Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gonzo McFee posted:

The thing about comedy is that the jokes never evolve. It's just the same thing over and over again. It's not something that reflects the times or changes with society. It's a completely static thing.

Finally a kindred soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Even the actual article is more "we wouldn't do stuff exactly like that now, there's too many things that aren't funny to the modern version of that audience", Grimes is just being a oval office as usual.

Turns out 12 years later, the experiences that were relatable to a generation may not be anymore??? wokery incoming.

TBF this is mostly for the sad reason that more online interaction has sapped away at many of the in-person events that drove storylines, but still.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Eddie Izzard made me laugh a lot when I was younger. I could relate to a lot of his sketches about the clarinet teacher Mrs Badcrumble.

Then he... Went very weird. And not in a fun way weird. Or a Bill Bailey and owls weird. Just.... Euuuugh weird.

Is Ross Noble Milkshake Ducked? I liked him too =(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's just the perennial "you wouldn't be able to make Blazing Saddles these days" complaint.

Which is true, because the underlying joke of "all these TV Westerns erase the racism of the founding of the Wild West while being pretty racist themselves" would fall flat on any modern audience, but the people complaining just want to say the n-word a lot on TV, which is all they themselves got from watching it when they were 12.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Comedy was so irreverent and subversive when I was 12, like Smith and Jones and Hale and Pace and

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

You couldn't make The Inbetweeners today, but you can, and do, show it today, on a major TV channel, fully uncensored, every loving day, forever

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

These days, if you tried to make a show like Porridge, they'd lock you up in prison and film it and call it "Porridge," and then they would get locked up as well.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 7, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These days if you say This is England they stick a number after it and put it on the telly.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

You couldn't make The Inbetweeners these days, except you could make The Inbetweeners these days, but nobody would watch it, not even me, even though I'm the exact target demographic, because I'm so miserable and mired in nostalgia that I'd complain that it's a rip-off of my favourite show, The Inbetweeners

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The only thing you could film from the inbetweeners these days is Gregg Davies and that's because most of his bits were objectively great.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Thing is they almost couldn't make The Inbetweeners because TV producers kept passing on it until channel 4 took a punt on it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
speaking of shows you absolutely couldnt make today, I really want to know what the makers of Utopia thought of the last 3 years

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a single part of The Inbetweeners that would be rejected outright by the modern Channel 4 Woke Hivemind. It's actually all pretty loving tame by today's standards. There's lots of jokes about people or things being gay, but see also literally every other comedy show in syndication

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

Eddie Izzard made me laugh a lot when I was younger. I could relate to a lot of his sketches about the clarinet teacher Mrs Badcrumble.

Then he... Went very weird. And not in a fun way weird. Or a Bill Bailey and owls weird. Just.... Euuuugh weird.

he's fine, just pretty milquetoast

mark steel still owns

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wachter posted:

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a single part of The Inbetweeners that would be rejected outright by the modern Channel 4 Woke Hivemind. It's actually all pretty loving tame by today's standards. There's lots of jokes about people or things being gay, but see also literally every other comedy show in syndication

from what guav said it's not that it wouldn't be allowed anymore, it's that the modern teen audience would look at it with confusion as to how that's meant to match their experiences

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The modern teen audience were only just being born when it was first on the telly what the actual gently caress is going on with linear time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Today's teens having different teen years to me is woke cultural maoism.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

Today's teens having different teen years to me is straight bussin fr fr no cap

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

this is not poggers and furthermore, cheugy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
straight bussin is when they bus kids from straight neighborhoods to GAY SCHOOL

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

yo where that straight bussy at

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
God, Utopia.

How I remember it happening: Sold off as prestige/HBO US remake with ~*~ DAVID FINCHER ~*~ :rolleyes: attached, likely on condition UK version is stopped (pretty sure this was solid industry insider info at the time, but it could just as easily be nonsense), since no actual good reason was ever given for not going ahead with a third series to wrap it up, despite it being "channel-defining" (their words).

HBO screw it up and Amazon get it (for cheap I would assume) and actually make a series, unforgiveably killing off Jessica Rothe (Happy Death Day) in episode 2, from which it never recovered. Shitcanned immediately.

Smash cut to me, furious yet again that this level of incompetence is rewarded. Deadass NOT bussin.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Only Kindness posted:

God, Utopia.

How I remember it happening: Sold off as prestige/HBO US remake with ~*~ DAVID FINCHER ~*~ :rolleyes: attached, likely on condition UK version is stopped (pretty sure this was solid industry insider info at the time, but it could just as easily be nonsense), since no actual good reason was ever given for not going ahead with a third series to wrap it up, despite it being "channel-defining" (their words).

HBO screw it up and Amazon get it (for cheap I would assume) and actually make a series, unforgiveably killing off Jessica Rothe (Happy Death Day) in episode 2, from which it never recovered. Shitcanned immediately.

