Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Xotl, I know your ability to influence the minis line is probably pretty limited; but if CGL ever gets worried the UrbanMech meme is wearing thin you could always recommend a box of Cats (Timberwolf D, Mad Cat Mk. II, Mad Cat Mk. III, Savage Wolf, and Alpha Wolf all in the same star box).

I'd buy an unhealthy number of those and I've already got eight Mad Cats. Maybe nine. I've lost count.

I want to run a whole star of Mad Cats, points be damned :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bucket o' BugMechs imo. The perfect thing when you want a whole buncha mooks to burn through.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is the Hornet a bugmech or is it too pathetic to be included?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a knockoff bug 'Mech.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I love the Firebee though

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I would buy multiple Box o' Bugs, I love those annoying little guys.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

FishFood posted:

I would buy multiple Box o' Bugs, I love those annoying little guys.

Wasp, Hornet, Locust, Flea? What other ones are there that count?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BugMechs are the original 20-tonners: Wasp, Stinger, Locust.

Anything else is BugMech-adjacent

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Xotl, I know your ability to influence the minis line is probably pretty limited; but if CGL ever gets worried the UrbanMech meme is wearing thin you could always recommend a box of Cats (Timberwolf D, Mad Cat Mk. II, Mad Cat Mk. III, Savage Wolf, and Alpha Wolf all in the same star box).

I'd buy an unhealthy number of those and I've already got eight Mad Cats. Maybe nine. I've lost count.

I would do terrible things to get a Mad Cat mk 2 in plastic. The IWM version is my favorite mech I own. While the sculpt is good, it still struggles just by being metal. In fact I dropped it recently and the legs did not hold up well to the fall. It needs a lot of TLC to be usable again.

Also if we get a plastic one I hope it takes more influence from that one than the MWO model.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have much input into production stuff: I mostly just do rules. But I suspect they have a mountain of box sets on the drawing board that they'd like to do and believe would sell but the choke points are dev time and production (how many different boxes the market can bear and whatnot). The Mad Cat is definitely one of the all-time iconic BT mechs though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see alternate sculpts coming down the road and an appearance in multiple boxes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Defiance Industries posted:

Don’t the Canopians make all of them?

So the 4th mech of the lance should have cats ears and a tail.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Everyone makes them, that's the entire point. Making it specific to a faction would be missing the point, just as much as the fans have missed the point that those women who get bionic implants to appeal to furries are being pressured into it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Everyone makes them, that's the entire point.

So what's the 4th mech everyone makes? Dunno if Urbi's count but they already have a company of them you can buy instead.

(I feel like being forced to make something the furriesfans want is something Catalyst knows the feelings of already).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

There's an ELH joke in here somewhere.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There is a bugmech alignment chart and the cicada and grasshopper are on the evil axis.

So browsing game aids I noticed there's contact ping standees for unrevealed mechs. Since the 90's I just played as you put your guys on the table and moved them around. Are there rules for not revealing your dudes until they're in LOS; and where would I find those?

As part of campaign play as I build out the spreadsheet and generate her reserves I've decided there's a fifth ready reserve mech in the implausibly ample store's of my Daughter's merc lance dropship in case of combat losses. What should I throw in there to compliment Griffin, Blackjack, Locust, Commando? My thoughts are to keep her hungry with some squad goals (but make the first several missions close to walk overs as she learns the ins and outs), so not an Atlas obv.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wraith is a bug mech because it looks like a beetle

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

So browsing game aids I noticed there's contact ping standees for unrevealed mechs. Since the 90's I just played as you put your guys on the table and moved them around. Are there rules for not revealing your dudes until they're in LOS; and where would I find those?

Tactical Operations has rules for Concealing Information and playing with Double-Blind rules. There are also scenarios where one side has hidden units. They could be used for those kinds of games.

Those rules seem a bit complex but I could also see how playing a normal game of BT but with just all mechs being radar blips until they’re in LOS of the other player could be a interesting twist on the normal gameplay.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

While I'm waiting for the gloss coat on my Marik Militia to dry so I can do final weathering, I got a good start on my Spirit Nova Cats. They're not all using the Spirit Cats colors, but I think the overall effect I'm going for is still going to work in the end.

It's really hard to find good pictures of the Clix, but that's the pattern on one of the Spirit Cats Nova Cat minis.

I look forward to this finished Nova cat as a Spirit Cat. I may be tempted to buy another Clan Fire STar Box just for an extra Nova Cat to paint one more white like this. Do you recommend using a white or grey primer when painting white minis or do you think a black primer is still alright?

Also, if you need good images of clix pieces, this is the best source you can use. Every single piece has a picture here by faction. http://warrenborn.com/UnitSection.html

Anyways, I finished The Damocles Sanction, my final spoiler thoughts.

