Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

got this for :10bux: in great condition

Walter was old enough to have actually known Mahler and iirc conducted the premieres of a few of his later symphonies so him doing Mahler is always worth hearing

it's also one of those really fancy Columbia boxes with the cardboard inner sleeve protectors which i love, I have a copy of Wozzeck with those too

I have zero shame in being somewhat jealous. Great find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

Would any Dylan aficionados in the house kindly chime in. I'm looking for a record of his which, on the back, contains a rambling screed.

Planet waves

It’s a poem, not really a screed, but pretty sure that’s what you’re thinking of. Or Highway 61.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 4, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the times they are a-changin' also has an unrelated poem on its sleeve

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was looking through the goodwill vinyl pile as I sometimes do, and I came across an album of what looked like rainforest sounds. Seemed like it might be an interesting ambiance thing maybe, and plus, I liked the cover art, which is like 90% of the reason to buy an album.

As I was waiting in line to pay, I glanced at it and saw that it was recorded in Dolby Digital, which is unheard of for a vinyl record, must be pretty new and/or special!!

Then I noticed that it appeared to be the soundtrack to an imax movie, interesting.

Then I got to my car, opened it up and realized I had just bought a LaserDisc. :owned:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's too late, now you're a laserdisc collector too.

Could be worse, I got saddled with a former clients RCA Selectavision CED collection.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The local shop is selling a combination laserdisc/DVD player from 1997 and I kind of want it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The local shop is selling a combination laserdisc/DVD player from 1997 and I kind of want it

Get it for all the best Criterion films, such as Halloween, Ghostbusters and Pulp Fiction.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Cloks posted:

Get it for all the best Criterion films, such as Halloween, Ghostbusters and Pulp Fiction.

Also the commentary tracks on the first three James Bond films.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Popping into this thread as something popped into my head a second ago; I'm not a vinyl aficionado by any means but there's something technical about the format, about which I think you cats could help give me a refresher:

The way stereo information is encoded in the groove of a record is diagonal, correct? I mean, the groove moves up and down and left and right, but the contacts inside the stylus are in an X pattern, are they not? So one diagonal axis is the L channel, and the other is R?

I was under the impression that this is how vinyl became a stereo format that still retained compatibility with mono records. Essentially the summing/difference going on inside the stylus is something akin to a Mid-Side matrix, and because of that, if you play a mono record on a stereo turntable, the information sums in a way that's not destructive.

Am I somewhere in the ballpark of right here, or have I gotten something twisted?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 5, 2023

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I have a bad premonition that Phil Collins is gonna die very soon, so I'm swooping up as many Genesis albums as I can before he croaks and the price for everything skyrockets.

Coming in the mail next week:

- Trespass (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Nursery Cryme (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Foxtrot (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Selling England By The Pound (EMI 100 Series)
- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (ATCO SD 2-401)
- Wind & Wuthering (Nippon RJ-7201)

I did that with Tim Curry's albums after I saw a photo of him from this past October. I was kinda half looking for them when I went to the used record shops so I could have the thrill of the hunt, so to speak. But after that photo I hit up Discogs for the two I needed.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://twitter.com/bellesglasgow/status/1611048503412662274

Late Developers (get it?), new album of stuff originally made for last year's album.

Edit: Street date is the 13th. No preorder pages up yet.

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 5, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

Late Developers (get it?), new album of stuff originally made for last year's album.

Thank you for this, and the heads up about the jeepster sale. Got my poo poo over the weekend!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

pwn posted:

Did this info go up too early or something? Matador website gives an error when I try finding anything about it, and the website only shows that grey fog

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Popping into this thread as something popped into my head a second ago; I'm not a vinyl aficionado by any means but there's something technical about the format, about which I think you cats could help give me a refresher:

The way stereo information is encoded in the groove of a record is diagonal, correct? I mean, the groove moves up and down and left and right, but the contacts inside the stylus are in an X pattern, are they not? So one diagonal axis is the L channel, and the other is R?

I was under the impression that this is how vinyl became a stereo format that still retained compatibility with mono records. Essentially the summing/difference going on inside the stylus is something akin to a Mid-Side matrix, and because of that, if you play a mono record on a stereo turntable, the information sums in a way that's not destructive.

Am I somewhere in the ballpark of right here, or have I gotten something twisted?

Very interesting question and I have never given much thought to this. ty

pwn
May 27, 2004

Creature posted:

Did this info go up too early or something? Matador website gives an error when I try finding anything about it, and the website only shows that grey fog

I think they're trying the whole mysterious social media thing for hype. It's cute :shobon: Apparently Record Collector magazine in the UK already reviewed the disc, according to a fan on their FB page, which is where I first got the name and street date. I did also find the empty Matador page, which popped up in Google because they probably have it ready to go live. I just hope it has one cover.

