Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Astrochicken posted:

Elon will save us. Save humanity, and save dog in kind.

So few understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

jeffreyw posted:

Is it actually? I’ve actually never been in a Tesla but I find it hard to believe the interior is superficially worse than my Mazda 3.

If it is, I guess Tesla as a company is not long for this world.

I owned a Model 3 and a Mazda 3.

The Mazda 3 (the newer model, especially) is miles ahead in terms of interior quality. It's not even close.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Also the interfaces are for the audience to see. Like those transparent holographic displays Iron Man and Star Trek uses. Actually using it would suck.

If Elon actually managed to get a Elonphone to market, it'd be like those glass slab hand terminals from The Expanse and we'll get so many quality "Love the phone, but some guy with a camera on his shoe like he was gonna take upskirt photos just stole my credit card info while I was buying a gizmo. Is this normal?" tweets from rubes, and I'm here for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just realized that neither capacitive buttons nor touchscreens are usable when you get into the car wearing gloves. Speaking from northern Ontario in the winter, lol

But then you’d probably have issues with battery charge anyway in -20C if you don’t have a garage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Entropic posted:

I just realized that neither capacitive buttons nor touchscreens are usable when you get into the car wearing gloves. Speaking from northern Ontario in the winter, lol

But then you’d probably have issues with battery charge anyway in -20C if you don’t have a garage.

Have you considered just living in California like a normal person?
:techbrosay:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Data Graham posted:

My favorite KFC-founding-adjacent anecdote is that in Canada, KFC pretends not only that KFC has nothing to do with Kentucky, but has nothing to do with the USA.

I was in the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto about 20 years ago and got KFC at the food court; the box the chicken came in had a blurb on the side about the company's history and I swear to Christ it said, "The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant was opened in Calgary in 1956. Ever since then, ..."

I have been kicking myself ever since for not taking a picture of it. I mean I don't blame them I guess

Kanadian Fried Chicken

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Entropic posted:

Look at this touchscreen-compatible-gloves-less boomer.

I just tried using some in Norway and it's basically impossible.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tsietisin posted:

Slightly related, but as touchscreens in things like cars and so on become more popular, I have a friend who is working with technology to provide physical resistance in mid air above the touchscreens.

This is so that you get the tactile sense of where you are on the screen without having to look. The idea is that you will also be able to get this sensation in mid air to which they have had some considerable success.

Of course Tesla will never put this in their cars because it might reduce accidents, and where's the fun in that.

why not use buttons?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Entropic posted:

Just do what the South Koreans do, use a tiny sausage to operate the screen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zil posted:

Just do what the South Koreans do, use a tiny sausage to operate the screen.

Don't your passengers object to you operating the touch screen with your penis

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ilmucche posted:

why not use buttons?

not cool enough

(also moving parts, which have to be manufactured and installed and you can't arbitrarily change via software)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Kanadian Fried Chicken

Kamloops Fried chicken

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I loved this loving thing so much.

I'm kinda mad I sold my 1st gen iPod that had the actually rotating disc. I know a lot of people hated them for getting hosed up with dirt and stuff, but I liked it way more than the next one with the stationary disc and tactile feedback. It was such a weird but at the same time awe inspiring way of navigating with the device. When it comes to revolutionary input devices, Apple just knocked it out of the park for such a long time...iPod click wheel, actually fluid touch/gesture control on the first iPhone, the incredible touchpads starting with the TiBook...good times.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Data Graham posted:

not cool enough

(also moving parts, which have to be manufactured and installed and you can't arbitrarily change via software)

My work macbook got replaced by one of the models with a touch bar instead of function keys, and arbitrarily changing key layouts via software is a terrible design choice.

Using the old function keys to alter volume or brightness was simple via muscle memory and tactile feedback and barely broke my flow. Now I have to stop what I'm doing, look away from the screen, find the volume icon, tap and gently caress around with dragging sliders to do something that used to take a couple of keystrokes.

I hate doing that while computer touching. The idea of having to do it while driving horrifies me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My work macbook got replaced by one of the models with a touch bar instead of function keys, and arbitrarily changing key layouts via software is a terrible design choice.

Using the old function keys to alter volume or brightness was simple via muscle memory and tactile feedback and barely broke my flow. Now I have to stop what I'm doing, look away from the screen, find the volume icon, tap and gently caress around with dragging sliders to do something that used to take a couple of keystrokes.

I hate doing that while computer touching. The idea of having to do it while driving horrifies me.

The bar wouldn've made more sense if it didn't replace the Esc and F keys and was just an optional added keybar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tuo posted:

I'm kinda mad I sold my 1st gen iPod that had the actually rotating disc. I know a lot of people hated them for getting hosed up with dirt and stuff, but I liked it way more than the next one with the stationary disc and tactile feedback. It was such a weird but at the same time awe inspiring way of navigating with the device. When it comes to revolutionary input devices, Apple just knocked it out of the park for such a long time...iPod click wheel, actually fluid touch/gesture control on the first iPhone, the incredible touchpads starting with the TiBook...good times.

I've been grumbling for 20 odd years now about how going to a capacitive click wheel instead of a physically rotating one is a step backward for usability. When the piece of plastic is moving along with your fingertip it guides your finger naturally in a circle and maintains contact via stiction, but if it's just a circular pad you have to do the rotating yourself

Then they doubled down with the row of identical little circular capacitive buttons that you couldn't locate your fingers on without "pressing" them

CommieGIR posted:

The bar wouldn've made more sense if it didn't replace the Esc and F keys and was just an optional added keybar.

