Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda like the composition, I just wish it was orchestrated differently. It has zero oomph or momentum, it just kinda meekly shows up and then fades out.

It’s the same problem I have with the Picard and Disco themes. You’re a show about people flying in impossible ships seeing even more impossible places. Your theme should be appropriately bombastic, put some loving energy into it.

Jeff Russo is a talented musician. He is not a particularly great composer and I do not like how his work on Discovery and Picard is dictating current-era Trek music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tiberius Christ posted:

The Emerald Chain are fun villains

It was such a cool scene when the Star Fleet admiral turned down the Emerald Chain's offer because it was the wrong thing to do, what a great setup for further stories in the future!

Oh.

Oh I see.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, if you are doing a Star Trek show, maybe you should pay attention of the 50+ years of the lore.

Especially if it leaves a plot hole the size of a galaxy in your new narrative.

Like... how the Federation suddenly has a CIA in DS9? The department that seems to both betray all Federation principles that the series has been about so far?

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Jeff Russo is a talented musician. He is not a particularly great composer and I do not like how his work on Discovery and Picard is dictating current-era Trek music.

Which is odd because his Strange New Worlds theme is a decent compromise between old Trek and new Trek, even if it is aping huge chunks of prior themes and melodies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just reached the end of Prodigy's first (half) season. It's turned out to be a really fun show! I was genuinely hooked by the "how the hell are they going to get out of this?" situation in 'A Moral Star', and they didn't cheat it - the win was deserved. (Dumping the insane Diviner alone on his own asteroid didn't seem a very Starfleet thing to do, mind, however highly it ranked on the poetic justice scale.)

Prodigy's mere existence, never mind actually being good, does beg the question of why anyone would think a Starfleet Academy show is even needed, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twincityhacker posted:

Like... how the Federation suddenly has a CIA in DS9? The department that seems to both betray all Federation principles that the series has been about so far?

Section 31 is worse than the CIA.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, if you are doing a Star Trek show, maybe you should pay attention of the 50+ years of the lore.

Especially if it leaves a plot hole the size of a galaxy in your new narrative.

"BuT wE caN't haMStrInG tHe wRitEr's cReaTiVitY wItH cOnFusIng cAnOn!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Well, warrant officers. All in all a solid compromise, and it gets them on the Voyager-A for the rescue mission.

I don't understand the idea of making them warrant officers when making them midshipmen has better naval precedent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always assumed the magnetic field that contains the singularity for romulan ships was powered by... Dilithium

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A.o.D. posted:

I don't understand the idea of making them warrant officers when making them midshipmen has better naval precedent.

Starfleet does Warrant Officers, but they don't do midshipmen. Besides, midshipmen are apprentice officers and that'd be effectively skipping the Academy altogether to put them on the officer track. That'd be worse than jumping the line to put them in the academy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Janeway saw these kids show up and thousands of people died, of course she's going to fast track being their mentor, some of these kids will be captains before the Lower Decks crew

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The writer pointed out on Twitter that they didn't say they were becoming warrant officers right away, they said they were joining warrant-officer-training. Basically joining what I'm assuming is an established program of WO training that happens directly on ships, and then later they'll move out of that and to the Academy and go through the traditional admittance process. This is just a way to get them into training straight on ships right away.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 6, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Twincityhacker posted:

The Federation being Space America and the occasional Hard Men Making Hard Choices You Need Me On That Wall bit is the most regrettable part of DS9.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eej posted:

All this Picard talk just reminded me of the plot point that Starfleet Command had been compromised by the Tal Shiar since before TNG started.

Yes, but that is completely unsurprising. Being sneaky and suspicious is the romulan's whole thing. Of course they have spies in starfleet working their way up the ranks.

Romulans being closely related to vulcans is a bonus, but given the level of medical disguise available in DS9 we can assume every empire has a few flawlessly disguised spies in each of the other empires. Plus the traditional kind of spy where you turn a guy already in that system with bribes and blackmail. And then there's all the telepathic spies who only need to get a job at the local bar or barber shop to hoover up state secrets, and possibly plant telepathic suggestions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

The writer pointed out on Twitter that they didn't say they were becoming warrant officers right away, they said they were joining warrant-officer-training. Basically joining what I'm assuming is an established program of WO training that happens directly on ships, and then later they'll move out of that and to the Academy and go through the traditional admittance process. This is just a way to get them into training straight on ships right away.

Honestly most of the kids probably don't qualify for a highschool diploma, never mind entrance to starfleet academy. They weren't being educated on Tars Lamora. They all have skills but they also have huge gaps in their education.

