Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just realized Codemasters took down Fuel when GFW* died, but never bothered relisting it. So it's been effectively abandoned for a decade.

*That was a dark period for pc gaming, glad it didn't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yet another driving franchise EA owns now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn't know, but it makes sense that this was made by Asobo (MS Flight Sim, Cloud Crackdown).

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Fuel was great for putting on a moody custom soundtrack and just driving around chasing tornadoes or whatnot.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What I wouldn't give for a proper FUEL upgrade. A beautiful game if not a very good driving game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

fez_machine posted:

What I wouldn't give for a proper FUEL upgrade. A beautiful game if not a very good driving game.

That game was such a strange creation. They managed to build a world that perfectly captured the feeling of total solitude through vast distance and empty space, and the simple act of driving around in it was fun, but my god did they ever lock that behind such an appallingly terrible video game, and then they wrapped the whole thing up in a claustrophobic, extremely heavy handed vignette around the screen through the whole game.

If they could re-create a world that had the same feeling of overwhelming scale and give us Free Roam mode with some better cars, a much improved physics system, and a totally open and free fast travel system, I'd buy that for sure.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 6, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not sure if there's an Astlibra thread but I got it on the sale and I tried it for an hour and it's great but I'm already stuck. I'm in the Cave of Libra and I have a red and blue orb and there's two pedestals I've found (where the orbs originally) and I feel like I've (maybe?) done every permutation of putting orbs on these two pedestals so...what am I missing? Is there another hidden pedestal/room thingy? There's the hint that the missing dad gives but I have no idea what it could be referring to.

Game good though. It feels so good to play

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Joe Man posted:

Just noticed a huge pricing error in this Civ6 bundle:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21432/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI_Anthology/

I think it was meant to be 68% off but is actually 86% off.

seems intentional to me
$30 for the game and all dlc is pretty reasonable considering the game itself is on sale for $6 and the two 'real' expansion packs that aren't just anothre playable faction are on sale for $5 each

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Artelier posted:

Not sure if there's an Astlibra thread but I got it on the sale and I tried it for an hour and it's great but I'm already stuck. I'm in the Cave of Libra and I have a red and blue orb and there's two pedestals I've found (where the orbs originally) and I feel like I've (maybe?) done every permutation of putting orbs on these two pedestals so...what am I missing? Is there another hidden pedestal/room thingy? There's the hint that the missing dad gives but I have no idea what it could be referring to.

Game good though. It feels so good to play

The description for the red one says it wants water.

Solution:
There's a pool of water in the village outside - just go back out and jump in with the red orb in your inventory and it'll be come a blue sphere.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The 7th Guest posted:

System Shock remake, in an act of playing a game of chicken, has maintained its release date of March. i'd be so, so, incredibly just unbelievably shocked if it were to get delayed again

i'd be upset but only because my birthday is in march

i'm very much enjoying Jupiter Hell and the first few runs I was thinking "getting strong DoomRL vibes from this, it's great" and then I looked up the dev and that explains that then

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

uiruki posted:

The description for the red one says it wants water.

Solution:
There's a pool of water in the village outside - just go back out and jump in with the red orb in your inventory and it'll be come a blue sphere.

Thank you so much! I spent so long in the caves thinking I missed a pool of water or something like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've been playing God of War because, well, it was a gift.
I'm not sure I really dig the combat, it just seems to give me so many options but I don't really need a single one of them. I just recently have started using this one spell that makes a bunch of wolves appear and attack the poo poo out of enemies but it completely trivializes combat, alongside all of the runes I've got equipped.

There is something about the game that makes me scratch my head - if you try to do something you don't have the item for, your son immediately shouts "I GUESS YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT ITEM FOR THAT" and thinking back, I've noticed in a lot of streamers that they tend to bash their heads against the wall trying to do something that's clearly impossible at the current stage of the game. So I was wondering how long does it take for you guys to figure you aren't the correct level/lacking the right key/item before moving on from a puzzle? This whole son tells you to come back later with upgrades mechanic feels like that one "maze" they removed from Half-Life 2 because of that one smoothbrained playtester.

I enjoyed GoW quite a bit but yeah, they are designing these games with the stupidest people on the planet in mind

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1406686258198417421?t=d4lj74YETE1toZT1cNC_xg&s=19

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've been playing God of War because, well, it was a gift.
I'm not sure I really dig the combat, it just seems to give me so many options but I don't really need a single one of them. I just recently have started using this one spell that makes a bunch of wolves appear and attack the poo poo out of enemies but it completely trivializes combat, alongside all of the runes I've got equipped.

