Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cn3Nj3Kdww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Plastic Pal posted:

I don't have much but I have them and they make me so happy.

Exactly. I'm pretty neurodivergent and I'm just not able to really get ahead of where I'm at. I'm missing several crucial life skills such as driving. I live alone in a city that's bigger than anything I've lived in as a kid.

Pesto and Mayo are my biggest and most cherished treasures, far beyond anything material. They're the life in my life if that makes sense I'd chuck my harp out the window to have more time with them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

More than 20 years ago, my sweet silly cockatiel friend Looloo died after we had only known her about 2 years.
The days after she died were agony. I was a college student at the time, and when friends asked why I looked so miserable, the act of answering was intolerably painful. I literally couldn't talk about her death, it hurt too much.

Of course, the pain has massively decreased over the years, but even now, so many years later, I am still heartbroken that my foolish, lovely sweet little doofus friend is gone.
She was so nice, and so drat silly.

I love my parrot Pookie like anything, and also my good dog Henry, but my own good girl Looloo will always have a special, preserved place in my heart.

Basically I am saying that no matter how long ago a loss happened, you will always miss those you loved. A precious friend is and always was, a precious friend.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 31, 2022

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It's been a few days now and the pain is still very present. Pesto's mostly doing regular budgie things: preening, making noise, etc... He's still flock calling almost all day and I try to answer them. He's definitely not eating as much as he was before but then again he would end up regurgitating most of into Mayo, which was something that should have been addressed to avoid egg binding.

Today's the first day I have off since she passed away. I've been trying to pay as much attention as I can to Pesto but he seems mostly interested in darting around and avoiding me if I press too much. That being said he goes through bouts of following me every room I go or sitting nearby.

I hate that her body is so near. I want so badly for her to be buried. I'm avoiding my freezer because it just hurts too much.

Qubee, how's Chick doing? I know you've tried everything but I really hope she can have a pellet-based diet some day soon.

edit- Pesto's currently flying to one of his "kissy spots" (areas that are level with my nose so he can kiss it), giving me a few little kisses and then bursting out into a screaming fit then exploding away.

edit edit- Now he's eating.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 1, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I cried multiple times a day for weeks and weeks after Sunny flew away :( It still hurts but it's getting somewhat less painful over time. Our birds never leave our hearts, that's for sure.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

One of my dogs is buried by a tree on my parents' property. He Don Quixote'd a garbage truck (and lost). Sitting by that tree is always a place of peace for me. Death loving sucks, but the memory of good times with someone dear can also be eventually a thing that touches the soul with good alongside the bad.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm going to miss posts about your friend :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have some cheering bird news from my hometown in Ireland.
A few days ago, in our town's (very wholesome) fb group, someone posted that their Lutino cockatiel hen was lost.
There was no news for several days, which was obviously bad, since it's about 4-6 degrees celcius here, but then someone posted pictured of... a Lutino cockatiel sitting on a chain link fence outside a local supermarket!

Owners rushed down to find her, but by the time they got there, she was gone :(

Down in the comments, someone else sort of said they had her safe, but the comment was autocorrected to hell, so it was still very much up in the air.
Happily, the owners posted a couple of hours ago that she is indeed home, safe and well.

They are such silly birds, and so very good at flying fast, that it seems reuniting lost cockatiels with their people is awfully rare.

On the day Pookie got lost, she was gone for about 6 hours, but she was only ever about 200 feet away from home.
Our neighbours called up to say she was stomping around angrily in their garden.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 2, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A huge fear of mine is one of my girls (or both!) somehow escaping and getting outside. I'd never get them back home, even if I knew where they were. They'd fly to my head or shoulders or whatever, but the second I tried to grab them to put them in a carry cage, they'd fly off. I couldn't just leave them on my head or shoulders either, as every new noise would spook them off. Just opening the lobby door to the apartment would have them freak out, same with getting in the elevator.

I've legitimately thought of this scenario with dread a whole bunch of times, I don't know why I play through these over and over again.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Qubee posted:

A huge fear of mine is one of my girls (or both!) somehow escaping and getting outside. I'd never get them back home, even if I knew where they were. They'd fly to my head or shoulders or whatever, but the second I tried to grab them to put them in a carry cage, they'd fly off. I couldn't just leave them on my head or shoulders either, as every new noise would spook them off. Just opening the lobby door to the apartment would have them freak out, same with getting in the elevator.

