Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
FTD is dogshit. Cisco should be ashamed to have rolled it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

fatman1683 posted:

Could you give some detail on your experience with it? I've never worked with Firepower, only the older ASAs, so I don't really know what to expect.

It’s extremely user hostile, it takes forever to get it all going after a power cycle, you may require a VM to run the administrative stuff, and it’s generally just a bad product in every respect. I’m going to rip it out someday because I can’t use it for anything that I wanted to because using any of the features requires me logging and loving with it instead of just being an overpriced router that can block inbound stuff I never look at or remember that I own

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Did you work with the ASA GUI? That was unpleasant and way behind the times even when it was new. The experience with FTD is still a decade behind in usability and navigation. The entire system is also 100% not designed for single deployments. The devices are not intended to be managed standalone and need a management server to get more than a fraction of the functionality out of them. There's also the whole EA microtransaction hell of every single function requiring it's own license, or pay them $Texas to not have to deal with that.

What are you looking to really do with it? If you're just doing simple home firewall stuff, then FTD is paying the price of a Ferrari for a Challenger that you have to try and drive from the trunk with sticks and string when all you need is a cheap reliable Mazda that you can use like a normal person. If you're looking for some advanced features, there's dozens of better choices actually designed for SOHO that you can use like a sane human being. FTD ain't it.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe they're better now, but the last time I dealt heavily with FTD, 4 or 5 years ago, they were extremely bad. I've never encountered more critical, enterprise-breaking bugs on a single platform than I did with FTD. These days the only thing I can recommend buying a Firepower is if you're running the ASA code on it, and you're doing this because you have to use AnyConnect instead of some other VPN client because of whatever reason.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

i am a moron posted:

It’s extremely user hostile, it takes forever to get it all going after a power cycle, you may require a VM to run the administrative stuff, and it’s generally just a bad product in every respect. I’m going to rip it out someday because I can’t use it for anything that I wanted to because using any of the features requires me logging and loving with it instead of just being an overpriced router that can block inbound stuff I never look at or remember that I own

That definitely does not sound like a good time, I appreciate the input.

Slickdrac posted:

What are you looking to really do with it? If you're just doing simple home firewall stuff, then FTD is paying the price of a Ferrari for a Challenger that you have to try and drive from the trunk with sticks and string when all you need is a cheap reliable Mazda that you can use like a normal person. If you're looking for some advanced features, there's dozens of better choices actually designed for SOHO that you can use like a sane human being. FTD ain't it.

Home firewall stuff is part of it, but I'm also going to be setting up a colo for some other services and want to be able to do site-to-site VPN, QoS, stateful packet inspection, that sort of thing, most of which is beyond the capabilities of Ubiquiti gear, so I'm looking for the next step up.

I've looked into Palo Alto and Fortinet a little, but haven't found anything that immediately strikes me as The Thing that would be ideal for this use case. If the Firepower models are this much of a clownshow, then I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Most Cisco stuff relating to firewalls is fairly poo poo, and people put up with it at work. You don't deserve to voluntarily inflict it on your home life.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fatman1683 posted:

That definitely does not sound like a good time, I appreciate the input.

Home firewall stuff is part of it, but I'm also going to be setting up a colo for some other services and want to be able to do site-to-site VPN, QoS, stateful packet inspection, that sort of thing, most of which is beyond the capabilities of Ubiquiti gear, so I'm looking for the next step up.

I've looked into Palo Alto and Fortinet a little, but haven't found anything that immediately strikes me as The Thing that would be ideal for this use case. If the Firepower models are this much of a clownshow, then I'm definitely open to suggestions.

If you're home labbing then look at an Opnsense appliance. Or run TNSR or RouterOS on your own hardware.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're home labbing then look at an Opnsense appliance. Or run TNSR or RouterOS on your own hardware.

Thanks, I used pfSense years ago and it looks like Opnsense has come along way. I'll start digging around in that ecosystem. Thanks for the advice!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
does asdm still require java 6?

ASA products are trash. buy actually anything else. I'd whitebox pfsense or something in production before I ever use an ASA again.

but the real answer is just buy a fortigate

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Methanar posted:

Would the Fortigate SD-WAN implementation be a suitable substitute for an old-school site-to-site VPN? I'm not all that familiar with software-defined networking in general.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Would the Fortigate SD-WAN implementation be a suitable substitute for an old-school site-to-site VPN? I'm not all that familiar with software-defined networking in general.

