Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

silentsnack posted:

if you really believe in yourself and put in enough effort you can die of anything you set your mind to.

if you want cancer tho tritium is a bad choice since it has short biological retention time, doesn't accumulate in any particular tissue, and its low-energy beta emissions are bad at dealing all of their damage in a concentrated area

I don't want it but it's nice to hear that that was a minor fuckup compared to everything else i've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CainFortea posted:

Eh, the pipes are all pvc so it's not going to do anything with the lye. And this is preventative since we can't snake the shower and trying to snake under a toilet is a whole thing since you have to take the toilet off.
Lye heat of mixing and various heats of reaction with organic gunk can quickly exceed high temp PVC let alone if your contractor was cheap and subbed in normal PVC hoping noone noticed.

Like its basically OK but you're reducing the life span of your drains if nothing else. I do it more than I should but I also have a drain system in need of reno that already leaks like a sieve into the yard.

A real snake can go through the toilet trap itself unless you have a really funky low flow. Showers should have an access panel to where the trap is unless again, discount construction.

Hand cranked snake is the best investment I've ever made.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zedprime posted:

A real snake can go through the toilet trap itself unless you have a really funky low flow. Showers should have an access panel to where the trap is unless again, discount construction.

A snake can go down a toilet but you risk scoring the porcelain to do so. They make toilet snakes with a rubberized bend at the end and no edges on the outside but they only go about 4 feet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
wow please tag and spoiler your post if you're going to talk about animal cruelty. poor snakes :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Synnr posted:

Afaik u-235 gets used to produce some Medical isotopes but isn't used as such. Really it's just a heavy metal with some extra nasty, there's other heavy metals if you need some awful complex. And I expect it's half-life and dosing rate isn't useful for like a radiation seed.

E; apparently u-234 is/was used in dental fixtures for color? Yikes.

U-230 is a candidate for targeted alpha therapy, but only in the sense that it decays to Th-226 which is what is what is delivered to the patient.

namlosh posted:

Unrelated question: does anyone know specifically the legality of tritium keychains in the US? Is there a special carve out for them or ????

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part030/part030-0019.html

Summary: You need a license to manufacture products that incorporate tritium, but if someone overseas makes them without a NRC license and through some chain of events one of them winds up in your possession then you're still in the clear unless the stuff is "used in products primarily for frivolous purposes or in toys or adornments." I don't think they've ever gone after end-users for keychains, though, or that there's any caselaw defining them as 'frivolous.'

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Jan 5, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If you're going to "snake" your drain in any way, you pretty much always have to dismount your toilet to get it in properly. I'd generally suggest going up the other way rather than down the toilet, since immediately past the toilet when everything still has plenty of velocity, is where it's unlikely to start clogging. Your clog is almost always going to be in the long almost-flat out to the main pipe in the road, and often closer to that pipe than to the toilet.

It's obviously a bit more work and a bit grosser to lift off a sewer lid and popping the snake up from the outside in, but it's liable to be far more effective. Also rather than the strictly mechanical snakes, something I find is quite good is you can get these heads for garden hoses that shoot water out "backwards" so they essentially use water pressure to force themselves through clogs. Garden hoses tend to be more flexible than the metal snakes and the water pressure is likely to get more force applied.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

namlosh posted:

As someone who has a lot of fake teeth, teeth are wierd. My current ones took weeks to grow in a lab run by some guy. From what I recall, the material is also semi-translucent, and built up layer by layer to make the tooth which turns out white in the end. The lab guy had a lot of cool looking equipment.

Unrelated question: does anyone know specifically the legality of tritium keychains in the US? Is there a special carve out for them or ????

I got my wife a couple for Christmas and she loves them, so was just wondering. They came in an envelope from Singapore and were wrapped in a foil coffee bag lol

Keychains are considered “frivolous use” by NRC and thus are forbidden.

It is however totally cool to have a tritium vial used for lighting a manhood compensator rifle sight that happens to fit snugly into a thing that is attached to your keychain.

e: Beaten like a DOE agent got me with the butt end of their Colt 633.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Jan 6, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What if the keychain has the key to my gun safe, and I need to be able to quickly locate it even in the dark in case of sudden Communists?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Keychains are considered “frivolous use” by NRC and thus are forbidden.

It is however totally cool to have a tritium vial used for lighting a manhood compensator rifle sight that happens to fit snugly into a thing that is attached to your keychain.

e: Beaten like a DOE agent got me with the butt end of their Colt 633.

Don't gently caress with the energy cops or with SA reply speeds

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

It's not for color, exactly, but for fluorescence. Real human teeth are slightly fluorescent (think about what it looks like when you smile under a blacklight) but the ceramics used for false teeth and repairs are not. This means that the false teeth would always look a little bit dull and gray beside natural ones, particularly in sunlight. Adding just a touch of a fluorescent element brightens them right up!

