Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

All I remember about my reconstructive shoulder surgery was when they injected the nerve block in my neck and my arm involuntarily spasmed like a flopping fish out of water.

That was a trip.

Also, just so happy about how this is shaping up I think I'm gonna donate again. It's almost at $8m now, and I can't fukken wait to see the reaction.

I hope (but am sure) there will be a camera crew to document how this goes down afterwards when they start actually deploying this out to the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My dad had surgery and I was there when he was coming out. The nurse saw he was stirring and she asked him how he was doing. He slurred out "who are you?" and she replied "I'm your nurse Lisa." In his haze, he clearly misheard her as he angrily declared "Lethal? That's a terrible name for a nurse" before going back to sleep.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I have had a number of sedations over the years, but when I got my wisdom teeth removed my then girlfriend (now wife) was brought to the waiting room to pick me up and apparently I was just staring at the carpet on the floor and when I noticed she was there I just screamed "HEY BABY!" I have not called her "baby" before or since.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sash! posted:

My dad had surgery and I was there when he was coming out. The nurse saw he was stirring and she asked him how he was doing. He slurred out "who are you?" and she replied "I'm your nurse Lisa." In his haze, he clearly misheard her as he angrily declared "Lethal? That's a terrible name for a nurse" before going back to sleep.

actual lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am loving all of your stories and want to hear more, as I said in a post a few pages back post, this stuff is fascinating to me. This might sound awful and I don't know if I'm alone here but I know that one of my favorite tropes in comedy is a well timed hard-cut+jump forward in time. So a lot of head trauma stories from the perspective of someone who got rocked in the head can be extremely funny from how cartoonish they sound (as long as they were ok). Hearing Kumaru Usman's recollection of being KO'd by a headkick this year and to the best of my recollection he described it like ;

Kumaru Usman, I did my best to remember, posted:

"Alright, he's throwing jabs, so I do my thing. I've got him. I see the right comin, I step to my right and imma get him after the this one. I see the left comin, and I'll step to my left.. And then I'm sitting in an ambulance talking to an EMT asking me if I know what day it is today."

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

The first time I saw someone wake up from a cardiac arrest, she coded mid sentence (VF arrest from a big inferior MI). We defibbed her, got pulses back, then before I could secure an airway she woke up and started speaking right back where she was in her sentence. It was one of the trippiest loving things I’ve ever seen.
Yep! Had someone with an ICD or similar on a call with tech support, they suddenly stop talking and we hear commotion, then a thump and they picked back up where they left off. Found out after the fact they went into VF and got automatically treated and had no idea it happened. Wild poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

Hearing Kumaru Usman's recollection of being KO'd by a headkick this year and to the best of my recollection he described it like ;

Paraphrased, but one of PSU's QBs decades ago described getting knocked out as "I dropped back, primary receiver covered, checked for the secondary, and then there was a doctor standing over me."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sash! posted:

My grandpa used to see a Dr. Kilgore which I always thought was an extremely on the nose :black101: name for a surgeon

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

beep by grandpa posted:

I am loving all of your stories and want to hear more, as I said in a post a few pages back post, this stuff is fascinating to me.

Yeah... This isn't the thread for it so I'm not gonna get into details, but if you wanna know more about (sports-related) post-concussive PTSD, shoot me a PM.

That goes for anyone else, too.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 6, 2023

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The late Sir Terry Pratchett told a story about how when he was under sedation, lying on the table for an operation, he suddenly sat up, pointed to a corner of the room and shouted "That man has sandwiches!"

So he knew there was at least going to be sandwiches in the afterlife.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had to get a combo-wombo of a colonscopy and EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, say that three times fast!) and you get sedated for that. The last thing I remember as they counted me down was the doc jamming something in my rear end, me saying "wait wait wait", and the doc saying "too late!" An instant later I woke up going "wait wait wait", in the recovery room, haha.

I also went under for an emergency appendectomy but I didn't do anything hilarious that time.

I've lost consciousness a bunch of times because I have a condition, vasovagal syncope, which causes me to pass out if several triggers stack up. For me the biggest ones are dehydration, lack of sleep, stress, and significant pain such as serious gastro distress. So that happens like once every couple of years or so. Because the loss of consciousness is due to a sudden drop of blood pressure, I'm given to understand that the experience is more or less identical to the feeling of dying from sudden blood loss.