FortiGate can still do traditional policy and interface mode IPsec tunnels without SD-WAN or OCVPN.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

FortiGate can still do traditional policy and interface mode IPsec tunnels without SD-WAN or OCVPN.

Ok thanks!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

FTD is probably still bad but the terrible version (around 6.2 I think) is where the main bad rep came from iirc, it was a terrible merger of ASA and SourceFire code bases and also needed to preserve compatibility with ASA appliances augmented with an FP module, which was the worst of all worlds. They've done a lot to improve it since, and mainly went from 6.x to 7 in an attempt to get rid of the bad name. Appliances are now also FTD only, ASA is over and most features FTD was missing compared to it should now have been implemented natively. Whatever is still missing, e.g. WebVPN, is just not coming back.
Was wondering, why does Check Point hardly ever come up in FW discussions? The vibe I get from them as a company is similar to Cisco; been around for a long time and not as agile in their main business, but still a solid option. What disqualifies them?

Leandros fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 25, 2022

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Checkpoint sucks too. Palo or fortinet only gang

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
They're expensive and I found basically everything they do to be worse in comparison to Palo Alto. I don't know if it annoys anyone else, but they went all in on this 'policy layer' setup that's incredibly cumbersome and is different from every other firewall. If you wanted to do application/URL filtering, you'd have to have a policy on one layer that allowed port 443 to any destination, then other policies on another layer to do the app/URL filtering. They were different rule sets in the UI. They only just started to unpick that to allow a typical policy setup.

We also had random things go wrong with them, and the deployment had been setup by their number one support partner in Europe, who were basically useless. The entire deployment was overly complicated and seemed like it only served to sell twice as many VMs as was needed. It was like someone had looked at the Azure cloud adoption framework diagrams and had no idea how any of it was supposed to be piece together, just that there was 4 VMs.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sepist posted:

Checkpoints are infuriating that they don't separate management plane from data plane.

Methanar posted:

does asdm still require java 6?

ASA products are trash. buy actually anything else. I'd whitebox pfsense or something in production before I ever use an ASA again.

LONG LIVE ASA CLI -- Any sort of GUI management is rear end, though. At least they have an option for ASDM that bundles OpenJDK in the file.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 25, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone tried to get me to buy Watchguards and seemed upset when they demo'd it with a Windows management app and I laughed at them. I wonder if you still have to install software to configure them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone tried to get me to buy Watchguards and seemed upset when they demo'd it with a Windows management app and I laughed at them. I wonder if you still have to install software to configure them.
I'm not sure if my one client who has a Watchguard has a recent model or not, but yes, last time I saw one they were still using that horrible app.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sepist posted:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

They're expensive and I found basically everything they do to be worse in comparison to Palo Alto. I don't know if it annoys anyone else, but they went all in on this 'policy layer' setup that's incredibly cumbersome and is different from every other firewall. If you wanted to do application/URL filtering, you'd have to have a policy on one layer that allowed port 443 to any destination, then other policies on another layer to do the app/URL filtering. They were different rule sets in the UI. They only just started to unpick that to allow a typical policy setup.

We also had random things go wrong with them, and the deployment had been setup by their number one support partner in Europe, who were basically useless. The entire deployment was overly complicated and seemed like it only served to sell twice as many VMs as was needed. It was like someone had looked at the Azure cloud adoption framework diagrams and had no idea how any of it was supposed to be piece together, just that there was 4 VMs.

Prescription Combs posted:

Checkpoints are infuriating that they don't separate management plane from data plane.

Agreed with all of these. Previously I'd only heard in whispers the agonies involved with Check Points but since June I've been responsible for a small environment with 2x6400s at a DC and 2x5200s at a branch and it's been a never-ending nightmare.

As someone who has been doing Fortinet for the last decade being exposed to the Check Point way of doing things was a massive shock. The fact that the devices on their own are essentially useless without a management appliance is obscene. As mentioned the manner in which different security functions ("blades") are abstracted is insanely obtuse and littered with caveats (Encountering a tooltip in SmartConsole that references a KB article is far from uncommon).

And holy poo poo the price is obscene! We're in the process of renewing support and services for our tiny setup of just four gateways and to get one years worth with only 8x5 support cost us AUD$80k! Admittedly I've not seen Fortinet quotes for a similar renewal but for my single FortiGate 60F and FortiAP 231F at home renewing FortiGuard and support for one year cost me just AUD$2k (That's with 24x7 support as well, Fortinet don't really do 8x5 any more).

