Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh interesting.... I'll give something similar a shot. My resident cat HATES being cooped up so I'll have to be clever.

Thanks!

We used uh, this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Thickened-Resistant-Kitchen-Closure/dp/B09T5P2QHV iirc to basically cordon off two areas that we could trade between them so one wasn't just stuck in a room while the other roamed around

It was especially rough because for the newest guy Pavarotti, he got his name from his extremely loud meows. And boy howdy would he cry and cry when he was stuck away from us. But it was sticky enough to hold them standing against it and worked well enough for the time it had to stay up at least! There are probably cheaper ones as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Weird Pumpkin posted:

We used uh, this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Thickened-Resistant-Kitchen-Closure/dp/B09T5P2QHV iirc to basically cordon off two areas that we could trade between them so one wasn't just stuck in a room while the other roamed around

It was especially rough because for the newest guy Pavarotti, he got his name from his extremely loud meows. And boy howdy would he cry and cry when he was stuck away from us. But it was sticky enough to hold them standing against it and worked well enough for the time it had to stay up at least! There are probably cheaper ones as well

Oh poo poo, this is exactly the kind of thing I was lamenting I couldn't find! I want to cordon off the top floor and let new cat Jack

Roam about up there while still giving old cat Max

free roam about the rest of the house. Then I can swap them as you recommend!

Thanks so much for the link!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

What's fighting? If it's full on claws-out-I-will-murder-you-screaming, then yes, that's a big set back. If it's run up and slappy fight that's the sort of dominance display that cats eventually get into so they can sort out their boundaries and social hierarchy.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

kw0134 posted:

What's fighting? If it's full on claws-out-I-will-murder-you-screaming, then yes, that's a big set back. If it's run up and slappy fight that's the sort of dominance display that cats eventually get into so they can sort out their boundaries and social hierarchy.

They've done some of the dominance batting before when I've let them interact through a cracked door but tonight's display was a full on fur in the air fight.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
We’ve come to terms with one dedicated bedroom cat while the natives run the rest of the house. I just don’t have enough free time to build a custom gate to help with integrating.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have two cats who really used to go at each other, but they don't ever any more now that they're a bit older. We have some younger (five years old) cats who still cause trouble with each other though, but I think that kind of stuff just gets better with time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you for all of the great information regarding sleeping temps! Apologies for taking a day to respond.

kw0134 posted:

So, cats are desert creatures who are normally used to a high resting temp (they love sunbeams for a reason). But deserts also get cold at night! And they deal with this with dens that retain heat. You don't need to run a space heater 24x7 to accomplish this; a small enclosed space where their natural body heat will raise temps around them is fine. That's how feral cats in much colder climes deal with winters. If they're a bonded pair and sleep on top of each other in a cat bed with a cover then they'll be cozier than you'll be.

They do not have a cat bed- but I can get them one. They own an entire couch that is, like, THEIR couch, which they lay on primarily because it's next to me while I work from home. They've so far not shown a ton of interest in such an arrangement- we put a very cozy cat carrier in the room for them and they NEVER use it- I just have the heated pads which can be found here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S9M2U4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put two on the couch next to each other so they can lay out on it. They really like it, but not as much as my elderly 14 year old orange tabby, who probably spends like 80% of the day on his heated pad. He loves that pad and may live several additional years just to use it more.

pidan posted:

I'd say it depends on what kind of cat they are. If they're Siberian longhair cats I'd worry less than if they're sphynxes or other very short haired cats.

If they have a heated blanket that might be enough to tide them over. Maybe you can even use another (normal) blanket to make them a little heated tent to hide under. But keep an eye out for fire hazards!

If they're too cold they'll show it by curling up, hiding their feet and tail under their body, and generally being sluggish. If they start shivering you should warm them up as soon as possible.

I don't think they are shorthairs... but I will post some pictures. I can't say I've seen them literally shivering but the cold house phenomenon is pretty new.

Gorgar posted:

…then you must post pictures, because aww.

They're pretty adorable, Miles and Molly are their names, we rescued them about a month ago and they are 8 months old.

Miles in particular has this extremely long and fluffy tail that somehow hangs FORWARD and bops his head constantly. Is there a term for that? I've never seen that kind of tail configuration, and its incredibly amusing.

