Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Accubitus posted:

Seeing some totally relevant and useful Twitter trends for me, website is definitely working the way it's supposed to

I get daily NBA and NFL scores at the top of mine despite my region being set to UK and never having had an interest in either sport.

I can't remove them because the lovely site design means trying to click the ... at the top right clicks the banner instead. Even if I could click it, the option to hide content is broken.

edit:

page 1000

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

elon musk

lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Happy 1000th page gbs elon thread love you lots

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Fart of Presto posted:

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but Ben Daglish died in 2018 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBLHf9lgiTU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
still though, you gotta hand it to him, he's an amazing engineer

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Preoptopus posted:

I live in the colorado high rockies where they regularly close the highways during blizzards meaning traffic sits for hours on the highway until they can clear the wreck or whatever. Now it's common knowledge you don't drive on the highway here in the winter without a full tank of gas (if not with extra spare fuel). Now imagine sitting in a tesla running the heater on an ever weaker battery. I don't care what tesla says the capabilites are I would be freaking out. Still so many people have them up here.

Can you manipulate the car's screen wearing winter gloves?

I just recently drove a model 3 rental car (in warm weather) and aside from the effects of the gas pedal and the sound quality of the audio system, it was irritating af. At some point I stood outside of the car on my phone, looking up how to lock the loving doors. I had to relearn every simple and intuitive thing to which drivers have become accustomed over the last one hundred years. Autopilot is necessary because you have to concentrate on the massive iPad and go through menus if you want to crank up the volume on the stereo, manipulate the HVAC, or any number of normally simple things. Did the car have cruise control? Probably. I wasn't there for enough time to dive into the backwardsass menu system to find out. And yes, I know that the steering wheel has unlabeled, context-sensitive buttons. Also stupid. I know that I'm old, and that this is stuff to which a Tesla owner will eventually become accustomed, but it's not like I'm a luddite boomer. The whole thing was annoying and made me think of middle management making unnecessary changes because they're unaware that things are done a certain way for specific reasons, and they're determined to find out why the hardest way possible.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 6, 2023

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Here's to 1,000 more days of Elon punching himself right in the dick

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
1000 pages, two companies tanked, no lessons learned.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

goatface posted:

He's a genius, like a real life tony stark

it's all made up and fictional

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

goatface posted:

I think that one guy learned that he shouldn't have put all of his money into Tesla at like, what $100 a share more ago?

I learned something from him. I learned to laugh again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Cybrtrk looks like a rejected model for John Carpenter's Dark Star and being a Tesla it probably explodes just as well.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I never understood why Tesla didn't just contract Simone for her Truckla design and put it out as the Tesla pickup truck.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

didnt a non important tesla tool also get stuck in a parking deck, and the tow they called also got stuck for non telcom signal reasons., like isnt the solution here just to as the IT dept to get like a few hundo feet of cable and a cheap router?

I've been doing car racing and there's these racing Teslas that show up at the track regularly, and during spectator drags one of them went into fuckoff limp mode and couldn't be reset in order to unlock the wheels. This meant they had to get a flatbed to come and winch it on to drag it off the track instead of just getting the ATV or forklift to shove it out of the way like with any other car, meaning it took like half an hour instead of 30 seconds

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chainclaw posted:

I never understood why Tesla didn't just contract Simone for her Truckla design and put it out as the Tesla pickup truck.

Elon insists on doing everything his way and reinventing everything. You can't use any part of any one else's ideas without cropping the signature off first.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dear Strong Bad, how do you drive your Tesla with boxing gloves on your hands?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

I live in the colorado high rockies where they regularly close the highways during blizzards meaning traffic sits for hours on the highway until they can clear the wreck or whatever. Now it's common knowledge you don't drive on the highway here in the winter without a full tank of gas (if not with extra spare fuel). Now imagine sitting in a tesla running the heater on an ever weaker battery. I don't care what tesla says the capabilites are I would be freaking out. Still so many people have them up here.

I don’t want to sound like I’m defending Elongated Muskrat, but you’re actually much better off in any EV (even a Tesla) when stuck in a snowstorm or traffic jam … as long as you have a full battery. Largely because the usual primary concern of CO poisoning doesn’t exist. If you’re not actually driving, keeping the cabin at a reasonable temperature in cold weather does not actually drain the battery that quickly.

I tested this out recently with my Chevy Bolt on a 5F night recently — after nine hours of keeping the cabin at 65 degrees, it still had a quarter of its full charge left. (Of course, in an actual emergency situation, you’d want to run the heat only intermittently to preserve the battery charge for as long as possible.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Drone_Fragger posted:

The apple mouse was designed to be unusable while charging because Steve jobs thought a wireless mouse that could be used while charging would inevitably to the user end up as a wired mouse (because people would find it easier to never unplug it) which he specifically did not want because of aesthetics and branding.