Smash cut to me, furious yet again that this level of incompetence is rewarded. Deadass NOT bussin.

the reason dennis kelly has given was that nobody watched it and c4 had to bookend it with two hours of sas wankery just to stop the daily mail lot immediately calling ofcom after every episode

personally, I'd hate it to be continued. The story ends in the most consistent manner - the gang get killed at a black site, Dugdale is firmly under control and can be disposed of at a moments notice, and Wilson's obsession with privacy allows him to become a version of Rabbit not even mi5 know about. The story is over and within a year the conspiracy will be utterly victorious. There is nothing interesting to watch, and no reasonable perspective left to stand in for the viewer.. Less a cliffhanger, just a big cliff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mebh posted:

Bill Bailey went very weird in an "extremely racist stereotyping of the Chinese" way, so he's definitely Ducked.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.indy100.com/news/urinate-walls-london-splash-back-2659080826

quote:

People who urinate on walls in public could soon be in for a bit of a shock, after the unveiling of a new London scheme.

Streets in Soho are being painted with a "splash back" substance as part of a new Westminster City Council initiative, which will also see more people fined if caught.

It comes after the council spent close to £1 million on cleaning fees after residents complained following an increase in public urination incidents, BBC News reports.

Yes it's very unpleasant but when almost all public toilets have been closed and in many cases bricked over, quite where are people supposed to go?
You can try going into a pub or cafe but after a certain time a lot of those in central London have bouncers at the toilet doors.

This would mostly apply to those with male appendages, not many women can pee up a wall.

There could easily be some sort of smart card arrangement where you could use registered pubs, cafes or stores and they would get some payment for cleaning and maintaining the facilities.

More broadly, why does the UK punish people first and look into solutions afterwards instead of providing the alternative first so it's ready and waiting for changes in laws etc public transport, supply much improved public transport first before drastically increasing cost of driving.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you cant scare me with the idea of my own piss going all up all over me it does that anyway I'm impervious to your attacks

franco
Jan 3, 2003

:ohdear:

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Helps if the image attaches

Only registered members can see post attachments!

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Not gonna lie: when I was a kid I thought those were their shadows. I was not a bright one apparently.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tesseraction posted:

mark steel still owns

Nah.

https://twitter.com/mypalfootfoot7/status/1399427018866020352?s=20

https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1346488164999962625?s=20

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.indy100.com/news/urinate-walls-london-splash-back-2659080826

Yes it's very unpleasant but when almost all public toilets have been closed and in many cases bricked over, quite where are people supposed to go?
You can try going into a pub or cafe but after a certain time a lot of those in central London have bouncers at the toilet doors.

This would mostly apply to those with male appendages, not many women can pee up a wall.

There could easily be some sort of smart card arrangement where you could use registered pubs, cafes or stores and they would get some payment for cleaning and maintaining the facilities.

More broadly, why does the UK punish people first and look into solutions afterwards instead of providing the alternative first so it's ready and waiting for changes in laws etc public transport, supply much improved public transport first before drastically increasing cost of driving.

I think they've removed all the public urinals bar the longstanding metal ones as Soho St goes on to Soho Square - all through lockdown and it's iterations of street drinking round there the square was surrounded by male/female toilets on the street.
I roll through there at all hours at least twice a week and I've never actually seen anyone pissing on 'people who actually live in Soho's doors'. From the article you linked -
"On Houston Street, residents just get people urinating on their doors. It's awful."
Where the gently caress is Houston St in Soho? Google Maps is drawing a blank.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress's sake

can I endorse one loving person without them being a piece of poo poo?

ughhh

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I didn’t think much of Utopia back at the time. I don’t want to be all hipstery but I was put off by anti-vax poo poo before it was cool. Also, the premise was just weirdly incredibly dated. I think if I said the words “graphic novel, internet chat room, government conspiracy” out loud I’d open a portal directly to 1996. I should probably do that and buy shares in arms manufacturers before 9/11.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mebh posted:

Eddie's pronouns are she/her now btw

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Thank you for notifying me, I will now take another 4 steps back before assaulting the wall with a golden shower. Or I'll piss into some bushes. Or heritage listed buildings only.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jedit posted:

Bill Bailey went very weird in an "extremely racist stereotyping of the Chinese" way, so he's definitely Ducked.

Is the racist bit only you ever saw and we just have to take your word for it that he's bad now?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I know someone who actually looked after his property and whatnot when he was touring - from all accounts he's a really nice dude Ol' Bailey - treated them like a guest rather than an employee and the like

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Eddie's pronouns are she/her now btw

Whoooops. Not been following her for a while.

I entirely tuned out of the panel show circuit comedians sometime during Corbyn's leadership and never really went back after I realised most of them were loving terrible melts due to being, well... Celebrities beholden to the BBC for their careers.

I did watch the first few seasons of taskmaster though. Mostly because it really showed up the really twatty ones for who they are.

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
The closure of public toilets boiled my piss so much I no longer needed to urinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jedit posted:

Can you elaborate more? I can't find anything. I remember a bit at the end of one of his shows where he apparently bought a live owl from a wet market in China and then freed it but I don't remember it being particularly racist... I could be wrong though.

E: ah. Right. https://www.quora.com/Is-Bill-Baile...al-significance