Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Syenite posted:

Gonna be honest, I'd much rather see doodles than generic AI images. They always seem like such bland, photographic "good art" poo poo.

ChatGPT gets you some funny effects sometimes, but mostly it's just nonsense. Story prompts it does better on.
This reads like a complaint WOTC's art direction made heaps of magic cards with boring generic fantasy art for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're like a week late to the generated art discussion and a mod already said to stop

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So some ONE cards got leaked

https://imgur.com/a/Cqcm1dq#eYhkVEw
https://imgur.com/a/12Wpfij#rZNFf7Y

Fast Lands, Phyrexian Arena reprint. Bunch of cards that look pretty strong..

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Getting a new ___ sun cycle is cool.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well that's confirmation that The Jace/Vraska/Nissa compleated leak sic orrect

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm glad rares don't get too expensive these days because I really need a copy of Black Sun's Twilight

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
venerated rotpriest seems like it could get out of hand

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

Some bangers in here for sure

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got a wild rear end idea to try an art project and after realizing stained glass would be hard and expensive I figured I'd try a similar mosaic-ish thing but just using cut wood. Figured I'd start with a classic that lends itself to this approach.

First was cutting all the petals and such with a jig saw:

Then I did the first round of staining tonight. Color match isn't perfect but I am trying to keep a woody sort of characteristic, hence stains instead of paint.

Gonna see how it looks after it dries then do some touch ups and stain the sides. Then its just gluing the pieces in place and maybe setting up a frame or something.

that's rad!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got a wild rear end idea to try an art project and after realizing stained glass would be hard and expensive I figured I'd try a similar mosaic-ish thing but just using cut wood. Figured I'd start with a classic that lends itself to this approach.

First was cutting all the petals and such with a jig saw:

Then I did the first round of staining tonight. Color match isn't perfect but I am trying to keep a woody sort of characteristic, hence stains instead of paint.

Gonna see how it looks after it dries then do some touch ups and stain the sides. Then its just gluing the pieces in place and maybe setting up a frame or something.

This is pretty cool!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Would they really have a keyword like "For Mirrodin!"

It's not in italics so it's not an ability word

Edit: I get that it's a mirror of living weapon it just seems like a dumb name lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 6, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a bit silly but i like it flavorwise and it's about as reusable as the keyword it's mirroring

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Welcome back, Thrun

I'm gonna be casting you a lot

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

flatluigi posted:

it's a bit silly but i like it flavorwise and it's about as reusable as the keyword it's mirroring

also pretty clever that one of the weapons lets you mirror a creature

now we need Urza's Hater Blockers

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Actual support for infect is good. That land is going in the deck in some amount, not sure how many. Getting rewarded for giving your opponent some poison is nice to give the deck more longer gene and reward you even when you don't go all in on the kill

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thrun!!! I missed you unlike Wrath of God, which always hits you.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Strong Sauce posted:

LEGENDARY JUGGERNAUT!? That's honestly pretty surprising, and also really cool. Gonna have to look into some mono-brown staples for edh now...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Thrun, takes you back. Wild that it doesn’t even seem like a playable magic card anymore.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Sounds like it will be awful to play against in draft though

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

elbkaida posted:

Sounds like it will be awful to play against in draft though

That was my first impression, too. “I dunno if this is playable in standard constructed but god drat if that isn’t a bomb in limited.”

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Aniodia posted:

Gonna have to look into some mono-brown staples for edh now...

I just made an order for a Liberator deck... looks like it'll be getting some upgrades right away when ONE comes out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

That was my first impression, too. “I dunno if this is playable in standard constructed but god drat if that isn’t a bomb in limited.”
It's very good but the one that really stands out to me in these leaks is the new Wanderer. What a ludicrous bomb to put at rare.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's something bugging me about the art for Phyrexian Arena. Like the artist didn't do enough to hide the photo reference they were tracing over or something.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's very good but the one that really stands out to me in these leaks is the new Wanderer. What a ludicrous bomb to put at rare.

lol good lord, that looks miserable to play against.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ONE plot spoilers (not my work):

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Those cards look dope. I'm excited for ONE.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I like how folks can theorycraft and deckbrew spoilered cards in 2-3 posts whereas the chucklenuts down at the LGS will spend the next 2-3 months coming to the same conclusions. I appreciate the speed.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

For my fellow CEDH heads out there: thoughts on this? It's kind of like a sol land, and at least it painlessly taps for mana (and technically washes) when you can't copy something. Might be too cute, but I think it's cool, and being able to give your pod/sieve/whatever pesudo-indestructibility by copying it is interesting.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Sphere as a new land type. I wonder how that will be relevant to gameplay.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fadam posted:

For my fellow CEDH heads out there: thoughts on this? It's kind of like a sol land, and at least it painlessly taps for mana (and technically washes) when you can't copy something. Might be too cute, but I think it's cool, and being able to give your pod/sieve/whatever pesudo-indestructibility by copying it is interesting.

I’m not a cEDH player, so my general question is: how valuable is this as effectively being a tapped 0-mana rock?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TotalHell posted:

I’m not a cEDH player, so my general question is: how valuable is this as effectively being a tapped 0-mana rock?

In a fast deck, awful. In a slow deck that would run another Ancient Tomb if they could, potentially not bad.

If this didn’t have the fail case of being a colourless producer/mana washer I don’t think it’d be worth considering.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

AngryBooch posted:

Sphere as a new land type. I wonder how that will be relevant to gameplay.

That's what stood out to me, wonder where they're going with that

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm assuming there'll be some ways to move Oil counters around? Interesting how that'll work out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm assuming there'll be some ways to move Oil counters around? Interesting how that'll work out.

The Venser in the set references Proliferate so I think that will be a Blue-Black theme?

Lots of counters: Oil, Poison/Toxic, Proliferate. Could be a fun limited format.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Confirmed this set is supported by Big Oil. :v:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Lmao I just looked at this card again, I hadn't noticed you can just use the last ability as soon as she comes down. Jesus Christ!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It really feels like the idea of moving cards from rare to mythic to benefit limited formats is dead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what was the last very playable six mana planeswalker

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Chandra, Awakened Inferno is playable in some decks as a one of sideboard card or something... but it's definitely very metagame dependent I'd say

Edit: oh that probably doesn't fullfil the whole "very playable" part though, I'm not sure there has been one that's very playable unless you count Big Karn, but that's only because the decks that want it are obviously cheating on the mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Elspeth and Chandra were both very good.