Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The human body isn't designed for running, cycling, or sitting in traffic. The human body is a perfectly tuned long distance destroying walking machine

Riding a bicycle is way more efficient than walking, in terms of energy used to move a given mass a given distance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

How much does it cost to buy an emote again?

$60. the process is kind of a hassle and you need to save the format just right to work with radium’s terrible code. if you paypal that to me i’m happy to do it for you cause it’s fresh in my mind.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Pedestrians are just people, and people have been lovely to me plenty of times
Many pedestrians you see are also drivers, so they deserve everything they got coming to them, IMO

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Pedestrians may often be imperfect and lovely humans but, from an urban planning perspective, there should be recognition that they are simply unarmored cylinders of meat and goo, and should be protected from any conveyances made of metal or other materials, and allowed to transit the built environment, freely, and safe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I think we can all admit there can be aggressive bicyclists out there, they just aren't the danger car drivers present. An aggressive cyclist can knock you over...but he isn't going to end your life. Honestly, a lot of it is just how bike lanes are done in the states (usually very poorly). I do think some cyclists need to slow down in populated areas though, it isn't a track.

Otherwise, I would say long-distance walking at the same time is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your long-term health. It is extremely low impact but still has long-term health benefits. In particular, plenty of joggers/runners can gently caress up their knees pretty bad if they go on concrete/aspalt (which they usually do).

That said, in most of the world, people probably can clock in 10,000-20,000 steps in a day with their daily life especially if there is decent public transportation. It is really the US where it is really the issue where no one walks, the food is pretty garbage, and for some reason people are depressed/angry all the time.

there are a few prominent "pedestrian killed by bike/ebike collision" stories that ive seen in recent years but its usually an old person getting owned by one and then the news acting like that excuses all the dozens of truck/bike slaughters that occur

https://abc7ny.com/bike-lanes-safety-cyclists-bikers/5473859/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Someone being a stupid aggressive dickhead on a bike is a lot less damaging than someone being a stupid aggressive dickhead in a truck

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have seen way more rear end in a top hat drivers than pedestrians or anyone riding a bike, like maybe one rear end in a top hat pedesterian or bike every few years while rear end in a top hat drivers basically everyday.

rear end in a top hat drivers ( and why right on red should not exist ) promptly creep forward and block crosswalks and honk if you get in the way, that is if they don't run you over.

rear end in a top hat drivers will drive too close to bikes, and drive around pedestrians trying to cross a road, or honk at a driver letting a pedestrian cross. "what is this you interrupting my drive to let a pedestrian walk"

Aside from that, they are also absolute assholes on the road to other drivers, tailgating, weaving in traffic, driving dangerously fast for conditions and blaming everything from the car, to mexican immigrants as to why they crash or get really mad if you dare change lane in front of them.

When I drive I am always ready to put car in sport mode, hope the dual clutch system will not have some brain fog and drive like a serial killer is chasing me because last thing I want is a road rager shooitng at me ( whcih appens often enough in washinton state). When I ride transit the only worry is "the ticket inspector" that might inconvinience my reading or relaxing.

Why do we tolerate this poo poo? why is it that acting like psychopaths in counterstrike is seen as a normal thing that you just witness every single loving day going a to b.

gently caress cars, gently caress suburbs and exurbs and gently caress highways, freeways, stroads and right on red

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Blackhawk posted:

Riding a bicycle is way more efficient than walking, in terms of energy used to move a given mass a given distance:

you can see how car centric that study is when there is nothing related to public transport that isn't a plane

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Someone being a stupid aggressive dickhead on a bike is a lot less damaging than someone being a stupid aggressive dickhead in a truck

yeah for sure. bikes shoot through a red completely hidden to crossers by busses and trucks in the right lane or travel wrong way in bike lane so crossers are looking the wrong way as the step off curb etc. one of those unlucky people is gonna be frail or whack their skull on the ground. we should solve the truck problem killing hundreds of bikers a year first im with you there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is the number of people killed by bikes even statistically significant? It's not like there's a cyclodomor being perpetrated in city streets

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the number of people killed by bikes even statistically significant? It's not like there's a cyclodomor being perpetrated in city streets

You can Google and see several dozen news headlines per person killed by a bicycle running into them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
every news outlet reporting means that every is a new death and not same one, checkmate car haters

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

silicone thrills posted:

Absolutely right. Anyone who whines about cyclists is either staggeringly stupid or arguing in bad faith. They still seem to pop up by the dozen every time the city tries to put in a MUP.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't have the exact numbers on hand but iirc in the DC area (the district plus surrounding counties in VA and MD) it seems to happen once every ten to fifteen years. for context, more than 300 people were killed in car crashes in the DC area last year alone

obviously cyclists have to be careful and respectful of pedestrians, and for every death there are going to be a bunch of crashes where cyclists injure or traumatize pedestrians, which is very bad... but imo trying to set pedestrians against cyclists is pretty silly when the kind of safe street improvements that we're all calling for would help separate cyclists from pedestrians. building protected bike lanes dramatically reduces the amount of sidewalk cycling and makes cyclists and pedestrians more visible to each other, which is a lot better than what we have now

if someone is angry after encounters with jerk cyclists i get it. but it's a weird axe to grind in the i hate cars thread, the thread for hating cars and rejoicing in other modes of transportation

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Fp7flAWMA

Drivers are psycho, ect. ect.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What the gently caress humanity was a mistake

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

oh cool, the vehicles marketed towards selfish assholes is driven by murderous assholes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The NYT actually had a decent article: Widening Highways Doesn’t Fix Traffic. So Why Do We Keep Doing It?