There is something about the game that makes me scratch my head - if you try to do something you don't have the item for, your son immediately shouts "I GUESS YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT ITEM FOR THAT" and thinking back, I've noticed in a lot of streamers that they tend to bash their heads against the wall trying to do something that's clearly impossible at the current stage of the game. So I was wondering how long does it take for you guys to figure you aren't the correct level/lacking the right key/item before moving on from a puzzle? This whole son tells you to come back later with upgrades mechanic feels like that one "maze" they removed from Half-Life 2 because of that one smoothbrained playtester.

To your first paragraph, I also noticed that there are a lot of "redundant" attacks in the GoW games. But personally I think that's great, and even preferable to the alternative.

It's a brawler, not a puzzle game. Combat is this game's vehicle for player expression. If there was only ever one single correct move for a given situation, it would be an entirely different game. Because you have so many equally potent options, instead of thinking when you look out at a field of enemies "what's the correct way to solve this problem?" you think "how kickass can I make this look?" which I think makes for a better brawler.

As for your thoughts about the puzzle elements of GoW, it has occurred to me that maybe it's not that the developers are designing games for dumber players, but instead are adapting solutions for the metroidvania aspects of their game in a modern context. If anything, Atreus' commentary about not having the right item isn't so much "idiot proofing" as it is the best way to convey to the player that even though this Weird Thing is unresponsive now, it is in fact important for later, unlike all the other equally interesting looking things in the world which are just background clutter.

A "problem" with modern metroidvanias is modern graphics. In the old days of NES or SNES games, you could just endlessly tile a game with the same tile stamp the player knew symbolized "floor" or "wall" and nothing else, right up until it was time for the Item Required Element tiles which telegraphed to the player that this place in the game was interactable. The problem with modern games with modern graphics is that everything looks unique. Interactable elements no longer have the inherent telegraphing needed to convey importance to the player because the non-interactable environmental novelty around the interactable elements has risen to parity with them. "This cool looking door doesn't work and doesn't lead anywhere because it's just for world building, but that cool looking door is very important" etc.

So in GoW, Atreus' nagging isn't so much about assisting with problem solving as it is about getting the player to make a mental note of something's importance for later despite not really looking noteworthy at the time.

When Atreus does nag you with hints in the middle of actual puzzles though, that's different. And annoying, yeah.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 6, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just don’t understand the point of adding puzzles at all if you’re going to give the solution 30 seconds into it. It doesn’t make me feel smart to follow instructions directly and the puzzles usually aren’t even difficult enough to need hints in the first place so that adds to the annoyance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr E posted:

I just don’t understand the point of adding puzzles at all if you’re going to give the solution 30 seconds into it. It doesn’t make me feel smart to follow instructions directly and the puzzles usually aren’t even difficult enough to need hints in the first place so that adds to the annoyance.

it’s to keep the player in a stupor by always having some low-level task to hold their attention while the characters chatter on. making the puzzle actually difficult might have them stop to think about it, which would ruin that all important “frictionless” experience

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It sucks cause I enjoyed 2018 GOW pretty well but it seems like they've gone even further with the "hints" in Ragnarok. They did the same thing from what I've seen with the second Horizon game too, and the first game already had Aloy talking to herself way too much tho I enjoyed the story and gameplay more than GOW.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr E posted:

When genuine satisfaction is in short supply a savvy dev can put in mild annoyances that make you glad that they are over.

Need to spice up a loot chest but don't want to make the contents worth much? Just put some bullshit symbol-hitting puzzle on the wall and the player will be glad to open it to get the five gold coins and a chicken bone that are within because it means they can move on. Because you're not going to just walk past, are you?

I dont mind the combat in GoW but it does commit a major sin where 95% of the puzzles just involve looking for stuff in the environment rather than actual puzzles.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's not just puzzles either. When you are fighting bosses and stuff your companions are constantly telling you to parry attacks and telling you you are on fire and stuff. The backseating is out of control.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
its because you are playing games designed very literally for stupid people. my advice would be to play better games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
anyone notice in sesame street the characters KLEEP repeating the alphabet? who are they making this for anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah, GoW is designed for stupid people. I prefer smart games, like one I found where you stare at a blank wall for three hours and if your computer webcam detects you looking away it charges three thousand dollars to your PayPal as a penalty for not appreciating art.

