Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

save the cat chat is reminding me how the original script of avatar opens with a scene at a bar on shithole earth where sully does some badass sympathetic thing i dont exactly remember but i do remember thinking when i first read that of all the things to cut from the movie why would they cut the scene that establishes that the main character is a cool heroic supercompetent guy in an environment he understands when he spends the next two hours immediately afterwards acting like a complete dipshit if id known he was this badass dude on earth id have just figured he was a fish out of water and not a mouth breathing moron everywhere he goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

McCloud posted:

It's made even funnier by the fact that "save the cat" was written by a guy whose only screenwriting credit was "Stop or my mom will shoot"
i remember reading that and wondering just from the writer's voice "exactly how much coke does this guy do?" then found out he died of a heart attack at like 45 :( (not saying it was drug related, but i have suspicions)

it's a really fun book to read because of that though

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

save the cat chat is reminding me how the original script of avatar opens with a scene at a bar on shithole earth where sully does some badass sympathetic thing i dont exactly remember but i do remember thinking when i first read that of all the things to cut from the movie why would they cut the scene that establishes that the main character is a cool heroic supercompetent guy in an environment he understands when he spends the next two hours immediately afterwards acting like a complete dipshit if id known he was this badass dude on earth id have just figured he was a fish out of water and not a mouth breathing moron everywhere he goes

On the other hand I’ve seen so many terrible “generic hero effortlessly beats up thug at bar while acting too cool for school” set ups in movies, that it would instantly turn me against the character out of sheer spite for having made me watch another. Good on Cameron for removing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And thing is the introduction of the protagonist of Avatar is arguably one of the strongest moments- showing him waking up from cryo and then revealing the wheelchair, establishing that sympathy for by him showing he's vulnerable, and giving him a motivation to enjoy just the sensation of being in the Avatar body later.

a strange fowl posted:

i remember reading that and wondering just from the writer's voice "exactly how much coke does this guy do?" then found out he died of a heart attack at like 45 :( (not saying it was drug related, but i have suspicions)

it's a really fun book to read because of that though

that explains a lot

Also there's a certain kind of guy who treats the book as holy writ and I suspect they're all hollywood failkids

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

if someone says that you have made a statement comparable to the director of red river you go "gently caress, thanks", and you don't get bogged down by already knowing poo poo. this is the path of the warrior

gently caress you red river owns

not referring to the movie tho that kneejerk reaction was thinking of the red river comic book about this fifteen year old japanese girl who gets isekaied back to hittite times legit one of the best time slip stories ive ever read it helps a lot that it predates the current isekai trend so the premise is less what if my self insert traveled back in time and got magic powers for no reason and more what if a pretty but otherwise unremarkable fifteen year old girl traveled back in time and has to negotiate archaic social situations she doesnt really understand in the context of her being summoned in the first place to be used as a sacrificial artifact in episode four of an epic political series already in progress

theres a great bit where she has to do a fight to the death with a huge burly man and wins because she picks an iron sword since its the only weapon offered that looks like a real weapon to her while the other guy picks a bronze weapon thats just a total piece of poo poo in comparison events shake out like this because iron is new and its literally what the current armed conflict is about but random foot soldiers who have never seen an iron weapon before dont know or understand any of this what im getting at is that red river is a comic that was clearly written by a huge mesopotamia history nerd who disguised it as a shojo romance for marketability reasons and it should be the first thing that pops in to your head whenever someone says red river

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The game was already trying its hardest to be a prestige TV show so it's weird to see it adapted at all. I'd rather most video game properties bomb horribly so studios are more wary to try and cash in on them.

Sonic being successful has opened all sorts of floodgates.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Would 15 year old girls be fighting to the death in Old mesopotamia?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if youre the concubine of the guy the lead family of iron smelters thinks murdered their family members because of a conspiracy by the dowager queen then yes yes they do

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Communist Thoughts posted:

Would 15 year old girls be fighting to the death in Old mesopotamia?

no they would be temple prostitutes.

Also how come no one made a movie about mark twain's isekai before sam raimi?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

T2 is a serious film that Says A Lot About Our Society because it has an evil cop

this is what weve come to as a culture yeah its not even about terminator two being a great masterpiece it just passes an absurdly low standard that drat near every modern movie including the subsequent terminator movies completely fails to exceed

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

how did movies by the same people differ before and after the Hayes code?

honestly not as much as youre probably expecting specific hays codes regulations were frequently ignored in part because there were no real enforcement mechanisms it was mainly influential on the production level and even then youre mainly talking about greenlighting westerns instead of gangster movies you get far more noticeable chilling effects from world war two and the blacklist than anything that can be tracked to the hays code

in popular understanding the hays code is more a bogeyman slain to protect creative freedom than something you can actually track as relevant to the content of individual popular films it existed mainly for business and marketing reasons and everything the hays code supposedly did to stifle free expression the mpaa did significantly more competently and with significantly less public backlash which is the entire reason why the hays code rebranded to the mpaa in the first place

edit tricked me into misspelling hays

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 12:07 on Jan 7, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching ace in the hole and loling at the hero being disgusted that hes being given the provincial cuisine of chicken tacos and not the fine new york dining of chicken livers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rewatched O Brother Where Art Thou for a pick me up and it still rocks

