Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Vince is back baby!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vince-mcmahon-plots-return-to-wwe-11672952709

e: Sorry for the paywall. Vince has appointed himself and two cronies to the WWE Board of Directors, which will require three existing board members to vacate. But maybe he only has the company's best interests at heart, and will keep a respectful distance from operations.

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.... VINCE MCMAHON, CHAIRMAN OF THE BOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRDDDD

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FilthyImp posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.... VINCE MCMAHON, CHAIRMAN OF THE BOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRDDDD

Paul Heyman would have introduced himself in the middle :colbert:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was surprised that he even stepped away to begin with, since being a sex pest is one of the easiest things for rich assholes to get away with consequence free.

I'd always assumed that there was more to the story, like Vince was using company money to pay the victim off. Which would open him up to retaliation from other shareholders.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought that was the exact accusation, actually.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thought that was the exact accusation, actually.

It is

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Stepped away publicly just to take the heat off and preserve the stock while negotiating a sale in the background

"You all bought it! Even my immediate family bought it!"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I know Vince is gonna Vince, but isn't forcing yourself back onto the board traditionally going to anger the rest of the board that he stole money from? Especially since the company is doing really well without him so he can't even lean on "this is the price of doing business if you want the company to make you money"

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

It probably will, but he does have a point. It's better for any sale or media deal to have the controlling shareholder on the board so they won't scuttle a potential deal.

Edit: He's back on the board officially https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/35388281/vince-mcmahon-back-wwe-ahead-media-rights-negotiations

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

vince mcmahon is fake

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is this our first confirmation that Vince planned to sell WWE? I thought people were only speculating about it before based on Vince's history of being a shithead that hates his family.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
HHH gonna get owned to the bone when this sale goes through.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The article doesn't say anything about a sale, just about negotiating tv deals

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

titties posted:

The article doesn't say anything about a sale, just about negotiating tv deals

"Exploring all strategic alternatives" is corporate speak for evaluating options for a sale.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baXOeZfFnCs

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1611421728974188544

Teehee.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

imagine being a professional sports entertainment promoter in tyool 2023

edit: imagined it. drat that'd rule. what a cool job.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
dang, sucks to be Regal.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GolfHole posted:

vince mcmahon is fake

Vince is the most fake thing about professional wrestling. WWF used to have a fictional CEO and Vince was just an announcer most people didn't know owned the company. After the Montreal Screwjob he steered into the skid and his public persona became the CEO who was an even bigger rear end in a top hat than Vince was in real life. Well, at least a different kind of rear end in a top hat. This worked really well because he got to be the center of attention and wrestle against Hogan and Austin while fans got to think about beating up their rear end in a top hat boss. Eventually he took sort of a back seat until Austin came out of retirement for one last match and Vince got jealous and decided he wanted to face Austin too, even though he's now a million years old and doesn't remember how to take a stunner anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Literally A Person posted:

HHH gonna get owned to the bone when this sale goes through.
It'll be a real interesting comparison to HHH's tenure post Vince, to be sure.

I mean, it's likely going to be a case of the new owners bringing their people in.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, it's likely going to be a case of the new owners bringing their people in.

I know WWE is in vastly better shape, but I can't help but be reminded when WCW was bought by AOL Time Warner.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

this seems like a very vince mcmahon thing to happen

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"It's me, WWE! It's been me all along!"

JR: "Son of a bitch."

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Whoever buys it please bring back the wwe network, Peacock sucks

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

AlmightyBob posted:

Whoever buys it please bring back the wwe network, Peacock sucks

At least bring back chapter stops for different fights so I don't need to fast forward through half a pay per view to find what I'm looking for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GolfHole posted:

vince mcmahon is fake

The real Vince McMahon died in 1997. This one runs on DDs

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

(As well as Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, who run the LIV Golf Tournament) The report also notes that “sources” have put forward the following as other potential buyers:

* Amazon entered the U.S. sports business in a big way with a $1 billion-a-year deal to exclusively stream the NFL’s “Thursday Night Football” through 2033.
* Comcast’s NBCUniversal Media and Fox Corp., which already boasts media rights deals for “Monday Night Raw” and “Friday Night Smackdown” respectively
* Endeavor purchased a controlling stake in the UFC for $4 billion in 2016.
* Liberty Media acquired Formula One for $4.4 billion in 2016.
* Global talent agency CAA.

https://frontofficesports.com/public-investment-fund-saudi-arabia-wwe-sale-liv-golf-vince-mcmahon/

https://itrwrestling.com/news/potential-buyer-for-wwe-emerges/

LIV Golf Tournament info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIV_Golf

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It’s been a while since I’ve done one of my wrestling deep dives, but considering current events, I thought it would be fun to talk about Rusev/Miro.

Hailing from Bulgeria, Rusev started off as a semi-unstoppable dude in NXT. He made his main roster debut at the 2014 Royal Rumble. Despite not being a HUGE dude in wrestling terms, they still treated him like a monster and it took four guys to eliminate him.

