Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MonkeyforaHead posted:

...I've never used AliExpress before, how wary should one be of sellers on the platform? Because this listing just appeared from thin air, with hundreds of units to offload at about half the normal retail price in a marketplace absolutely lousy with people scalping at double price, and the seller account is some real fishy-looking nonsense with zero feedback so far.

Also what's the least horrible shipping service to go with, Fedex, UPS, or one of the weird ones all the way from China?

Don't buy from the cheapest price on aliexpress. Buy from the highest volume seller. You may be paying a couple dollars more after shipping but you don't need to deal with the hassle of going through the procedure to get money back.

Edit: speaking as a long time ali buyer. I can't speak for the Miyoo

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

...I've never used AliExpress before, how wary should one be of sellers on the platform? Because this listing just appeared from thin air, with hundreds of units to offload at about half the normal retail price in a marketplace absolutely lousy with people scalping at double price, and the seller account is some real fishy-looking nonsense with zero feedback so far.

Also what's the least horrible shipping service to go with, Fedex, UPS, or one of the weird ones all the way from China?

4PX is reliable but slow, they basically just get it to your country and will toss it to whatever courier they're partnered with there to finish the job. As a general rule don't buy from third party Ali sellers if you can find it from the official store, Miyoo's gets buried in the scam listings a lot but is here when they put a batch up for order.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Don't buy from the cheapest price on aliexpress. Buy from the highest volume seller. You may be paying a couple dollars more after shipping but you don't need to deal with the hassle of going through the procedure to get money back.

This is good advice too, Ali shows you how many orders have been shipped from a store. So if a store has shipped a few hundred minis and has a decent feedback rating you're probably alright. Though to be honest getting a Miyoo Mini has become such a pain I'd probably recommend people to look at the 35XX at this point, not least because it's probably going to be more comfortable to play with.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 4, 2023

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Don't buy a Miyoo Mini from anywhere other than the official store these days, they're in extremely high demand and are released in small batches so anyone else claiming to have a ton selling them for cheap is just a scam.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Wow, while refreshing about once a minute approaching the time they apparently do their restocks I was able to catch the Miyoo Mini product page as it listed 1 left in stock. Wasn't able to complete the transaction before that was no longer the case, of course. poo poo's unreal.

e: Apparently there were 400 units. Now I think I have some idea what it was like to try and get a PS5.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 4, 2023

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The Miyoo is impossible to get unless you're botting, the 35XX is only just getting CFW to make it passable and it remains to be seen if it'll ever support fancier stuff like Portmaster, the 353V is expensive enough that it'd be better to just spring for the 353M, the 353M is probably my ideal device but impossible to get to Canada without paying $300 for a $200 device, and the RP3+ while great for emulator use and buyable from reputable storefronts for its actual intended price, is basically a beefed up smartphone that loses the Linux support and feasible pocketability.

Maybe next year.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The Miyoo is impossible to get unless you're botting, the 35XX is only just getting CFW to make it passable and it remains to be seen if it'll ever support fancier stuff like Portmaster, the 353V is expensive enough that it'd be better to just spring for the 353M, the 353M is probably my ideal device but impossible to get to Canada without paying $300 for a $200 device, and the RP3+ while great for emulator use and buyable from reputable storefronts for its actual intended price, is basically a beefed up smartphone that loses the Linux support and feasible pocketability.

Maybe next year.

I think the 35XX will turn out fine, only took a couple weeks for GarlicOS to be churned out at a high enough quality level that RGC already has a setup guide for it, I imagine in a few months it'll be even better

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It'd be nice if occasionally a device came out that didn't need a dozen tweaks or an entire custom firmware to be good.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
pulled the trigger on the cl..blue (i want to be cool like clurple..) rp3+. it was out of stock the other day and is now "pre-order". hope it doesn't take too long to get here :ohdear:

first retro handheld ive had since the GP2X Wiz!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nvm. Must be best to buy a Deck if looking to step up from the RP3+ tier

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 5, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

cmdrk posted:

pulled the trigger on the cl..blue (i want to be cool like clurple..) rp3+. it was out of stock the other day and is now "pre-order". hope it doesn't take too long to get here :ohdear:

first retro handheld ive had since the GP2X Wiz!