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

gently caress you red river owns

not referring to the movie tho that kneejerk reaction was thinking of the red river comic book about this fifteen year old japanese girl who gets isekaied back to hittite times legit one of the best time slip stories ive ever read it helps a lot that it predates the current isekai trend so the premise is less what if my self insert traveled back in time and got magic powers for no reason and more what if a pretty but otherwise unremarkable fifteen year old girl traveled back in time and has to negotiate archaic social situations she doesnt really understand in the context of her being summoned in the first place to be used as a sacrificial artifact in episode four of an epic political series already in progress

theres a great bit where she has to do a fight to the death with a huge burly man and wins because she picks an iron sword since its the only weapon offered that looks like a real weapon to her while the other guy picks a bronze weapon thats just a total piece of poo poo in comparison events shake out like this because iron is new and its literally what the current armed conflict is about but random foot soldiers who have never seen an iron weapon before dont know or understand any of this what im getting at is that red river is a comic that was clearly written by a huge mesopotamia history nerd who disguised it as a shojo romance for marketability reasons and it should be the first thing that pops in to your head whenever someone says red river

if the war is being fought over iron then why wouldnt the guy know about iron swords

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Watch Hudsucker Proxy next

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:rip: to a king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0row2iTfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYr_SvIKKuI

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

honestly not as much as youre probably expecting specific hays codes regulations were frequently ignored in part because there were no real enforcement mechanisms it was mainly influential on the production level and even then youre mainly talking about greenlighting westerns instead of gangster movies you get far more noticeable chilling effects from world war two and the blacklist than anything that can be tracked to the hays code

in popular understanding the hays code is more a bogeyman slain to protect creative freedom than something you can actually track as relevant to the content of individual popular films it existed mainly for business and marketing reasons and everything the hays code supposedly did to stifle free expression the mpaa did significantly more competently and with significantly less public backlash which is the entire reason why the hays code rebranded to the mpaa in the first place

edit tricked me into misspelling hays

the older movies seem a lot more ribald to me, and part of the fun is to see what the effect is and to think about it as you have done here! and sure you see the effects of the war, and that’s one of the cool things too — you see different themes pop up, references to transatlantic passenger lines being shut, Hitler jokes and so on. your post, and this one, is pure cinema…

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

the cohen brothers True Grit is another great pick me up

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Some Guy TT posted:

my rant from a few days ago about kids not learning social skills anymore is kind of related like even pseudo educational shows like octonauts are built around these kinds of high stakes rescue narratives it seems increasingly rare to have shows that are just about normal rear end kids trying to get along with other normal rear end kids

in another some guy tt deep cut i made fun of kenya recently banning hey arnold when thats like a show from our childhoods but honestly if im a foreign distributor trying to find an american kids show about normal american kids so kids in my country can see how normal american kids live hey arnolds probably a fairly recent example just because its a fairly shallow pool to begin with

thank God for Steven Universe for teaching theater kid adults social skills and God drat Hazbin Hotel for undoing all that

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kids entertainment these days is weirdly centered around superheroes even more so than they used to. Our kid watches a lot of pbs for kids and there's like 3 different shows where the children have superpowers for no reason and I literally just want them to be hanging out and teaching the alphabet or something.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

And not in a "magic school bus" sort of way where it's a mechanism to transport the kids into a learning environment like the human body.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Kids entertainment these days is weirdly centered around superheroes even more so than they used to. Our kid watches a lot of pbs for kids and there's like 3 different shows where the children have superpowers for no reason and I literally just want them to be hanging out and teaching the alphabet or something.

Superheroes have been doing that poo poo for almost literally a century.

Some Guy TT posted:

my rant from a few days ago about kids not learning social skills anymore is kind of related like even pseudo educational shows like octonauts are built around these kinds of high stakes rescue narratives it seems increasingly rare to have shows that are just about normal rear end kids trying to get along with other normal rear end kids

in another some guy tt deep cut i made fun of kenya recently banning hey arnold when thats like a show from our childhoods but honestly if im a foreign distributor trying to find an american kids show about normal american kids so kids in my country can see how normal american kids live hey arnolds probably a fairly recent example just because its a fairly shallow pool to begin with

Was that in this thread or elsewhere because I'd been on the same topic/tear

Even before covid, you basically have a couple generations of indoor feral children mostly abandoned by their parents except for the bare minimum to keep them alive and presentable and raised primarily by consumer electronics, it's amazing they (and we) turned out as good as they have. That said the content of the entertainment products is probably the least of your problems there. We already had the crusades over tits and blood in video games and they were cringe start to finish

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched The Pale Blue Eye last night and it really shits the bed in the last quarter or so, just veers from what was a fairly slow-burn and moody mystery into one tired cliche after another in rapid succession. It's a shame because most of the performances are good - although it always irks me to see British actors fail to hit a convincing southern accent - and the costumes and cinematography are really solid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Billy Wilder was the best of the classic era film directors. He could do every genre and in many ways he was ahead of his time.

