized to the point of being single-function. If you have a load lifter, you can have it lift loads. If you have a slave, they can do that kind of manual labor schlepping stuff, or feed you grapes, serve as majordomo, be trained as a scribe. Etc etc. It's a much more flexible labor pool to draw on.

On top of that and even grimmer, for someone like the Hutt cartels it's probably a status thing/punishment/warning.

Anyone can own a Droid. Owning a person is a flex of your power. And a warning that you can make slaves of anyone who crosses or fails you.

Of course any musing along these lines gets close to the third rail thet flirt with but seldom address head on: Droids are slaves, and so are clones.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Beardcrumb posted:

Aside from being cheaper (free) compared with droids, I think a part of the reason is simple population control. Anybody with a "rebellious" attitude, proven or suspected, is locked up as a security measure and has the additional benefit of being useful to the empire in some way in the case of labor camps.

This is definitely giving Lucas too much credit, but the films do suggest that Palpatine himself wants to maximize the amount of fear and hate in the galaxy. From the prequels, where he not only operates both sides of a war but deliberately seems to arrange for one side to consist of aliens who use droids and one side of (human) clones, to the originals, where Vader seems contemptuous of the Death Star but Palpatine sees value in it. "Fear" is a deliberate by-product, and maybe less to keep systems in line than to generate fear and hatred on a galactic scale. Even the way Imperial systems and agencies operate seems designed to maximize the amount of fear, hate, and aggression at the cost of efficiency or efficacy.

Droids do not offer anything to Dark Side users. Slaves and prisoners must be massive fear and hatred generators, and they can cheaply do the labor necessary to construct another fear and hatred generator.

If this all seems implausible, it isn't. Real fascism often works in this way. If people must depend solely on the Party and fear or hate everyone else, then they must support the Party because they have nothing outside of it. (Works for cults, too, I hear.)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Another possible reason for not using droid labor on a large scale; apparent simplicity of control.

Control over living beings appears simple. Living beings want to live/remain unhurt and you are in a position to kill/hurt them if they don't do what you want.

Control over droids is contingent on complex programming inside them that tells that they will serve you. Verifying that this is also the case is likely something that requires skilled labor to inspect the individual droid in question. If someone figures out how to subvert just one of these droids, they've likely just figured out how to subvert all of them.

The Empire's mistake was forgetting that living beings stop being deterred by fear of dying or getting hurt if they realize that there's no hope of avoiding it through submission.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Narsham posted:

This is definitely giving Lucas too much credit, but the films do suggest that Palpatine himself wants to maximize the amount of fear and hate in the galaxy. From the prequels, where he not only operates both sides of a war but deliberately seems to arrange for one side to consist of aliens who use droids and one side of (human) clones, to the originals, where Vader seems contemptuous of the Death Star but Palpatine sees value in it. "Fear" is a deliberate by-product, and maybe less to keep systems in line than to generate fear and hatred on a galactic scale. Even the way Imperial systems and agencies operate seems designed to maximize the amount of fear, hate, and aggression at the cost of efficiency or efficacy.

Thank God Lucas sold it to Disney instead of WB "That's the POWER OF FEEEAAARR!" lol

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

It surprises me to say it (never watched the original film, only snippets here and there) and I am a couple of episodes behind but I'm actually rather enjoying Willow's mostly silly, fun D&D buds campaign vibe as opposed to most other fantasy fare of late. Elora, Boorman and Kit are a fun trio bouncing off each other, and the ep in the Wildwood was adorable.

Yeah, I love it. My one complaint is what the gently caress happened in like episode three or so when Elora runs off into the woods, which are dark and misty and spooky and suddenly finds herself at a well lit clearing containing a log cabin with Penn and Teller but cowboy lesbians? I was expecting some sort of enchantment or twist but no.

That was weird.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I just wanted to thank the people who recommended A More Civilized Age a while back - have been slowly working through (savouring, really) their episodes on Andor. It does a really good job of balancing humour with insightful literary and political analysis, and really fleshes out and explores just about all the little nooks and crannies in each episode that you could want.

I uh, cannot see myself watching the Clone Wars or any of the other cartoons, but I'm definitely looking forward to going back and seeing their takes on the prequels.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, I love it. My one complaint is what the gently caress happened in like episode three or so when Elora runs off into the woods, which are dark and misty and spooky and suddenly finds herself at a well lit clearing containing a log cabin with Penn and Teller but cowboy lesbians? I was expecting some sort of enchantment or twist but no.

That was weird.

I was also expecting some twist but no, it was exactly as it seemed and felt very out of place.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I uh, cannot see myself watching the Clone Wars or any of the other cartoons, but I'm definitely looking forward to going back and seeing their takes on the prequels.

Is it the artstyle that puts you off? The scope of it? Too many people saying it's the best thing since sliced bread?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Narsham posted:

deliberately seems to arrange for one side to consist of aliens who use droids and one side of (human) clones

The only reason that the bad guys used droids was so that Jedi could hack them apart and not get the movie rated NC-17

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Vinylshadow posted:

Is it the artstyle that puts you off? The scope of it? Too many people saying it's the best thing since sliced bread?

The consensus from the podcasters (and a lot of people in this thread) is that the ratio of fluff/bad stuff to "pretty good" is not that high, and I've got so many more promising things in my backlog.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Oh yeah? Well, in one episode Mace Windu teams up with Jar Jar. Checkmate.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

sad question posted:

It's better than it has any right to be, yes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sad question posted:

To make it even worse the villain is Mother Talzin.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was also expecting some twist but no, it was exactly as it seemed and felt very out of place.
For me I felt a vibe of "this is something weird that we just aren't going to explain...now"

The world expanding seems to be driving toward something bigger than defeat the crone/free Arik in the season finale next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/goingrogue_pod/status/1611710432372490242?s=20