Interesting, and makes sense. The document I read was a little older (80s or 90s) and referred to it as a colorant but that might have just been an oddity in the language.

Phanatic posted:

U-230 is a candidate for targeted alpha therapy, but only in the sense that it decays to Th-226 which is what is what is delivered to the patient.

That's purely as a generator source for the thorium in funky SPE setups, isn't it? I was angling at the "put it in your body" side, given the question, but now I'm curious if the folks who do all our radiation stuff would have interesting/odd products to discuss.

Fluorodeoxyglucose (really, most of the radioactive tracers) is super cool, if not necessarily that dangerous. Similarly, the first time I ran metabolic analyses with doubly labeled water was (kind of still is, though I haven't in a couple of years) very exciting and strange to be doing. They just aren't radioactive.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

It's obviously a bit more work and a bit grosser to lift off a sewer lid and popping the snake up from the outside in, but it's liable to be far more effective. Also rather than the strictly mechanical snakes, something I find is quite good is you can get these heads for garden hoses that shoot water out "backwards" so they essentially use water pressure to force themselves through clogs. Garden hoses tend to be more flexible than the metal snakes and the water pressure is likely to get more force applied.

I have access to a jetter if it ever came to that. Instead I just lye the shower once a year ish and don't worry about it anymore.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Does FOOF have any real uses?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Platystemon posted:

I made soap with a large excess of lye once, and it wasn’t that bad.

I mean, as soap it was awful, but people would have you believe that soap with one percent too much lye is like piranha solution, and that’s just not true.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006&userid=84040&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post527889231

Are you sure about that? I mean, never trust something who's heart is full of lye

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Low temperature synthesis of plutonium hexafluoride, apparently. Otherwise it's (even more of) a gimmick.

I guess if you desperately need to oxidize an organic into nothing and want to terrify your labmates?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a gimmick chemical to scare undergrads into respecting fluorine chemistry.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cmon nobody is going to say rockets? :smug:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nasty tri and hexa fluorine stuff gets used in chip manufacture

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Cmon nobody is going to say rockets? :smug:

Highest specific impulse chemical system ever was a tripropellant mix of hydrogen, ClF3, and lithium.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Highest specific impulse chemical system ever was a tripropellant mix of hydrogen, ClF3, and lithium.

Uh I think you'll find FOOF and dimethylmercury outperforms everything.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Phanatic posted:

:chanpop:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Phanatic posted:

:nfpa:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

gently caress NO!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

gently caress NO!

What did NO ever do to you? :colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

What did NO ever do to you? :colbert:

Bought them dinner?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Making things go away?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ClF3 is used to clean reaction chambers in semiconductors. Pump gas in, it burns all the SiX off, and you get a clean chamber without having to take it apart. Useful when taking something apart to clean it takes a ton of time and will probably introduce contamination everywhere.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

Seems more like a dare than a propellant

fake e: twit that at Elon Musk

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

If anyone wants details:

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/6.1968-618
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19680007319

542 seconds, so a significant but not *huge* improvement on LOX/H2, while presenting all the difficulties of handling ClF3 and molten lithium and cryogenic hydrogen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The amounts of oxidizer put in one place for rockets is terrifiying enough without making it ClF3.

Just using elemental fluorine came up at one point in the thread, due to Ignition or something, and had some magnitudes of what an F2 oxidizer tank would be for a space rocket and my industrial fluorine brain being like "that's more fluorine in one spot than anyone has tried before" just cause your goal with elemental fluorine is to use it right away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kazinsal posted:

Winchell Chung's "Atomic Rockets" site updated recently, with one of the additions being a section on a 1966 study by Rockwell on a capsule-style Mars lander that ran on a delicate balance of liquid almost-FOOF.

There's a lot of rocketry math but it's an interesting read (especially for those who like rocketry math). Choice quotes include "the engine would periodically be sucking pure fluorine" and "a large melted crater with a few odd pieces of corroded metal and polished skeleton bits at the bottom".
Quoting original post from 7(!) years ago for posterity. The links have moved around a bit so the FLOX explanation for the Martian Excursion Module is here now http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/excursion.php#rockwellmem and the IMIS mission profile is better accessed from http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php#id--Boeing_IMIS.

You get there with NERVAs, with Fluorine Liquid Oxygen (FLOX)used for corrections and excursion ascents etc. because FLOX-CH4 systems are very energy dense and hypergolic so you don't even need a separate igniter which adds mass or can break.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phanatic posted:

If anyone wants details:

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/6.1968-618
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19680007319

542 seconds, so a significant but not *huge* improvement on LOX/H2, while presenting all the difficulties of handling ClF3 and molten lithium and cryogenic hydrogen.

