Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

So I planned on bucketing in water because I wanted to grow a cavemoss floor for an underground park, I dug out a floor above the park and dug some 1 tile channels that I've been designating as ponds and everything has been working:

Except I really want the moss for aesthetics, not muddy moss. Is there a way that I can remove the mud from a tile once I get it converted to moss?

Paved road will remove mud, if there's fungus it converts to sand and if there's just mud it stays as stone

so if you wait for all fungus and pave all of it, it'll be sand initially but the fungus should grow back mud-free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Appoda posted:

Armor and clothes also get damaged when they're struck or penetrated, so if they've been in a few scraps against similar-or-better gear and there's no replacements, they'll have no choice but to wear dinged up, rusty armor that's full of holes. I think there's also some issue with "armor replaces clothing, always wear armor" that leads to them never changing the clothes they have underneath.

At least you can melt worn-out armor down to get some of the material back. Which you could do something similar with clothes -- either add a "mend clothes" option to the clothier, or turn it back into cloth to re-sew into new clothing.

Does this apply to training too? they've done nothing but spar and their gear is all screwed up except for weapons and shields.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Items stored in stockpiles with refuse storing enabled can rot away. Yes, the tutorial specifically sets you up to do this to yourself.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lvl 39

lvl 40

This basically how I do it too, though there is still is the chance for your dwarf to crisp up.

As is tradition.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today I learned that putting a windmill over a set of stairs doe snot, in fact, block those stairs

on the other hand, I have almost enough hydra skull totems to display one next to every coffin

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I may have ignored a small rat infestation until it turned into a very big rat infestation. The aftermath was very messy.

I think there were around 100 of them. Judging by the amount of spears I had lying around. That hallway was so effective that I doubled its length and used their own spears for new traps. That will show them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't even know what to do with it at this point.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Does this apply to training too? they've done nothing but spar and their gear is all screwed up except for weapons and shields.

No, sparring shouldn't damage armor at all; I don't think dwarves can even hurt themselves in sparring sessions. It's probably what resistentialism is saying; refuse stockpiles (or stockpiles with "everything" and refuse enabled) cause anything that can deteriorate to wear at 4x rate, or something. Useful for getting rid of corpses, bad for your clothes.

Though honestly I didn't know armor could get wear outside of damage in conflict.

itry posted:

I may have ignored a small rat infestation until it turned into a very big rat infestation. The aftermath was very messy.

I think there were around 100 of them. Judging by the amount of spears I had lying around. That hallway was so effective that I doubled its length and used their own spears for new traps. That will show them.

I did one of these and while it was effective, it was just before I knew about the cavern invader bug and it corrupted my save. :( Mine was about 3-4x as long and they still filled up every square.

Appoda fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 7, 2023

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Bad Munki posted:

Congratulations, you're new king will be along shortly

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Congratulations, you're new king will be along shortly

Oh that was ages ago.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bad Munki posted:

Put it on a display case in the mess hall?

Edit:

Appoda posted:

I did one of these and while it was effective, it was just before I knew about the cavern invader bug and it corrupted my save. :( Mine was about 3-4x as long and they still filled up every square.

That sucks. Looks like it was patched a few days ago.

itry fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 7, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly I think that one of the things that could really improve the core gameplay loop at this point is a trading overhaul, making it not trivial to buy out everything that isn't completely pointless. Make the dwarves come with the finished goods of industries that are very annoying to set up, like pearlash or soap or steel. Other races come with things you can't even make at all, and are priced knowing that you have to buy from them or go without. There's a bit of that with elves selling tame wild animals but they're so cheap it never matters. Generating wealth is something you do more to fill the idle hands of dwarves than because it's worthwhile at all

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

itry posted:

Edit:

Wait, would that actually work? Or would it rot? Because that sounds like a rad way to make the fanciest hall ever. Tiny dirt cave, meal of splendor on a flatish rock.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

itry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfZ6K098tI4

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

itry posted:

Edit:

Yep, I started the murder maze at exactly the wrong time. It's ok tho, that fort was eating poo poo FPS-wise (probably because of the hundreds of cave fishmen hanging out in my caverns :argh:) and I was going to put a pause on it for a while anyway.