Our elder cat Cruz just got a stomach bug and almost died (and my wife was, of course, traveling at the time) but after lots of vet help he's doing great now but lost his meow presumably due to the throwing up. So send some love to that little guy too.

if you guys really do think they need an enclosed cat bed, ok, any recommendations? They haven't indicated a super strong preference for anything like that, and sleep bundled up together on the heated pads, but I'll do whatever, they're my babies.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 6, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are shorthairs but the fur will still keep them warm enough assuming it's warm enough for you to not be shivering. Just give them a cozy place to curl up and they'll be able to manage.

I've seen extremely long cat tails referred to as bottle brushes but usually in reference to long hair cats. I'm not sure what the internet has determined a shorthair with a long tail to be.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Taima posted:

They're pretty adorable, Miles and Molly are their names, we rescued them about a month ago and they are 8 months old.

Pictures deliver! Congrats on some excellent cats.

I don't think an enclosed bed is necessary if they don't like to hide in things. Heated pad should be fine. You could always put that space heater on at its lowest temperature, just so it doesn't get too cold.

I'm in the Chicago area and there's a little cat living outside that sleeps on a heated pad on my back patio, because she's too scared to come in. Seems to be doing ok. I think yours will do fine.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Taima posted:

Miles in particular has this extremely long and fluffy tail that somehow hangs FORWARD and bops his head constantly. Is there a term for that? I've never seen that kind of tail configuration, and its incredibly amusing.
Our tuxedo cat has that. She will actually touch the top of her head with her tail, usually when greeting us or when trying to get early dinner. Her tail isn't fluffy like your cat's but it is long for her body size.
We actually asked our vet about it since we'd never seen that either, and apparently it's a rare mutation and just extra flexibility. As long as Miles doesn't seem uncomfortable it should be fine.

Edit: this is as close as I could get to a non-shaky photo as she moves around too drat much. It's not even the full extension as she can touch the back of her head with it:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 6, 2023

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Does anybody have any experience with the Litter Robot 4? I'm thinking about getting one for the other side of house to go along with the LR3 I have now but I've seen quite a few people mad on the internet about the new one. Edit: Specifically about the reliability of the new model I mean.

Shameless cat post:

Bill Nye The Science Cat

Salvador Dali

Magritte

Hope ( She recently moved in - is still unsure about these other dudes in the house)

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Hi, hello, is it okay for me to post kitten photos in here?

I think I'm going to call her Pazuzu.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Omg, those little brown bat ears.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HellOnEarth posted:

The problem is why aren't you posting more kitten photos.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Absolutely adorable!!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

It is not ok not to post kitten photos in here. Post ‘em if you got ‘em!

That said, here’s Pumpkin

https://i.imgur.com/WxPPi23.jpg

And this is Whiskers

https://i.imgur.com/lOnMyPe.jpg

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

HellOnEarth posted:

I think I'm going to call her Pazuzu.

He snoot too big for he gotdang face

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kitten posting?

Meet Patches:

Loud purr!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The kittens wanted to show everyone their heated pad. I bought 2 but they decided they only needed one:

It's pretty cool actually it heats up only when they lay on it (this is probably normal but it impressed me, a person who knows nothing about this stuff)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just some candidates from around the apartment

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nope, don't believe you. You'll have to post videos for proof. Lots of videos.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just a picture of my fuzz ball napping

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Miles decided to be very photogenic today.,

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 7, 2023

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Taima posted:

Miles decided to be very photogenic today.,

Oh!! How handsome!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We live by wildlands, and by wildlands I mean "at least one bear." Every few months a dead mouse shows up on the floor. Not half a dead mouse, a whole mouse. This is an enormous improvement over our previous cats' technique. Well done, whichever cat did the hunting. Diana is more flamboyant about pouncing on things, but we suspect Byakko is the actual death machine; she's sneaky.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Pazuzu... She spent the first 22 hours cowering, hiding and otherwise being very frightened but then perked up around noon today when I was lying next to her carrier on the bathroom floor. She came out and cuddled under my chin. She's still hiding in the bathroom but it's behind the door in the corner next to the radiator and if I go in there, she'll come out. I think it's just a cozy spot.

She's very sweet and loves her spring toy ... she hates all the treats I've tried her on. Doesn't like the Tiki Cat churu-alike, doesn't like the freeze-dried tuna bits.... Maybe I'll see how she feels about Temptations?