It sucks. It's happened 20+ times in my life and it sucks every time. When I'm in deep and I know I'm definitely going out, I'm convinced that's what dying feels like, a crushing inevitability as all kinds of sensory input disappears. People say it's like the world closing in but that's inadequate. It's more like first I can't pay attention to vision any more, then there's no such thing as balance, then sharp smell is gone, and then I'm out, and that sequence takes like 3 to 5 seconds once it starts. I've got enough experience with it now that I can feel really early onset warning signs like a deep sense of unease... I can warn people, try and get to the floor so I don't fall, it's never happened while driving but if it did I'd have time to at least pull over and kill the ignition. But I'm doing that while fighting a certain kind of panic because I know what the next step is like and it's bad.

I remember when I was really young I didn't know what was happening and it wasn't as frightening, somehow, but I've hurt myself a couple times - one time when I was in high school I hit my head on a lab bench on the way down and they called an ambulance, I was concussed, that wasn't fun. At least now I can kind of tell myself not to panic, follow a clear process, and usually warn anyone around me "I'm about to pass out" which is sometimes a useful warning!

Coming to is also really bad. There's no sense of passage of time until I'm sort of gradually aware of auditory sensations, I'm actually blind at that point. If there's people around it's like echoey, background babble, like the sound of being in a huge old train station full of people talking, or a big building lobby. Takes a few seconds before I can start to see. Sometimes I've pissed myself. Rarely but probably 10% of the time. Embarrassing as hell. Sometimes as I come back I'm telling people I'm OK, or that I'm coming back. I'm nauseous and basically can't get up for several minutes, sometimes I need to kind of lie around or sit up for 20+ minutes, and I'm guaranteed to feel like absolute poo poo for hours.

Apparently I sometimes have a seizure while out, if I'm not with my wife there's usually someone scared or trying to call an ambulance or one time my boss at my old job was punching me in the chest ineffectively, lol, I'd slammed my arm at the "funny bone" spot into a sharp steel corner and was bleeding everywhere and he thought I was having a heart attack. Good thing I wasn't because he sure as hell wasn't doing anything resembling CPR.

It's probably not exactly the same as having your heart stop, but I have this strong sense that this is what it will feel like the day I die, whenever that is, hopefully in my very old age. I can't recommend it. I honestly hope Damar doesn't remember anything after the tackle, until fully coming to in the hospital.

e. I realize this is something of a derail, but we're also not going to get any news at 10pm pacific on thursday night so I doubt I'm like, pre-empting anything important. Still, if TFF mods want me to shut up about passing-out chat, that's cool.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Getting choked out is the only way I've been put to sleep, well other than booze and thats a strange feeling. You go from "I can survive this keep working" to seeing like three people looking down at you rubbing gently on your chest and you go "what happened" as if it shouldn't be obvious.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Leperflesh posted:

I had to get a combo-wombo of a colonscopy and EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, say that three times fast!) and you get sedated for that. The last thing I remember as they counted me down was the doc jamming something in my rear end, me saying "wait wait wait", and the doc saying "too late!" An instant later I woke up going "wait wait wait", in the recovery room, haha.

I also went under for an emergency appendectomy but I didn't do anything hilarious that time.

I've lost consciousness a bunch of times because I have a condition, vasovagal syncope, which causes me to pass out if several triggers stack up. For me the biggest ones are dehydration, lack of sleep, stress, and significant pain such as serious gastro distress. So that happens like once every couple of years or so. Because the loss of consciousness is due to a sudden drop of blood pressure, I'm given to understand that the experience is more or less identical to the feeling of dying from sudden blood loss.

It sucks. It's happened 20+ times in my life and it sucks every time. When I'm in deep and I know I'm definitely going out, I'm convinced that's what dying feels like, a crushing inevitability as all kinds of sensory input disappears. People say it's like the world closing in but that's inadequate. It's more like first I can't pay attention to vision any more, then there's no such thing as balance, then sharp smell is gone, and then I'm out, and that sequence takes like 3 to 5 seconds once it starts. I've got enough experience with it now that I can feel really early onset warning signs like a deep sense of unease... I can warn people, try and get to the floor so I don't fall, it's never happened while driving but if it did I'd have time to at least pull over and kill the ignition. But I'm doing that while fighting a certain kind of panic because I know what the next step is like and it's bad.

I remember when I was really young I didn't know what was happening and it wasn't as frightening, somehow, but I've hurt myself a couple times - one time when I was in high school I hit my head on a lab bench on the way down and they called an ambulance, I was concussed, that wasn't fun. At least now I can kind of tell myself not to panic, follow a clear process, and usually warn anyone around me "I'm about to pass out" which is sometimes a useful warning!

