Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kalman posted:

There isn’t. They’ve said that it’ll probably come so I’d expect it in 2026 or so.

I get the feeling the Windows team is such a shambling mess they literally can't write software from scratch anymore. Every time they do a clean sheet redo the result is terrible, and improvements come extremely slowly.

It reminds me of that comment from an MS employee regarding that font install dialog from Windows 3.1 that stuck around until like Win7. He said that basically any change takes about a hundred man-hours of red tape to get it through the approval process. So devs tie themselves in knots to avoid fixing things that aren't their personal priority one, since they'd have to hold its hand through the entire nightmare approval process. If you tie yourself to something that won't help you advance, it becomes a digital albatross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Imagine applying for a PM role though and your experience with MS is that you fought to get the Add Font window redone and managed to win against all the bureaucracy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
State of the Windows: How many layers of UI inconsistencies are in Windows 11?

it goes all the way back to 3.1.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Please don't tell Microsoft. They might change some more of the older stuff which is almost universally superior to their modern trash. The Disk Format tool will only have an option for drive letter with no way to select anything except NTFS and the UI will be big enough to navigate with my fist.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I get the feeling the Windows team is such a shambling mess they literally can't write software from scratch anymore. Every time they do a clean sheet redo the result is terrible, and improvements come extremely slowly.

It reminds me of that comment from an MS employee regarding that font install dialog from Windows 3.1 that stuck around until like Win7. He said that basically any change takes about a hundred man-hours of red tape to get it through the approval process. So devs tie themselves in knots to avoid fixing things that aren't their personal priority one, since they'd have to hold its hand through the entire nightmare approval process. If you tie yourself to something that won't help you advance, it becomes a digital albatross.

I'm using the latest version of Office and it's still using that exact same lovely Insert Symbol dialog from Word 95 that randomly breaks and decides it's not going to accept keyboard or mouse input for actually, you know, selecting the symbols. All you can do is jump up or down a full page at a time using the scrollbar and hope the cursor lands on the symbol you want.

At least since Word 2000 or so you can type in a hexcode in the bottom right and maybe guesstimate your way to the value of the symbol. But considering the symbols aren't at contiguous hexcodes, you have to play a game of 20 questions just to move halfway along a row.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm sorry but this owns hard. I'm changing a bunch of my drive icons

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vic posted:

C:/windows/media/town.mid

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone recommend a good image duplicate finder? There seem to be quite a few out there.

You probably want the 'recommend me a tiny app thread.'

But you probably want the tiny app "Anti-Twin".

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Explorer tabs are a game changer. I might finally upgrade for that reason alone.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Too bad explorer tabs are half-baked. They’ve promised it for years and we finally get it but it’s not all there yet. Hopefully it improves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't even used those tabs yet. Mostly it seems more convenient to have multiple windows open in case I want to move something around or compare stuff

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wake me for their half-assed attempt at 2-pane explorer windows.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The fact that you can't move tabs from window to window makes the whole thing just useless.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah i just discovered that. weird thing to gently caress up since it's a staple web browser feature.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

doctorfrog posted:

Wake me for their half-assed attempt at 2-pane explorer windows.

win+left
win+right

viola!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just don’t really understand why you’d go through the trouble of rewriting the UI stuff from scratch only for it to remain a painstaking process to add basic features to

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone recommend a good image duplicate finder? There seem to be quite a few out there.

Used VisiPics a few weeks ago. Worked well, if dated looking.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vic posted:

What's the heart behind a set of venetian blinds?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

~Coxy posted:

When you're trying to hide your intense game of MS Hearts from your boss

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

Explorer tabs are a game changer. I might finally upgrade for that reason alone.

If that's ever been something you wanted, you've always been able to get it with third party software like directory opus (although admittedly it costs a lot)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

~Coxy posted:

Wow, that's the icon for Extra! which was a terminal emulation program. :corsair:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Timbs posted:

I just don’t really understand why you’d go through the trouble of rewriting the UI stuff from scratch only for it to remain a painstaking process to add basic features to

I doubt technical difficulty is the main issue.

~Coxy posted:

I think it's supposed to be an interlaced image loading in?? Not sure what that has to do with terminals, assuming Dick Trauma is right

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 7, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

So is a search window that doesn't obstruct the content and keyboard shortcuts that work, but one thing at a time.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I doubt technical difficulty is the main issue.

I think there's a chance it could be.