The penalty for not renewing services licenses means that blades will be straight up disabled so you lose security features. Compared to Fortinet licensing where device features are perpetual and you only pay for FortiGuard (AV/IPS/etc. updates) and support it's just crazy.

In the 5 months that I've been supporting this environment I've seen more obtuse bizarre issues than I've seen in years with Fortinet. So many that I've forgotten most of them and can only remember the most recent one: clients unable to access cve.mitre.org, HTTP 200 but the response body only has an insanely obtuse error message from the gateway (So obtuse it appears to be one from a common library as Googling gives results for F5 and other devices). This only happens with Chome. IE11 works fine.

The only possible convenience of Check Point is having centralised object definitions but ofc that's been available for Fortinet via either FortiManager or just with Security Fabric object sync. And last of all Check Point is a cyber security company based in Tel Aviv so it's highly likely that they're complicit in Israel's apartheid against Palestinians.

So yeah, never buy Check Point just get Fortinet or Palo Alto (I've only ever seen Panorama which looks pretty good, never used Palo Alto devices but people say good things).

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Helping deploy 4 data centers for a client and they chose Checkpoint devices for the firewalls. They aren't even using them for NGFW and have Cisco FTD's running on SPAN sessions for IDS. Should have just run Firepower firewalls running ASA code. :haw:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Helping deploy 4 data centers for a client and they chose Checkpoint devices for the firewalls. They aren't even using them for NGFW and have Cisco FTD's running on SPAN sessions for IDS. Should have just run Firepower firewalls running ASA code. :haw:

lmao that's amazing except no Firepower no thanks :P

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a technology stack you deploy if you're trying to get someone to quit their job

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a technology stack you deploy if you're trying to get someone to quit their job

I've seriously considered it.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

All good points to know. I wouldn't have suspected that the core business of a company could go off the rails that badly in terms of usability.
As for the stuff about Palestinians, I wouldn't know what vendor to choose if that were a serious concern. I've been told the ISR4461 was made specifically for aircraft carriers, and I've seen ESS3300 use case slides that were mostly military.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Super basic questions about DHCP snooping that I'm slightly embarrassed to ask. My main goal here is to prevent rogue DHCP servers from interfering, less as a security concern and more along the lines of preventing operational problems from non-technical staff plugging in unauthorized devices. Cisco's documentation is, as usual, not great.

First question, I guess, is: is this the right tool for the job? It seems like it is. I know DHCP snooping is often deployed with DAI, but I don't think I actually need that for my purposes.

I watched a video about the configuration process, and it seemed straightforward enough, but I have a slightly more involved setup than their example. I have a whole mess of sites, and generally each site has an on-premise DHCP server (separate from the network hardware) that serves as the primary, with a secondary one in an off-site datacenter as a fallback in case the on-prem box dies. I just have the one WAN uplink for my site routing devices; the on-premise server has teamed NICs, but the switchports themselves aren't port-channeled or anything. From the routing device it's generally a hub-and-spoke topology. These sites carry end-user traffic, these aren't datacenter networks or anything. The networks in question are running on Cisco hardware.

I know I need to enable DHCP snooping globally and on the VLANs in use, and if the video I watched was to be believed, I also need to specifically disable insertion of Option 82 or else it will be enabled by default:

code:
ip dhcp snooping
ip dhcp snooping vlan ##,##,##,##,##
no ip dhcp snooping information option
I know I then need to specify the trusted interfaces, which is question #2: Am I correct in thinking that my routing device needs to trust 1. the interfaces going to the teamed NICs (to allow the on-prem DHCP server to work) and 2. the WAN uplink interface (to allow the backup DHCP server to work)?
code:
interface <WAN uplink>
  ip dhcp snooping trust
interface range <interfaces for DHCP server>
  ip dhcp snooping trust
Question #3: I think I also need to configure this on the access-layer switches as well, trusting only their uplink ports, right?
code:
ip dhcp snooping
ip dhcp snooping vlan ##,##,##,##,##
no ip dhcp snooping information option
interface <whatever>
  ip dhcp snooping trust
Do I have this right, anything obviously wrong or potential landmines I haven't understood?

EDIT: Wait, is there any point to configuring it on the routing device? I think just configuring it on the access-layer switches would be enough.

