Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Am I missing something or does Crossfire have a disgustingly low pop cap that can only be slightly upgraded through HQ tech upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
For such a starved genre of video game it's surprising to see such snobbiness toward new entries which aren't made by studios that sexually abuse their employees and cover it up. even on a free weekend ffs

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Crossfire Legion is not at all a C&C clone, it's a more accessible Starcraft clone, which must be my least favourite subgenre of RTS. As a kid I remember playing Starcraft and then playing the first C&C and immediately thinking, "Oh, this game must be newer, it's far more adavanced. I mean units can move and shoot...They can miss each other!"

Anyway my thoughts on CL remain the same as the last couple times I tried it out: it's pretty dull but something I might have been more interested in if it played more like Zero Hour or Company of Heroes or Blackbird's own Deserts of Kharak. Oh well, guess I'll just keep waiting for COH3 and HW3 and if you actually want to check out a decent C&C clone, Global Conflagration tends to run playtests pretty frequently.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Having beaten the single player campaign and played a few 4v4 comp stomps in multiplayer, the game borrows from a bunch of other RTSes. It has:
  • "Draft your army composition before playing the match" from Tooth and Tail
  • Resource collection from 8-bit Invaders/Purple War/Brood War
  • Unit selection and spell casting from 8-bit Hordes/Warcraft 3
  • "Select your special abilities for the match" from Company of Heroes and C&C Generals and Dawn of War 3
  • A hilariously bad campaign narrative (but decent cinematics) from Deserts of Kharak

edit: ^^^ wishlisted that one you linked above thanks forum poster

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 11, 2022

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's still a pretty poo poo game op
dying genre or not

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Deakul posted:

It's still a pretty poo poo game op
dying genre or not

maybe you just dont like rtses

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

OctaMurk posted:

maybe you just dont like rtses

gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

For such a starved genre of video game it's surprising to see such snobbiness toward new entries which aren't made by studios that sexually abuse their employees and cover it up. even on a free weekend ffs

There's not really a shortage of bad RTS games

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

desert pf kharaks story seemed perfectly fine for a homeworld rts idk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Having beaten the single player campaign and played a few 4v4 comp stomps in multiplayer, the game borrows from a bunch of other RTSes. It has:
  • "Draft your army composition before playing the match" from Tooth and Tail
  • Resource collection from 8-bit Invaders/Purple War/Brood War
  • Unit selection and spell casting from 8-bit Hordes/Warcraft 3
  • "Select your special abilities for the match" from Company of Heroes and C&C Generals and Dawn of War 3
  • A hilariously bad campaign narrative (but decent cinematics) from Deserts of Kharak

edit: ^^^ wishlisted that one you linked above thanks forum poster

To say a good thing, I thought the army customization was neat and there are quite a few options now. But again, the execution just lets it down because of the type of game it is. Like, the high tech race has a selection of these big, cool looking mechs that still just stand and shoot from a couple meters away and go down quickly to swarms of generic infantry. I'm rarely a competitive guy when it comes to RTS, give me the flash, the spectacle, the weight of combat, it's all just kind of missing here.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2022

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
crossfire legion gameplay is enjoyable, the polish is great, the graphics good

lack of offline skirmish, a really short campaign, and a practically non existent mp community altogether make it a bad value tho imo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fuligin posted:

desert pf kharaks story seemed perfectly fine for a homeworld rts idk

Yeah I liked it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm just looking forward to playing COH3 on my PS5.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I thought dok had a perfectly okay campaign?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Dok storyline was good imo i dont see whats bad about it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol if you still have that crossfire game installed you can still play the campaign by launching from the folder.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Lol if you still have that crossfire game installed you can still play the campaign by launching from the folder.

Son of a bitch I already uninstalled it :v

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Northgard just dropped a new single player campaign DLC as a sequel to their original one with a new faction with new building models: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/466560/view/3620361554186868976

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Looks like they're making a new Men of War: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1128860/Men_of_War_II/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
COH3 beta is out next week, as per the Steam page, it'll feature all four factions and all 12 battlegroups available at launch.
https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1610698414521724929?cxt=HHwWgsDR3ZLrrNosAAAA

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is the beta open to anyone?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
yeah, just req it through Steam

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mordja posted:

COH3 beta is out next week, as per the Steam page, it'll feature all four factions and all 12 battlegroups available at launch.
https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1610698414521724929?cxt=HHwWgsDR3ZLrrNosAAAA

This is live now. Just request access here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677280/Company_of_Heroes_3/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
So what's people impression? I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet so I am basing things from the deep dives they've released.