Some Like it Hot is one of my all-time favorites.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

christmas boots posted:

Some Like it Hot is one of my all-time favorites.

Well, nobody's perfect

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

for those mcu fans out there, bollywood is trying to mcuize hindu mythology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahm%C4%81stra:_Part_One_%E2%80%93_Shiva

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZRx6IGL_k

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite part about the Save the Cat book is that the guy focuses on the box office (makes sense, he is focusing on writing scripts to make money, not art) but also has a grudge against Memento, a movie he keeps insisting was a flop.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

So now that I’ve laid out these 15 beats for you, and used examples like What’s Up, Doc?, I’m sure all you hip, young screenwriting whipper-snappers are saying, yeah, right old man. Maybe this applied in your day, but we don’t need it anymore. We eschew the need to “like” a hero (we dig Lara Croft!!!) and those boring old story beats are passé. Who needs ’em? What about Memento!! Have I grasped the basic gestalt of your objection?

Have I grasped the basic gestalt of your objection?

Existential dilemmas are what close on Saturday night, as the low-performing art house gem Memento proves. Gimmick or really dull movie? You decide.

If so, and though I’ve tried to pepper my examples with many newer movies, like Legally Blonde, you still may not believe me when I say this stuff applies. Still. Always. So for you nay-sayers, who say nay, let me use an example from my genre, PG Comedy, that shows how these beats apply in the modern world you need to master.

Oh, and btw, screw Memento!

quote:

For extra credit, look at Memento. Yes, it’s an entertaining movie; yes, it even falls into the category of genre “Dude with a Problem.” Does it also match the beats of the BS2? Or is it just a gimmick that cannot be applied to any other movie? HINT: For all the hullabaloo surrounding Memento, guess how much it made?

And if you want to seriously debate the value of Memento in modern society, please go ahead and contact me at the e-mail address provided in Chapter One. But be ready for one hell of an argument from me!! I know how much Memento made.

A more savvy writer would just go "Okay, sometimes a movie can be a hit without following this exact formula but that doesn't happen very often". Instead of, well, this.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Some Guy TT posted:

galagazombie posted:

On the other hand I’ve seen so many terrible “generic hero effortlessly beats up thug at bar while acting too cool for school” set ups in movies, that it would instantly turn me against the character out of sheer spite for having made me watch another. Good on Cameron for removing it.

Having recently watched the extended edition for the first time I feel like both Sully and the reveal of Pandora work better if you actually get to see how much of a shithole Earth is and how he's hit a particularly low point but yeah the bar scene is a bit eye-rollingly macho.

I don't think though that you can avoid him looking like a goober just because of how aggravating the "protagonist ends up passively playing both sides and then get to look like an rear end in a top hat to everyone" plot beat usually feels in movies.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Srice posted:

A more savvy writer would just go "Okay, sometimes a movie can be a hit without following this exact formula but that doesn't happen very often". Instead of, well, this.

the funniest thing is it still probably follows most of the beats as far as what's happening at each minute of the runtime

it's pretty hard to find movies that don't follow most of the 'monomyth' structure, of which save the cat is just a flavor, a flavor with a lot or prescriptions

edit: and these things are always analyzing the screenplay, which is dumb because it's like judging food by the recipe not just tasting it, it leaves no room for the raw aesthetic power of image, sound, music, performance. A big reason why writer/directors do more unique films than directors who are hired is because the screenplay, a bunch of written words, need not be the totality of the idea for the film, which contains no written words. a lot of work goes into making a screenplay readable, fast, fun when it's to be sold that doesn't need to happen for the movie to be fast fun etc.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Jan 7, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Srice posted:

alright, time for some film theory. the artistic merit of a film is determined by how much money it made (1/57)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Dude with a Problem" is perhaps the most reductive possible way to interpret Memento

e: the only way to tell a story that doesn't fit "dude with a problem" is if the story has no dudes (but "lady or NB with a problem" isn't really much different) or no problems (which sounds like a super boring story)

loquacius has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jan 7, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also thanks for all the album recs everybody :tipshat: Doing some solo parenting this weekend but I've got a lot of poo poo to check out when the work week starts up again

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius posted:

Emerging from cat jail to demand more perfect albums

eric dolphy - out to lunch
kate bush - hounds of love
laurie anderson - big science
charlie mingus - blues & roots
curtis mayfield - curtis
scott walker - tilt

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

edit: I will read the DFW thing even though his jaded 'everything sucks' writing usually itself sucks

this is my main problem with DFW, even when I agree with him his writing is just not funny or compelling

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

loquacius posted:

"Dude with a Problem" is perhaps the most reductive possible way to interpret Memento

e: the only way to tell a story that doesn't fit "dude with a problem" is if the story has no dudes (but "lady or NB with a problem" isn't really much different) or no problems (which sounds like a super boring story)

Koyaanisqatsi

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In honor of the continued perfect album contributions I'll go a little more hipster for a few more:

Sure Sure - Sure Sure
Matt Duncan - Soft Times
Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ymgve posted:

Koyaanisqatsi

The two film genres: "dude with a problem" and "Koyaanisqatsi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010