Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

You Are A Elf posted:

Whenever this intro right here started while you were enjoying cartoons, it foretold what follows is going to be a lovely cartoon when you realize the same studio did "What's Opera, Doc?" only a decade prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIllukZI9WM

That era of Looney Tunes also introduced new forgettable characters like Cool Cat, the Poochie-est Poochie character ever created.

Some pushy dopes in 1967: "Kids like [literal] 'hep' cats that talk in beatnik slang, right?"

Yeah. Those cartoons suck, but that modernist WB logo and discordant horns absolutely rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Never liked Doug, but I loved when Vsauce did their impression of Mr. Dink.

It's amazing that a man can spit so much when he talks without dying of dehydration.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Home Movies was good

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Doug sucked and would be an incel these days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Doug sucked and would be an incel these days.

He'd totally be pining for Patty Mayonnaise 20 years later.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

Let's do Doug next.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955506&pagenumber=1

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Doug sucked rear end. He always made everything about himself and was a fuckass friend to Skeeter. One episode dealt with the revelation that Skeeter was a literal genius, and Doug became insanely jealous of him because he felt he couldn’t control dumb ol’ Skeeter anymore. If I was Skeeter, I would have told Doug to gently caress off after that HONK! HONK!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

He'd totally be pining for Patty Mayonnaise 20 years later.

quote:

Doug's creator Jim Jinkins has FINALLY revealed whether Doug Funnie got together with his lifelong crush, Patti Mayonnaise.

The animator told EW that he's already written the scene revealing whether the pair became a couple - and, like so much of Doug's story, it's based on Jinkins's real life.

"It's my ten-year reunion, and I didn't go," Jinkins explained of the real-life events on which the scene's based. "And I got a phone call in New York and it's Patti. The real Patti. And my heart's beating fast."

The real Patti, who made it to the Doug reunion, had found out that Jinkins lived near her in New York and invited him over to her place that night for dinner.

"I'm like, what do I wear? What will she look like!? All that's happening as I'm walking across Central Park to her apartment, just wondering and just hoping, all those things. I was, at the time, very available.

"... She opens the door, and she's perfect. Just perfect. She just looks spectacular and she's so happy, and her arms fly up and we hug.

"She backs up and she goes 'Look, Jimmy! Boobs! I got my boobs!' 'Yeah, they always used to call me Flatty Patti, but look!' And she was just funny and fun and innocent, but it's like Doug and Patti together again, ten years later, right?"

And then, sadly, real-life Patti dropped a bombshell, telling Jinkins: "Oh Jimmy, I want you to meet my husband."

So there you go - Doug and Patti don't end up together because Patti cruelly went and got married.

"It doesn't happen because, really, most people don't end up with their first love," Jinkins added.

But we can't just leave you like that, so here's a silver lining: "Meanwhile, Doug has this friend of his, a girl, who he's always pouring his heart out to about how [Patti's] killing him," Jinkins went on.

"And naturally, I guess maybe it's a little predictable, but that's the one. That's the one he's comfortable enough to bear his soul to in his next phase of life, that he discovers he's in love with and didn't even know it. My guess is that it would be something like that."
Lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goddamn she didn't have to do him like that tho

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Empty Sandwich posted:

yeah, the later ones were much worse. not as bad in some ways as contemporary H-B.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSVnc-7eTk

That's a great short.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

"Dear diary. I realized lowering expectations and taking literally anything when it's dire is the way to go. I'm perfectly fine and mentally well off. As long as I got what's-her-name by my side forever."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
For no particular reason, the other day I wound up thinking about "Homer's Triple Bypass," and how Lisa's immediate response to the situation is to research the condition and the surgery. Just struck me as a really nice character moment for her.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cocaine Bear posted:

Let's do Doug next.

Doug is the only reason I know what silt is.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"She backs up and she goes 'Look, Jimmy! Boobs! I got my boobs!' 'Yeah, they always used to call me Flatty Patti, but look!' And she was just funny and fun and innocent, but it's like Doug and Patti together again, ten years later, right?"

I can't imagine reacting to this pronouncement in any way other than :chloe:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Keromaru5 posted:

For no particular reason, the other day I wound up thinking about "Homer's Triple Bypass," and how Lisa's immediate response to the situation is to research the condition and the surgery. Just struck me as a really nice character moment for her.

For sure. That ep also has the birthplace of Edgar Allen Poe going off a cliff in flames, definitely a losing my mind laughing moment when I was a kid and it still holds up.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Best Doug moment is when he punches Mr. Dink in the dick.

https://youtu.be/vl8JTGOtJ0Q

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

You Are A Elf posted:

Looney Tunes were still being shown every Saturday morning on ABC up until 2000 when they became exclusive to Cartoon Network. This intro is burned into my brain, and I expect the My Buddy/Kid Sister commercial to follow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY

That baby kangaroo is something I completely memory holed. Didn’t it used to kick Sylvester’s rear end because he thought it was a big mouse?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ralph Hurley posted:

That baby kangaroo is something I completely memory holed. Didn’t it used to kick Sylvester’s rear end because he thought it was a big mouse?

And then the mom showed up and Sylvester goes nuts at seeing a giant two-headed four-armed mouse.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ccubed posted:

That's a great short.

cripes I forgot to say that some of them (like that one) are still solid

and the Daffy gunslinger one (ones?)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Steamed Hams, this is new-ish and its one of the best Steamed Hams-related videos I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjU_D-j7Qso

Apparently all done by the same guy too. It's fun to identify all the different styles/references.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 6, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Gotta love the head-twist in the Tracey Ullman-style clip.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I really appreciate the little Steven Universe character model dig.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like the Clutch Cargo reference, there's one for the lovely cartoon hall of fame.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Cocaine Bear posted:

Let's do Doug next.

