Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

We’ve yet to see the guardianship building come “under attack”. I’m not sure where the forces massed against it are hiding, When it all kicks off, I’m sure it’ll be like Attack On Titan. Carnage.

The breakfast that Lottie is describes is a popular dip in New Zealand. I’ve had it prepared for me and it is everything you would hope it would be, a dream in a bowl.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That's true Aotearoa culture right there

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Onion Dip is incredible

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The owners of Bean There are a mysterious pair, and I’m not sure that we’ll discover their inner lives any time soon.

Also: who is that handy man?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

John A posted:

The owners of Bean There are a mysterious pair, and I’m not sure that we’ll discover their inner lives any time soon.

Also: who is that handy man?

Yes.. ha ha ha... YES!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

^^^^ :hmmyes:

John A posted:

No one can idle with Claire on their case. She has a hummingbird’s metabolism and sees the world at twice the speed we do.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I don’t want you to take the astral projection in this comic literally. We’d all like to astral project, come on, but Claire only pretends that she can.

Speaking of imaginary things, I’m not sure I believe the fantasy of the Lindt Chocolatier Universe. Too glossy.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I hope Lottie getting Glenn's name right is a turning point. Towards what, I don't know, but it certainly feels like one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Some people in the comments are wondering if that's Daisy's hair on the right hand side of the bus.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Meadowhall is an iconic shopping centre in Sheffield. It is one of the UK’s first huge American-style shopping malls and needless to say it closed a lot of shops in the city centre just like every other one of them. Thanks a lot, the 1990s!

Of course, time heals all wounds and now Meadowhall is part of the South Yorkshire fabric, like bus drivers calling you “love”. It even appeared as Self Esteem’s bra at Glastonbury. Quite the moment.

There’s a little New Zealand reference in today’s comic that I hope someone will spot.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

There’s a little New Zealand reference in today’s comic that I hope someone will spot.

Could be the red socks but if not I'm stumped.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Could be the red socks but if not I'm stumped.

Ah! It's the shop names, they're all a line from a Tim Finn song.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Props for not giving up!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Glenn's from Te Awamutu? Hamilton would have been the nearest "big" city. Christ.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

I would go halves on an ice cream van with Little Claire. She has a good head on her shoulders

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

And there's a better-than-zero chance all your competitors would be destroyed in a mysterious fire incident.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1616129213668392961?s=20&t=Am_YBScsvkobrwIK6y_OYQ

:hellyeah:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's pretty great we are not only getting a new story with Shauna, but a detective one, and with Max Sarin et al!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Mildred is still my favorite Mystery Teen, but Claire is probably my favorite Mystery Twenty-Something

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I think Claire and Glenn bought themselves those trophies. Or maybe bought them for each other.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The cocoa guy is about to ring the doorbell and show up for dinner, isn't he? Or already be in the next room mixing drinks.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

... though there's definitely many a young adult who has discovered that the secret to great home-cooked food is enough melted butter to drown a man, and then tactically deploys this knowledge in stew-like melanges

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sundae posted:

The cocoa guy is about to ring the doorbell and show up for dinner, isn't he? Or already be in the next room mixing drinks.

Close, but somewhat less graceful.

John A posted:

Cupping World (one for sharp-eyed readers) refers to coffee cuppings, which are… like wine tasting? Not the thing where you get a lot of round bruises after paying someone £70. I don’t believe in the miracle powers of that sort of cupping.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Claire and Glenn do quite a good impression of the classic parental inquisition. Claire’s “vibe” took a little picture research from the 1990s.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Both Shelley Winters and Esther de Groot occasionally fell for himbos. I don’t think either of those women walked the length of the counter when making most of their romantic selections. We’ll have to trust that Lottie is a better judge of character.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Danger of Himbos

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Behold! Nero's getting rich plan!

John A posted:

That’s the flag of Norfolk. Norfolk is a county in England. It’s very flat. It doesn’t contain any motorways. Annoying, because you could really burn it up on that good flat track.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Romance has entered Lottie’s life and we are just going to have to get used to it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Been lurking in the thread so far, but just wanna say I appreciate being able to catch up here. I adored Bad Machinery and seeing the Mystery Teens grow, had fun with Giant Days even though Susan dragged down the experience for me and this latest series feels like a nice way of checking into old friends.

Interesting to see Dean again and find him doing well, not to mention the whole self-awareness of him being not easy to get along with earlier. Weirdly enough, I always thought the later issues of Giant Days were trying to set up a romance between him and Esther. There were multiple hints, too. Like the fact that, unlike Ed, he doesn't put Esther on a pedestal and knows the chaos she's capable of, or that part where they had to look after Dean's pet together, or when Esther went to a nude painting class and thought the model (who was implied to be Dean) was hot.

Maybe it was supposed to be a plot development but got dropped because John Allison wanted to be done with the series?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really a fan of Lottie being romantically involved. Yeah, we've seen her harbor crushes before during Space is The Place, but Lottie not being into relationships was what set her apart from Esther and Shelley.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Been lurking in the thread so far, but just wanna say I appreciate being able to catch up here.

Thanks, that's good to know. It's hard to tell sometimes if it's still worth keeping this thread updated every week; glad to hear it's not just me posting to the void.

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it was supposed to be a plot development but got dropped because John Allison wanted to be done with the series?

I never got that feeling myself. Like, something could have happened, but it didn't, and they are better off for it. Just like in real life, you don't get to date everyone you have a tiny bit of chemistry with.

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really a fan of Lottie being romantically involved.

Oh, I am. Lottie's been under a major slump for years, what with her friends moving away, her detective skills not being good enough to pursue professionally, and she has just hit 20 and left the nest. This sort of thing was bound to happen eventually, and I'm extremely amused to see she (being something of a weeb) picking a tiny K-pop wannabe guy, while not being immediately able to see he's a complete idiot. She will quickly grow out this infatuation based on looks alone, but right now it's entertaining to watch, plus gives ol' Glenn a chance to finally do something considering he's the mutest part of this partnership/dynamic they have going together.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lottie was always going to date someone eventually, and it was always going to be a disaster.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I find it weirder that Nero's idiocy is so informed when he fits in perfectly with the expectations and mannerisms of everybody else in the story, let alone the setting. :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I think it was more a running gag. There's no way that Esther would have dated Dean.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Doomykins posted:

I find it weirder that Nero's idiocy is so informed when he fits in perfectly with the expectations and mannerisms of everybody else in the story, let alone the setting. :v:

Being dumb in comics is always kind of an informed trait. I've been reading A Girl and Her Fed lately and been nonplussed by the teenage "himbo" who, honestly, strikes me as a perfectly intelligent lad who just doesn't share the priorities of the adults around him, and I'm not really sure whether the author is doing this on purpose or not.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

John Allison realising he has to write a simple dialogue page and keeping himself entertained with composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Aww, Lottie's first stupid boyfriend! Bless, the little late bloomer