VVV That would make for the greatest Speedrun.com leaderboard in history.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 6, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can speedrun that in under a minute. At great cost.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't like gow, but that doesn't make me smart. i'm dumb as poo poo and also bad at video games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, GoW is designed for stupid people. I prefer smart games, like one I found where you stare at a blank wall for three hours and if your computer webcam detects you looking away it charges three thousand dollars to your PayPal as a penalty for not appreciating art.

it is yeah

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't like gow, but that doesn't make me smart. i'm dumb as poo poo and also bad at video games.

"not liking gow doesn't make you smart" and "gow is literally designed for very stupid people" are not mutually exclusive statements

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its ok to play games that don't make you think very hard

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Always love when video game protagonists find a giant treasure chest filled with poo poo and there is exactly 1 (one) particular item in the chest that they grab and stuff inside their clothes, ignoring everything else.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErrEff posted:

Always love when video game protagonists find a giant treasure chest filled with poo poo and there is exactly 1 (one) particular item in the chest that they grab and stuff inside their clothes, ignoring everything else.
That's just the rule. One per person.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its ok to play games that don't make you think very hard

again, not related to "someone just posted video evidence of sony specifically explaining how they designed god of war using darksydephil as an example of their desired player demographic"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

These games being designed for people that either can't or don't want to critically think ever at all does make it very easy to continue to never want to buy a PS5, if I want to play Demon's Souls at this point I think I'd just lean emulating it.

I tried this week getting back into Nioh 2 but I was in the middle of the first DLC and was super rusty so I decided to just start over again. Went with dual swords and spear for now since I haven't used either before and they both feel great. Excited for their new game too, it's nice to have a company making Souls like games that are actually fun to me, since I bounced of both Surge games and Code Vein pretty hard. The different weapon trees, magic/ninja trees, and Ninja Gaiden type combat at certain points helps it feel like something new instead of just copying DkS. The amount of loot that drops gets a little crazy but it's easy to sell or break down weapons and you can turn on a loot filter as you get better stuff so it's not terrible.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Elden ring would be better if it had detective vision and ranni following you around telling you to check your focus

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphex- posted:

Elden ring would be better if it had detective vision and ranni following you around telling you to check your focus

Unironically.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone else posted it somewhere around when elden ring came out so i can't take credit for it but most triple a developers are absolutely terrified that the player might miss out on any single second of content they spent all this money creating and from software is absolutely and unabashedly unafraid to let players miss content.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

I enjoyed GoW quite a bit but yeah, they are designing these games with the stupidest people on the planet in mind

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1406686258198417421?t=d4lj74YETE1toZT1cNC_xg&s=19

Lmao

My favorite instance of this will always be Valve's testers and the one guy who got trapped and frustrated in the original Antlion maze in HL2: Episode 2 because it just never occurred to the guy to turn right, even a single time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 6, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

someone else posted it somewhere around when elden ring came out so i can't take credit for it but most triple a developers are absolutely terrified that the player might miss out on any single second of content they spent all this money creating and from software is absolutely and unabashedly unafraid to let players miss content.
i mentioned this but it was also brought up in a game makers toolkit video i think. basically publishers are seeing the low achievement rates on content including the campaign-related achievements and they're unhappy about it. so games are getting streamlined in a funnely way to make sure players see as much of the content as possible. any friction must be eliminated

i wouldn't be surprised if the next GOW doesn't even have side content. i think the era of every AAA game being an "open world with tower that reveals 200 chores around you" experience is nearing an end. there will still be a few but. i would expect ragnarok to be a blueprint for how AAA publishers go forward

every media industry seems obsessed with analyticing their respective fields to death

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think a lot of psychos hounded him off the internet for it which was bad but that guy who spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to dash jump over that block in the cuphead tutorial amazes me to this day

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Its ok if more video games become bad because then I wont feel compelled to add them to my backlog

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Cowcaster posted:

i think a lot of psychos hounded him off the internet for it which was bad but that guy who spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to dash jump over that block in the cuphead tutorial amazes me to this day

they didnt, and that same guy went on to boost for crypto and saudi arabia so dont feel too bad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

don't worry he came back and wrote apologia for the saudi crown prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!