Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Scientastic posted:

Wait wait wait, the FSD thing is a subscription service? Who in the world would pay for that on top of hugely overpaying for the car itself?

It's both, you can pay the fantastically overpriced $15k once off for an imaginary thing that will never work and they might remove if you transfer ownership of the car, or you can pay $200 a month just to have it in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's even funnier than that: many people paid the $15,000 as far back as like 2016 and then learned their car doesn't have the hardware for FSD

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

smoobles posted:

It's even funnier than that: many people paid the $15,000 as far back as like 2016 and then learned their car doesn't have the hardware for FSD

It wasn't $15,000 back then it was more like $4-6000. He raises the price as 'value' is added to the product. I'm not sure what value is defined as though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grab Im Moor posted:

Wtf, this photo is from 2012? Looks like something you'd see on some loser's geocities page back then.
Also lmao at De Sade, I thought this was supposed to be some kinda Matrix poo poo.

I thought he'd just failed to get laid on Goth Night at the local club in 2003.

Like I did.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

EngineerJoe posted:

It wasn't $15,000 back then it was more like $4-6000. He raises the price as 'value' is added to the product. I'm not sure what value is defined as though.

Yeah, I know a guy who got it for $2k in 2018 as Musk was even doing "sales" back then to drum up cash, and the guy thought 50% off for a free computer upgrade was worth it (as they *will* install the latest computer if you buy FSD and your car doesn't "support" it). He does believe FSD is coming though, and will apparently read his work e-mails on the morning commute, using autopilot to deal with the freeway gridlock.

Edit: he's also a software engineer at a competing self driving company.

Charles Ford fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tesla owners are dumb as poo poo

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

gently caress me all those usenet posts are still online? well ok guess I'll never run for office.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

busalover posted:

gently caress me all those usenet posts are still online? well ok guess I'll never run for office.

Obviously it doesn't hurt one's chances of becoming the world's richest human

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kazil posted:

Tesla owners are dumb as poo poo

Yes please consider this before you start incredulously asking why Tesla owners do things

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Counterpoint: modern phones are ridiculously huge, and the fact they keep getting bigger is incredibly stupid for something is supposed to fit in your pocket

They keep getting bigger because they want to sell products the customers will buy.

Apple made an iPhone small recently and no one wanted it.

“The ‌iPhone 13‌ mini had the smallest share of sales of all the ‌iPhone 13‌ models, and it made up just three percent of total ‌iPhone‌ sales during the quarter. Comparatively, the other ‌iPhone 13‌ models were much more popular, and had the largest share of U.S. sales in several years.”

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cynic posted:

This wasn't even an unavoidable problem; I've chatted about self-driving with AI greybeards behind self-driving prototypes at huge automotive companies and there's not a single one who would trust a self-driving car to get them to the bottom of the road.

Other companies are leaps and bounds ahead of tesla because they are using intelligent systems with radar and lidar and sonar and laser and blazer and all sorts of azers, and i still don’t want one

Elon insisted on cameras only, and has shot himself directly in the foot

:lol:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Charles Ford posted:

Some of it is undoubtedly sensory-based too. I don't have FSD or "enhanced autopilot" but normal autopilot on mine definitely thinks the signals for the VTA train that run down the middle of the freeway in some places are just freeway traffic lights.

Since mine doesn't respond to traffic lights as it's just "basic" that certainly doesn't explain the random hard braking it will occasionally do on the freeway at 80mph.

if you got in a car with a stranger and they started doing hard brakechecks at random at 80mph on the freeway,

would you let em drive again

Offler posted:

I think you would have to sit idling for a stupidly long time to drain a gas/diesel tank as well. When I was driving across Norway in the winter there was some kind of massive road work up in a mountain pass so they stopped all traffic for more than two hours. My gas tank was at just above 3/4 full when they told us it would take more than an hour, and it was still at 3/4 when I drove off almost 2.5 hours later.