Coming to is also really bad. There's no sense of passage of time until I'm sort of gradually aware of auditory sensations, I'm actually blind at that point. If there's people around it's like echoey, background babble, like the sound of being in a huge old train station full of people talking, or a big building lobby. Takes a few seconds before I can start to see. Sometimes I've pissed myself. Rarely but probably 10% of the time. Embarrassing as hell. Sometimes as I come back I'm telling people I'm OK, or that I'm coming back. I'm nauseous and basically can't get up for several minutes, sometimes I need to kind of lie around or sit up for 20+ minutes, and I'm guaranteed to feel like absolute poo poo for hours.

Apparently I sometimes have a seizure while out, if I'm not with my wife there's usually someone scared or trying to call an ambulance or one time my boss at my old job was punching me in the chest ineffectively, lol, I'd slammed my arm at the "funny bone" spot into a sharp steel corner and was bleeding everywhere and he thought I was having a heart attack. Good thing I wasn't because he sure as hell wasn't doing anything resembling CPR.

It's probably not exactly the same as having your heart stop, but I have this strong sense that this is what it will feel like the day I die, whenever that is, hopefully in my very old age. I can't recommend it. I honestly hope Damar doesn't remember anything after the tackle, until fully coming to in the hospital.

e. I realize this is something of a derail, but we're also not going to get any news at 10pm pacific on thursday night so I doubt I'm like, pre-empting anything important. Still, if TFF mods want me to shut up about passing-out chat, that's cool.

I got sedated once...

...reading this post!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I got cracked open for some open heart a couple years ago and woke up in the ICU sedated with a tube. I had the foresight to install a simple txt to speech app on my phone which I gave to my mom. I alternated spammed "OW" and "GET THIS THING OUT OF ME" (in the most annoying kewpie-doll voice the app had. One nurse commented "oh, that's gonna get old quick"). I was told that as soon as I could prove to them I could breathe on my own it would get removed. Given that I was sedated, I can't really tell how long after I came to the tube was left in but it seemed like a relatively short time. The stabs of acute pain I'd get from having been cracked open like a lobster was far more annoying to be honest.

And regarding time travel, it is freaky. I went out joking with the anesthesiologist and woke up almost 8 hours later. Blink and I'm in the future.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A week after heart surgery I dropped into A-fib again but didn't know it - they gave me an ablation during the valve surgery and, assuming that would fix me, subsequently stopped all my meds, which turned out to be a Really Bad Idea as ablation does not usually remedy A-fib on the first pass.

So although I'm feeling kinda crappy, I'm getting ready to drive (!) for the first time post-op & I'm facing the toilet after using it & next thing I know, My head is against the wall & I'm punching the wall above the toilet while my brain says, "WTF am I doing? Why am I beating feebly on this wall?" I didn't fall because I have a very small bathroom & I just wound up propped on buckled knees between the toilet & the tub.

So I just come out of it, walk out of the bathroom, & announce to my wife that something weird had just happened & I sat on the edge of the bed to tell her.

Next thing I know, I have head-butted my dresser and was on my knees with the sound of my wife screaming my name slowly rising like someone's turning up the volume. I am in a state of euphoria, convinced that this is the coolest thing that has ever happened to me, which is not helping my wife any as I learn I just passed out.

Bathroom mystery solved.

We argue about calling an ambulance because I am a cheap bastard & insist she drive me to the ER, like she did when I was dying of heart failure. She reluctantly agrees, if I would lean on her in case I drop again.
She is 5'3" and maybe 150-lbs.
I am 6'2" and 310.

We start out of the bedroom, through the short hall off my office & turn towards the dining room.

I am now on all fours in the dining room, cackling like a lunatic. My wife is screaming at me again, from her new location in my office, where I tossed her (about eight feet) as I went down.

Ambulance came & it got sorted at the hospital.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sash! posted:

That is a loving excellent and believable sedation story.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

"Is Butterbean OK?"

gently caress lmao

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

drat, goons really go through some poo poo.

All I've got is when I was studying up in Vancouver for college. There was a bird flu outbreak at the time and the entire school was cautioned about sharing things like drinks, food, etc etc. Of course, no one listened. loving beer pong got me.