Ah, yes, it's so much more aesthetically pleasing for it to sit there on it's back like a stranded turtle while charging.
I do acknowledge that it charges quickly enough for that to be an infrequent problem, but it's dumb. There was an aftermarket company that offered batteries, a new battery cover, and a base that made the original wireless mouse (the not-rechargeable one) able to wirelessly recharge. Just set it on the base when not using. This was before the Apple rechargeable came out, and Jobs still missed that one.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I remember when the switchover to the walled garden poo poo happened bc I actually worked for an Apple store and let me tell you. Apple users who had spent their lives modifying their own machines were just as furious that the entire brand was moving towards 'we want everyone to be able to use our stuff and we definitely don't want them trying to fix it' poo poo, such that they came out with the unibody laptops which were impossible to open. Used to be the Apple laptops would have a little flap on the bottom for the battery and RAM upgrades.

Frankly, once iPhone came out it was all over for 'Classic Apple', it became all about providing products and services to that mobile ethos. Tiny computers that people can't open became Their Thing.

Used to be Apple laptops had battery and RAM upgrades. gently caress you if you misjudged how much RAM you needed now.

Don't get me wrong - I like Macs and iPhones, just wish some decisions they made were more consumer-friendly. They do see the light occasionally - see the new (thicker!) MacBook Pros with HDMI and MagSafe returning, and the non-poo poo keyboard design.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I've been doing car racing and there's these racing Teslas that show up at the track regularly, and during spectator drags one of them went into fuckoff limp mode and couldn't be reset in order to unlock the wheels. This meant they had to get a flatbed to come and winch it on to drag it off the track instead of just getting the ATV or forklift to shove it out of the way like with any other car, meaning it took like half an hour instead of 30 seconds

I'd have just dragged it or the track with a pickup or something. Flat spotted tires? Tough poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Elon Musk has been an idiot for 1000 pages.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's a drastic underestimation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My work macbook got replaced by one of the models with a touch bar instead of function keys, and arbitrarily changing key layouts via software is a terrible design choice.

Using the old function keys to alter volume or brightness was simple via muscle memory and tactile feedback and barely broke my flow. Now I have to stop what I'm doing, look away from the screen, find the volume icon, tap and gently caress around with dragging sliders to do something that used to take a couple of keystrokes.

I hate doing that while computer touching. The idea of having to do it while driving horrifies me.

I just learned a couple of weeks ago (after getting a gently used touchbar MBP to replace my aging pre-touchbar MBP) that the touchbar can be set to *not* do the contextual thing. Mine stays set to the keys that would be there if it were a normal MBP. I still hate that you can activate them by getting near them with a finger (*especially* the Escape key....) but at least they're not moving around and changing.

The Touchbar is another place where post-Jobs Apple actually listened to user feedback and got rid of the damned thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Darchangel posted:

I'd have just dragged it or the track with a pickup or something. Flat spotted tires? Tough poo poo.

They'd have tried if it didn't have nearly infinite mass

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That’s impossible; Dave Chappelle thinks he’s cool*

* Probably mostly because he likes his opinions on transsexuality

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Elon Musk in charge of Apple would probably be very funny as long as you didn't need any Apple products in the near future.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
screens spontaneously shattering

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Darchangel posted:

I just learned a couple of weeks ago (after getting a gently used touchbar MBP to replace my aging pre-touchbar MBP) that the touchbar can be set to *not* do the contextual thing. Mine stays set to the keys that would be there if it were a normal MBP. I still hate that you can activate them by getting near them with a finger (*especially* the Escape key....) but at least they're not moving around and changing.

The Touchbar is another place where post-Jobs Apple actually listened to user feedback and got rid of the damned thing.

They didn’t so much listen to user feedback but straight up reversed a lot of the bullshit instigated by Jony Ive. It’s not coincidence that Apple products got thicker and started packing larger batteries and actual keyboards with actual travel the minute he left.

In same the same way Tesla could be so much better if they just booted out Musk and have some boring competent automobile exec take over the company.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Here's to celebrating 1000 pages of stupidity. :toot:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
apple logo sound inadvertently changed to that tone that makes people poo poo their pants

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

crispix posted:

screens spontaneously shattering

Is this normal? Anyways I still love my musky apple!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Chainclaw posted:

This is almost as ugly as the Cyber Truck tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Is this normal? Anyways I still love my musky apple!

You don't use a phone in weather, man

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jelly posted:

Yes,but it's a car that exists,built by actual engineers with some safety in mind

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Here at 1000, gently caress elon musk

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/quietcry/status/1611424094481965057

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/dancow/status/1611415183510880271?s=46&t=v0gkpd2AncmCspmBAdEgtA

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Of course idiots are letting their cars on autopilot in front of a daycare

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Jelly posted:

Yes, but it was also done by a bunch of amateurs with cheap power tools in their spare time, so it still wins over the decades of person-hours poured into the cykatruck.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I just made this image of the future of AI driving in Midjourney

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

I just made this image of the future of AI driving in Midjourney

Pretty much nailed it; futuristic, no wing mirrors, heart full of murderous rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

1000 Pages, or 10 times the value of Tesla's stock.

Unlike the stock, our number will only go up!