Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guillermus posted:

Watch out or you'll end converted

Over all the years of seeing this meme, I still don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Over all the years of seeing this meme, I still don't get it.

https://amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/wololo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The combat in Yakuza has always only been serviceable at best and it lives or dies by everything surrounding it but they had the good sense to make it flashy which makes it a lot more fun than it would be otherwise.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yakuza combat isn't brilliant or anything but the heat actions are actually hilarious - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slIk7Wd246c

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I (sadly?) missed out on finding that chest so I never experienced that, so my first time seeing Caelid was in the actual entrance, after you fight the person at the church.

I did find the chest that teleports you to the middle of the Capital though, and man is that a wild thing to experience that early in the game. It opens up a part of the map that's REALLY far north, and it's like holy poo poo this map is actually so huge (and of course that's not even the most north it goes), and you can't go anywhere besides this area with a giant that's way higher level than you, since the elevator is down at the bottom. So you can look around and see like, the tree you've seen in the distance reasonably close, with some kind of giant door on it?? And there's what looks to be some kind of stone dragon?? Where is this place?!

I feel like I hit every moment they planned on my first playthrough and by god I was gobsmacked every time.

The only moment that beats all those Elden Ring moments is the dive bomber in Sekiro

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Best gaming moment of last year for me was the bit in Elden Ring where I stumbled upon an elevator that takes you down, down, down and witnessed… THAT place underground. Just magical, wish I could experience it again for the first time!

The aforementioned vista moments were also all amazing. Getting me nostalgic for Elden Ring…

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Boy of Joy posted:

Best gaming moment of last year for me was the bit in Elden Ring where I stumbled upon an elevator that takes you down, down, down and witnessed… THAT place underground. Just magical, wish I could experience it again for the first time!

The aforementioned vista moments were also all amazing. Getting me nostalgic for Elden Ring…

Going through the entire Underworld and arriving at mogh's palace sixty hours later. What a payoff as well.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Boy of Joy posted:

I shamefully spoiled that moment for myself by reading previews. Death bed regret

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Neon White seems to have lost all my progress. No continue, just new game. I'm not sure if I accidentally started a new game or hit some kind of bug, but RIP. Really enjoying it, too :/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:love: A quick audit of the local indie game stores :love:

2020 seemed like the death spiral for physical games/media at the time, and the retailers who carried them, but weirdly enough all the places that had been part of the previous couple decades of B+M compact disc retail were somehow replaced with newer, cooler, better enthusiast shops in my area, and I feel lucky to live where I do. It's crazy to walk into a place and see games that I couldn't unload for 5 bux when I worked at a game shop in the 00's can now be worth insane amounts.

____

The new high end gaming collector shop that opened up a year ago has an absolutely pristine collection of things I used to own 20-25 years ago, though many items are at high speculator/collector prices but whatever works for them I guess. Also, this place doubles as an event space for tabletop enthusiasts in order to make ends meet, which is cool. Nice to see that they went with the idea that Gamestop passed on like the idiots they are. But additionally, I talked to the owner who seemed like a young millennial or maybe zoomer and they were like "actually, I hired a bunch of GS employees because I know they've been through the poo poo and are absolute pros. I just pay them more to do the same thing they used to without being treated like garbage."

Here are a few things that caught my eye -

- Rule of Rose (PS2) was the most expensive game I saw, priced at $869 (lol I couldn't sell that game for 5 bux in 2007)
- Armored Core 2 AA (PS2) was $86, too much! I did ask if they had other AC titles and they said half a dozen AC games flew off the shelf the moment FROM's recent trailer dropped
- 2 copies of Elemental Gearbolt (PSX) at $269, haven't seen that in a while
- Drakengard 3 special edition (PS3) sealed, whoa
- Devil Summoner (PS2) special edition sealed, cant remember how much, $350??
- 2 copies of MGS HD collection (PS3) 35 bux, not bad
- 2 copies of 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) $69, nice
- all of the PSX Square games, most between 35-85 bux, though Xenogears was more, and Tales of Destiny was also a lot
- No Ico/SOTC collection on PS3, booo
- strategy guide section, FF7R ultimania hardcover, 30 bux, maybe I should've bought it :doh:
- Guardian Heroes for Saturn, but no Panzer Dragoon Saga
- No copies of Valkyrie Profile (PSX), pwned
- Klonoa 2 (PS2) @ $99, that seems about right
- sealed copy of Celeste (PS4) hmmm, I think that's a Limited Run release