I bet there's a really good chance something like explorer is still 99% some 30 year old C code. I feel like anyone really *great* at software development wants to be as far away from writing GUI's as possible.

Would love to read an article or blog about this sorta thing if anyone has one. Dave's garage on youtube is pretty fun.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bobua posted:

I think there's a chance it could be.

I bet there's a really good chance something like explorer is still 99% some 30 year old C code. I feel like anyone really *great* at software development wants to be as far away from writing GUI's as possible.

Would love to read an article or blog about this sorta thing if anyone has one. Dave's garage on youtube is pretty fun.

Raymond Chen's blog used to be great for all sorts of weird Windows stuff as well as turbonerd coding details. I haven't checked recently but he's still posting:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20221108-36/?p=107367
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20221109-00/?p=107373

I still remember this one by Joel about replicating a Lotus bug in Excel https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2006/06/16/my-first-billg-review/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bobua posted:

The way the Shell is constructed, I think it's pretty likely it has been piecemeal replaced and none of the remaining code will date back to Windows 95. But yes I will second reading Raymond Chen's blog, you can find lots of articles talking about the construction of Explorer and the Shell for Windows 95 and the concessions and design choices made back then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You can't make the Start menu any bigger, right? Would be nice to fit more icons on screen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are some system links hardcoded to open edge, whatever your default browser is?

Like "My Feed" in widgets? (And please tell me there's a quick way to disable all the news items, without disabling widgets altogether)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 10, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cool feature that I think wasn't in 10, you can adjust volume by scrolling when hovering over the system tray volume icon.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

You can't make the Start menu any bigger, right? Would be nice to fit more icons on screen.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Rinkles posted:

Are some system links hardcoded to open edge, whatever your default browser is?

Like "My Feed" in widgets? (And please tell me there's a quick way to disable all the news items, without disabling widgets altogether)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. For a while they were dancing on the edge of another antitrust lawsuit by practically locking people into Edge, and they still push it really hard.

Rinkles posted:

Cool feature that I think wasn't in 10, you can adjust volume by scrolling when hovering over the system tray volume icon.

Not sure about this one and not currently on a Windows machine, although I know clicking the volume icon in 10 lets you scroll to adjust the volume

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Rinkles posted:

That's great! But I tend to adjust per app and leave system volume at 75% (I use headphone amp or speaker knobs)

One of my biggest pet peeves is not allowing arrow keys or whatever on a slider, mouse cursor only, also gives you numbers like 80.25

I don't enjoy call of duty anymore but I've tried the new free one with a few friends and their sliders appear mouse only, I guess I could change them with the controller too though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wish I'd taken a screen shot of my start menu before upgrading, because I don't recall everything.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Best I've found is reducing the number of recommendations

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is pretty petty, but Windows animations seemed to be locked to 60fps. It doesn't really bother me besides the taskbar hide. You can disable animations, but I mostly like them.

e:actually the minimize animation from fullscreen is also quite choppy.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 10, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I have discovered my new least favorite Windows "feature". The "Office Key" they're so proudly touting is just the hyperkey (control+shift+alt+win) which means you can't use it for your own purposes

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Buff Hardback posted:

I have discovered my new least favorite Windows "feature". The "Office Key" they're so proudly touting is just the hyperkey (control+shift+alt+win) which means you can't use it for your own purposes

What's this Office Key? I've never heard of it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hooah posted:

What's this Office Key? I've never heard of it.

Press control+alt+shift+win and be prompted to install the office 365 app it’s super cool and neat

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

https://gist.github.com/darylwright/f3272846650b28906550a0454d7f4305

Or

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Classes\ms-officeapp\Shell\Open\Command /t REG_SZ /d rundll32

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Kalman posted:

https://gist.github.com/darylwright/f3272846650b28906550a0454d7f4305

Or

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Classes\ms-officeapp\Shell\Open\Command /t REG_SZ /d rundll32

Yeah I'll probably have to do that (or just use the meh key). It's annoying that while you can free up the hyper key, you have to get Explorer to unbind all the actual combos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there no way to delete music from the Media Player once it's been added? I have a duplicate album and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't mind the new 11 asthetics. Pretty cool. I do mind all these odd background crap they are doing in the OS. Oh well its Pro/GPE or bust for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Buff Hardback posted:

Press control+alt+shift+win and be prompted to install the office 365 app it’s super cool and neat

Ahh, ok, that does ring a bell. Luckily for me I never have a need to push that many keys at once.