Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Next GoW will just have quick time events and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

they didnt, and that same guy went on to boost for crypto and saudi arabia so dont feel too bad

The 7th Guest posted:

don't worry he came back and wrote apologia for the saudi crown prince
lol nevermind then gently caress that guy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:wow:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it turns out the only thing harder than cuphead is not keeping your loving mouth shut

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

must be hard to square that circle of pretending that "games journalism" is real journalism while supporting a country's journalist dismembering policies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I didn't realize this was the same guy

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm glad Saudi Arabia is investing in publishers like Embracer that's buying up everything, it's good for gaming. Human rights... eh, secondary concern.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 7th Guest posted:

i mentioned this but it was also brought up in a game makers toolkit video i think. basically publishers are seeing the low achievement rates on content including the campaign-related achievements and they're unhappy about it. so games are getting streamlined in a funnely way to make sure players see as much of the content as possible. any friction must be eliminated

i wouldn't be surprised if the next GOW doesn't even have side content. i think the era of every AAA game being an "open world with tower that reveals 200 chores around you" experience is nearing an end. there will still be a few but. i would expect ragnarok to be a blueprint for how AAA publishers go forward

every media industry seems obsessed with analyticing their respective fields to death

Being smart with analytics requires you to hire people who actually know how to use them. It's much cheaper to make number go up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought he couldn't top posting "Activision's real problem is they're losing the PR war" but he found a way

Also in the middle of Quantic Dream fighting a union-led lawsuit against widespread sexual and racial harassment he published an article that was basically a puff piece for David Cage lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Cowcaster posted:

someone else posted it somewhere around when elden ring came out so i can't take credit for it but most triple a developers are absolutely terrified that the player might miss out on any single second of content they spent all this money creating and from software is absolutely and unabashedly unafraid to let players miss content.

hthis is also why ubisoft + horizon devs at elden ring launch were extremely upset by it reviewing and selling well because it had "terrible ux"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh so you guys are anti-games hardliners now huh just because one little guy got somewhat dismembered

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought he couldn't top posting "Activision's real problem is they're losing the PR war" but he found a way

its incredible how every word he writes is completely insane

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i can't believe i spent all this time feeling sorry for the guy thinking he got tarred and feathered into oblivion and was never heard from again

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
"all these red dots are where game journalists spent the most time on, so we need more tutorial prompts in the other parts"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is there a nobel prize for trolling?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

hthis is also why ubisoft + horizon devs at elden ring launch were extremely upset by it reviewing and selling well because it had "terrible ux"

i'm trying to come up with a pithy analogy but the best i can come up with at the moment is a child lock salesman getting upset at customers that like to use their cabinets without them

i didn't sleep so well and i skipped my coffee this morning sorry guys

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
direct proven correlation: the fewer metal slug games you've beaten the more you love authoritarianism

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If making games for people like DarkSydePhil results in more games like God of War 2018 then its time for me to help out. Going to point a camera at a computer monitor, buy a lovely webcam, and jerk off on stream a couple times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would argue that we need more God of War-style games

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Relax Or DIE posted:

direct proven correlation: the fewer metal slug games you've beaten the more you love authoritarianism

was that double x one they put out a few years back any good? i feel like snk was running on fumes by the time they put out 6 and then i think they went bankrupt eight or nine times

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dang i just remembered i picked up a copy of metal slug 7 for the ds back when that was a thing and then literally never played it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh my god they're the same game

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I thought all Metal Slugs were technically the same game (never played one, I'm too much of an anarchist).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relax Or DIE posted:

the only metal slug game ive beaten is the android port of metal slug 3 which was included in a 2015 humble bundle and gave you infinite free respawns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

zoux posted:

I would argue that we need more God of War-style games

they killed mo- i mean faye!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

weird as hell that the wii had a compilation of all the metal slug games in existence 15 years ago and yet you can only get some of them on steam. those "some of them" excludes all the bad ones, but still

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Cowcaster posted:

was that double x one they put out a few years back any good? i feel like snk was running on fumes by the time they put out 6 and then i think they went bankrupt eight or nine times

gonna be honest 99% of my metal slug time is with the first 3 so I barely remember 7/X

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Relax Or DIE posted:

gonna be honest 99% of my metal slug time is with the first 3 so I barely remember 7/X

totally fair, the only reason i even know 4 through 6 exist is because of that wii compilation

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Metal Slug is cozy. If you've played one game, you've played them all. Except for those weird offshoot ones but they don't count.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man i'd kill and eat a person for a new well-funded competently-produced metal slug game. and no, "metal slug tactics" doesn't count.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This made me recall they announced Metal Slug Tactics and check on it, and I think up until the point right now where the store page calls it a roguelike I expected this was going to be like... an actual strategy RPG with a campaign, not randomized maps? And that's killed a lot of my interest, so that's cool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It worked for Into the Breach :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

It worked for Into the Breach :shrug:

yeah, it was announced way back when into the breach was super hot and i'm nearly 100% certain knocking it off is what they were going for explicitly

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Wait is that not what Into the Breach is either? I haven't played that but I thought that was also sets of crafted levels chained together based on people around me discussing strategy and play

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

secretly best girl posted:

Wait is that not what Into the Breach is either? I haven't played that but I thought that was also sets of crafted levels chained together based on people around me discussing strategy and play

No, ITB is random levels, enemies, and objectives each run. It really does seem like this Metal Slug Tactics is trying to crib quite a bit from it because it looks pretty identical in a lot of ways.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

secretly best girl posted:

into the breach is randomly generated
it's also way more puzzley than tactics-ey, a lot of the time you are basically trying to figure out "what is the best set of actions this turn to avoid taking any hits"

through the power of time travel BS you can perfectly see which actions the bug army is gonna take 1 turn before they do them so it's mostly about figuring out how to perfectly counter everything each turn (and if you're good, prep for 2-3 turns in the future too)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well I'll be damned. That explains MST and also leaves me wondering how the hell I picked this impression up for so long without ever managing to learn otherwise.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's a campaign in the sense that a "run" is multiple linked missions, like FTL by the same guys if you've ever played that

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just find itb too frustrating for some reason even though I'm not sure it's actually more frustrating than ftl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be fair, ITB is randomized but not procgen. You'll see the same maps/mission types all the time, you're just not gonna see all of them in a single run or in the same exact order every time. Otherwise it's just the details that vary a bit.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 6, 2023