Anyways, I can't say I'd being buying a ton of stuff from them but it seemed like an awesome spot to browse occasionally, ooh and ahh about the rare items, and maybe pre-order a new title or two. They had soooo much inventory in perfect condition and it was a cool vibe run by queer folk who really knew their poo poo. You can tell whoever started the biz had a massive collection beforehand that they just put into stock.
____

Out near SE 39th is the old hole in the wall that used to be a CDGX (a buy/sell chain that went under shortly before 2020 and left a huge hole in the local market for media, I actually used to work for one of these when I was younger). New shop is super cute, queer spot, great prices, offers fair trade-in value for stuff (I unloaded Plague Tale Requiem), nice collection at decent prices and I got Ghostwire sealed for $30, my friend picked up DeS 2020 and SMT3 remake for $60 total, the stock feels priced to move and I bet it does. They have some blu rays at the back but it's pretty well curated, I see anime! There's always a dude by the front door fixing controllers when I come in. They have a poster section and an extremely impressive gaming vinyl section, they have gaming vinyl 45s ffs. And a Super Famicom section! They have old issues of Nintendo Power on display, for sale? Their peripheral wall is really organized. They have a case with some rarities, but most things are very reasonable. Oh gently caress, they have Cuphead brand candy!

I can't help but notice all of the consoles that were in the case in november are gone now. All the used PS4's are still selling like hotcakes at $250 bux, but even the Xbone X's are holding a steady price in that range. Truly strange times.

I love this place, it's on my regular rotation. I come here any chance I get because it feels like the stock changes very quickly. These are my people.
____

The record store not too far from there has an incredible blu ray collection. It used to just be normal blus, music blus, and a small criterion section. Then in 2022 someone who works there must've gotten wind that the CDGX's had all closed, and Music Millennium pulled out of the east side. Whoever that was has absolutely cornered the market on specialty film blus now, they did a lot of investing and should get a raise: Severin, Criterion, Raro, Vinegar Syndrome, Indicator, Shout Factory, oh my god the list goes on and on. It's dangerous for me to come in here.

____

I haven't had a chance to get down to VG Wizards in SE, it's a little out of my way. One of these days, but god their selection looks massive. I still buy a lot of new poo poo from Best Buy in NE, their game selection is great and they have all sorts of things you wouldn't expect. I used to love browsing their blu ray section, too, but they just got done remodeling and the blu rays were replaced by e-bikes. Sign of the times.

Anyways

PHYSICAL FOREVER. DEATH TO GAMESTOP.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 6, 2023

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m loving my second playthrough of Elden ring. it’s definitely way too easy starting NG+ and I steamroll everything and anything in the first 1/3 of the game, but past Reya Lucaria shot really starts to kick your rear end. Yeah, I can melt something down with my max upgrade occult Uchigatana and my arcane +50 build but it only takes one or two mistakes to die to what I’m fighting. I am just so in love with this world. I feel like I went back to the lion witch and wardrobe works for another visit. It singularly exists and is immemorial.

I also loaded up Bloodborne because YouTube kept suggesting lore videos about it. Lol god drat I cleared the first entire area without dying once. I didn’t get the doll up and running for a long time and was banging around with 6k something souls lol. That game is hilariously easy after all this souls gaming. The handgun parry windows are so loving huge feeling to my brain now.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yakuza combat isn't brilliant or anything but the heat actions are actually hilarious - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slIk7Wd246c

