Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kid Fenris posted:

That room's giving off some real Leiji Matsumoto atmosphere. Did he just get on the Galaxy Express 999?

:lol: you were dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1 featuring the return of what I call the “Multi-Grote”

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

The owners of Bean There are a mysterious pair, and I’m not sure that we’ll discover their inner lives any time soon.

Also: who is that handy man?

Zabaglione
Long Black

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: War-Lords of Phoenix

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 1/5/03

This is my favorite Get Fuzzy of all time, and something I still occasionally quote. Up there with reminding people that I don't blab no drab gab.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curt-hahahahaha what the gently caress

"Prejudice would go away if we all looked the same. But we don't all look the same and that's awesome. So I guess don't have prejudice"

Okay, so like... prejudice isn't just about outward appearance though. There's still sexual/gender prejudices, religious prejudices, territorial ones, etc...

But even if it was, this doesn't do anything because NOT EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME NOW. People all still have differences, they just now have bigger teeth and ears! There are three different skin tones right in the second panel!!!

I guess it means "since everyone looks the same (as Joe) prejudice and ridicule were ended (for Joe)" but that's not how it works or how it reads!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
man no wonder Kwanzaa never caught on, that story sucks

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Peter O'Donnell has clearly never been to Arizona.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Ha ha, get stuffed, prick

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Perhaps the most beloved annual tradition of Curtis: The Kwanzaa story kind of petering out to a "Wha...huh?" moral that doesn't line up with anything we just read over the last two weeks.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Vargo posted:

A variation on this year's theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8SY2Bph9zA

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 25, 1935)

Peanuts (January 9, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 23, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 8, 1939)

Olive & Popeye didn't post yesterday. If it pops up today, I'll let you know.

Out Our Way (October 3-5, 1940)

The Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 was instituted on September 16th. It was the first peacetime draft in American history, because the government was coming to terms with the growing concern that it probably wouldn't be peacetime for much longer.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

TegneHanne

This is what I thought too.

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

She needs a writer. These narration boxes are annoying.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Poch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Perhaps the most beloved annual tradition of Curtis: The Kwanzaa story kind of petering out to a "Wha...huh?" moral that doesn't line up with anything we just read over the last two weeks.

this one feels especially ridiculous because Joe's wish was explicitly for this to happen but it keeps acting like he wished for something else entirely

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

alright so do we think they just play this straight to a sappy sunday kiss

or does wilbur drunkenly crash this whole affair

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Even for Dustin this is getting pretty absurd. Did they decide to triple down and make the mother unbearably toxic and petty too? Ed is Ed and the sister is a caustic poison factory but yeesh.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

"Prejudice would go away if we all looked the same. But we don't all look the same and that's awesome. So I guess don't have prejudice"

Okay, so like... prejudice isn't just about outward appearance though. There's still sexual/gender prejudices, religious prejudices, territorial ones, etc...

But even if it was, this doesn't do anything because NOT EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME NOW. People all still have differences, they just now have bigger teeth and ears! There are three different skin tones right in the second panel!!!

I guess it means "since everyone looks the same (as Joe) prejudice and ridicule were ended (for Joe)" but that's not how it works or how it reads!

Even without those factors prejudice would still exist because it’s the primary way class-based hierarchies are justified while also serving as a useful tool to push the naturally occurring negative outcomes of capitalism/colonialism/society in general/etc away from the upper classes and towards the “right” people. In other words, if you need to do something lovely to a large group of people it’s usually a good strategy to characterize them as fundamentally deficient in some way so that the general public doesn’t feel a need to get involved. Removing the surface level attributes used to justify these actions post-hoc would do nothing to prevent this.

/soapbox

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

rannum posted:

this one feels especially ridiculous because Joe's wish was explicitly for this to happen but it keeps acting like he wished for something else entirely

alright so do we think they just play this straight to a sappy sunday kiss

or does wilbur drunkenly crash this whole affair
Wilbur's there.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

He probably won't get drunk and make a spectacle of himself until the reception.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What a totally normal and loving family the Kudlicks are... gently caress sake!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Storefri

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Get. A. Divorce.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had an ex who reopened her OKCupid account while we were still dating after we had a fight or something. A smarter person would have taken this as a sign to break up, but I was not that smart at that point!

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

"All I want to do is pretend I'm as athletic as I was in high school and not 50 pounds heavier with knees of porcelain, I don't know why everyone's so negative!"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

"All I want to do is pretend I'm as athletic as I was in high school and not 50 pounds heavier with knees of porcelain, I don't know why everyone's so negative!"

Please please please, let it be that Ed misread without his glasses and he's signed up for a pole dance class (b/c who the gently caress has ever heard of pole vault classes in adult ed :wtc:). I'd forgive this comic at least a few of its sins if it made Ed extremely uncomfortable for a week run.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/20-22/49

1. I need to find a way to work "Good jumpin' jizzywitches!" into a conversation someday.
2. What's with "Bock is back"? Bock beer was originally a seasonal drink, sold in the spring. In the days before the Coorsmillerbud monolith, people got their suds from local breweries, who would run ads letting bock fans know when it was available. Those ads usually included pictures of goats, because Bock means "billy goat" in German.

Archie 2/25-27/46

Those kids today call this music? It's just noise!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I know it's played for comedy but I just got that kneejerk anger I get when a stupid character throws away free money. THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS CAN BUY MANY PIZZAS, JEREMY!!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Maybe Some Insects Should Never Be Intelligent or Sapient

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So, what, he's four feet wide still?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/27/46

Those kids today call this music? It's just noise!

“Let ‘er rock” in 1946? I know rock as a genre predates 1955, but I’m surprised to see this. I’m not sure when an Archies rock band was introduced.

These are the first interesting Pogos, too. Giving every character the same irritating fakey accent makes it rough at times.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bruceski posted:

So, what, he's four feet wide still?
my glorious chungus husband

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I went back and bought the cat and the bag. The cat is for me, the tote bag is a thank you to the person who's watching my cat. She has a brown tabby that looks kinda like a Kliban cat, so I think she'll really like it. Plus it says "Catnapple," it's adorable!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Hell yeah!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kliban is wonderful. I love those cats.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sundae posted:

Please please please, let it be that Ed misread without his glasses and he's signed up for a pole dance class (b/c who the gently caress has ever heard of pole vault classes in adult ed :wtc:). I'd forgive this comic at least a few of its sins if it made Ed extremely uncomfortable for a week run.

Dollars to donuts Kelley is either going through a rough fourth divorce or all of his ex-wives are coming back to him for alimony or something. Boomer chud cartoonists project all of their problems and every perceived slight against them straight into their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Woo, The Bus!

Ah, that nice sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

So is Jerry going to snitch on Marla for being at that trade show or is this when Stuart gets promoted and Marla has to bury her risky dream to take the sure money? Of course since Retail is very accurate and well written about the horror of the retail worker experience I think that second option is most likely. :(

I don't know either, for the record, but my assumption based on my knowledge of RETAILS FROM THE FUTURE is that she has to ditch the whole plan when she finds out she's pregnant and needs her health insurance.