Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I Am Fowl posted:

I know nothing about Ladybug, but a young girl saying "I'll never give you my Miraculous" is upsetting without context.
I think that's a you problem, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Almost certainly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

Injun Trouble kinda highlights changing transit systems because it was both a 1938 and a 1969 cartoon, and the pun switched from train to car.

Also the 1969 one was both more racist and an objectively worse cartoon without a plot. I feel like the more racist Looney Tunes often tend to be worse in other ways not pertaining to the racism as well.

Honestly we are very lucky that there aren't any cartoons that are hilarious despite the racism because then people would be attached to them

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

I know nothing about Ladybug

good, try to stay that way

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

The good ones were all from the fifties...
checks Wikipedia
Oof. At least I don't think anyone is missing Injun Trouble.

I’d say the best Looney Tunes run from the late 30s to a little after the war ended. The only 50s ones that are a real loss are Foghorn Leghorn.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Dante Basco will be the only one of the core 5 returning to reprise his role in the upcoming ATLA movie:

https://avatarnews.co/post/704558418517770240/dante-basco-will-return-to-voice-fire-lord-zuko-as

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get the decision to recast with actors of more appropriate races, but Dante Basco isn't East Asian, is he?

Also makes me think that they'll also recast if that Korra thing ever comes out, which would be even weirder since those characters were already adults at the end of that show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dante Basco is Filipino, but the Fire Nation is pretty clearly intended to be Japanese. I don't think it matters that much though.

M. Night Shyamalan made the Fire Nation more Indian in his movie for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dante Basco is Filipino, but the Fire Nation is pretty clearly intended to be Japanese. I don't think it matters that much though.

M. Night Shyamalan made the Fire Nation more Indian in his movie for some reason.

Because he cast Jesse McCarthy initially as Zuko, everyone lost their poo poo because he was a white guy, then he was replaced with Dev Patel so the rest of the Fire Nation characters had to hastily be recast with actors who were closer to Patel ethnically.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I am honestly thinking about it and I don't think I've ever seen a film that depicted India as an imperial power. Probably because they were victims of imperialism, not imperialists. At least to my knowledge. Bet someone is about to explain something about India history that I didn't know. But, still, it does seem off to have your imperial empire be cast by descendants of victims of imperialism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

nine-gear crow posted:

Because he cast Jesse McCarthy initially as Zuko, everyone lost their poo poo because he was a white guy, then he was replaced with Dev Patel so the rest of the Fire Nation characters had to hastily be recast with actors who were closer to Patel ethnically.

Oh so that's why Aasif Mandvi was Zhao.

"I shall become Zhao, the Moonslayer! Anyway, back to you Jon."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Covok posted:

I am honestly thinking about it and I don't think I've ever seen a film that depicted India as an imperial power. Probably because they were victims of imperialism, not imperialists. At least to my knowledge. Bet someone is about to explain something about India history that I didn't know. But, still, it does seem off to have your imperial empire be cast by descendants of victims of imperialism.

I mean, defining 'India' there is kind of a loaded question to start with. It's an extremely diverse country with an extremely long and extremely complex history.

Though most of the cultures in Avatar are deliberate mix-ups incorporating all kinds of influences. The Fire Nation has Imperial Japanese elements but also a lot of Chinese touches and even some Thai in the architecture, apparently. It's the kind of thing where an adaptation absolutely could mix things up culturally while keeping the essence, but of course M Night is a huge idiot and I think a big example of Hollywood being with adaptations 'oh yeah that's a cute little thing for kids you have, now aren't you lucky I'm here to do it properly? Wait why are you all so mad'

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm almost certain that the logic behind Indian Fire Nation is to "compensate" for White Water Tribe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's especially yeesh since the Southern Water Tribe is very much First Nations styled, mostly Inuit with a bit of Great Plains and Great Lakes. (mostly Sokka's weapons)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mycot posted:

I'm almost certain that the logic behind Indian Fire Nation is to "compensate" for White Water Tribe.

Yeah. I suspect Shyamalan's hiring was part and parcel of this, though I'm not particularly informed by the order of events on this one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah. I suspect Shyamalan's hiring was part and parcel of this, though I'm not particularly informed by the order of events on this one.

I listened to the Blank Check episode on The Last Airbender a couple months ago and the way Griffin Newman describes it, based on supposed insider info that was posted on one of the big Avatar fan site message boards long after the film was a bitter memory and all the NDAs had expired, the reason why the Water Tribe was all white people as because Katara was one of the first roles cast for the film and Nicola Peltz was the daughter of billionaire Nelson Peltz who put a lot of money into the film or some other Shyamalan-adjacent project and leaned on Night super hard with "Hey, my daughter wants to be an actor, why don't you cast her in your little magic film... or I'll pull all my money out of it." So they had to start casting all the Water Tribe actors around her, including Sokka and Kanna. Newms said he even auditioned for Sokka and said the script had clearly gone through a whole fuckton of rewrites as some point because his sides for Sokka were WAY more comedic than anything that actually showed up in the film, and he was like "oh thank Christ, I dodged a bullet there," in not booking it.

A similar thing happened with Jesse McCartney, as I outlined in the earlier post, but he ducked out on the project early enough that I don't think anyone had been cast yet for Iroh, Zhao, Ozai and Azula that they could very quickly start from scratch with a new Zuko.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What a loving stupid excuse "We cast an albino as our lead so now this whole group needs to be boring and look like her" "Oh now the prince looks Indian guess that entire nation is all the same too"

I mean God, take the show and dumb it down in an even more simplistic way Christ.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat i like how it gets dumber and dumber.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who's ever heard of a nation that's multi-ethnic

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Covok posted:

The recent rise of Hindutva nationalism is a pretty ugly thing so that aspect might age "better" unfortunately.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Who's ever heard of a nation that's multi-ethnic

Only the Earth Kingdom in the show really had a diversity of cultures.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

Only the Earth Kingdom in the show really had a diversity of cultures.
The South Water and North Water benders seemed to have their own things going.

