Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rental Sting posted:

I'm a sucker for anything set in that era of Hollywood/US history, so I really enjoyed Babylon, flawed as it is. I thought the movie had plenty of situational hilarity, intentional or not, in its many bizarre, over-the-top setpieces, but I can't really recall any funny lines or much of the dialogue, in general. I do remember Robbie declaring that she hated toppings on ice cream because I disagree so much. Her character was like 40% too much.

I actually think the over the top set pieces were the movie's strength, but every other scene could have been cut in half or removed entirely and you'd have a better movie that is closer to two hours instead of over three

Kinda reminds me of RRR in that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, some of it was very interesting. You had the ostensibly "green" Dem politician completely in the pocket of the billionaire, but they made her...a beige soccer mom? The MRA guy getting bossed around by his oh-so-smart mother that he lived with...what? I assume Kate Hudson's character was some kind of riff on Gina Carano, but Carano is not working the capitalist hustle last I checked, that's more of a Reese Witherspoon thing, so again it just doesn't map cleanly. Not that it has to, but they're muddling the message. It would be a lot better if they showed that these actor-capitalists are actually quite shrewd about using their celebrity geniality to cover their exploitation, rather than portraying it as simple cluelessness.

Plus all of these characters were close friends and regulars at a dive bar ten years ago before they made it big? Pure fantasy. I didn't hate the movie, though. Some of the plotting was clever and I thought Daniel Craig and Janelle Monae were good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

ok starting White Noise. ugh I didn't realize it was adam driver. he's starting to turn into an unfunny Steve Coogan. just give me the coogs. give the people what they want
Adam Driver as a lead guy never really spoke to me but it clearly speaks to a lot of people. I'm not really into Star Wars, that Jarmusch film he did was fine. My favorite role of his is still Inside Llewyn Davis.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

he was way too believable as a creepazoid in Girls and never washed that stink off him in my eyes. something like that anyway. I dont get it either

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Adam Driver as a lead guy never really spoke to me but it clearly speaks to a lot of people. I'm not really into Star Wars, that Jarmusch film he did was fine. My favorite role of his is still Inside Llewyn Davis.

Uh OH

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

OUTER. SPACE.

I want a whole movie about his character

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just finished The Banshees of Inisherin. I looked up the director and I've loved everything they've done, so makes sense I'd love this one too. Might be my favorite movie of 2022.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

if the point of the menu isn't "rich people bad" and is simply "haute cuisine chef is KUH-RAZY huh?" that somehow makes it even worse

i did laugh at tyler's bullshit but nothing else in the movie was funny or shocking or anything else all the letterboxd reviews praised it for being. i read some reviews saying it was terrifying and claustrophobic? how the gently caress? RF's character even says "you could have tried harder to leave" which i guess can be interesting commentary for why i didn't just stop watching the movie if i was having such a bad time with it. am i just as bad as the characters in the film? MAYBE!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You're worse because I don't have to read their posts

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I found The Menu fun and funny, but comparisons to Midsommar etc. are really surprising to me. I ended up being really shocked at how little tension there actually was in the situation, and then the movie almost calls that out explcitly when Chef asks them all to consider why they never even tried to escape. And then other than Margot/Erin, they end up just meekly accepting their fate by the end. I think it's more of a parody of horror; if I absolutely needed it to actually be thrilling, "claustrophobic" or tense or whatever, I would have been very disappointed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

if the point of the menu isn't "rich people bad" and is simply "haute cuisine chef is KUH-RAZY huh?" that somehow makes it even worse

The film was just a metaphor for the crass commercializing of art and the casualties of same hth

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Wolfsheim posted:

You're worse because I don't have to read their posts

put me on ignore dummy

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
You don't have to like The Menu but the bread course was one of the funniest satirical things I've seen in a long time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm hoping Babylon is like that one scene in "The Aviator" (2004), but a whole movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

I found The Menu fun and funny, but comparisons to Midsommar etc. are really surprising to me. I ended up being really shocked at how little tension there actually was in the situation, and then the movie almost calls that out explcitly when Chef asks them all to consider why they never even tried to escape. And then other than Margot/Erin, they end up just meekly accepting their fate by the end.

I mean, there's a structural parallel even if there are a lot of differences- it's one of those situations where basically everyone is doomed early on and we watch it play out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm hoping Babylon is like that one scene in "The Aviator" (2004), but a whole movie

Babylon has one legitimately great scene, where Robbie's character and the crew are trying to shoot a talkie for the first time, and it's this brutal, intense thing that really uses sound and editing and pacing well.

Like there are some really good parts but it REALLY goes downhill near the end, and the finale is ludicrously drawn out.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i likea da menu movie. made me hungry

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rental Sting posted:

Robbie was like 40% too much.