It seems the maps are somewhat smaller, more like DoW2 size. TTK is often very fast, at least when compares to COH2. I feel the graphic is much more subdue in CoH3. A mortar shell explosion doesn't throw up a 20 feet high dust column, MG burst impact isn't as huge as before, less tracers flying around, so basically not as "cinematic" as the previous title, as a stylistic choice. The game also looks brighter, feels like there's not as much shadow and contrast used.

There's blood pooling now, but corpses disappear so fast it kind of just leave a lot of pools of blood all over. Zooming level was as closed up as ever. I remember watching a show match between some youtubers and one of them is using the tactical view constantly to the point of annoyance...which I feel is an obvious sign that the zoom level is too closed up to manage your forces.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 12, 2023

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Just got into the play test, will post trip report later this weekend

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pedro0930 posted:

So what's people impression?

It's kind of crazy to me how similar it feels to COH1 which came out... Jesus, 17 years ago.

Very similar gameplay and even the graphics seem similar (but I'm probably remembering the original game with a lot of nostalgia).

I guess it's the same old thing of wishing the RTS genre would evolve a bit rather than repeating conventions established in the 90s and 2000s.

pedro0930 posted:

Zooming level was as closed up as ever. I remember watching a show match between some youtubers and one of them is using the tactical view constantly to the point of annoyance...which I feel is an obvious sign that the zoom level is too closed up to manage your forces.

Yeah this is going to stop me from playing I think. At this point I am very used to navigating around in strategy games by zooming way out and then zooming back in where I want to be, and it drives me crazy that I can't do this.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

fuf posted:

Yeah this is going to stop me from playing I think. At this point I am very used to navigating around in strategy games by zooming way out and then zooming back in where I want to be, and it drives me crazy that I can't do this.

It's completely insane to me that this wasn't the automatic standard for every strategy game post-SupCom.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
COH ran like a slideshow for me. I don't understand why, as my computer meets the recommended specs.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008

Tiger Crazy posted:

COH ran like a slideshow for me. I don't understand why, as my computer meets the recommended specs.

I had this problem with the old test alpha - it was running off my integrated GPU by default so check it's set to run off your dedicated.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Just got into the play test, will post trip report later this weekend

Trip report: game is good and fun! It's like Iron Harvest but less personality and no hero units. It seems like CoH 2: Definitive Edition (and interestingly it's the same game engine as AoE 4). Seems like they dropped the 4X Civilization stuff from their playtest last year, which is good because I didn't like it anyway.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Trip report: game is good and fun! It's like Iron Harvest but less personality and no hero units. It seems like CoH 2: Definitive Edition (and interestingly it's the same game engine as AoE 4). Seems like they dropped the 4X Civilization stuff from their playtest last year, which is good because I didn't like it anyway.

A) The 4X campaign map stuff was good, actually
B) It's still in, it's one of the campaigns

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the 4x stuff was campaign only.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's going on with the performance in Spellforce 3? My laptop has an RX 6700S GPU and a 6900HS CPU yet it struggles to hit more than 50-55 FPS at 1440p in the first map even when I crank the settings way down.

Is this only going to get worse as the game goes on?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Can anyone recommend a single player game similar to Ultimate General: Civil War? Slow moving RTS, almost no micro, with a heavy emphasis on formation, position, and resource management. Total War is too plodding and stuff like CoH is too micro-heavy for my taste.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Can anyone recommend a single player game similar to Ultimate General: Civil War? Slow moving RTS, almost no micro, with a heavy emphasis on formation, position, and resource management. Total War is too plodding and stuff like CoH is too micro-heavy for my taste.

Regiments, maybe. Its cold war era but definitely not micro heavy

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

that does sound like Regiments imo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Petroglyph's great war has been the highlight of the demos i've played, i think. It knows what it is and works for that. I can't say i'd care for it as a multiplayer game.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

beer gas canister posted:

This is exactly the kind of game I want too and it's a shame there aren't more candidates

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
The completely out there answer to this is Creeper World. Its as slow as you like, you position your towers and they just fight, and then you move them up in a kind of leapfrogging system, taking, holding and pushing out, with holding more territory meaning more energy, but also having a small amount of supply lines involved (towers need ammo, ammo comes in wires and while towers have an ammo stockpile, you are going to need to rejoin them before they run out). Also uses a streaming economy so running out of energy means no more ammo!

Doesn't fit the implied historical requirement though, but if you want to go out of history I love creeper world and its my favourite relaxing rts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Creeper World owns. All of them. Any of them. They’re all amazing.