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 7, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Configure it on the switches where somebody could potentially plug in a home router backwards. You can configure one switch and see if things are working before rolling out to more of them. If everything is functioning you should have devices getting DHCP leases still and showing up in the DHCP snooping stats. Final test could be to activate a DHCP server on a laptop or whatever and see the packets get dropped.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, I remember why I thought I needed it on the routing device. It's a little hard to explain, but there's gear that we don't control that connects to our network at our routing device and we've had issues with that gear trying to serve DHCP. We've been isolating their stuff on to its own VLAN as well, but it takes a lot of time to get changes through on their side (and, frankly, on our own side as well). So I think I am going to need to enable it there too and trust only my own links to the DHCP server and the WAN uplink. Otherwise the rogue offers are just going to get distributed through the now-trusted links to the access switches.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Why would your router relay DHCP messages like that? It should only be configured to relay from your DHCP server and nothing else right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I presume "routing device" means an L3 core switch or similar

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yes, exactly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Is using VLANs over 1000 still a thing to avoid? Anything Cisco to Cisco I've not seen any problem with it for a while, but the clients we connect to just grab whatever catches their eye and I have no idea how common SOHO stuff is for not supporting higher vlan numbers.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Not since Cisco started supporting dot1q standards like 20+ years ago.

Before that their proprietary ISL only supported 1k.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it possible that the VLAN ID around 1000 is being confused with the VLANs that Cisco kit would use internally for FDDI and things like that?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Slickdrac posted:

Is using VLANs over 1000 still a thing to avoid? Anything Cisco to Cisco I've not seen any problem with it for a while, but the clients we connect to just grab whatever catches their eye and I have no idea how common SOHO stuff is for not supporting higher vlan numbers.
Older Catalyst switches are the only things I've ever had problems with it. My general rule is if the thing you're working with only supports 802.1q VLANs it's probably good, if it's from a family of products old enough to have existed and had a concept of VLANs before 802.1q you might want to verify.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I have been tasked with having student workers on their down time “test” the wireless network in buildings where residents are complaining of poor service. I already know that the request sounds silly because of the vagueness of what testing means and basically doing the vendors job for them but I was hoping goons might shed some light on any technology that would be helpful to show student workers how to use besides sending them around aimlessly with Netflix playing on a laptop and what results may be somewhat actually useful to a vendor. I have access to plenty of pc’s, iPads, a few MacBooks, but am very short on androids.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Budget Dracula posted:

I have access to plenty of pc’s, iPads, a few MacBooks, but am very short on androids.

The cheap (free) and dirty recommendation was going to be running WiFi analyzer in android but there isn’t a iOS/macOS version afaik.
Could run an app on windows 11 that’s available from the amazon App Store. Bluestack might work for windows 10 and mac?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Ubiquiti's WiFiman has both IOS and Android versions and allows you to do speed tests and live channel monitoring/signal strength tests. I think Wavemon works pretty well for Linux and you can use InSSIDer on Windows if you make a free account, but I don't know anything for OSX or cross-platform.

To start out, I would want to figure out if the WLANs being used have good signal strength in the problem areas and if there are any APs running the same channels close enough to interfere with each other. I think WiFiman at least might also have the ability to detect how many other clients there are and that could help figure out if there's a problem with density being too high. If you rule all of that out, I'd dig further into testing the specific application reported to have issues and maybe go back to the vendor for further recommendations.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 8, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Ubiquiti Wifiman Wizard if you can find it looks cheap enough to equip student workers work to have some sort of consistency to the radio being used to do these surveys.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If you have some cashish - https://www.amazon.com/NETSCOUT-AIRCHECK-G2-Wireless-Tester-Wi-Fi/dp/B079W6DHZZ

I have used the G1 a bunch , which isn’t as equipped but took enough measurements. Rogues sometimes are a problem , but most of the time it was coverage in the back corner of a room where a student wants to perch and use their laptop like a cat .

Doesn’t help for client specific issues but it is consistent when surveying which is important.

Speed tests don’t really tell you much other than the speed you get on that one device where you are at the time .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Partycat posted:

If you have some cashish - https://www.amazon.com/NETSCOUT-AIRCHECK-G2-Wireless-Tester-Wi-Fi/dp/B079W6DHZZ

I have used the G1 a bunch , which isn’t as equipped but took enough measurements. Rogues sometimes are a problem , but most of the time it was coverage in the back corner of a room where a student wants to perch and use their laptop like a cat .

Doesn’t help for client specific issues but it is consistent when surveying which is important.

Speed tests don’t really tell you much other than the speed you get on that one device where you are at the time .

Oh man I wish lol, all great ideas for us to do at least something but yeah this brings me back to the days of listening to dialup customers using speed test sites to complain they are not getting that full 56k speeds they pay for.