I feel like this is every character Margot robbie plays

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

it kinda works tho

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

MISTAH JAY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My friend keeps urging me to see Babylon in theater while I still can, says it's crass, stupid, and bizarrely entertaining
I'm a lil worried but I'm sure it's better than Amsterdam

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

MISTAH JAY

No one in Hollywood history has ever so perfectly encapsulated a character

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, some of it was very interesting. You had the ostensibly "green" Dem politician completely in the pocket of the billionaire, but they made her...a beige soccer mom? The MRA guy getting bossed around by his oh-so-smart mother that he lived with...what? I assume Kate Hudson's character was some kind of riff on Gina Carano, but Carano is not working the capitalist hustle last I checked, that's more of a Reese Witherspoon thing, so again it just doesn't map cleanly. Not that it has to, but they're muddling the message. It would be a lot better if they showed that these actor-capitalists are actually quite shrewd about using their celebrity geniality to cover their exploitation, rather than portraying it as simple cluelessness.

Yeah, Kate Hudson's character in real life would have some internalized reason to be onboard with exploitative labor—"oh, we're providing opportunity," or whatever—not too stupid to understand what a "sweatshop" is. A real life Duke is Andrew Tate, who isn't a dim-bulb who lives with his mother, but instead got arrested for sex trafficking in Romania. It's like the movie thinks that being stupid—by which it means inarticulate and verbally inept—is the biggest crime possible.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I kind of gave up on Glass Onion because the movie wants you to think that incredibly stable hydrogen crystals that you can hold in the palm of your hand with enough energy density to propel a space shuttle is just like.... dumb?

That is a literal world saving technological breakthrough. Andi is clearly against the launch because she's a fossil fuel industry mole and therefore deserved what she got.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's a very nice idea.

Just like instant painless blood tests.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a very nice idea.

Just like instant painless blood tests.

I mean, the movie shows it working. The dumbest part of its implementation is that it's apparently being used like natural gas lamps in 19th century London or Baltimore. I guess I was meant to realize all these lights aren't electric, but hydrogen lamps? Like Norton's character isn't just using these crystals to generate electricity, but burning the crystals themselves for light? Very confused script that needed anyone with any knowledge of science to read it over.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

I kind of gave up on Glass Onion because the movie wants you to think that incredibly stable hydrogen crystals that you can hold in the palm of your hand with enough energy density to propel a space shuttle is just like.... dumb?

That is a literal world saving technological breakthrough. Andi is clearly against the launch because she's a fossil fuel industry mole and therefore deserved what she got.

Its magic gas you nerd

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Its magic gas you nerd

I mean, exactly my point. The script left the realm of the possible anyways so why not make the technology that Norton is bringing to market actually bad?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You guys who think politicians have to answer for stuff are just adorable

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The same derail kept happening in the Glass Onion thread. The science fiction super fuel mcguffin is a weirdly distracting mcguffin. Probably cuz it feels so out of place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it makes no sense why it’s a big deal and the ending makes no sense because of that but whatever

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wolfsheim posted:

Its magic gas you nerd

So is a fireball in D&D but that implies an actual wizard exists. Glass Onion isn't the first movie to weaken the message by overexplaining something the writers didn't seem to understand, but it's also not really the point of the movie so who cares.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
All you need to take from the macguffin is that the energy does work and is revolutionary but isn’t YET safe. And Norton wants to go forward with it despite it not being fully realized.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Its magic gas you nerd

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ummm excuse me mr. norton your Tyler Durden persona (as laughable as this take on a split personality is according to the DSM-IV) skipped several crucial steps in bomb making rendering the payload inert, and furthermore the credit card companies would still keep records stored in a decentralized location so blowing them up wouldn't *starts making GBS threads and vomiting simultaneously*

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Watched the first two episodes of 1899 last night. I'm pretty sure I already figured it out:

The Prometheus was sucked to the bottom of the ocean by a much more technologically advanced civilization (hence the CRT monitors spying on everyone at the end). That's why it looks like it aged like 50 freaking years -- it got sucked to the bottom for a period of time and the passengers were abducted, so it hosed up the ship really good and there were barnacles all throughout the interior. The mystery stranger comes from the civilization at the bottom. They need slaves to keep their society in the black or some poo poo.

I haven't read any spoilers or anything, so I'm curious to see how close I am after watching the finale. Can't believe it wasn't renewed. It's a great show so far.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Watched the first two episodes of 1899 last night. I'm pretty sure I already figured it out:

The Prometheus was sucked to the bottom of the ocean by a much more technologically advanced civilization (hence the CRT monitors spying on everyone at the end). That's why it looks like it aged like 50 freaking years -- it got sucked to the bottom for a period of time and the passengers were abducted, so it hosed up the ship really good and there were barnacles all throughout the interior. The mystery stranger comes from the civilization at the bottom. They need slaves to keep their society in the black or some poo poo.

I haven't read any spoilers or anything, so I'm curious to see how close I am after watching the finale. Can't believe it wasn't renewed. It's a great show so far.
lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

How I wish you were correct. Looking forward to your final post about it. :D

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Watched The Rig on Amazon. I think it probably would've worked better as a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Watched The Rig on Amazon. I think it probably would've worked better as a movie.

I started watching it last night too. Good cast but big “broadcast TV series” vibes