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 9, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Please send help, buried under pile of Catte.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

HellOnEarth posted:

Pazuzu... She spent the first 22 hours cowering, hiding and otherwise being very frightened but then perked up around noon today when I was lying next to her carrier on the bathroom floor. She came out and cuddled under my chin. She's still hiding in the bathroom but it's behind the door in the corner next to the radiator and if I go in there, she'll come out. I think it's just a cozy spot.

She's very sweet and loves her spring toy ... she hates all the treats I've tried her on. Doesn't like the Tiki Cat churu-alike, doesn't like the freeze-dried tuna bits.... Maybe I'll see how she feels about Temptations?

A baby Siamese!! The pickiest, yet sweetest. Save those baby photos as she'll probably darken as she ages and it's fun to compare.

Different flavors and textures are a good way to go. She may warm up to some of those other treats when she's more comfortable, too.

Keep spending time with her where she is comfortable and she'll be roaming the house, meezing at you just for fun, in no time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My 10 year old cat suddenly has developed diarrhea. At first I thought it was from eating pine needles from our Xmas tree (which he would throw up and occasionally poop out), but we got rid of the tree and it's still occurring. I took him to the vet and got him on fortiflora (which he loves) and metronidazole (which he hates). Been about 4 days and it still hasn't gone away. The stool is still soft / unformed - though it has turned from bright brown to a normal medium brown. I'll probably call my vet to go get an ultrasound to see if there's any other blockage, but kind of unsure what else to do. He still eats and drinks normally, doesn't seem dehydrated, though he is a tad bit lethargic (I'm chalking that to the new meds).

I got a new bag of food on the way, in case the bag I have is tainted (he's on urinary SO from previous bladder blockages), but aside from that... no idea :sigh: wondering if I should switch him to reduced ingredient diet, if something is bothering his GI tract. He definitely scrounges around our kitchen looking for scraps so I do wonder if he's getting into something he shouldn't be.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

seiferguy posted:

My 10 year old cat suddenly has developed diarrhea. At first I thought it was from eating pine needles from our Xmas tree (which he would throw up and occasionally poop out), but we got rid of the tree and it's still occurring. I took him to the vet and got him on fortiflora (which he loves) and metronidazole (which he hates). Been about 4 days and it still hasn't gone away. The stool is still soft / unformed - though it has turned from bright brown to a normal medium brown. I'll probably call my vet to go get an ultrasound to see if there's any other blockage, but kind of unsure what else to do. He still eats and drinks normally, doesn't seem dehydrated, though he is a tad bit lethargic (I'm chalking that to the new meds).

I got a new bag of food on the way, in case the bag I have is tainted (he's on urinary SO from previous bladder blockages), but aside from that... no idea :sigh: wondering if I should switch him to reduced ingredient diet, if something is bothering his GI tract. He definitely scrounges around our kitchen looking for scraps so I do wonder if he's getting into something he shouldn't be.

You've basically listed all the possibilities:
- cat is eating something he shouldn't be
- cat has suddenly developed an intolerance to his food
- bad batch of food
- other illness that a vet needs to diagnose

If the new bag of food doesn't help I'd certainly talk to the vet again. Since you're already giving probiotics I don't think there's much else you can do. Maybe you could also check his water supply to see if there's anything that could cause a problem, maybe going so far as to boil water (long) before giving it to him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

pidan posted:

You've basically listed all the possibilities:
- cat is eating something he shouldn't be
- cat has suddenly developed an intolerance to his food
- bad batch of food
- other illness that a vet needs to diagnose

If the new bag of food doesn't help I'd certainly talk to the vet again. Since you're already giving probiotics I don't think there's much else you can do. Maybe you could also check his water supply to see if there's anything that could cause a problem, maybe going so far as to boil water (long) before giving it to him.

Yeah, the last visit they basically didn't see anything else:

- normal temp
- nothing immediately noticeable by checking his body
- nothing in the stool sample analysis

Cats are weird!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We just had a cat (who's almost 6 years old and has had intermittent diarrhea her whole life) get diagnosed with tritrichomonas foetus. Vet said they recently switched to a more sensitive stool analysis and it came up positive. Not suggesting that's what you're seeing here.. only that if the vet isn't finding anything doesn't mean there's not something there. So it comes down to how much time and effort (and money) you want to spend to really figure it out.

If it clears up in a week or so maybe it's not worth a bunch of homework but if it comes back no one's gonna care about a solution as much as you so be willing to push a little harder.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Could use some advice!