BigFactory posted:

Thank you for this, and the heads up about the jeepster sale. Got my poo poo over the weekend!

Yay! Mine came in today.

Red Sinister and a fresh Storytelling, and BBC Sessions for the second half of my buddy's Christmas gift :shepface: Eh, second Christmas!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

pwn posted:

I think they're trying the whole mysterious social media thing for hype. It's cute :shobon: Apparently Record Collector magazine in the UK already reviewed the disc, according to a fan on their FB page, which is where I first got the name and street date. I did also find the empty Matador page, which popped up in Google because they probably have it ready to go live. I just hope it has one cover.

Oh hey there

pwn
May 27, 2004

Creature posted:

Oh hey there

:holy: love a good review. Thanks!!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I didn’t love A Bit Of Previous. But that’s ok.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Highway 61 Revisited had one of those stream of consciousness LSD-rear end things which was kind of popular in rock writing at the time

I'm sorry i forgot to thank you earlier. Thank you! That was the one I was looking for.

And thank you OTHER PEOPLE for your other suggestions, be assured I found the images of those backs cover and read at least 20% of them

BigFactory posted:

I didn’t love A Bit Of Previous. But that’s ok.

I can't say that I dislike any of their albums. Some took longer than others for me to come around, but when I was ready they were waiting.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

It's too late, now you're a laserdisc collector too.

Could be worse, I got saddled with a former clients RCA Selectavision CED collection.

I kind of want a CED player after watching a really cool youtube video about them.

I bought somebody's entire laserdisc collection last year for ~$250, came with two players (although only one functioned). I have begun collecting them. I don't know why - the quality is about that of a DVD on a good day, they're stereo only, and they take up a lot of room. Oh, and some of them rot. But they're cool. I made sure to get all of the original Star Wars, the Star Trek collectors box set, and some other classics like Alien, Aliens, T2, Robocop (all the collectors box sets), plus I recently grabbed Blade Runner and Demolition Man. They're all super cheap, but I don't see the value rising like vinyl did.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

pwn posted:

I can't say that I dislike any of their albums. Some took longer than others for me to come around, but when I was ready they were waiting.

Write About Love’ is probably my least-listened to B&S album. It’s basically fine, but nothing from it ever really stood out to me. I’m glad that they at least tried something different with ‘Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance’ even if it didn’t completely work.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah, it's payday and I just ordered a bunch of records from Amazon/Target/Ebay.

And I got this beauty in today

Somehow the limited edition gold was cheaper than the standard black so I got the gold. Also I love colored vinyl.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Creature posted:

Write About Love’ is probably my least-listened to B&S album. It’s basically fine, but nothing from it ever really stood out to me. I’m glad that they at least tried something different with ‘Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance’ even if it didn’t completely work.

Give Write about Love another chance. It’s got a couple of really good Sarah songs and Calculating Bimbo is an A+.

I love girls in peacetime, too. Previous is the only one that I don’t feel like listening to much. But for the longest time I didn’t like dear catastrophe waitress so what do I know.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hit up a shop across town on lunch break today to snag this KGLW album

Flipped through the new arrivals and picked up these, too. The Mothers is an original pressing, and the record looks almost un-played.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've seen the Claypool Lennon Delirium a couple times and the star of that show is the goddamn dude dressed up like a wizard on keyboards.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Creature posted:

BigFactory posted:

Give Write about Love another chance. It’s got a couple of really good Sarah songs and Calculating Bimbo is an A+.

I love girls in peacetime, too. Previous is the only one that I don’t feel like listening to much. But for the longest time I didn’t like dear catastrophe waitress so what do I know.

Peacetime took me forever but when I cracked it it really opened up. I'll try not to prattle on, as I'm wont to do. The album has two configurations. One is the standard album, 12 tracks on cd and 2LP. The other is the deluxe expanded box, with four additional tracks and two extended cuts. I got both, but neither quite clicked.

The standard didn't do it for me, I didn't hate it but I just couldn't get in the groove. The deluxe, well, that is like 4 EPs, each structured kind of like an old school 12" single (no remixes tho). Four unique discs with their own art and name, a lead single A-side at 45 with 3 B-sides at 33. The running order is completely different as well.

(Not my photo)

An amazing concept, but again, couldn't quite "get" it, too much disc flipping and speed changing, breaking up the flow. What I needed was the deluxe program, but on a single disc.