Rok: entirely self taught. Good foundation in science and engineering, but did she ever bother to learn music, literature, art, civics, etc.? Can she even hold a violin recital?

Jankom Pog: a mechanic playing at being an engineer. He had whatever education his people gave their orphans, but presumably that is all over a century out of date.

Dal: Lucky to be literate. Raised by a swindler before being sold as a child slave.

Gwyn: Best cultural education of the bunch, but with deliberate gaps and a real weird slant.

Zero: Apparently an adult, maybe? Raised in a hive mind that was able to run a starship, so they have some education, but extremely alien. They could probably get into academy on their own merits as a super cool alien because the federation loves weird aliens.

Murf: ??? May or may not be sapient. Presumably the federation knows if Mellanoid slime worms are sapient and what their life cycle is supposed to look like. Education uncertain since as yet he has no way to communicate.

Wesley loving Crusher failed to get early admissions to the academy. Do we really think any of these guys could do better on the entrance exam than him? Maybe Zero.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

It wasn't so much that the Burn caused the collapse of the Federation, so much as it was the diwindling supply of dilithium that was causing the collapse of the Federation. The Federation was already on the decline when the Burn happened. It's hard to have goverment that spans planets when there's very few ships that can go from one planet to another. Add in the fact that the burn destroys 99% of all warp capable ships, now there is no one moving around AND now there is no one repairing the subspace relay network so now it's impossible to even communicate between planets.

During the finale of season four, Ni'Var is mentioned to have only 80 warp capable ships. And this is after dilithium has started to be delivered thoughout the Federation again, so the number of warp capable ships have gone up.

DISCO has problems, absolutely. ( It's 1000 years later and the only other non-dilthium warp engine design is the Ni'Var warp gates? ) But the writers did put some thought into what's going on in the 32nd century, as much as this thread likes to pretend they didn't.

This is what I mean by the big disaster only happening because they need it to and by having the Federation involve act foolishly. Stop ignoring all the other travel methods and fuels discovered before, or keep ignoring them and find or create some new ones, make transporters of more fartherful, meet some new friends whose gaping alien maws function as wormholes. Point being, they need to make them ignore solutions and progress and alternate solutions so that things can be as bad as they wanted the mto be but because they are working backwards it's not very convincing.

I think Picard pulled some of the same stuff with planet evacuation and mars attacks stuff, but more to invent some random new pathos for one old man instead of a crew needing a new setting and itch to be the saviour of something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Federation being Space America and the occasional Hard Men Making Hard Choices You Need Me On That Wall bit is the most regrettable part of DS9.

At least DS9 unequivocally rejected the entire concept of Section 31 as being bad from the get-go, without any deliberation or waffling over it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

On the other hand it set up the entire concept for Prodigy...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How do you figure?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

How do you figure?

Prodigy leans heavily into the Federation as the idealized version of America that most Americans picture when they're told to think of America; the land of immigrants, "home of the free", the bastion of liberty standing against tyranny and oppression, a paradise you can try and escape to for a shot at a better life no matter how dire your current lovely circumstances.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

/\/\/\
Also that

MikeJF posted:

How do you figure?

The kids were enslaved by a guy who traveled to the past to wreck the Federation because the Federation destroyed his home. They destroyed it because they are flawed and not as perfect as they say they are. They also discriminate against Augments and won't let them join Starfleet. Their high and mighty ideals as shown in TNG, aren't all they are cracked up to be, and deserve examination and criticism.

Put simply, without DS9 showing the imperfections, there's no way Prodigy would have come straight out of TNG.

Hard men have to make hard choices. We can't interfere in that society tearing itself apart because of us. We can't allow a dirty Augment in Starfleet.

Sad thing is, Pike made the exact opposite decision in the pilot of SNW and owned up to the chaos his reveal caused and helped that planet talk it through. And presumably they'll let Una stay, but those lessons aren't permanently learned in 100 years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MikeJF posted:

At least DS9 unequivocally rejected the entire concept of Section 31 as being bad from the get-go, without any deliberation or waffling over it.

Yeah, S31 is fine in DS9, it's stuff that waffles or makes them a bigger part of the Federation that's the problem.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, DS9 rejects the concept of Section 31 as good in the S31 episodes... but the characters basically accept it as a necessary evil - nobody is resigning or going to the press over it. Bashir is pissed off at being used in his trip to Romulus, but he isn't writing any emails to the Romulan Senate letting them know they have a traitor. And in non-S31 episodes, In the Pale Moonlight exists and is basically full endorsement of the idea that there are times where you have to burn your decency for the greater good.

