Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

off for the day so I threw on the India-Sri Lanka T20 and watching Umran Malik is wild. Throws 150+ and every ball is either a boundary, no ball or wicket. Went 3-45 or something , which I guess isn't to crazy, but on every delivery you feel like something chaotic will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dead Goon posted:

Make it happen!

Post in AI's chat thread and I can :)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Don’t think Aus v SA is going to get much play today. I’m a few kilometres from the SCG and it’s been raining steadily all morning with no sign that it’ll break up at all.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

cursed place

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I feel like it's specifically day 3 that always gets the worst of the rain too. McGrath should move the charity day to any other day

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fanatic posted:

I feel like it's specifically day 3 that always gets the worst of the rain too. McGrath should move the charity day to any other day

Control and consistency (and hostility) were his trademarks as a player so

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

webmeister posted:

Nah it's younger than that, iirc a random American mod waded in a few years ago and demanded we reboot the thread, so we just had the title changed to be a few years earlier

This is probably the third or so iteration of the cricket thread though I think?

The OP of this thread will be 8 years old in a couple of weeks.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Man how the gently caress is this even a real sport

Wait two hours for a break in the rain
Rain eventually clears
Immediately take a 40 minute lunch break
Rain starts again 35 minutes later

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

It's alright mate they only really need 20 minutes so ussie can come out and get his double. I'm sure that will happen some time in the next 3 days.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Need to take test matches away from cities like Sydney with their terrible record for rain disruptions and give them to more reliable places like Manchester or Leeds.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Give it to Hobart. It's the second driest capital city in the country so it's the natural place to host important cricket games. Sydney can have useless poo poo like the BBL.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Give it to Hobart. It's the second driest capital city in the country so it's the natural place to host important cricket games. Sydney can have useless poo poo like the BBL.

Agree with this. It's also a good excuse to go and eat and drink my way around Tassie again.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There was an image of Punter looking like an absolute goon when he first played for Tassie but I can't seem to find it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

NZ beat Aus in a test down in Tassie so it got banned.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Amazing, with 5 mins of calling off the day there’s patches of blue sky above me and it’s looking better than at any point today. I’m only a few km from the SCG so I doubt it’s much different there

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

NZ beat Aus in a test down in Tassie so it got banned.

That was the match where they used a text poll to award MOTM to Clarke instead of Doug Bracewell who took a 10 wicket haul.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
im glad a true blue aussie champion like clarke won instead of some no-name kiwi.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Imagine that after nine months of pregnancy, 24+ hours of labour and intense pain, you look at your precious newborn and your first thought is: "lets call him Doug"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

exmachina posted:

That was the match where they used a text poll to award MOTM to Clarke instead of Doug Bracewell who took a 10 wicket haul.

If I remember rightly, Davey Warner got MOTM that game for a pretty good hundred. Also Bracewell made a pretty handy 70 odd too, I think.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It was Warner, yes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mister Chief posted:

There was an image of Punter looking like an absolute goon when he first played for Tassie but I can't seem to find it.

Like this?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It was like his team profile picture. He had the beard and looked like about 3 teeth. It was for Tassie before he played for Australia.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Southee looks exhausted.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

webmeister posted:

Imagine that after nine months of pregnancy, 24+ hours of labour and intense pain, you look at your precious newborn and your first thought is: "lets call him Doug"

Reported for racism against Scots.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Mister Chief posted:

It was like his team profile picture. He had the beard and looked like about 3 teeth. It was for Tassie before he played for Australia.

There was an old milk ad he did, this is the best example i could find:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

put both hands in posted:

There was an old milk ad he did, this is the best example i could find:

Yes!

The 2nd one.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol a draw with a wicket and 15 runs to get I love cricket

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nice work from everyone involved. A proper cricket.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Poor Khawaja, only the third batter in history to be stranded in the 190s by a declaration

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

if there's mud on the wicket let's play cricket

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

webmeister posted:

Poor Khawaja, only the third batter in history to be stranded in the 190s by a declaration

Yeah that's rough, but there's no time to lose when there's 20 wickets to take

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

webmeister posted:

I feel a little bad for him, but that's what you get for being such a big fan of a shithole like Sydney.

Also gently caress me, Haze came back to stake a loving claim to his spot.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oh yeah absolutely, I think if they started on time this morning Aus would’ve batted another 20-30 mins, but losing the whole session makes that completely untenable.

As bad as SA have batted, I still don’t think there’s enough time to bowl them out twice

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

webmeister posted:

Oh yeah absolutely, I think if they started on time this morning Aus would’ve batted another 20-30 mins, but losing the whole session makes that completely untenable.

As bad as SA have batted, I still don’t think there’s enough time to bowl them out twice

I think it'll depend on what the spinners can get out of the pitch. South Africa's spinners were dogshit and they managed a little bit of grip and drift. Three overs in and not a wicket gives me pause though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

iooo gently caress if Smith took that, that's an early contender for catch of the year.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Three overs in and not a wicket gives me pause though.

Heh

edit; maybe?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Out.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's loving horseshit. That's out.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Both of these third umpire catch decisions were out. The rule is kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Both of these third umpire catch decisions were out. The rule is kinda dumb.

Yeah 100%. Marnus should've been out but this one absolutely should be as well