Cat had surgery a week ago. Sarcoma wrapped around her scapula, had to amputate a limb. Surgery site isn't healed yet - still sutures/staples present.

She's been OK for the most part but today she had an accident - got into the litter box, stuck her butt right up against the wall and tried to poop. Predictably it kind of went everywhere. Cleaning the box and around it? Easy. Cleaning HER up? Not so easy. I can't give her a bath because, y'know, surgery. I got some cat wipes and used a dozen or so to try to wipe her down as much as I could but it had dried on there pretty good. I had to cut some of the fur off in that area because it just wasn't softening enough to get off with the wipes.

Wondering if anyone knows of like, some kind of amazing trick to cleaning her butt because she can't do it and the wipes are... working but not nearly as well as I would hope.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have to do a cat wipedown every once in a while, if they aren't used to it there's no good way. If they squirm uncontrollable, purrito them or get someone to hold them while you wipe. You don't have to get every last bit of poo off, they'll take care of that themselves. Well, normally. Maybe recovering from surgery will mess things up a bit.

But warm water and lots of paper towels are what we use. Stubborn clingons get the scissors.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah she can't really clean herself right now and I don't want her to try what with being stapled up on one side. I'd much rather wipe poop off a bum than have her stretch too much trying to lick and tear open the suture/staple site.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Depending on how still she'd be and how close the sutures are you could maybe fill a bucket with warm water and gently pour cupfuls over the affected area in the bathtub? I recently bathed one of mine with an e-tube in and it went OK.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Depending on how still she'd be and how close the sutures are you could maybe fill a bucket with warm water and gently pour cupfuls over the affected area in the bathtub? I recently bathed one of mine with an e-tube in and it went OK.

The sutures aren't that close - they're up front, covering where her front right limb was - but she'd be ANYTHING BUT STILL so unfortunately that idea isn't going to work well for her.

Spending 20 minutes with wipes and scissors wasn't pleasant but it worked so :shrug:

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!
I’ve been putting off asking here for dumb reasons but I have a 15 year old indoor male cat we’ve had almost his entire life that my wife is totally fed up with and demanding we put to sleep ASAP because he basically poops everywhere due to suspected IBS. He seems otherwise active, happy, and healthy, he just has massive diarrhea every time he goes to use the litter box and it often gets everywhere and outside of it.

While obviously gross, I don’t think it would be as critical if it was just around the litter box but unfortunately he basically sharts at least once a week somewhere else in the house, whether on the floor, his bed or often on our bed’s covers while he sleeps on my legs or in the crook of my arm at night. It’s usually not a massive amount but it is disruptive, extremely smelly, and unhygienic, plus our young kids often run into our bedroom and sleep in our bed, so when it happens at 3 in the morning, it wakes up everyone when we have to take the covers off, change to a new one, put in washing machine, etc.

I travel somewhat regularly for work and he gets separation anxiety which seems to make it worse and this week he pooped on 2 chairs he sleeps on when I’m not there, which is what pushed my wife over the edge since she woke up to clean it.

We have tried taking him to the vet but he gets extremely agitated and refuses to allow them to examine them, to the degree they didn’t try too much since they were afraid he could have a heart attack and they can’t really do much for him without that apparently. We can afford whatever treatment within reason but we obviously wouldn’t spend thousands and thousands of dollars for an elderly cat.

I obviously love my wife and family but also dearly love my cat and I’m struggling to accept that he might need to be put to sleep for something that is gross but not behavioral/intentional so am looking for any way to mitigate this given the situation and hopefully find some way(s) to better treat this but the few things we have tried haven’t worked. Has anyone dealt with something this or have any advice?

tldr: older cat sharts everywhere and we can’t really treat him currently, my wife wants to put him to sleep

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've seen some cats with diapers, could that be an option? Especially if the problem mainly happens at night and the main issue is having to clean up after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I don't see why your vet can't just prescribe the medicine for IBS if that's what they suspect. I'll get poo poo on (heh?) for saying this as usual but maybe your vet just loving sucks.

I dunno, putting a member of your family down without even at least trying simple, safe & cheap medication first seems like a pretty huge & disturbing leap. Hell, even a diet change might help.

(could also be parasites and again just simple meds and all better... they only need to check the poop not the cat and even a half decent vet should know that)

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 12, 2023