Well, this is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

average-sized irishman uses gaelic ancestral power to summon potatoes

Lo! Ye shall look upon the calamities of heresy with tatered eyes! Potato Disruption!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/kristoferngully/status/1609953341089677316?s=46&t=XFoVrwewVkdTP58t_ggrmQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've seen that blurb before and it has always owned.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't remember where it was from anymore, but my favorite Miyazaki quote was in regards to their PSVR game Deracine when he asked what the biggest challenge was. He said something like "we had to learn how to make good looking faces, which was something we previously never worried about since we knew people would just put helmets over them"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I don't remember where it was from anymore, but my favorite Miyazaki quote was in regards to their PSVR game Deracine when he asked what the biggest challenge was. He said something like "we had to learn how to make good looking faces, which was something we previously never worried about since we knew people would just put helmets over them"

Yeah I remember that, it was either Deracine or Sekiro, some interview around the same time as both games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
port deracine to quest or pc so more people can play it, game rules

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do a non-VR version so I can play it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked it but it didn't really stand out as a must play to me. The story has some dark turns I wasn't expecting and that was cool, but for the most part it was just a slow paced, super lite old timey adventure game. The coolest part was seeing From doing a game that sort of felt like Dark Souls vibes without the world being ruined and the maiden VA they always use being all over the place. It's very VR centric so they'd probably have to go back and redo a lot of stuff to make it a normal gakes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

king

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:love: A quick audit of the local indie game stores :love:

2020 seemed like the death spiral for physical games/media at the time, and the retailers who carried them, but weirdly enough all the places that had been part of the previous couple decades of B+M compact disc retail were somehow replaced with newer, cooler, better enthusiast shops in my area, and I feel lucky to live where I do. It's crazy to walk into a place and see games that I couldn't unload for 5 bux when I worked at a game shop in the 00's can now be worth insane amounts.

____

The new high end gaming collector shop that opened up a year ago has an absolutely pristine collection of things I used to own 20-25 years ago, though many items are at high speculator/collector prices but whatever works for them I guess. Also, this place doubles as an event space for tabletop enthusiasts in order to make ends meet, which is cool. Nice to see that they went with the idea that Gamestop passed on like the idiots they are. But additionally, I talked to the owner who seemed like a young millennial or maybe zoomer and they were like "actually, I hired a bunch of GS employees because I know they've been through the poo poo and are absolute pros. I just pay them more to do the same thing they used to without being treated like garbage."

Here are a few things that caught my eye -

- Rule of Rose (PS2) was the most expensive game I saw, priced at $869 (lol I couldn't sell that game for 5 bux in 2007)
- Armored Core 2 AA (PS2) was $86, too much! I did ask if they had other AC titles and they said half a dozen AC games flew off the shelf the moment FROM's recent trailer dropped
- 2 copies of Elemental Gearbolt (PSX) at $269, haven't seen that in a while
- Drakengard 3 special edition (PS3) sealed, whoa
- Devil Summoner (PS2) special edition sealed, cant remember how much, $350??
- 2 copies of MGS HD collection (PS3) 35 bux, not bad
- 2 copies of 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) $69, nice
- all of the PSX Square games, most between 35-85 bux, though Xenogears was more, and Tales of Destiny was also a lot
- No Ico/SOTC collection on PS3, booo
- strategy guide section, FF7R ultimania hardcover, 30 bux, maybe I should've bought it :doh:
- Guardian Heroes for Saturn, but no Panzer Dragoon Saga
- No copies of Valkyrie Profile (PSX), pwned
- Klonoa 2 (PS2) @ $99, that seems about right
- sealed copy of Celeste (PS4) hmmm, I think that's a Limited Run release

Anyways, I can't say I'd being buying a ton of stuff from them but it seemed like an awesome spot to browse occasionally, ooh and ahh about the rare items, and maybe pre-order a new title or two. They had soooo much inventory in perfect condition and it was a cool vibe run by queer folk who really knew their poo poo. You can tell whoever started the biz had a massive collection beforehand that they just put into stock.
____

