Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Migratory shorebirds:

Bar tailed godwits:

More bar tailed godwits:

If you look at the middle bird, it's preening itself midflight. I had no idea that they did that. Migratory shorebirds are crazy.

Eastern curlew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I met a couple different birds on a road trip back in 2017.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Love me some chickadees

https://i.imgur.com/gPPjxbS.mp4

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Kestrel in the wind by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Goldcrest by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hard to choose the right thread for this one

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That’s really great

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 7, 2023

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Got a Nikon 200-500 today

Great Horned Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Dark Eyed Junco by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Black Capped Chickadee by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

neckbeard posted:

Got a Nikon 200-500 today

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

A good lens!

I love the colours of these birds

Here is a rainbow bee eater:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

toggle posted:

A good lens!

I love the colours of these birds

Here is a rainbow bee eater:

Lovely bird!

Hen Harrier female by Aves Lux, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

jarlywarly posted:

Lovely bird!

Hen Harrier female by Aves Lux, on Flickr

drat. Nice bird.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Get real close to your local Cedar Waxwings

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Kraa!

It has been very bleak January here and also I hurt my toe few weeks back so haven't taken any photos until today

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Fernandez Ranch Lewis Woodpecker-9726 on Flickr

It's been a pretty good year for these in my county but this is the first chance I've had to go after them. Unfortunately couldn't get any flight shots though.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Loving the face colour there!

Seagulls are turds, but funny to watch.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

that's honestly some very impressive taxidermy

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Big fan of these types of shorebird shot, really nice!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah this is great!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
There's been some sightings of Cedar Waxwings at a park in town, so spent 3 hours in -17 air temp with a windchill closing in on -30 looking for them. Only found Bohemian Waxwings and couldnt get any decent shots. There were however at least 100 robins at the park which seemed quite odd for this time of year

American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The spring songs have started here in Eastern PA in earnest. I feel like everything is running about a month ahead of schedule, robins included.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

mallards invaded a feeding spot in a forest today.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Anxious for spring to hit. In WI we just got a pile of snow. Lots and lots of Blue Jays and Cardinals tho.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

my cat is norris posted:

does anyone else remember the animated movie "the last of the curlews" because that poo poo left a scar, i cried so so much

https://youtu.be/t4cWShb2Afs

to this day when i hear about curlews at all my mind jumps to "wait aren't they all dead" :(

Thanks for sharing this. I'd never heard of it. Its surprising this made in 1972, progressive bordering on subversive. I feel like the dad teaching his son the "right" way to hunt was probably taken literally by most viewers back then, but they dared the audience to reject that, too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tilden Nature area birds on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ that iridescent lil duck!! that shy lil towhee! :neckbeard:

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Thanks for sharing this. I'd never heard of it. Its surprising this made in 1972, progressive bordering on subversive. I feel like the dad teaching his son the "right" way to hunt was probably taken literally by most viewers back then, but they dared the audience to reject that, too.

i'll need to watch this again through a more mature lens. you've made me very curious about what impact it might have on me these days compared to my first watch experience of "omg this is devastating."

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'd never heard of this either, what a crazy little film! This was 10 years past Silent Spring and about when Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act so the timing fits with the environmental movement of the time.

Whoever designed it legit knew their birds even the South American ones. It's pretty rad to see animated screamers and sunbitterns.

I remember having field guides with Eskimo Curlew in them growing up, maybe even the 1st edition Nat Geo? Maybe it's just me but this seems like a forgotten species compared to Passenger Pigeon or even Carolina Parakeet. I'd occasionally throw this into a lecture about extinction and somewhere I had a scan of an old menu from the 1800's listing Esquimeaux Curlew. It may not have been billion plus like passenger pigeon but there were many millions of these things just 150 years ago.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I haven't done much shooting this year but I joined the local chapter of Birdlife :)

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Rainy weather finally cleared up in the last couple weeks so I've finally been able to get some outings in.

This little Sharpie got himself a sparrow in my back yard.

Red tailed Hawk coming in for a landing.

Pair of Barn Owls getting ready for spring.

Juvenile Red Shouldered Hawk

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Edit: a slightly better bad bird photo

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 1, 2023

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I love this thread! You all are inspirational. Here's one from my last outing.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Jerm324 posted:

Rainy weather finally cleared up in the last couple weeks so I've finally been able to get some outings in.

Red tailed Hawk coming in for a landing.

this owns

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'd never heard of this either, what a crazy little film! This was 10 years past Silent Spring and about when Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act so the timing fits with the environmental movement of the time.

Whoever designed it legit knew their birds even the South American ones. It's pretty rad to see animated screamers and sunbitterns.

I remember having field guides with Eskimo Curlew in them growing up, maybe even the 1st edition Nat Geo? Maybe it's just me but this seems like a forgotten species compared to Passenger Pigeon or even Carolina Parakeet. I'd occasionally throw this into a lecture about extinction and somewhere I had a scan of an old menu from the 1800's listing Esquimeaux Curlew. It may not have been billion plus like passenger pigeon but there were many millions of these things just 150 years ago.

I can't remember which audiobook I listened to last year that had it, but it had a chapter about the last Great Auks and it was the soul crushingly sad.

This is a TLDR version:
The last colony of Great Auks lived on Geirfuglasker (the "Great Auk Rock") off Iceland. This islet was a volcanic rock surrounded by cliffs which made it inaccessible to humans, but in 1830 the islet submerged after a volcanic eruption, and the birds moved to the nearby island of Eldey, which was accessible from a single side. When the colony was initially discovered in 1835, nearly fifty birds were present. Museums, desiring the skins of the auk for preservation and display, quickly began collecting birds from the colony. The last pair, found incubating an egg, was killed there on 3 July 1844, on request from a merchant who wanted specimens, with Jón Brandsson and Sigurður Ísleifsson strangling the adults and Ketill Ketilsson smashing the egg with his boot. :smithicide:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 2, 2023

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I can't remember which audiobook I listened to last year that had it, but it had a chapter about the last Great Auks and it was the soul crushingly sad.

This is a TLDR version:
The last colony of Great Auks lived on Geirfuglasker (the "Great Auk Rock") off Iceland. This islet was a volcanic rock surrounded by cliffs which made it inaccessible to humans, but in 1830 the islet submerged after a volcanic eruption, and the birds moved to the nearby island of Eldey, which was accessible from a single side. When the colony was initially discovered in 1835, nearly fifty birds were present. Museums, desiring the skins of the auk for preservation and display, quickly began collecting birds from the colony. The last pair, found incubating an egg, was killed there on 3 July 1844, on request from a merchant who wanted specimens, with Jón Brandsson and Sigurður Ísleifsson strangling the adults and Ketill Ketilsson smashing the egg with his boot. :smithicide:

wtf awful

I just finished a book called Eye of the Albatross by Carl Safina. He goes out to Midway Island and follows researchers studying the Laysan Albatross, it's not a bad read. Anyway, there was a section where he talked about the guano mining they did on some of these tiny islands, and when that stopped being profitable they then went in using the birds for their feathers. Stories about chicks being boiled alive, to parents being clubbed while on their nests guarding an egg and other assorted terrible tales. :smith:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Here's a baby plover (or masked lapwing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly man you've posted good photos in other threads I dunno why you waste your energy in this one posting ironically.