They did realize this themselves and updated the touchbar with a physical Esc key, but it took till the M1 generation to finally give up and realize the whole thing was a lovely idea just like the iPod buttons and the Tesla screens

loving UI :airquote: designers :airquote: who think they're insightful geniuses who have come up with something nobody else has thought of and dismissed as stupid ages ago

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 6, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fortunately not everyone is this dumb.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I still don't understand why the apple mouse requires me to flip it over to charge it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I still don't understand why the apple mouse requires me to flip it over to charge it

I can't get people to do this, they prop the mouse up on the cable and love breaking them.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

jeffreyw posted:

Is it actually? I’ve actually never been in a Tesla but I find it hard to believe the interior is superficially worse than my Mazda 3.

If it is, I guess Tesla as a company is not long for this world.

Dunno which generation your Mazda is but the new one - which will be what Tesla's current lineup is competing against - is very plush and refined

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

FirstnameLastname posted:

looks like they never fixed it by the way

gently caress this guy to death. I live in Florida and this poo poo kills dozens upon dozens of animals and children every year.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A E S T H E T I C S

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lmao Tesla was down before markets even opened, and dropped further. We’re in the mid-103’s right now :getin:

Fake e: we’re approaching the sweet spot where percentage losses are the same as dollar losses! :)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Data Graham posted:

The yoke wheels are maybe THE most "8-year-old designing a car and not having any idea why things are the way they are" thing about Tesla.

"Oh hey you know what would be cool? If the steering wheel was a JOYSTICK! Or like an AIRPLANE YOKE! That would be sooo cooool! Why does it have to be a boring old wheel anyway, that's dumb. Haha I'm so smart, nobody has ever thought of this idea before!"

They are round because you need to turn them more than 30 degrees during normal driving, this was settled a century ago not because people were stupid and unimaginative but because it is clearly far and away the best and obvious solution

I know, put tank treads on it, or fair in the rear wheels because that looks rad (never mind that it makes it impossible to change tires)

Also needs to be round for safety; If something goes wrong or even if you ride over a pothole you should be able to just squeeze down tight which is impossible when your controller slips out of your hand. A wheel stays where it is.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's to intentionally stop people from using the mouse while plugged in because then it would look like a cheap old regular wired mouse and that would be just terrible

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

grittyreboot posted:

Tesla keeps advertising Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk for their gaming system and those are horrible games for that kind of screen. You'd just be looking down and to the right trying to read pretty information dense HUDs on a screen that's about the size of those tiny TV's you get for your kitchen. Not to mention both games were designed to be played for well over a hour at a time, not for the 20 or so minutes you need to spend at a recharging station.

the implication is that you'll be gaming while FSD drives you. obv this will never happen.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Lord Stimperor posted:

Also needs to be round for safety; If something goes wrong or even if you ride over a pothole you should be able to just squeeze down tight which is impossible when your controller slips out of your hand. A wheel stays where it is.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/tesla-model-3-steering-wheel-falls-off-one-month-after-delivery/

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

Dunno which generation your Mazda is but the new one - which will be what Tesla's current lineup is competing against - is very plush and refined

I wish Mazda would hurry up with a good electric. I recall reading when the electric Cx30 came out last year people complained about its horrible range and Mazda just said to have a 2nd ICE car for when you needed more range lmao

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

the implication is that you'll be gaming while FSD drives you. obv this will never happen.

Using the steering wheel as control input for the car and game at the same time is a great idea! I am a disruptor :haw:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That and the way you had to charge the first iPad Pro pencil are so incredibly stupid I'm impressed someone came up with the idea, and other people agreed to design and produce it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

I dare you to control this motherfucker by touch just groping blindly in your pocket
Bad example. iPods don't go in your pocket, you are obsessively fiddling with it out in the open so everyone can see your sweet iPod.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm pretty biased (I've gone from a 2007 Mazda3 to a 2015, then to my current 2018 CX-5) but they know what they're doing with interiors. I drive a lot of rental cars for work and there are some really lovely designs/materials used in brand new cars. I intend to drive my CX-5 until it dies but I was able to rent a 2022 Mazda 3 GT Turbo last year and it really had me thinking about starting a car loan from scratch. I just can't bring myself to going back to a hatchback with the lovely roads we have in RI

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm sort of surprised the user data hack isn't getting more press. Is it because the actual hack happened a few years ago? Or people are just sort of used to this sort of thing nowadays.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Uh....was $TSLA at 102 today or is Google loving up again?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tuo posted:

It was heavily down pre-market and immediately after opening but has recovered a bit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

tuo posted:

Saw a dip to that territory on stocktwits too.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gimme double-digit $TSLA before the weekend, stock-god!!!

e: oh poo poo, what have I done, it's climbing

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 6, 2023

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Last time the stock was hovering around 100 was Summer of 2020.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I don’t even like capacitive buttons on my computer monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Entropic posted:

I live in the colorado high rockies where they regularly close the highways during blizzards meaning traffic sits for hours on the highway until they can clear the wreck or whatever. Now it's common knowledge you don't drive on the highway here in the winter without a full tank of gas (if not with extra spare fuel). Now imagine sitting in a tesla running the heater on an ever weaker battery. I don't care what tesla says the capabilites are I would be freaking out. Still so many people have them up here.