Out near SE 39th is the old hole in the wall that used to be a CDGX (a buy/sell chain that went under shortly before 2020 and left a huge hole in the local market for media, I actually used to work for one of these when I was younger). New shop is super cute, queer spot, great prices, offers fair trade-in value for stuff (I unloaded Plague Tale Requiem), nice collection at decent prices and I got Ghostwire sealed for $30, my friend picked up DeS 2020 and SMT3 remake for $60 total, the stock feels priced to move and I bet it does. They have some blu rays at the back but it's pretty well curated, I see anime! There's always a dude by the front door fixing controllers when I come in. They have a poster section and an extremely impressive gaming vinyl section, they have gaming vinyl 45s ffs. And a Super Famicom section! They have old issues of Nintendo Power on display, for sale? Their peripheral wall is really organized. They have a case with some rarities, but most things are very reasonable. Oh gently caress, they have Cuphead brand candy!

I can't help but notice all of the consoles that were in the case in november are gone now. All the used PS4's are still selling like hotcakes at $250 bux, but even the Xbone X's are holding a steady price in that range. Truly strange times.

I love this place, it's on my regular rotation. I come here any chance I get because it feels like the stock changes very quickly. These are my people.
____

The record store not too far from there has an incredible blu ray collection. It used to just be normal blus, music blus, and a small criterion section. Then in 2022 someone who works there must've gotten wind that the CDGX's had all closed, and Music Millennium pulled out of the east side. Whoever that was has absolutely cornered the market on specialty film blus now, they did a lot of investing and should get a raise: Severin, Criterion, Raro, Vinegar Syndrome, Indicator, Shout Factory, oh my god the list goes on and on. It's dangerous for me to come in here.

____

I haven't had a chance to get down to VG Wizards in SE, it's a little out of my way. One of these days, but god their selection looks massive. I still buy a lot of new poo poo from Best Buy in NE, their game selection is great and they have all sorts of things you wouldn't expect. I used to love browsing their blu ray section, too, but they just got done remodeling and the blu rays were replaced by e-bikes. Sign of the times.

Anyways

Arh much for rule of rose :eyepop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

For a second there I had rule of rose and rumble roses crossed over in my head and wondered why the gently caress some bad titty wrestling game was worth so much

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

haveblue posted:

Neon White seems to have lost all my progress. No continue, just new game. I'm not sure if I accidentally started a new game or hit some kind of bug, but RIP. Really enjoying it, too :/

I’ve seen a lot of posts about this (on Reddit) :(

What was the last thing you did? From what I’ve seen it has something to do with the last coin for green and/or rest mode. I don’t know if anything can be done right now.

Gonna usb back up my save everytime I play now :ohdear:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

For a second there I had rule of rose and rumble roses crossed over in my head and wondered why the gently caress some bad titty wrestling game was worth so much

Oddly enough Rumble Roses is the only wrestling game I could ever figure out the loving controls for other than Smackdown 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that WCW/NWO World Tour game for N64 was pretty fun in the day, but I guess at the age of 15 we were down for anything that was 4-players

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Arh much for rule of rose :eyepop:

Sold my copy for £100 a few years ago should have held on to it.

The EU version is way rarer than US though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There are only 2 games I ever sold and didn't end up buying back years later - Dead or Alive: beach volleyball and Brute Force

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i sold MGS4 and bought it back for more money later. i had about 10 mins left lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There are only 2 games I ever sold and didn't end up buying back years later - Dead or Alive: beach volleyball and Brute Force

ah brute force and it's gpu box art loving cover

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i sold MGS4 and bought it back for more money later. i had about 10 mins left lol

i had the limited edition version with the cardboard box and shinkawa art or whatever but i don't regret selling it. game really disappointed me and i almost swore off hideo, and then mgsv looked amazing and i was hype, then played it and was disappointed and for real swore off hideo, and then death stranding came out and looked like a bag of hot air, i played it for some reason and it was great and now i don't know what to think

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:siren:

YEAR OF THE JRPG UPDATE

rumors circulating about march 9th released date for Suikoden I & II remaster

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Dont think I've ever sold a game but I have given a bunch away to mates or whatever

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

:siren:

YEAR OF THE JRPG UPDATE

rumors circulating about march 9th released date for Suikoden I & II remaster

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridgelina gonna be eating lots of top ramen this year

Quantum of Phallus