Fire Nation was a dictatorship at that point so it was likely some "k now you're going to follow our Fire Nation Style guide" instead of a confederacy of conquered nations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Come And See posted:

The recent rise of Hindutva nationalism is a pretty ugly thing so that aspect might age "better" unfortunately.

Like I said, I knew someone was going to point something like this out. How depressing.

FilthyImp posted:

The South Water and North Water benders seemed to have their own things going.

Fire Nation was a dictatorship at that point so it was likely some "k now you're going to follow our Fire Nation Style guide" instead of a confederacy of conquered nations.

All the nations are actually multiethnic, especially in the expanded universe. The South and North are their own separate groups culturally. The Fire Nation used to have a clan based structure with a lot of diversity before Kyosho accidentally helped a Fire Lord consolidate power and basically make the imperial court a joke. Still, there were holdouts like the Sun Warriors and the Firebenders who decided to live with Sky Bison before the genocid3 in secret. Earth Kingdom has ethnic groups we don't even know anything about except they exist, like the Beetle Head merchants who live alongside the Samdbenders of the Si Wong Desert.

And the roleplaying game added even more details like that to the setting.

So, like, ignoring reality, a mutiethnic take wouldn't have even been out of place with the series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And even the Fire Nation has Ember Island's somewhat distinct culture. And there's also individuals like Guru Pathik who aren't specifically identified as being from any particular culture we see.

Like, on paper you could get away with mixing up the casting as long as you're consistent about it and maintain the very deliberate point of diversity, especially given the theme that every society has good and bad people. Hell, could get some Bollywood talent if you're going with India. ...and now picturing a Bollywood Avatar. poo poo, that could work.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
For the movie, the rest of the southern tribe was non-white actors except for the main characters who were white; it was laughably poor execution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most of the big fight scenes are basically dances as it is. Make the entire Sun Warriors sequence into a musical number.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of the big fight scenes are basically dances as it is. Make the entire Sun Warriors sequence into a musical number.

Turning bending into dances was one of the big problems with the movie, wasn't it? They had it so they did weird ritual dances to produce results without any connection between what they did and the actual movement of the element, it became more like casting a spell.

That said yes 100% bending musical. Just needs better choreography.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 5, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MikeJF posted:

Turning bending into dances was one of the big problems with the movie, wasn't it? They had it so they did weird ritual dances to produce results without any connection between what they did and the actual movement of the element, it became more like casting a spell.

That said yes 100% bending musical. Just needs better choreography.

Which led to the scene everyone makes fun of where like ten guys have to do this whole dance routine to move a single not particularly large rock at a very slow speed

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

Which led to the scene everyone makes fun of where like ten guys have to do this whole dance routine to move a single not particularly large rock at a very slow speed

And it's poorly directed so the characters don't start moving until they realise they are now in the shot and need to look busy due to the panning shot being poorly thought out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's sort of what happens in the movie to hilarious results.

"EARTHBENDERS! There is EARTH under your feet!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That's sort of what happens in the movie to hilarious results.

"EARTHBENDERS! There is EARTH under your feet!"

And then eight people have a minute long dance off to lift a rock any one of them could have just picked up and thrown at the Fire Nation guards by hand.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
the weirdest bit is that the rock floats in lazily, and then some other guy does his own dance to launch it at high speeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdTekqoZjKc

so:

1) the group actually created the wall, but then continued dancing, which is wrong by the standards of the show and even the movie and of logic. the rock was entirely the foreground guy

2) the group floated the rock, but then one guy can launch it much faster... so why was the group floating it?

3) the group actually did nothing, and it was all the one bender in the foreground

e; oh, and then it looks like the fire bender actually does a fairly straightforward attack (a spin, but at least a simple one and the fire moves immediately in response, and matches his movements), and foreground guy does a simple, straight forward movement that creates an immediate shield... so I dunno

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 5, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

1) the group actually created the wall, but then continued dancing, which is wrong by the standards of the show and even the movie and of logic. the rock was entirely the foreground guy

I suspect it's probably supposed to be this, and the reason the order of operations is nonsensical is that if you show them dancing first and then pan to the wall, you lose the dramatic tension of it appearing just in time. The obvious solution, of course, is for the group to be holding a stance to keep the wall up instead of actively moving around.

E: lol just watched the clip again and the wall has already collapsed by the time the shot pans over, so that's another thing you'd have to change.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 5, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd forgotten Night's Firebenders need fire present which would have made Azula in a sequel (heh) much less impressive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I'd forgotten Night's Firebenders need fire present which would have made Azula in a sequel (heh) much less impressive.

Iroh could do it without a pre-existing flame and it freaked Zhao the gently caress out, Ozai could as well at the end of the film, so I assume that Azula could have as well and that would have been her thing instead of lightning bending. But who knows.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
was going to say they could retcon it that supa firebenders could do it and thats why theyre supa and the royal family.

oh and thats why Zuko is a weak beta son sent on a fool's errand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think they wanted to have every Firebender suddenly be able to summon fire under Sozin's Comet or something.

But it's amazing how those half-assed adaptations seem to have the directors and producers suddenly lose 50 IQ points and make the most amateur mistakes because they think it's kiddy poo poo that doesn't matter.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But the effects were decent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Junpei posted:

But the effects were decent.

Someone didn't see it in 3D, it was considered one of the worst 3D conversions ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was quoting Ember Island Players.