I got the Japanese CD, which has the four bonus tracks of the deluxe vinyl, though not the extended tracks, as the running time of that disc is 79 minutes and change, bumping the ceiling of the compact disc's capacity. The Japanese CD has the same running order as the standard album, with the four extra tracks tacked on the end, as per usual. I ripped it and put them in the deluxe running order. Now on the go or in the car I can listen to it and it is a mini-revelation. As either discrete 20-ish minute chunks for short trips or continuous playback for longer drives, it's just a joy to hear. And I can enjoy playing the EPs at home a lot better now.

I failed at not prattling on. PM me if you want more info.

Write About Love is a mood, if you accept that it and Previous are pop records rather than traditional B&S fare you'll have a better time. Weirdly it came out right after my dad passed, a time I should have been happy to have a new record to comfort me, but I slept on it for nearly a decade before finally coming around.

Edit: The Deluxe edition is still readily available. Don't pay too much for it. I'm seeing it out there for under $40

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i am really bad at getting deeper into b&s, who i don't think I've heard anything i disliked from

but ironically, i guess, peacetime is probably my favorite record of theirs I've heard on a front to back played-straight-through basis

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Dear Catastrophe Waitress was my first B&S experience so will always be my favourite 💜

pwn
May 27, 2004

Creature posted:

Dear Catastrophe Waitress was my first B&S experience so will always be my favourite 💜

While I don't share the opinion I understand how some people reacted to it at the time. Going from the first six years of

to a Trevor Horn-produced album with poppy singles and everything, was no doubt a shock. I had been a fan for four years at that point and was all about DCW! And it gave us Stay Loose which is a gem. From the live album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTocth1nPIo

And from last June at the Greek. Stuart can't help himself from getting in the crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwHNW9TznI

Also I can't believe I never posted these before. Last Summer Stuart posted these, the first is an instrumental of A Politician's Silence, the second is a desk mix of Baby You're Blind, an obscure God Help the Girl single.

https://twitter.com/nee_massey/status/1542879048984141825

https://twitter.com/nee_massey/status/1547235943635116032

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
B&S are really a top 5 band of all time. Velvets, blue oyster cult, 38 special, B&S, and ofc the Beatles. They’re in good company.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kinda wish I could get into B&S, because everyone I know that likes them is downright evangelical about them. My best friend and my sisters favorite band, and yet I just can't get down with anything I've heard from them. Oh well.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I was a big B&S fan until I saw them live and met the band, band totally phoned in the performance and the singer was super rude to everyone. Stopped listening to them after that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SwimNurd posted:

I was a big B&S fan until I saw them live and met the band, band totally phoned in the performance and the singer was super rude to everyone. Stopped listening to them after that.

Are you sure you didn’t go to a Vince Neil show by accident?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I have a curse where basically the only "indie" (as in genre, not as in 'no label") I really enjoy is Fleet Foxes. :ohdear:

Unless Florence and the Machine counts, I love them as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
more fun with classical music remaining permanently cheap as hell

this entire thing including the box set of Das Rheingold was $10. Which included a Seattle Opera program from 1980 which is kind of cool.

also if you like Carmina Burana (i.e. "O Fortuna") you really should listen to Janacek/Glagolithic Mass, it's in the same vein of early modernist liturigal/choral music and also isn't composed by an actual Nazi.

really Janacek was an incredible composer who more people should know, especially if you love that early modernist period like Bartok and Stravinsky

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 7, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also putting Orff and Wagner on the right side was not intentional but is definitely appropriate

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My turntable suddenly started turning too slow, which I understand is likely a worn belt. Got a new belt and installed it and now it's going too fast. What's going on here? Busted RPM switch?

Actually I know what's going on. It's one of those cheap Crosley looking suitcase-style ones that has already outlived its normal lifespan. I'm holding out until my birthday in April before getting a good one, but is there anything that I can do with this one until then?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

My turntable suddenly started turning too slow, which I understand is likely a worn belt. Got a new belt and installed it and now it's going too fast. What's going on here? Busted RPM switch?

Actually I know what's going on. It's one of those cheap Crosley looking suitcase-style ones that has already outlived its normal lifespan. I'm holding out until my birthday in April before getting a good one, but is there anything that I can do with this one until then?

How fast is too fast? I believe most crosley mechanisms can be adjusted using pots on the motor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wa27 posted:

How fast is too fast? I believe most crosley mechanisms can be adjusted using pots on the motor.

My albums sound like chipmunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

My albums sound like chipmunks.

Ok that doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure the belt is installed correctly? Like maybe it is around the wrong part of the motor shaft. Does switching speeds to 45 speed it up even further?

Honestly it's pretty weird that a newer turntable would have belt issues to begin with, so maybe something else is a factor here.