Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FF is there something you're trying to tell us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

evilmiera posted:

Russia keeps breaking treaties but it's probably best to get mad at everyone else when they do it again like everyone predicted

stfu gbs pig

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Kissinger's greatest fear was warm relations between China and Russia. Those two countries have the combined expertise, arable land, and resources to create an independent world island that can surpass the United States by any metric.

And it's happening!

It's kind of amazing how badly they've hosed everything up. The American government is run primarily by people who were alive for so much of the poo poo that America did to maintain it's place in the world through the 20th century and all that intitutional knowledge just what, disappeared? What even happened?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
is the american imperial project just the super strong corporation that got passed down to a generation of failsons that didn't know how to run it and just pulled out the copper wires and let it implode

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

i feel like its kinda misleading to only count government spending as costs to the west given that we're in the middle of a self-inflicted economic meltdown atm

Inflation is high but steady year over year. gdp is up 3.2% for the 3rd quarter 2022. Stocks are down a little but i don't think that's 100% attributable to the war. Hell, dow is about where it was when the war started. I don't really see any big losses due to the war tbh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1611379562469892096

lol this news cycle is semantically targeted to drive us all insane

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Hatebag posted:

Inflation is high but steady year over year. gdp is up 3.2% for the 3rd quarter 2022. Stocks are down a little but i don't think that's 100% attributable to the war. Hell, dow is about where it was when the war started. I don't really see any big losses due to the war tbh

is that just the US? It's pretty bad in the rest of the west

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hatebag posted:

ah of course, since the bullshit metrics are back where they started that totally means everything is fine

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

crepeface posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

ah of course, since the bullshit metrics are back where they started that totally means everything is fine

Inflation is quite bad right now but unless something breaks things in North America are just as "fine" as they've been since 2008 (permanent recession briefly ameliorated by a stimulus check). I don't think it's accurate to compare what's happening in Europe to the way things are in the states at the moment. That could change soon but I think it's too early to be declaring any of this war a real loss for the US.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

crepeface posted:

Yeah, that's just the us.

Cerebral Bore posted:

you made the assertion that things were bad so I looked into it and that's what i came up with. Doesn't look any worse than it was before the war and i don't know how else you'd make an analysis other than vibes or media horseshit

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
inflation is the highest it's been in decades, companies are shutting down all over the eurozone and neoliberalism has rotted the west so hard they they can't even produce artillery shells in the quantities necessary for a conventional war, but have you seen that the dow has bounced back???

PiratePrentice posted:

Inflation is quite bad right now but unless something breaks things in North America are just as "fine" as they've been since 2008 (permanent recession briefly ameliorated by a stimulus check). I don't think it's accurate to compare what's happening in Europe to the way things are in the states at the moment. That could change soon but I think it's too early to be declaring any of this war a real loss for the US.

the us has been reduced to cannibalizing its euro vassals to keep their economy propped up, but the problem here is that this is not exactly a sustainable solution when the eurozone ecoomy is falling apart

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1611379562469892096

lol this news cycle is semantically targeted to drive us all insane

this is the ceasefire ukrainians very loudly refused to accept right?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you seriously believe that "everything is fine" and "nothing changed" in US then we live in a different universe. There's really nothing to argue about here, there are plenty of statistics that show that things "are not fine" and that things "have changed".

If you chose to not look at them that's fine, but there's no discussion or argument to be had here because of that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Truga posted:

this is the ceasefire ukrainians very loudly refused to accept right?

Putin violated the ceasefire to show us that he could violate the ceasefire if Ukraine had accepted it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hatebag posted:

lol using gdp growth as a measure of the country being ok did you see what the growth was in

ill help you out like 90% of it was military sales and oil exports

i missed the stocks part as well lmbo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

Putin violated the ceasefire to show us that he could violate the ceasefire if Ukraine had accepted it.

lmfao it hasn't been run into the ground yet!!!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

imagine living in the us right now and claiming things arnt bad economically or havent changed

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

But you see, the wealthy have never been doing better!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

HallelujahLee posted:

imagine living in the us right now and claiming things arnt bad economically or havent changed

If you’re only 30-40 years old (which is still old as gently caress), might not have been around to notice the difference from the previous era of stronger unions, middle class attainability, and comically evil segregation and gender policies.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

If you’re only 30-40 years old (which is still old as gently caress), might not have been around to notice the difference from the previous era of stronger unions, middle class attainability, and comically evil segregation and gender policies.

this is true to a point millennials have basically seen since day 1 but theres definitely been a curve of it getting worse over time

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

PiratePrentice posted:

is the american imperial project just the super strong corporation that got passed down to a generation of failsons that didn't know how to run it and just pulled out the copper wires and let it implode