LA/CalTrans improbably canceled some dumbass plan because it was really stupid and expensive. NJ is not cancelling one because Phil Murphy is a dipshit, although widening from 4 to 6 lanes is not nearly as insane as the other examples. Houston, Texas is widening some 14-lane, 285 ft wide monstrosity to an 18-lane, 480ft clusterfuck because:

On Nov. 3, 2015, 83% of Texas voters approved the ballot measure known as Proposition 7, a constitutional amendment for transportation funding. Under the amendment, a portion of sales and use taxes as well as a smaller portion of motor vehicle sales and rental taxes may only be used to construct, maintain, or acquire rights of way for public roadways other than toll roads.

lmao they put loving highway funding into their goddamn constitution.

mystes
May 31, 2006

jetz0r posted:

oh cool, the vehicles marketed towards selfish assholes is driven by murderous assholes.
It's like the SUV voight kampff test

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

E: Fooled by the pixels, they have yet to build this road I'll come back when it is.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Jan 7, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I thought that was some weird AI render like when AI makes too many fingers but instead it made too many lanes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

I thought that was some weird AI render like when AI makes too many fingers but instead it made too many lanes.

It's a photoshop. For one, it's showing 40 lanes across, and the 26 lanes it's supposed to have includes frontage roads, which make the real thing look totally reasonable and not insane:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

eXXon posted:

It's a photoshop. For one, it's showing 40 lanes across, and the 26 lanes it's supposed to have includes frontage roads, which make the real thing look totally reasonable and not insane:

I have the same feelings about that one

Anyway cars were the worst mistake humanity has made.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pedestrians may often be imperfect and lovely humans but, from an urban planning perspective, there should be recognition that they are simply unarmored cylinders of meat and goo, and should be protected from any conveyances made of metal or other materials, and allowed to transit the built environment, freely, and safe

Give full plate armour for all pedestrians, maybe drivers will be less willing to run us over if they risk getting a gauntlet through the windshield.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

silicone thrills posted:

I have the same feelings about that one

Anyway cars were the worst mistake humanity has made.

Still think that one belongs to agriculture but cars are a strong second

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Blackhawk posted:

Admittedly, there are some dangers with bike use as well, it sort of depends on the person and what they want to do. It is why probably a Dutch-style system is the best compromise since it gives clear seperate right-a-ways for bikes and pedestrians but also assumes a certain speed for everyone involved in the system. You really can't bike as fast as you want in a Dutch system (usually), but you can certainly bike comfortably/safely.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, there are some dangers with bike use as well, it sort of depends on the person and what they want to do. It is why probably a Dutch-style system is the best compromise since it gives clear seperate right-a-ways for bikes and pedestrians but also assumes a certain speed for everyone involved in the system. You really can't bike as fast as you want in a Dutch system (usually), but you can certainly bike comfortably/safely.

I felt rather endangered by bikers and faced more aggression from them than drivers, several times, in just a few days in the Netherlands. Wheels do something to people. at least they’re lighter than cars.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

historically every animal that ever evolved wheels became such an rear end in a top hat that all the other animals agreed to put aside their differences and extinct them

thus proving via natural selection that pedestrian locomotion is superior

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

I felt rather endangered by bikers and faced more aggression from them than drivers, several times, in just a few days in the Netherlands. Wheels do something to people. at least they’re lighter than cars.

I feel like it is more being jerky to tourists because central Amsterdam is well a tourist trap, specifically it reminds me of Hollywood blvd in the early 2000s to be exact. But yeah, it exists there but I don't know if it is a biking thing or more of a microaggression thing.

That said, even in central Amsterdam there usually is designed lanes, it is usually in high traffic areas that issues happen.

---------

In the US, I do think there is two issues: one bicyclists often need to compete with cars for space which requires more aggression, and also forcing bikes on to sidewalks that also causes problems.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Jan 7, 2023

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lmao at dudes in the suburbs agreeing to pay $1000 a month on a 7 year loan for a truck they'll never actually need to use, except to record angry politics videos where they're wearing sunglasses

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-bronx-deadly-triple-hit-and-run-20230107-zwghylrw7bebbmknzsgh64vgee-story.html

this guy finally got killed being the victim of his 3rd hit and run

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I have friends and family that live in this neighborhood. Broadway from Inwood to Van Cortlandt is absolutely some Mad Max poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he had panache. :rip:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

webcams for christ posted:

I have friends and family that live in this neighborhood. Broadway from Inwood to Van Cortlandt is absolutely some Mad Max poo poo

It would raise Equity Concerns to do anything to actually curb this kind of behavior.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/07/tiktok-car-fishing-craze-leads-to-closure-of-ancient-rufford-ford

slightly disappointed, it was a good source of idiots ruining their cars and only being dangers to themselves.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

“People love seeing pain and failure,” said another YouTuber, who insisted on being referred to by his online username midlifecrisis101x

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

in relation to what? there are no statistical tests you apply to a single number. like you could ask is a bike hitting someone more likely to kill them than another pedestrian hitting them or a car hitting them or something, or ask what they're more likely to be hit by, and with a little work frame those questions in statistical test terms, but the question as you put it doesn't make any sense. this is probably because people who don't spend their lives in a research setting only encounter the phrase being misused. i do not blame you, i blame the science writers.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Irony.or.Death posted:

in relation to what? there are no statistical tests you apply to a single number. like you could ask is a bike hitting someone more likely to kill them than another pedestrian hitting them or a car hitting them or something, or ask what they're more likely to be hit by, and with a little work frame those questions in statistical test terms, but the question as you put it doesn't make any sense. this is probably because people who don't spend their lives in a research setting only encounter the phrase being misused. i do not blame you, i blame the science writers.

cool thanks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

What's the over/under on it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009