Protip tho: dig out a north-south hallway on the left side of your murder maze and carve fortifications on the side facing the maze. Station or set your marksdwarf squad to patrol that hallway and they can shoot invaders for some quick level gains. Just let them pet a dog or something later; they're all gonna be traumatized after seeing a hundred dead ratmen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

This basically how I do it too, though there is still is the chance for your dwarf to crisp up.

As is tradition.

There's a safer way to do it if you can reach the top level of the volcano's magma:

From the top level of magma, dig a staircase down, 1 tile away from where you'll break the volcano wall. Dig staircases down all the way to the floor below where your smelter will be. make sure that the magma channel completely enclosed in rock/wall until it reaches the bottom floor

Then go back up to the top (so you are digging on the level above the magma's surface) and Channel a piece of volcano wall out so that it flows into the staircase.

Since you're now digging the volcano wall out from above, your dwarf won't burn up!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nessus posted:

It could be. That's the kind of poo poo those idiots would do. Try making like three extra (in case a couple walk off) and see if you can do it

somehow it wasn't buckets. I'm going to ignore it an assume its just a stupid labor thing that is pulling them away.

meanwhile, my military dwarves have beaten a giant hedgehog unconscious, overexerting themselves until they themselves are unconscious. none of my idiots will grab them to the hospital for some reason or another....

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's a safer way to do it if you can reach the top level of the volcano's magma:

From the top level of magma, dig a staircase down, 1 tile away from where you'll break the volcano wall. Dig staircases down all the way to the floor below where your smelter will be. make sure that the magma channel completely enclosed in rock/wall until it reaches the bottom floor

Then go back up to the top (so you are digging on the level above the magma's surface) and Channel a piece of volcano wall out so that it flows into the staircase.

Since you're now digging the volcano wall out from above, your dwarf won't burn up!

Tradition

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i realized i need to find a second magma pit for corpses, unless skeletons can pass through floor bars

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Munki posted:

Wait, would that actually work? Or would it rot? Because that sounds like a rad way to make the fanciest hall ever. Tiny dirt cave, meal of splendor on a flatish rock.

Stockpiles are magic refrigerators as far as food on the ground is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if display pedestals fall into the same category

hbag posted:

i realized i need to find a second magma pit for corpses, unless skeletons can pass through floor bars

I'm like 80% sure bars and grates block all items but I keep forgetting to test it

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 7, 2023

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
You should be able to hook them up to a lever to retract/extend them, if something like that is feasible for the pit you're trying to make.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You can basically make one of those footpress trashcan things by combining a pressure plate with a hatch. I forget how it works exactly but I think the details are on the wiki

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

idk i mean the description for bars and grates literally says they let items through

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gnoman posted:

Mechanisms should be a subcategory of "furniture".

This loving game

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
For breaching magma I like to smooth the wall and then carve a fortification in it to let the magma through. The dwarf still gets to run away just fine and it has the added benefit of keeping out lava monsters.

I'm now two forts on. The last fort I did had an ettin living nearby and before the end of the first year she wandered inside my fort. I drafted every single dwarf in my fort and had them dogpile her all at once. They had axes and picks.

Every single dwarf died, and the ettin was covered in bruises. I hope she enjoys her new digs.

My next fort I embarked with 66 birds. Ten females and 1 male of each bird species. Why? hosed if I know. Anyway, my wagon spawned on a slope and was deconstructed automatically. This meant that none of my animals had a meeting area anymore and scattered to the four winds. It took an entire season to drag them inside the fort and pasture them in their nest gulags. Also, my dogs got into a fight with a yak and died while I was doing that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hbag posted:

idk i mean the description for bars and grates literally says they let items through

I love that it literally does but I never saw that because I default to looking at the wiki for games like this lol

quote:

It can be linked to a lever or pressure plate. Once linked, it works like a linked door which doesn't stop fluids, arrows or Miasma when closed.