Upon becoming a regular part of the roster, Rusev was given the classic “evil foreign heel” gimmick, joined by real-life girlfriend Lana. Even though Lana had spent most of her life in America, she was born in Russia and they decided to go full Rocky IV with them, complete with Lana doing an over-the-top Russian accent. With Rusev they just shrugged and decided that Bulgeria and Russia were basically the same thing and had he and Lana constantly talk up Putin to get a reaction.

Rusev was dominant for a year, tearing through the WWE face midcard. There was a running gag among fans about how Rusev was racist because WWE would only push black wrestlers up to a point and that meant Rusev going through the midcard meant beating up mostly black dudes. Coincidentally, this push helped create New Day.

Like many rising heels, the momentum stopped with John Cena. They started feuding after Royal Rumble 2015 and while Rusev was able to cheat his way into winning Cena’s US Championship, Cena pinned him at WrestleMania 31 and won the rubber match. Rusev’s mystique was killed, he suffered a leg injury shortly after, and things were about to get worse.

Vince McMahon really, really liked Lana, but did not want her associated with Rusev. They pushed a story where Lana started dating Dolph Ziggler and they had negative chemistry together. Rusev responded by dating Summer Rae and basically making her dress and act like Lana. Due to his amazing sense of humor and charisma, Rusev was able to make this storyline almost work.

Then TMZ announced that Rusev and Lana were for real engaged. WWE killed the storyline while having Summer poo poo-talk Rusev on TV as a way to make it up to her for basically ending her push. Rusev tore his bicep shortly after, recovered, and came back as part of the League of Nations stable. Long story short, it’s considered to be one of the worst factions in wrestling history and nobody in it looked good.

After that, Rusev won the US Championship again and started feuding with Roman Reigns. In other words, he dropped that title to Roman Reigns. He started losing a lot and teamed up with future failed world champion Jinder Mahal. Rusev’s career was going nowhere, but luckily, he stumbled into something that made him one of the most popular guys on the roster.

Rusev and Lana started teaming up with Aiden English, who was Rusev’s tag partner and hype man. They started talking up Rusev Day, a holiday that happens to be every day. It was so dorky that it worked. People loved Rusev Day and would chant for it all the time. He was still a heel, but he sold a ton of merch. Not that Vince McMahon was impressed, claiming that if they were selling out of Rusev shirts, then they simply just did not make enough and that’s all there is to it.

Despite their popularity as a team, Rusev and English were split up and feuded. Rusev had nothing much going on for a while and his contract was nearing its end. Usually, this is when WWE would trick the wrestler and give them a big push to convince them that things would work out if they re-signed. WWE’s idea of a big push was... not so enticing.

See, they had Lana leave Rusev for Bobby Lashley. Vince McMahon and then-Raw writer Paul Heyman REALLY loved doing cucking storylines and since Vince straight-up could not handle that Rusev was married to somebody as beautiful as Lana, he decided to do a nonsensical feud based on Lashley and Lana loving all the time. Rusev got beaten down a lot and was regularly made to look like an idiot. There was also something in there about Lana having a lesbian affair, but that was forgotten about almost immediately.

Anyway, Rusev left WWE. Lana was still stuck on the roster. Lana spent a stretch being put through tables on a weekly basis as punishment for Rusev leaving.

So off we go to AEW. One of the stories going on was that heel Kip Sabian was engaged to Penelope Ford. Kip introduced Rusev as Miro, who was not only his best man, but he was simply The Best Man. Apparently, since Miro was big into Twitch streaming, the two were put together as a team due to their love of playing video games.

Opinions differ on how Miro was being used in the early days of his AEW run, but in the end, it was pretty cool. It became apparent in-story that Miro was not meant to be Kip’s heavy. His sadistic side started to show more and more and he would warn Kip about what would happen if Kip were to fail him. Kip gradually realized that this guy wasn't so much his peer and friend, but a violent psychopath bubbling under the surface.

Kip and Miro feuded with the Best Friends and lost in the big blow-off match, the Arcade Anarchy match, which was like a hardcore match with an arcade aesthetic. It still played Miro up as a monster, as it took a three-on-one situation to take him down, but Kip was the one who ate the pin. Miro responded to this loss by kicking the poo poo out of Kip backstage, then telling him, “I forgive you.”

Miro then became “The Redeemer” and quickly won the TNT Championship off Darby Allin. Miro had a very dominant run and called himself “God’s Favorite Champion.” We got a ton of cool matchups and after a few months, it was time for him to drop it to Sammy Guevara.