I'm in front of the bathroom mirror in my dorm, suddenly feel lightheaded, and fall on the floor. I vaguely remember dialing 9-1-1. Cut to medics in full loving hazmat suits dragging me out of the room. Apparently I was deliriously yelling "no ambulance! no ambulance! Can't afford" over and over again.

The EMTs in the back of the ambulance start cracking up and CACKLING with laughter. "Oh, poo poo. Yep, he's an american"

I was in and out of consciousness this whole time but I remember one dude leaning down and saying "its okay, you're in Canada".

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

When I had my jaw broken they told me they wouldn’t need to wire it shut and they would just install a plate during the surgery. As I was laying there counting down waiting for the anesthesia to kick in I remember feeling a searing pain in my nose for some reason and then I went out. Then I had the most horrific nightmares under sedation that stayed with me even as I was coming to. When I was finally mostly conscious I looked around and couldn’t really tell where it was because my eyes were unfocused and partially swollen shut. I couldn’t open my mouth and could barely move my tongue because the doctor had decided that he needed to suture my jaw after all so my teeth were wired together. But I didn’t know that, I just knew that my mouth didn’t work and felt like it had a sock crammed in it and my pulse was through the roof and I’d just had visions of, like, demons.

So I was having a mild anxiety attack and I gestured to the nurse and she came over and I mumbled through clenched teeth, absolutely seriously “Where am I? Am I in hell?”

She looked at me with infinite kindness and said “no sugar, you’re in Louisiana, but it’s an easy mistake to make.”

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

She reluctantly agrees, if I would lean on her in case I drop again.
She is 5'3" and maybe 150-lbs.
I am 6'2" and 310.

I full-on passed out on my wife at 3am post-vasectomy. Tremendous pain, couldn’t sleep, got up to get some water and she followed me out because she had to use the bathroom. The second I got to the bedroom doorway my entire field of vision compressed to a pinpoint and that was all she wrote.

I heard her yell “Get up!” and I kept answering with “Damnit, I AM awake!”

I passed out due to blood loss from a large hematoma resulting from said vasectomy. It was a journey and a half.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The reaper that will eventually take us all overstepped his bounds last week. When it tried to take a young and fit person before millions of us, we reacted against that, strongly. We are rightfully celebrating the reaper's failure to take Damar at this time. Dr. Hawkeye Pierce sounds like a good authority to listen to right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

I've lost consciousness a bunch of times

Since we're doing story time I think the only time I've truly lost consciousness from trauma (other than wisdom teeth) was when I was sleeping in the back end of my friend's SUV with a bunch of other people and he decided to go offroading, which is a perfectly acceptable very dumb teenage thing to do. He went over a huge hill to jump it at like 60 mph, I flew up and hit the roof and then slammed down once again on my head on the floor. I was out, no one knew what was up until we got back to his place.

When we got back and I kinda came to and they opened up the back to check on me I was like, please just stop the car and I'll be ok. My other buddy who is the true hero of the story did the Naked Gun joke of telling me I was going to be just fine before pulling the blanket I was tangled up in over my face.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I have a good anesthesiologist story.

I was referred for spinal injections. Two nerve blocks to shut down chronic pain and a cortisone shot in a major muscle group so my shoulder can be put back in place. I go in, get changed into a surgical gown, and they set me up on a table with a stent in one hand. The doctor doing the injections comes by, gives me the spiel, and goes away. I remember lying there for a bit, then a nurse gets me up and takes me back to the recovery area. I remember thinking "if they aren't going to do the procedure, shouldn't someone say something?" I lie there for about ten minutes, watching the interplay of light and shadow and people walking by. Then I think, "if someone isn't going to do the procedure, shouldn't OOOOHHHH".

The anesthesiologist put me down and brought me back up so cleanly I didn't notice the interruption in consciousness. Mad respect for whoever was attending on my case, that was slick as whale snot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

I got sedated once...

...reading this post!

it's a talent of mine

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I've been KO'd by trauma once as a child and it's interesting reading everyone else's stories because it's pretty much well the same deal. Running to class because the bell rang, and next thing I know all these kids are staring down at me. Got a concussion, scared the hell out of my mom, but other than that it was fine. To this day I have no idea how I went from running to class to flat on my rear end.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The "YouTube skip" for being knocked out is spot on. I've been knocked out riding my bike when I got doored, I woke up on the floor after having been cycling and had to piece everything together - why am I on the floor, why do I hurt, why is this woman trying to talk to me?