A floor grate is similar to a floor or a closed floor hatch in that it can be walked upon and blocks creature and item movement between Z-levels

I really have to play with this now

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to know if a tile is a light or heavy aquifer? Is it the same throughout the layer?

Really frustrated with the aquifers going as deep as the 2nd cavern layer, but I can totally deal with a bunch of light aquifer down there. Just want cassiterite and Galena because my Baron likes lay pewter.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

itry posted:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Stockpiles are magic refrigerators as far as food on the ground is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if display pedestals fall into the same category

Update: Pedestals are not refrigerators

glad I put it on one behind a door just in case, the miasma looks very pretty on display like that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
mashing statues of the hydra that attacked me trying to get one of it being slain, and apparently when giant monster eat small wildlife, it gets recorded in the history books

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

okay well it seems like a human monster slayer will absolutely ignore burrow orders. :| time to try wall the dude up in the tavern before the next full moon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I really have to play with this now

accidentally confirmed, thanks for littering, dwarves

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Made a little cutaway plan for my next fortress. How's it look? I'm gonna put everything around a central staircase, with the main temple centered around the stairs so dwarves have to path through it to get to work. Hopefully that'll encourage them to actually take care of their praying needs.

I plan to make the workshops over a large area like this, with stairs at every corner leading to wide open storage spaces above and below:

For the surface, I'm gonna build above ground for style. Could be a good place for a secondary tavern, or a place to move it to once I get the glass industry going.

Not sure where I should put the graves. Might put it on the surface, with memorial headstones in the human style.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Update: Pedestals are not refrigerators

glad I put it on one behind a door just in case, the miasma looks very pretty on display like that

Can you also make it a stockpile?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was thinking my caverns were weirdly quiet, but I had just been too effective at keeping my dwarves safe from them. The instant I unlocked the door the have a little Fun cracking open an obsidian pillar, I got three simultaneous popups of invading Olm people

I'm a little surprised, actually. I didn't just ignore the cavern, I spent a ton of labor fencing off a huge chunk to use as farm and pasture, and put a ceiling over the whole thing. Obviously that means I was blocked off once the labor finished, but I got through the construction process undisturbed

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Mine was fairly benign too aside from the occasional giant bat or cave crocodile. Then like 40 cave fish men showed up. Then 80 more showed up while I was cleaning up the first 40. At some point I abandoned and locked off the cavern 'cause even with everything forbidden and everyone burrowed, a dozen dwarves at a time would look for reasons to path aaaaaall the way down to the bottom.

It probably has something to do with your level of wealth, or whatever.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Can you also make it a stockpile?

Nope, can't put a stockpile over constructed furniture

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Appoda posted:

Made a little cutaway plan for my next fortress. How's it look? I'm gonna put everything around a central staircase, with the main temple centered around the stairs so dwarves have to path through it to get to work. Hopefully that'll encourage them to actually take care of their praying needs.

I plan to make the workshops over a large area like this, with stairs at every corner leading to wide open storage spaces above and below:

For the surface, I'm gonna build above ground for style. Could be a good place for a secondary tavern, or a place to move it to once I get the glass industry going.

Not sure where I should put the graves. Might put it on the surface, with memorial headstones in the human style.

there's no room for doors on this workshop layout, so if you can't satisfy strange moods you may get insane dwarves interfering with your other citizens. i generally don't build doors around workshops but i always leave room for them in case a dwarf starts asking for shells and i'm not in a good position to provide. closing off a workshop is an easy way to mitigate consequences of a failed strange mood

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Has anyone had a bug where the game isn't recognizing that you have obsidian? I got a bunch from mining out HFS but no workshop can seem to recognize that I have it, even though the dwarves will haul it into a stockpile

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sankis posted:

Has anyone had a bug where the game isn't recognizing that you have obsidian? I got a bunch from mining out HFS but no workshop can seem to recognize that I have it, even though the dwarves will haul it into a stockpile

did you accidentally set it to not be used in the standing orders tab? You can choose which stones dwarves will use for mundane tasks. The usual point is deciding whether your flux stones are abundant enough to use in furniture or not but you might have accidentally unchecked obsidian or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I wonder if people who read this slab I stole will become necromancers?