I've legitimately thought of this scenario with dread a whole bunch of times, I don't know why I play through these over and over again.

Having enticed a couple of lost birds into safe situations, the best option in my experience, is a cage with obvious access to food and water.
Lost pets know that cages=food, and once they are in, you can close the doors.
We were really lucky a few years ago, when we caught a lost budgie.
She was way way up in a tree, but she came down and got into to the cage with our own budgie to get a bite to eat.
The key element in our situation was that our budgie had a deformed wing and couldn't fly, so leaving the doors open was reasonably safe.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It was awful seeing Pesto flying around the neighborhood! The only thing that got him to come to me was his cage, millet and Mayo. He kept flying to the top of the cage to give Mayo the ol' pin-eyes, got distracted by the millet I was holding and then I just like... picked him up with little to no resistance on his part and I shoved him through the food hatch.

edit- Pesto's flock calling has settled down a bit. I wonder if playing budgie noises to him would be soothing or cruel? I can also tell he's not used to being alone at night since he's been having night frights and is alarmed by any sound/light/movement. I feel there's just so much we don't know about little parrot feelings.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I once kept a disabled budgie (hatched out for a breeder with the bird version of the rickets, they were just going to let him starve to death but somehow my partner found out about him through social media) and he took a lot of comfort and enjoyment from having an old smartphone playing the audio from long budgie-aviary videos. I don't think it would be cruel or disrespectful to try, for sure.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't like playing budgie sounds as it riles my two up and makes them frantically start trying to find the source. I'm of the opinion that it can be a tad cruel. Imagine being by your lonesome and hearing people talking from somewhere in the room, and you so desperately want to go and see them, but no matter where you look you can't find them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, it causes Pesto to dart around while calling.

I think for a new bird, if you're present in the room, you could play the noises as an icebreaker. Anything to get that shy birdy making beeps. Then you can join in the chatter by talking to it. Noises also might make birds horny. We don't know what those budgies are actually saying in those videos. Could be erotic.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Forgot to say that look at this bird

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I was in this thread a while back asking about pigeons, and wanted to update that I found a breeder :toot: so I'll have my pigeon pair around 2-6 weeks!

I'm getting a pair of these guys, archangel pigeons.

Their care is a lot less intensive than a parrot, but figured I'd share here anyways. Pigeons are very sweet little dudes (usually) and their beaks thankfully can't do too much damage to skin. They live to be around 15 in a pet environment.

Now the hardest part is that I have to come up with 2 names, lol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MagpieConcept posted:

I was in this thread a while back asking about pigeons, and wanted to update that I found a breeder :toot: so I'll have my pigeon pair around 2-6 weeks!

Their care is a lot less intensive than a parrot, but figured I'd share here anyways. Pigeons are very sweet little dudes (usually) and their beaks thankfully can't do too much damage to skin. They live to be around 15 in a pet environment.

I'd have thought it'd be easy to find a pool of names to consider :v:.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
She watchin' you.

Expect fresh Serra vids in the new year. Our household got Covid, followed by an IVIG infusion for me, followed by the flu, about to be followed by another infusion. It's been a physically rough couple of months for doing anything vaguely creative.

Love you all, and your precious flocks.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MagpieConcept posted:

Oh they look gorgeous! Please do share them with us when they arrive.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

MagpieConcept posted:

I just love pigeons and doves to bits. They can be incredibly sweet and affectionate little clouds

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd have thought it'd be easy to find a pool of names to consider :v:.

Oh my GOD I have no idea how that didn't occur to me, lol. :doh: I've been leaning towards naming them Smoke and Mirror!

Also I'll definitely be sure to post pics once they're here. :3: So excited!!

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Pookah posted:

I have some cheering bird news from my hometown in Ireland.
A few days ago, in our town's (very wholesome) fb group, someone posted that their Lutino cockatiel hen was lost.
There was no news for several days, which was obviously bad, since it's about 4-6 degrees celcius here, but then someone posted pictured of... a Lutino cockatiel sitting on a chain link fence outside a local supermarket!