~ I struggle to understand why people are supposed to have a problem with Julian. The only two legitimate criticisms of him I can find are A) He's trying to hard to lead from the front and that's risky, and B) He killed Toranaga without a trial in the spur of the moment. But A is what everyone loves about Erik, so I don't get why Julian has less support in the public than Erik when he's done the same thing and more successfully (Up to that point). His advisors can certainly be frustrated with A, but not the general public.
~ I get that Erik is really popular for leading Julian's campaigns successfully, he's essentially the face of the AFFS, but why isn't he more tarnished from his time as Caleb's Champion, a member of the Old Regime that nearly killed the Suns? I feel he gets a pass there. As one of the sole surviving AFFS high command from Caleb's time, he should get blamed for at least some of those mistakes.
~ Why are so many of Erik's advisors (Tuorto, Elise) determined to make Julian look bad in order to elevate Erik more? Tuorto interprets everything in the worse possible light about what Julian might be doing.
~ Why was Gavin Marik-Davion in a cell and then not? Did Julian capture him? How'd he escape? I know it's a mystery as to what Gavin really wants (Does he want Julian to stay in power? He seems to be a Davion fanboy, but he seems to enjoy that Erik is more popular than Julian). It's strange and I wish we had a scene going into more of his motivations. His Dark Age motivations seemed to be pro-Julian.
~ I do wish the Combine had won at least one battle in-novel, so that there was more tension on whether Erik would succeed liberating the Tongue.

Good book, besides the typos.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 7, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Assassin is the secret 4th Bug 'Mech, and the first official "Bug 'Mech Killer" (it's also the "Bug 'Mech Killer" that's the worst at its job).

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Do you recommend using a white or grey primer when painting white minis or do you think a black primer is still alright?

I prime everything white (or with a zenithal highlight) regardless of color; I prefer the vibrancy it lends to whatever colors I'm painting and not needing to paint 50 layers to build up over black.

For the Nova Cat, and because I absolutely hate using actual white for anything except as a very rare highlight, I did a basecoat of a very light grey-blue and then a topdown zenithal from my airbrush with Vallejo's White Gray. I picked a different shade from the gray-green I used to prime my ComGuards, just so they'd look a little different standing next to each other.

Just for comparison: White Primer vs. Spirit Cats White vs. Com Guards White.

I picked grey-green as the base for the ComGuards because it gives this weird undertone of wrongness to them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 7, 2023

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Assassin is the secret 4th Bug 'Mech, and the first official "Bug 'Mech Killer" (it's also the "Bug 'Mech Killer" that's the worst at its job).

Speaking of, the Assassin got a new variant in RecGuide 29. It's... not that much better than the normal Assassin at killing Lights. LPPC, MML5, and a one shot SRM2. It does have Stealth Armor and an Angel ECM at least, so it can pull duty as a distruptor even if its ability to actually kill is limited.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Owlbear Camus posted:

As part of campaign play as I build out the spreadsheet and generate her reserves I've decided there's a fifth ready reserve mech in the implausibly ample store's of my Daughter's merc lance dropship in case of combat losses. What should I throw in there to compliment Griffin, Blackjack, Locust, Commando? My thoughts are to keep her hungry with some squad goals (but make the first several missions close to walk overs as she learns the ins and outs), so not an Atlas obv.

Valkyrie is a good Mech and makes for a choice of which 4 she fields depending on mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Assassin's a 'Mech that's awful at its intended role; but as a backline raider / supply depot hunter it's superb. Anytime the OpForce is likely to be a couple of unarmed trucks and an APC or two the Assassin shines and it's just heavily armed enough that a recon lance being called in for back up probably doesn't want to tangle with it. I still think it'd be better off with a Clantech ER Medium Laser but how much more money do you really want to spend on your Assassins anyway?

An Assassin that actually gets caught on the battlefield or pulled into a Lance v. Lance fight has a moron for a Mechwarrior and an even bigger moron as a C.O. At the same time, if a command catches an enemy Assassin somewhere (operating with a lance or otherwise) killing it should be a high priority both because it's an easy-ish takedown and it deprives the enemy of a very irritating supply line raider.

Owlbear Camus posted:

What should I throw in there to compliment Griffin, Blackjack, Locust, Commando? My thoughts are to keep her hungry with some squad goals (but make the first several missions close to walk overs as she learns the ins and outs), so not an Atlas obv.

She's got a high-end medium, a low-end medium, and two low-end light 'mechs. I want to recommend another light 'Mech like a Valkyrie or a Javelin, but I think you'll be better served doing this:

Play up that her chief tech is "working on something," but don't tell her what right away. If she takes a combat loss you can then reveal a comparable replacement. Not necessarily a Locust for a Locust or a Commando for another Commando; but maybe a small upgrade like the dead Locust gets replaced with a Spider or a dead Commando gets replaced by a Javelin.

If she makes it through your tutorial missions without losing anything, you can then reveal a nice low-end trooper medium that she can use when she wants a little more durability. Something tough but not exceptional like the Hermes II, or maybe even a Vindicator.

Double-edit: Or something that will make her cackle with glee like a Hunchback.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 7, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hunchback is a great choice. It’s a smile generator.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whom amongst us does not like to shred armor with an autocannon so heavy for the weight class it fucks up the whole mech's profile?