idling uses basically no fuel in modern cars (especially diesels) because there's no actual load on the engine, it's in free rotation under its own inertia and only detonates just enough fuel to counter out the friction loss, which is extremely low

slightly higher if you're running the HVAC system but still nowhere near what it burns to move

still don't leave gas cars idling (unless it's near/below freezing) if you don't have to for hvac/battery though, just turn it off if you're not using it in the next like, 30 seconds, unless you're delivering pizzas or something like that in a car without a stop-start battery/starter

diesels are honestly w/e to leave running if you're gonna be using it in under an hour or so, just leave it on so it doesn't have to heat cycle again, bc that'll generate more emissions than it running at temp & wear out glowplugs - if you see construction equipment idling while people eat lunch or whatever, they're not assholes because of it
on a similar note: the black sooty poo poo big diesels spew is mostly straight up pure carbon and falls to the ground as it cools and doesn't do anything. it's not great to breathe but it's not what's causing global warming (that's all the stuff mixed in with the soot that you don't see, lol!).

gently caress those dumb rednecks who leave pickups idling in parking lots all day for no reason though also Rollin Coal shitheads who detune and ruin their engines to own the libs, that actually does generate higher emissions & waste fuel for no reason

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dont miss the "user error" excuse for the full self driving mode :allears:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

spunkshui posted:

They keep getting bigger because they want to sell products the customers will buy.

“The ‌iPhone 13‌ mini had the smallest share of sales of all the ‌iPhone 13‌ models, and it made up just three percent of total ‌iPhone‌ sales during the quarter. Comparatively, the other ‌iPhone 13‌ models were much more popular, and had the largest share of U.S. sales in several years.”

Dunno what kind of pants you have to buy not to fit a modern phone. Cheek huggers I guess

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

spunkshui posted:

No one wanted it because the specs compared to the flagships were weak and the pricing was bad. It's not that it's small. It was priced just so that if you were going to make the outlay, why not buy the bigger, but better phone?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Well I just got a community guidelines violation from TikTok because calling Andrew Tate garbage is "clearly hostile toward people because of their protected attributes."

It was the last social media that I hadn't caught a punishment from after I caught a temporary ban from Twitter for implying Elon musk is not very bright(I have 25 followers on Twitter. Good thing they are watching what I say so closely.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait. $200 a month. Not $20 a month. Who the gently caress would pay $2400 a year on top of the costs of the overpriced car they already bought for beta (at best) software that is absolutely not ready for prime time and in a worst case scenario might actually kill them or an innocent civilian?

God drat, we live in a brain-damaged world.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even my colleague who puts his life savings in Tesla says the FSD he bought for $10k was a waste of money

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

busalover posted:

Everything is still there, including the sage advice of Larry Preuss

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.folklore.urban/c/09YfDqpn8pE/m/DRrAJkOaLPwJ

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cynic posted:

It's more getting enough juice to prime charging real estate. They can fix the connector issues easily (and in fact have for various trials in the EU)

There are a dozen other charging networks that did that without using proprietary connectors or manufacturer lock-in. So I reiterate: gently caress the Tesla supercharging network

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gadzuko posted:

No "eventually" about it, the first death from someone using autopilot was back in 2016 and there have been plenty more since. I went to look it up and there's even a website entirely dedicated to tracking it: https://www.tesladeaths.com/

19 on that list are directly autopilot related. If Ford released a car where the seat warmers killed 19 people, they'd recall it and probably have to pay off a bunch of people.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

twistedmentat posted:

19 on that list are directly autopilot related. If Ford released a car where the seat warmers killed 19 people, they'd recall it and probably have to pay off a bunch of people.

It wouldnt be allowed to be used on public roads, for sure

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RodShaft posted:

Well I just got a community guidelines violation from TikTok because calling Andrew Tate garbage is "clearly hostile toward people because of their protected attributes."

It was the last social media that I hadn't caught a punishment from after I caught a temporary ban from Twitter for implying Elon musk is not very bright(I have 25 followers on Twitter. Good thing they are watching what I say so closely.

What, his protected attribute of being garbage?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

RodShaft posted:

i guess being a human trafficker is a protected class now

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/lorakolodny/status/1611496184757260289?s=46&t=XhlCll4ROlLwO2ZGZlhXgg
Weird, all those right wing experts were telling me this was a solved problem the moment Elon turned off the CSAM button on the Twitter dashboard. This is beginning to be a little…

…concerning

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"No, you're using it wrong! The correct way to use it is not to turn it on*.

Also I'm going to ignore all those other times your car tried to kill you because they don't support my narrative that it's all your fault."