After that, Miro started to angrily question God in his promos and claimed that his hot wife would not gently caress him if he was not champion. He was hurt at the time and left TV for a while, but AEW was hit with a problem when Jon Moxley – ready to do a heel turn and challenge for the World Championship – went to rehab due to his alcoholism. Moxley was already in the middle of a #1 contenders tournament and Miro was a very last-minute replacement. Ultimately, Miro lost to Bryan Danielson, who won the tournament.

Miro had a hamstring injury that needed a lot of time to rehab. He came back, still threatening to KILL GOD, and entered a tournament to crown AEW’s inaugural All-Atlantic Championship. He lost the tournament, but got involved in a feud against Malakai Black and his House of Black stable. He worked with Darby Allin and Sting to defeat the House of Black at a PPV, but it was a rather abrupt blowoff to the whole feud.

At the time, Malakai Black’s future was in question and he was taking time off to deal with personal issues. Rumors claimed that he was leaving AEW for WWE, or at least trying to. Triple H was in the midst of turning things around in a post-Vince era and certain members of the AEW locker room were starting to think the grass was going to be greener over there. Sometime later, Malakai returned to AEW TV and made it seem like he realized that trying to go back to WWE was a bad idea.

Other than a promo after that PPV trios match, Miro simply stopped showing up on TV. All Out 2022 (early September of last year) was his last match.

Fans wondered what the deal was. He seemed like he was healthy enough. Even though Tony Khan likes to cycle out talent, Miro had been missing for a long, long time.

Recently, AEW did another #1 contender tournament for the AEW Championship. It ended with Ricky Starks having a breakout performance by defeating Ethan Page in the finals. Apparently, the original plan was for Miro to lose in the finals, but Miro was all, “Nah, that doesn’t work for me. Call me when you have better ideas.”

At the same time, Lana (who has long been let go from WWE) publicly talked poo poo about Tony Khan and discussed how much better WWE is at telling stories. It came off as a definite call for Triple H to rehire her and making it known that Rusev/Miro would like to go back to the fed.

And now Vince is back, so... good luck with that!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gavok posted:

He started losing a lot and teamed up with future failed world champion Jinder Mahal. Rusev’s career was going nowhere,
Handsome Rusev and Hardbody Mahal were insanely over at my house and probably only at my house

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheSwizzler posted:

dang, sucks to be Regal.

He got what he wanted

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vince and Trump do seem to share a fixation with cucking, incest, and Eastern European women.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puň essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

rndmnmbr posted:

I know WWE is in vastly better shape, but I can't help but be reminded when WCW was bought by AOL Time Warner.

That was always a somewhat different beast, to be fair - WCW had been one of Ted Turner's babies since he bought out Jim Crockett, and he was reasonably willing to lose money on it (although probably not the stupid amounts that WCW was pissing away in the end). The AOL / Time Warner merger, though, took it out of Turner's hands, and they just went "the gently caress is this poo poo" and sold the remaining intellectual property to WWE for pennies on the dollar because they weren't willing to guarantee a TV timeslot on TNT to get any other bidders.

WWE is a standalone business, and has no real non-wrestling assets (I'm sure the royalty rights to See No Evil must be in the dozens of dollars), so unless you're buying it purely for the streaming library there's no reason to bid for it purely to asset-strip it later.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Handsome Rusev and Hardbody Mahal were insanely over at my house and probably only at my house

My whole team at work loved them specifically because one guy on the team hated them so much lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Vince is gonna sell WWE to...

VINCE MCMAHON!!!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They say nothing is going to change with Vince back.

I laugh and say it's nice to have such an imagination that believes in a better future.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Vince is gonna sell WWE to...

VINCE MCMAHON!!!

He does like reliving his greatest hits so I wouldn't put it past him to make a big deal about selling to a mysterious buyer and then doing the deal via the JumboTitanTron and then reveal he was actually in the ring as the buyer all along.

rndmnmbr posted:

"It's me, WWE! It's been me all along!"

JR: "Son of a bitch."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

He does like reliving his greatest hits so I wouldn't put it past him to make a big deal about selling to a mysterious buyer and then doing the deal via the JumboTitanTron and then reveal he was actually in the ring as the buyer all along.

Then Shane shows up and says "The name on the contract does say 'McMahon'..."

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cat Hatter posted:

That would be incredible

Jamesman posted:

Then Shane shows up and says "The name on the contract does say 'McMahon'..."

Also this

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
First he would have some kind of sickness. He would have to sell it to pay for his boneitis treatments.

The mysterious buyer would begin communicating via letter, saying things like Steph had to go for her BETRAYALS and then force HHH to have a HeartAttack Cage Match with Shawn Michaels. Then the death report. There would be a reading of his Video Will on the titantron, with a closed casket. At some point it turns mean and then he announced he sold the WWE to--

The lights in the McMahon Dome go dark and the feed is cut.

A light shines on the casket, now open, empty.

Vince's face reappears on the screen.

"I've sold the WWE to..."

'MEEEEEEEEE!'

Fireworks as WWE Owner Vince MacMahon struts down the walk