Owners rushed down to find her, but by the time they got there, she was gone :(

Down in the comments, someone else sort of said they had her safe, but the comment was autocorrected to hell, so it was still very much up in the air.
Happily, the owners posted a couple of hours ago that she is indeed home, safe and well.

They are such silly birds, and so very good at flying fast, that it seems reuniting lost cockatiels with their people is awfully rare.

On the day Pookie got lost, she was gone for about 6 hours, but she was only ever about 200 feet away from home.
Our neighbours called up to say she was stomping around angrily in their garden.

We found our Zenith like this:

Didn’t find the other one who was reported seen the same day. Apparently it’s pretty common for people to just let them out to get rid of them =(

Now she’s taking care of a little one and so happy all the time

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Anyone know how mediaphage and their birds, Alex and Grace are doing?

Also, I love Zenith

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Astroid posted:

We found our Zenith like this:

Didn’t find the other one who was reported seen the same day. Apparently it’s pretty common for people to just let them out to get rid of them =(

Now she’s taking care of a little one and so happy all the time

Lovely birbs :3:

Of our last 3 budgies, 2 were just found flying around.
Mr. Man was found by a friend, who rehomed him with us when she couldn't keep him, and Bean just arrived in our front garden years ago.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

So excited for pigeonposting. What was the bit about a name pool? Idgi

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

So excited for pigeonposting. What was the bit about a name pool? Idgi

I think it's because they're archangel pigeons and there are some archangel names already.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ms Cookies and I joke that if we knew what we were getting into, we would've named our two birds Peace and Quiet, since it's the only way we'd ever get it.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Hi all, haven't posted in a long time. i asked this in the vet/animal health thread, but maybe this is the better place. sorry for double posting.

Got a new cockatiel this year after my 17yr old buddy passed. Picked him up in May, he's already bonded and super cool. Anyways, i'll take him with me into the shower and he likes to perch on the shampoo rack, and he likes to drink the water as it comes out of the showerhead, but he'll drink a lot and then throw up (or regurgitate?), and gets diarrhea (or urinates?) for a little bit after. New behavior for me, so i don't know if its serious or not. Hoping someone has insight on this. Thank you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can't talk on the throwing up part, but out of my two girls, one absolutely loves bathing. She'll drink so much water during it. Her poops for the next 30 minutes will be extremely watery, or basically all water. So I'm pretty sure that's normal. They poop and pee together so it makes sense if they drink a lot of water, only liquid will come out.

Congrats on the new guy. I would love to get a cockatiel but I worry they're too high maintenance.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Alright, here he is. Meet Echo. This is on May 12th the day i brought him home.

6 months later after his molt.

Striking a pose.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ohhh his little punk-rear end mohawk looking forward sweep crest :kimchi:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

:swoon:

He's absolutely gorgeous! What's his favourite treat?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

bee posted:

:swoon:

He's absolutely gorgeous! What's his favourite treat?

whatever i'm eating =/

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Veritas posted:

whatever i'm eating =/

pets.txt

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Veritas posted:

whatever i'm eating =/

It is known

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
The lighting angle gives him a bit of :catstare: too, especially in the third shot.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad just pooped...mostly. there's a uhhhh dangler hanging from his butt. Don't recall seeing this before - is he dehydrated or getting too much fiber or something

I am sure you guys would love a picture of this but he is understandably shy

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Has he been eating any mistletoe?

https://youtu.be/qQnaIZtbv18

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm going to start calling mistletoe "dingleberries" and nobody can stop me

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
lol no guess it was just a freak incident he cleared it and has been firing away normally since

thanks, this has been another Pet Island Poop Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SuperKlaus posted:

Sinbad just pooped...mostly. there's a uhhhh dangler hanging from his butt. Don't recall seeing this before - is he dehydrated or getting too much fiber or something

I am sure you guys would love a picture of this but he is understandably shy

Since my Sunny got old he can't reach his butt/tail feathers so sometimes poop clings on there. I have to check him every night so a poop mass doesn't grow and block him up.