I didn't care for it at the time but I was still content to watch it as a kid when nothing else was on. It felt too vanilla and moral compared to the edginess and gross-out humor that was all the rage in the 90s, which is all I was into

As an adult I can somewhat appreciate what they were going for. Doug was self-centered, insecure and jealous at times which is entirely normal for a 6th grader and maybe kids should learn how to deal with those feelings. The problem is that few kids watching actually wanted to see themselves in Doug. He was lame in the way most middle-schoolers are. They wanted to relate to superheroes.

You Are A Elf posted:

Whenever this intro right here started while you were enjoying cartoons, it foretold what follows is going to be a lovely cartoon when you realize the same studio did "What's Opera, Doc?" only a decade prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIllukZI9WM

Yep, this logo told me that we were in store for their B-material. Even the music sounded way cheaper, that is clearly not a full orchestra

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 7, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Steamed Hams is obviously good though so can they do screamapillar next?

Edit: I googled Ben Shapiro because I didn't know who this was and the first result was a t-shirt saying SNOWFLAKE MELTER or something so I apologise for giving this person attention.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 7, 2023

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikereisswriter/status/1612496799025008667?s=46&t=2SbnDGgKYtWH8bpLwpMSig
They’re history’s greatest monsters!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

So I watched an episode I’d never seen before where Lenny, Carl, Homer, and Moe pool their money together to play the lottery, and they end up winning $200,000 to be split four ways. Carl leaves during a big celebration to claim the money and ends up skipping town and taking the winnings with him to his original home in Iceland (he’s adopted) to clear his family’s thousand year old shame involving Vikings. When the other three guys realize Carl hosed them over and took their winnings, they follow him to Iceland to get the money back.

I gotta say, it was a very solid and straightforward episode. No bullshit wacky over-the-top foreign stereotypes. No jerkass or whiny Homer. Just a decent and nice episode about what friendship truly means while actually showcasing Iceland’s beauty instead of “LOL ICELAND IT’S NOT AMERICA SO IT’S WEIRD LMAO.”

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
No

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

You Are A Elf posted:

So I watched an episode I’d never seen before where Lenny, Carl, Homer, and Moe pool their money together to play the lottery, and they end up winning $200,000 to be split four ways. Carl leaves during a big celebration to claim the money and ends up skipping town and taking the winnings with him to his original home in Iceland (he’s adopted) to clear his family’s thousand year old shame involving Vikings. When the other three guys realize Carl hosed them over and took their winnings, they follow him to Iceland to get the money back.

I gotta say, it was a very solid and straightforward episode. No bullshit wacky over-the-top foreign stereotypes. No jerkass or whiny Homer. Just a decent and nice episode about what friendship truly means while actually showcasing Iceland’s beauty instead of “LOL ICELAND IT’S NOT AMERICA SO IT’S WEIRD LMAO.”

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. What do your neurologists say in terms of progression, etc?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

You Are A Elf posted:

So I watched an episode I’d never seen before where Lenny, Carl, Homer, and Moe pool their money together to play the lottery

Hmm, interesting... :hmmyes:

quote:

and they end up winning $200,000 to be split four ways

Oh yeah, like when Bart, Milhouse and Martin bought the comic and they did a Treasure of Sierra Madre parody? That was pretty cool, maybe I should watch this episode.

quote:

Carl leaves during a big celebration to claim the money and ends up skipping town and taking the winnings with him to his original home in Iceland (he’s adopted)

Wait what.

quote:

to clear his family’s thousand year old shame involving Vikings.

Nice try You Are A Elf, you almost got me. :rolleyes:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Riptor posted:

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. What do your neurologists say in terms of progression, etc?

The doctors tell me it’s terminal. I’ve got the dumb :(

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The episode is called "The Saga of Carl" S24E21

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Doug was rendered obsolete when Hey Arnold came along. Even when I was 8 I thought Doug was a weiner.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Arnold at least had the edge of an unconventional home life and being really easy-going about weird poo poo. He was Doug's sister without the pretense. A legit good lad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/977294738767339520

(most of these cartoons were after my time, so I'm afraid I can't join in the Hey Arnold love.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Keromaru5 posted:

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/977294738767339520

(most of these cartoons were after my time, so I'm afraid I can't join in the Hey Arnold love.)

:same:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I vaguely recognise them, but what are Dog Doug and Alien Doug from?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Dog Doug's from Teacher's Pet, I think?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Beartaco posted:

I vaguely recognise them, but what are Dog Doug and Alien Doug from?

I recognize and remember the names and small bits from them, but never really watched either. Dog Doug is "teachers pet" about a dog that decides he's going to start talking and attending school. Alien Doug is "Lloyd in space." about... an alien. Maybe his name was actually Floyd? That's the show that had the episode where he and his friends spent an episode trying to figure out the gender of a genderless alien, if I remember right. It ended with said alien basically telling them to gently caress off (in a g-rated way of course), if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carl's Icelandic upbringing is first mentioned in season 14 when he remarks that a bright night reminds him of his Icelandic boyhood.

A decent throwaway joke.

The Iceland episode itself is ok I guess.