*Admittedly, the location wasn't supported and was a dumbass place to try the feature that you admit has tried repeatedly to hurt you elsewhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's just like pressing "resume" on the cruise control while in the parking lot, it immediately leaps to 65 mph

(is my assumption)

(no it is not)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Dunno what kind of pants you have to buy not to fit a modern phone. Cheek huggers I guess

Women's pants. Pockets aren't made to fit poo poo.

Seriously, I like having pockets, but fitting anything of any real size in them isn't going to happen. It's hard enough to get them to fit my rear end without things in the pockets.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They brought back the Razr what else do you want

Ain’t illegal for women to buy Jncos like the rest of us

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Women's pants. Pockets aren't made to fit poo poo.

Seriously, I like having pockets, but fitting anything of any real size in them isn't going to happen. It's hard enough to get them to fit my rear end without things in the pockets.
Yeah, this. I'm surprised the iPhone minis sold as poorly as they did; my wife was begging for a phone of that size and snapped up a 12 mini the second they became available. She said she hadn't been happy with phone sizes since the iPhone 5. "Normal" phone sizes are not made for women's hands or pockets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or Old Navy cargo pants

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Data Graham posted:

What, his protected attribute of being garbage?

I appealed it and they kept it down. I reposted it and only changed the description txt and they have no problem with it. So yeah that must be the thing.

Like the actual video has nothing that can be considered hateful. It's just a stupid pun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've watched that video like six times now and I feel like my brain will explode before I understand what the joke is

What does "ta-TAY" have to do with either "landscape" or "portrait"

why is turning a landscape photo vertical "portrait" as opposed to cropping it

what is going on, is there some gamer lore that is essential to this

I feel like this joke came up about 100 pages ago and was withdrawn as having been based on a fundamental misunderstanding or something

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Drone_Fragger posted:

The apple mouse was designed to be unusable while charging because Steve jobs thought a wireless mouse that could be used while charging would inevitably to the user end up as a wired mouse (because people would find it easier to never unplug it) which he specifically did not want because of aesthetics and branding.

He wasn't entirely wrong. I almost entirely use my Logitech wireless mouse as a wired mouse, partly because of :effort: plugging/unplugging it and partly because I'm a big dumb idiot.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I've watched that video like six times now and I feel like my brain will explode before I understand what the joke is

What does "ta-TAY" have to do with either "landscape" or "portrait"

why is turning a landscape photo vertical "portrait" as opposed to cropping it

what is going on, is there some gamer lore that is essential to this

I feel like this joke came up about 100 pages ago and was withdrawn as having been based on a fundamental misunderstanding or something

Tate("tah-tey") is the Japanese word for vertically oriented arcade monitors. Some Japanese arcade ports have a "Tate mode" where you have to physically turn your entire TV sideways. So it's entered retro gaming jargon, but is often mispronounced because people think that it's just an abbreviation of "rotate" but it is not. That's it. The whole joke.

My jokes are made for me and half a dozen other people that may exist, or may only exist in my mind. It's a wonder why I'm not an influencer or whatever.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

koshmar posted:

They make a RWD model 3. That thing has got to be super squirrelly with all that torque.
RWD stands for Right Wing Douche in this context...

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

it blows me away beta is legal, how the gently caress is giving people a half assed broken self driving option legal. Is it only available in america?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

...! posted:

He wasn't entirely wrong. I almost entirely use my Logitech wireless mouse as a wired mouse, partly because of :effort: plugging/unplugging it and partly because I'm a big dumb idiot.

One of the best things Logitech did was standardize their wireless dongles and allow you to connect 5 devices to one receiver. There's got to be so much e waste generated by so many wireless keyboards and mice getting separated from their receivers so they just get tossed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RodShaft posted:

Tate("tah-tey") is the Japanese word for vertically oriented arcade monitors. Some Japanese arcade ports have a "Tate mode" where you have to physically turn your entire TV sideways. So it's entered retro gaming jargon, but is often mispronounced because people think that it's just an abbreviation of "rotate" but it is not. That's it. The whole joke.

My jokes are made for me and half a dozen other people that may exist, or may only exist in my mind. It's a wonder why I'm not an influencer or whatever.

Thanks for the explanation nonetheless, now that I have that context that's pretty funny actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Look out, I'm going tate mode