Yes. It makes more sense when you know that there is no more real big project but individual actors working in their own self interest only. The institutions and groups are still there but they are dysfunctional now because the hogs inside can't help but pull it apart for their own gain. They don't know how to think for a larger thing anymore.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1611028379771482118

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The media in the US is definitely gaslighting people, cause every so often I see an article about how inflation is easing and motherfucker the bread is still 50% more expensive than before the war started, rice fluctuates between 15% to 30% more expensive in any given week. Meats are still super expensive and so are the eggs. On what is the inflation easing?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

lol using gdp growth as a measure of the country being ok did you see what the growth was in

ill help you out like 90% of it was military sales and oil exports

i missed the stocks part as well lmbo

All i was doing was comparing metrics from before and after the war. They don't seem that different to me, but I'm not an economist. I didn't say things were good in the us

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The media in the US is definitely gaslighting people, cause every so often I see an article about how inflation is easing and motherfucker the bread is still 50% more expensive than before the war started, rise fluctuates between 15% to 30% more expensive in any given week. Meats are still super expensive and so are the eggs. On what is the inflation easing?

its gaslighting those prices arent going back to what they were they best your getting is that they dont rise as fast. it also hasent been easing at all in important stuff like food,rent they deliberately exclude stuff from inflation numbers

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The media in the US is definitely gaslighting people, cause every so often I see an article about how inflation is easing and motherfucker the bread is still 50% more expensive than before the war started, rice fluctuates between 15% to 30% more expensive in any given week. Meats are still super expensive and so are the eggs. On what is the inflation easing?

75" smart TV is only like 500 bucks!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Condiv posted:

It's because you accidentally asked for mutant super soldiers with thumbs instead of index fingers and 10 fingers per hand.

There’s like a dedicated AI you feed Midjourney and DALLE into the fix faces, hands and eyes iirc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

economists are saying that because the rate of acceleration of inflation has peaked, that inflation has peaked

this is the same sleight of hand perpetrated upon the public when it came to COVID reporting, where things were perpetually optimistic because either cases were low, or cases had peaked, or cases were on the downturn

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Look at all these poopie tankie pamps after Russia violated their own ceasefire.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hatebag posted:

All i was doing was comparing metrics from before and after the war. They don't seem that different to me, but I'm not an economist. I didn't say things were good in the us

the point being those metrics you chose are useless to determine the well being of people economically

this doesnt even touch in how economic stats are deliberately bullshitted or omit tons of real info the most obvious example being the unemployment rate

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/aloha9916/status/1611323524534206464

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HallelujahLee posted:

This is pretty much Megan McArdle and Malcom Gladwell’s jobs, correct?

I’m married to a working economist so I just tune it out tbh. We have a new book on the coffee table or her bookshelf every month about how everything is great, the Economist weekly, the Globe and Mail daily.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

This is pretty much Megan McArdle and Malcom Gladwell’s jobs, correct?

I’m married to a working economist so I just tune it out tbh. We have a new book on the coffee table or her bookshelf every month about how everything is great, the Economist weekly, the Globe and Mail daily.

they always do the same thing even right down to the 2008 collapse they were daily articles about how amazing everything is, its a profitable business to write bullshit garbage to gaslight people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DOW SOARS
ECONOMY HUMMING

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I forget where this conversation was, but food is technically back to "pre-war levels" I think. Which means it's only back to super inflated pandemic rates.

There's something about rice actually being the most stable staple food now keeping the food prices down, otherwise things would be even more expensive right now.

Like right now things are not "extremely bad" they're just "really bad". You can argue that US and the west is far far from any sort of revolution, but also just going "eh it's nothing" is really weird.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

the point being those metrics you chose are useless to determine the well being of people economically

this doesnt even touch in how economic stats are deliberately bullshitted or omit tons of real info the most obvious example being the unemployment rate

Yeah, i get that the books are cooked i just don't know what other measurements to use that would be closer to reality and i suspect it would take more than 5 minutes of googling to figure out

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

i remember those weird pics from the gym posted in the succ zone for some reason

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Yeah, i get that the books are cooked i just don't know what other measurements to use that would be closer to reality and i suspect it would take more than 5 minutes of googling to figure out
its def a combo of alot of metrics that you have to dig even deeper to get accurate metrics theres an interesting one being the number of people that actually own homes in the US is waaaay lower than the one reported i think the official number is like 65% in reality its closer to 50% if not lower due to the way they report the numbers

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't think anyone's saying things are good in the US, it's just that things are supposed to be bad in the US. The MLs were wiped out in the 60s/70s so theres zero revolutionary potential in the country, it can just be post-2008 indefinitely and it won't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

he finally realized there's a much larger market of potential cato husbands than potential cato wives