Hey man, the color you pick doesn’t matter as long as it’s clear :cool:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Looks like AetherSX2 development has stopped because people wouldn't stop harassing the solo dev for help/ios builds (???)/death threats

That blows, poor dude

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

could we chill out on the death threats 2023? They don't even count until you send them fish, anyway.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Looks like AetherSX2 development has stopped because people wouldn't stop harassing the solo dev for help/ios builds (???)/death threats

That blows, poor dude

yeah this really sucks, hopefully he can find someone to take over if that's what he wants or opensource it, would be a shame for such a great project to die because people are shitters

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think more likely it’s just gonna die, PCSX2 is what most people look to as the big PS2 emulator. Regardless of how much better Aether was, especially on weaker hardware.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Finally found some 353M's for their intended price on Anbernic's AliExpress storefront, and the transaction is refusing every payment method I can possibly throw at it with a generic error code that claims it's on my bank's end, while according to them the transaction isn't even getting as far as pinging my bank to attempt the withdrawal. :shepspends: Found several reddit threads with people with the same issue who either solved it by removing and re-adding their payment method (nope), or by disabling adblockers (also nope), or otherwise never finding a solution.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

njsykora posted:

I think more likely it’s just gonna die, PCSX2 is what most people look to as the big PS2 emulator. Regardless of how much better Aether was, especially on weaker hardware.

AetherSX2 was basically an Android fork of PCSX2. As long as Android emulation is a thing, and as long as there's no official Android version of PCSX2, AetherSX2 will continue to be a thing people want.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
well there's daemon, if you like shady scams and stolen assets lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's most Android apps so probably.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't understand why is no coder who start a patreon project that dedicated to android port of PS2 emulation. Isn't it obviously the most wanted emulation option since PS2 was the best system and android is the most popular OS?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't understand why is no coder who start a patreon project that dedicated to android port of PS2 emulation. Isn't it obviously the most wanted emulation option since PS2 was the best system and android is the most popular OS?

Probably all the death threats and stuff

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok well I’m gonna do death threats at everyone who’s not making PS2 emulators

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The backbone controller for Android is finally out, years after the iPhone version, for all those looking to turn their phone into a third party portable retro console

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiLwMSNGEUQ

Another 2022 retro console roundup, this one taking into account the Steam Deck and the very much non-third party Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRNZhdTuWQw

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is not a commercial market and thus does not respond to commercial pressures. It is an idiosyncratic hobbyist market.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 6, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Probably all the death threats and stuff

Just start a 2nd patreon and hire an iOS guy to port it. I am sure you can afford quality anonymity if you spend some patreon money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
With the EU forcing third party app store changes, I wonder if there’s hope of these emulators coming to iOS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

With the EU forcing third party app store changes, I wonder if there’s hope of these emulators coming to iOS.

That would be nice

https://youtu.be/IjTUQHwftgs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Well at least one Loki has been made.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1611456389175705600

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Retroid clam incoming

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Where's that from because it looks like the most obvious fake 2DS knockoff I've ever seen.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Most fake pawkiddy ripoff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Looks bad. Grow some balls and give me a second screen so I can finally emulate DS games properly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

Where's that from because it looks like the most obvious fake 2DS knockoff I've ever seen.

Based on the picture it’s real because it’s coming out on the 51th of 2022, which is next month I think.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Rolo posted:

the 51th of 2022, which is next month I think.

:thunk:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol this was supposed to ship in December

Yes I ordered one.

Why? I don’t know. Looks nifty though!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok mister I’m-awesome-at-calendars.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MarcusSA posted:

lol this was supposed to ship in December

Yes I ordered one.

Why? I don’t know. Looks nifty though!

Ayn's hardware is drat nice and I appreciate how easy they are to reach and how transparent they can be, but they couldn't give an accurate timetable if they had a crystal ball, three precogs and a ledger from one year in their own company's future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

On the plus side, at least they do deliver the devices they promise. Even if it's over a year late in some cases.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Odin is really really nice

I’m very happy with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Retroid is sending me a replacement controller board for my broken shoulder button. The customer service experience was funny, they asked me to do a tear down and take photos of the damage which I can’t imagine most people would be comfortable doing.

You can see it looks buckled compared to the other buttons.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

MarcusSA posted:

The Odin is really really nice

I’m very happy with it.

sethsez posted:

Ayn's hardware is drat nice and I appreciate how easy they are to reach and how transparent they can be, but they couldn't give an accurate timetable if they had a crystal ball, three precogs and a ledger from one year in their own company's future.

I love my Odin to death, but yeah, it was certainly a wait for it and while that wait was ultimately worth it, I can see why such a protracted timetable gives people pause. That said, I like the way the Loki looks, and if I had the money, I'd probably pick one up at some point down the line.

However, there is no clurple option for it, and therefore it is actually garbage trash that no one should want. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Interesting that the new Loki pics look different to how it originally launched, where the images showed it looking identical to an Odin. It looks a lot chunkier now. I’m really happy with my Odin so didn’t pay too much attention, maybe the preorders noted that it wasn’t a final design?