One of the packages I ordered to spend a B&N bargain AGOAC box voucher came today with salvage boxes. Marauder IIC, Stone Rhino, Supernova, Urbanmech. One of these things is not like the others. One of these things is not the same. It was the one I picked out on purpose because he's my special little guy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I ended up grabbing the Clan Invasion box set on top of the Armored Combat one since it seemed like a good deal for more robots and maps and I'm looking at the 'mech sheets. Just trying to get a feel for how all this works and had a question.

Why does the Nova-Prime have so many drat lasers? Seems like you'd be running a high risk of shutting down if you used them all at once. Is it just a case of having the firepower if you need it or extras if an arm pops off?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I ended up grabbing the Clan Invasion box set on top of the Armored Combat one since it seemed like a good deal for more robots and maps and I'm looking at the 'mech sheets. Just trying to get a feel for how all this works and had a question.

Why does the Nova-Prime have so many drat lasers? Seems like you'd be running a high risk of shutting down if you used them all at once. Is it just a case of having the firepower if you need it or extras if an arm pops off?

One thing: It gives you wider weapons coverage putting 6 in each arm. With a torso twist you can fire behind you, though there's still a blind spot depending on which arm you bring to bear.

And if things get truly desperate you can still alpha strike with it and peice trade, hoping whatever you melted was worth more than the aptly named nova. With some luck it might even dissipate that in the subsequent round and get back in the fight.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 7, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ahhh ok that makes way more sense. The firing arcs thing didn't even cross my mind at an initial glance.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Ahhh ok that makes way more sense. The firing arcs thing didn't even cross my mind at an initial glance.

The real neat trick is just to dump everything but the upper actuators and you can flip 'em 180 for full 360 coverage.

And they call the rifleman a "bad mech." :argh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Rifleman is a bad 'Mech, it's just bad in fun ways.

The Rifleman IIC, on the other hand, is a Friendship Ruiner.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

TheKingslayer posted:

The other reason.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's an omni so if you're a coward you can always drop some of the lasers for heat sink.

IF you are a coward.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Here's my Legion of Vega after speedpaint and before metallics/canopy details. I based the scheme off of the Wolverine in Combat Manual: Kurita, but I used Runic Gray because I did not want to gently caress around with the white speedpaint. I'm wondering how I should paint the glass; the image in CM Kurita has blue glass, but I don't think it will pop with the blue-gray chassis. I'm thinking a bright green, maybe?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Astronaut visor Bronze with a gloss coat IMO.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you want a jeweled cockpit, green would look the nicest with the Legion of Vega's highlights.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Rifleman is a bad 'Mech, it's just bad in fun ways.

The Rifleman IIC, on the other hand, is a Friendship Ruiner.

I remember when that tech readout came out, I saw the loadout and thought “oh there’s some cheese”

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
More W.I.P. Nova Cats, showing off my plans.

Most common (8) are Spirit Cat hand-me-downs in white and gray, followed by units with patchwork repairs (2) that haven't been repainted, then traditional Nova Cat camo (3) with Spirit Cats embelishment, and finally Xi Provisional Bullshit (2) with Spirit Cat embelishment.

Yes, I did base the Mad Dog on the colors of Cobra's Alley Viper.

So, different, but still unified. Or so I hope.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 8, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

More W.I.P. Nova Cats, showing off my plans.

Most common (8) are Spirit Cat hand-me-downs in white and gray, followed by units with patchwork repairs (2) that haven't been repainted, then traditional Nova Cat camo (3) with Spirit Cats embelishment, and finally Xi Provisional Bullshit (2) with Spirit Cat embelishment.

Yes, I did base the Mad Dog on the colors of Cobra's Alley Viper.

So, different, but still unified. Or so I hope.

How did you get multiple Nova Cats, did you just buy multiple force packs with them in, or did you get individual mechs as you want, and if so from where?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

How did you get multiple Nova Cats, did you just buy multiple force packs with them in, or did you get individual mechs as you want, and if so from where?

I got a malformed Warhawk in my preorder, so I needed to order a second box to get a second Warhawk to repair it. Then I got lucky and pulled a third Nova Cat out of a blind box. They've been kinda trickling in over months as I get the urge to paint a certain unit. I wasn't originally going to paint Nova Cats or Wolf in Exile at all but I wound up with so many spares I figured I might as well.

At this point, I've got at least two of almost everything (with some rare exceptions) and there are only two 'Mechs I don't think I've painted at least one of(the Baboon and Hellion). I wasn't joking when I said I wound up with at least 8 Timberwolves through various means.

At least my wall of shame is more paint than bare plastic/primer now (but that's not all of the 'Mechs I've painted, either).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 8, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So I think even in my inept hands this will look kind of bad apples painted up, but word of warning to fellow modders as cool as it looks the anime style LRM swarm launch is brittle as Hell even after secondary curing. I might get some of that "ABS like" resin and give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished the basecoats on my weirder Nova Cats. Will it blend? We'll see, but I'm happy with them.