What DS9 does right is that whenever it addresses a Hard Men Making Hard Choices You Need Me On That Wall story the characters making the Hard Choice absolutely do not feel good about or celebrate that choice. Bashir is aghast at what he's tricked into. In the Pale Moonlight is a story about Sisko accepting responsibility for what he asked Garak to do (rather than mid-episode where he is trying to lie to himself that he has clean hands). Garak is a real-deal spy and the show is very clear that that lifestyle does not lead to being a happy or well-adjusted person.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Honestly most of the kids probably don't qualify for a highschool diploma, never mind entrance to starfleet academy. They weren't being educated on Tars Lamora. They all have skills but they also have huge gaps in their education.

Rok: entirely self taught. Good foundation in science and engineering, but did she ever bother to learn music, literature, art, civics, etc.? Can she even hold a violin recital?

Jankom Pog: a mechanic playing at being an engineer. He had whatever education his people gave their orphans, but presumably that is all over a century out of date.

Dal: Lucky to be literate. Raised by a swindler before being sold as a child slave.

Gwyn: Best cultural education of the bunch, but with deliberate gaps and a real weird slant.

Zero: Apparently an adult, maybe? Raised in a hive mind that was able to run a starship, so they have some education, but extremely alien. They could probably get into academy on their own merits as a super cool alien because the federation loves weird aliens.

Murf: ??? May or may not be sapient. Presumably the federation knows if Mellanoid slime worms are sapient and what their life cycle is supposed to look like. Education uncertain since as yet he has no way to communicate.

Wesley loving Crusher failed to get early admissions to the academy. Do we really think any of these guys could do better on the entrance exam than him? Maybe Zero.

I'm sure that Janeway will cover the gaps in their education as she molds their young minds into being her fanatical followers to help her conquer the future, er, trains them to be part of Starfleet.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tired: prodigy is a voyager sequel
Wired: prodigy is an evil admiral prequel

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

At least as far as Starfleet Intelligence goes, pretty much every state had at least some intelligence gathering organization, and we don't see Starfleet Intelligence do anything all that bad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Make them Acting Ensigns and give them each a Wesley sweater with the three stripes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Powered Descent posted:

Make them Acting Ensigns and give them each a Wesley sweater with the three stripes.

It took me way to long to realize that was what was up with that uniform. Like we're talking 25 years.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

It took me way to long to realize that was what was up with that uniform. Like we're talking 25 years.

Wait.

What was up with that uniform?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
They haven't decided on a path yet so they have all 3 colours on them?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wait.

What was up with that uniform?

It has 3 stripes, red, yellow, and blue for each uniform division

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Khanstant posted:

This is what I mean by the big disaster only happening because they need it to and by having the Federation involve act foolishly. Stop ignoring all the other travel methods and fuels discovered before, or keep ignoring them and find or create some new ones, make transporters of more fartherful, meet some new friends whose gaping alien maws function as wormholes. Point being, they need to make them ignore solutions and progress and alternate solutions so that things can be as bad as they wanted the mto be but because they are working backwards it's not very convincing.

You're complaining that the goverment being foolish about something that creates the perfect conditions for seemingly impossible disaster that destroys the goverment is *unrealistic*?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pik_d posted:

Yea I just thought they stuck him in a rainbow shirt.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

You're complaining that the government being foolish about something that creates the perfect conditions for seemingly impossible disaster that destroys the goverment is *unrealistic*?

That doesn't seem to be a government thing so much as a culture/society thing. Societies tend to use the things that work for them until those things either stop working or they happen to find something that (in their collective opinion) unambiguously works better. Dilithium works well and seems to be fairly plentiful so that's what a lot of Star Trek societies use. Apparently the Romulans use some kind of singularity/black hole powered engine which seems like something other societies would decide is something that can go really badly wrong really quickly. in ways that dilithium probably won't.

I admit I haven't been following Discovery all that much, but as far as I can tell, seeking alternatives to dilithium seems less about "we should find alternatives to fossil fuels" than "we should find alternatives to solar energy in case the Sun turns off." Except whaddaya know, some weird psychic kid screamed and turned the Sun off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

pik_d posted:

I didn't realize this until probably a couple of decades after TNG ended.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Powered Descent posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vavs9gz.mp4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Powered Descent posted:

They never point it on in the show, i only learned about it when listening to a Great Gen episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

You're complaining that the goverment being foolish about something that creates the perfect conditions for seemingly impossible disaster that destroys the goverment is *unrealistic*?

Unrealistic isn't a bad word if referring to our reality, but it's a fictional reality whose core fantasy is a competent pro-citizen government and not-military organization going around being really good at solving problems

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I knew this in 1988 because I was a regular reader of Starlog :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I figured it out after like two episodes and thought it was neat.