I'm reading this paper and it's liquid difluorine, liquid hydrogen, and molten lithium.

Thankfully, no ClF3 is needed. Just cryogenic fluorine, cryogenic hydrogen, and molten lithium. I'm sure that simplifies.... something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm reading this paper and it's liquid difluorine, liquid hydrogen, and molten lithium.

Thankfully, no ClF3 is needed. Just cryogenic fluorine, cryogenic hydrogen, and molten lithium. I'm sure that simplifies.... something.

poo poo you’re right why was I remembering it as trifluoride.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phanatic posted:

poo poo you’re right why was I remembering it as trifluoride.

"gas phase reactions of fluorine with hydrogen, fluorine with lithium, and lithium with hydrogen fluoride, even at the lowest temperature likely to exist in the combustion chamber, are more rapid by several orders of magnitude..."
"Chamber pressure variation (200 to 1000 psia) has little effect on vacuum specific impulse."
"gas-augmented atomization of a liquid metal... [with a] lithium injector containing showerhead F2 orifices which produced gas jets into which high-velocity liquid lithium streams were injected"""

Sounds like a grand old time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"gas phase reactions of fluorine with hydrogen, fluorine with lithium, and lithium with hydrogen fluoride, even at the lowest temperature likely to exist in the combustion chamber, are more rapid by several orders of magnitude..."
"Chamber pressure variation (200 to 1000 psia) has little effect on vacuum specific impulse."
"gas-augmented atomization of a liquid metal... [with a] lithium injector containing showerhead F2 orifices which produced gas jets into which high-velocity liquid lithium streams were injected"""

:jebstare::fh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The real fun starts when you have to design fuel tanks for such an engine, given the wildly different temperatures required for each of these three chemicals (-252°, 180°, and -219° centigrade). Not to mention setting up facilities to produce enough fluorine to fill those tanks. And what happens to all the HF and other delightful corrosives and toxics the exhaust contains.

There's a reason that nobody's built this type of motor despite the amazing specific impulse (542 m/s) you get from it.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Jan 8, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The real fun starts when you have to design fuel tanks for such an engine, given the wildly different temperatures required for each of these three chemicals (-252°, 180°, and -219° centigrade). Not to mention setting up facilities to produce enough fluorine to fill those tanks. And what happens to all the HF and other delightful corrosives and toxics the exhaust contains.

There's a reason that nobody's built this type of motor despite the amazing specific impulse (542 m/s) you get from it.

Also the more exotic/toxic the fuel and combustion products are, the more exciting it'll be to solve the logistical puzzle of "how best to defuse the 300-ton bomb?" when a launch is canceled; because as mentioned a lot of these substances aren't something you especially want to keep in storage

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I suspect that with how complex your tankage is going to be you're mass fraction is going to be a lot worse than a kerolox or hydrolox engine.

At that point you might as well just use a kerolox first stage and make up the efficiency losses by using a solid-core NTR upper stage. Way less of a pain in the rear end to work with (and even solid-cores can get up to about 900 seconds isp or so).

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Double posting for the glory of the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces;

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LostCosmonaut posted:

Double posting for the glory of the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces;

What is an RD-600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Hexyflexy posted:

What is an RD-600

This

quote:

Glushko nuclear/LH2 rocket engine. Gas core nuclear engine worked developed 1962-1970 for use in second stage of two-stage interplanetary rockets.
Status: Developed 1962-70. Date: 1962-70. Thrust: 1,960.00 kN (440,620 lbf). Specific impulse: 2,000 s.

Gas core nuclear engine worked on by Glushko 1962-1970. For use in second stage of two-stage interplanetary rockets. This gas phase nuclear reactor was designed by Energomash for a Venus station/Mars flight. It would be launched from orbit. Work stopped in the USSR (and in the US) but it would have worked well in principle. This was one of the 'B' category engines developed by OKB-456 Filial 1 because it was too dangerous to test at Khimki.

But the table appears to refer to the RD-0600, which is something else:

quote:

Kosberg laser rocket engine. Space station "Skif". Developed 1970-85. Gas dynamic laser. Working medium gaseous carbon monoxide + air + nitrogen + ethanol. Flow rate up to 100 kg/s. Tests were performed at NII TP.
Status: Developed 1970-85. Date: 1970-85. Unfuelled mass: 750 kg (1,650 lb). Height: 0.90 m (2.95 ft).

Beam power up to 600 kW. A second variant for dicianatethylen + nitrogen oxide was developed and tested at GIPK.

Engine: 750 kg (1,650 lb).

It appears that this was not actually a rocket engine, but a gas dynamic laser, probably intended as a weapon. Perhaps it's being classified as a rocket because it's a chemical laser that consumes its fuel to lase?

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jan 8, 2023