Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Namtab posted:

on the big tv?

On the big TV in the dorm common room on the bus in the subway, without headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i gave a copy of onimai to the pope

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the princess in magirevo does do some vaguely typical isekai stuff like "i used my knowledge of the scientific method from my previous life to develop new magical tech!" but you could easily have her be an eccentric researcher without that backstory and that part of it is hardly relevant from what i've read

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sometimes isekai is just a framing device to justify the MC being eccentric and/or genre savvy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sometimes isekai is just a framing device to justify getting 3x the clicks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Japanese dub of A Herbivorous Dragon of 5,000 Years Gets Unfairly Villainized just started, if anyone was waiting for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d51Gf5oU_Hg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AlternateNu posted:

:hmmyes:

:confused:

:stare:

You have an '05 reg date. What the gently caress is this poo poo?
"how have you not seen all of the rocky movies" but about an anime series

Also I've never seen rocky

Endorph posted:

sometimes isekai is just a framing device to justify getting 3x the clicks
most of the time it's that or an excuse to introduce guns/rice/cars etc into medieval settings, and also that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

secretly best girl posted:

Onimai is a comedy laser targeted at me and my very juvenile sense of humor and nothing in the episode crossed my personal line, so it's probably got a season pass from me barring just absolutely smashing itself in the face somewhere in the middle. I feel like the best description I have of it from trying to describe it to a pal is "what if original-series Washu was your little sister, and just as unethical/scandalous, but played as a heartwarming??? comedy". The lead plays straight man to this insanity very well without feeling two-dimensional about it.

Oh for sure dude.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People are allowed to like things in 2023.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

onimai seems a bit sus, tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Onimai and Inukai-san battle it out for most sus show of the season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Onimai and Inukai-san battle it out for most sus show of the season
vampire gets permabanned in no time

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The sussier the better, in 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Namtab posted:

No

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Mild ribbing is allowed in 2023.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

The sussier the better, in 2023

Eh, maybe not when it involves naked children.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to destroy onimai

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2023 is the year of destruction

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

nervously haha yeah. what a rube. my favorite part? uhhh, i really like the three guns

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

of all the things to dunk on invictus for. you choose him not having seen one old man anime that was popular in the 2000s

Simmer down there, ‘13er. I reserve the right to dunk on my cardboard crack dealer. :colbert:

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Lemon-Lime posted:

I know it's originally an LN so I wonder whether this was an issue of the manga making weird decisions, or whether it was faithful to the LN and the anime adaptation decided to bake later reveals into the narrative right from the start to give everyone more depth.

That's anime original stuff iirc

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

i gave a copy of onimai to the pope

presented to him right after the megalovania/juggling performance

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Namtab posted:

adtrw is a place for being embarrassed that you like anime so you call it problematic to distance yourself

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
look. i think it doesn't really have to be stated out loud that if there was an onimai thread everyone who posted in it would probably be gone within the week.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to post for real, I know nothing about onimai.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you're playing a risky game here, bro

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Invictus posted:

The only good ones are 1, 2, and 4 for the jingoism.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

you're playing a risky game here, bro

living life on the edge

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The only oni that should be on your mind is Onipan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

haypliss posted:

The only oni that should be on your mind is Onipan.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Personally I watched all of Eva when I was 13 and thought it was ok. I then watched half of Cowboy Bebop and dropped it. Finished Wolf's Rain though, hell yeah, good year of anime. Don't remember if I ever watched Trigun tbh

To stay on topic, MagiRevo was pretty good

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 6, 2023

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

That's anime original stuff iirc

Cool, thanks - the anime is looking like it'll be a very good adaptation and worth watching even if you've read the ~30 chapters that have been TLed into English.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

still excited about how strong the execution on that magirevo premiere was. hope it carries through to the episodes that arent handled by the director
revenger is decent, very urobuchi-by-numbers writing but has strong art direction and layouts which is catnip for me, will give it a try
onimai they made too sus and not funny enough, not for me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AlternateNu posted:

The only good ones are 1, 2, and 4 for the jingoism.

You can't fool me that's just the third Rocky movie you labeled 4.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i will watch the first two episodes of this weird pervert anime and decide based on that if it is for the wrong type of perverts for something awful dot com

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been reading more of the Iceblade manga, and it really is genuinely charming. I continue to be baffled by how the same source material could end up as such a radically different (and awful) anime - it's like the manga staff had all the good ideas on how to adapt the light novel, and the anime staff had all the bad ones.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

"how have you not seen all of the rocky movies" but about an anime series

most of the time it's that or an excuse to introduce guns/rice/cars etc into medieval settings, and also that

riced out cars

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Been reading more of the Iceblade manga, and it really is genuinely charming. I continue to be baffled by how the same source material could end up as such a radically different (and awful) anime - it's like the manga staff had all the good ideas on how to adapt the light novel, and the anime staff had all the bad ones.

Not to say that manga authors have it easy, but as far as adaptations go they're usually under a lot less production and corporate pressure than anime from what I've seen. There's plenty of them that are very clearly colored by the author's narrative and visual style while a lot of anime stick close to their source material and its illustrations even when they can't get said illustrator on the anime or even emulate them very well.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Giant Beasts of Ars: Sucks. Ugly animation, a bad soundtrack, and writing so straightforward and tropey that I wanted to dip several times during the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Patware posted:

i will watch the first two episodes of this weird pervert anime and decide based on that if it is for the wrong type of perverts for something awful dot com

godspeed, gamer