What's particularly weird is that usually your mind sort of fills in the blanks for a lot of events, so if you can't quite remember something it'll just sort of fudge things in a "eh, that'll do way". But when this happened there was absolutely nothing, just no gap in between cycling one moment and being on the floor the next no matter now many times you try and remember the moment of getting hit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That's interesting, I've never experienced that "skip", not when I had a major concussion or when I went into cardiac arrest. With the concussion I remember everything before and after clearly, and when I went into cardiac arrest I had moments of awareness as I was drifting in and out of consciousness. I woke up during surgery once and they put me back under; then I came to in the recovery room sooner than expected so I got up to grab some reading material because no one was there to tell me how long I'd have to wait.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hope they fire whatever dipshit doctor came up with that you won the game of life line. Terrible, you only get so many chances to hit that line and you waste it on that trash. Be better.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

My surgical rotation was right after elective procedures reopened from covid and half of it was assisting, then doing, this exact double procedure. Like colonoscopies hadn’t been allowed for months so there was a huge backlog, and in rural tennessee everyone has an ulcer.

My favorite joke to ask in preop was “alright we’re running low on supplies because of covid so we only have one scope. You want top down first, right?”

90% of people laughed, 9% of people said “top down, if you can,” and one guy just sorta shrugged and said “oh yeah, that’s fine, whatever.”

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 6, 2023

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Hope they fire whatever dipshit doctor came up with that you won the game of life line. Terrible, you only get so many chances to hit that line and you waste it on that trash. Be better.

I hope someone gives you a huge hug and boops your nose.

Edit : *boop*

WalletBeef fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 6, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I think it’s kinda endearing.

In a cynical age like this it’s refreshing to read something that absolutely was not farmed out to a consulting firm or ad agency and analyzed by focus groups.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If the NFL script writers don’t let the Bills win the Super Bowl this year, they’re soulless.

But really, brightened my whole day. What a recovery.

It's gotta be Bills-Vikings. It's just GOTTA. I don't care how suspect the Vikings may look, we have to see two franchises laboring under legendary curses and having insane seesaw seasons meet in the Super Bowl and slam their curses into each other to see which one breaks first.

God, this news is so good. It's been such a grim week of waiting and now it's all turned around and I'm excited again!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I had major facial reconstruction surgery once (they had to extract two ribs and a wedge of hip bone to rebuild my upper and lower jaw). Nothing funny happened, but I did wake up briefly while intubated and boy howdy that was terrifying. I was tied to the bed though so I didn't yank it out. I did have vomit on me when I finally woke up from that surgery. Not sure when that came into play.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Redeye Flight posted:

It's gotta be Bills-Vikings. It's just GOTTA. I don't care how suspect the Vikings may look, we have to see two franchises laboring under legendary curses and having insane seesaw seasons meet in the Super Bowl and slam their curses into each other to see which one breaks first.

God, this news is so good. It's been such a grim week of waiting and now it's all turned around and I'm excited again!

gently caress the Vikings sideways.

But I'll be rooting for the Bills in every circumstance unless by some miracle they play the Packers in the Super Bowl.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sash! posted:

Two of the three times I've been put fully under for surgery or something, the first thing I said was a number. Apparently I was still counting down.

It's amusing to ask them to count down from 100 and they get all the way to the middle of the word "ninety-niiiiii....."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

It does appear to be hella cringe

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tell that nurse that the line needs workshopping & the writers room needs to retool the dialogue.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Absolutely.

Literally the next thing out of any competitor/athlete,who has likely already pieced together that they're alive, will be "ok. but who won."

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If I almost (and briefly did) die on a field and woke up from sedation and some rear end in a top hat said that to me after I spent an agonizing eternity writing that question while being unable to speak, I'd be making the deadliest hector salamanca angry faces you could ever imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The only interesting sedation story I have (only been sedated twice and the first was for my wisdom teeth taken out) was from last March when I dislocated my shoulder. In the UVA ER, they gave me ketamine in order to pop my shoulder back in, and the experience was much like the game Portal where you should one portal at the floor and one at the ceiling directly above it and you fall infinitely through space at high speed. And all the beeps and boops from the machines you're hooked up to are oppressively loud. When I started to come to, my wife entered the room and the other thing I could get out of my mouth was "portal" but I had no capacity to string a cohesive explanation together. I can see why people do ketamine recreationally. I think about my experience still sometimes, but it scares me too much to ever take ketamine again.

Komet fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 6, 2023