Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rarity posted:

1 point
Super Mario 64

Ouch, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also I see 3 of the games on my Top 10 have already been listed in the lower rankings, proving that everybody else is wrong and I am right!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the record, my prediction for the top 5 (I don’t know the results Rarity gave me the spreadsheet with the top 75 cut out) are Elden Ring, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade 3, Pentiment, Vampire Survivors (dunno about the order except the #1 of course)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Hooray! I helped!

I was really shocked Plague Tale Requiem not only didn’t make it into the top 75 but didn’t even come close. I guess people were really put off by what I’m told is an extremely grimdark tone.

It is a bad game, and its ranking is where it belongs

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

For the record, my prediction for the top 5 (I don’t know the results Rarity gave me the spreadsheet with the top 75 cut out) are Elden Ring, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade 3, Pentiment, Vampire Survivors (dunno about the order except the #1 of course)

My prediction would be fairly similar but replace Triangle Strategy with God of War: Ragnarok

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Ouch, man.

I was the only one who played it, but it was my number 10 in my top ten of the year :shobon:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

My prediction would be fairly similar but replace Triangle Strategy with God of War: Ragnarok

Yeah that’s also a good call. I also didn’t put any older games in my prediction but there’s always a possibility one of them could have made it in

Regy Rusty posted:

It is a bad game, and its ranking is where it belongs

My friend whose game/story opinions I trust the most loved it but Literally Everyone Else hated it haha. It was a good excuse to take some stuff off my backlog anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Requiem was worse in almost every way than Innocence. It did look nice though.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

7 of my top 10 dead already :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Welp. 3 of my games gone already. RIP wild arms, saga frontier, and kena :patriot:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

sirtommygunn posted:

7 of my top 10 dead already :negative:

They can’t take your top tens away from you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't have a single game in the top 75 :(

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bit surprised Mario + Rabbids the Spark of Hope has only one point when I ranked it sixth, maybe I just don't understand how the voting works.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Most of my list is outside the top 75 too :smith:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

I don't have a single game in the top 75 :(

Play better games haha

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I can’t even remember five of the games I had in the top ten

Olliolliworld - dead
Ace combat 7 - presumably dead
Elden ring - glorious king
GoW raggers - deffo not dead
Slay the spire - didn’t see it, presumably dead
Uhhh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chairchucker posted:

Bit surprised Mario + Rabbids the Spark of Hope has only one point when I ranked it sixth, maybe I just don't understand how the voting works.

Oops, I'll edit :sweatdrop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, it is time. Just 75 entries remain to stand in the way between one game and immortality. It could even be Immortality! Who has earned the right to call themselves Something Awful’s Game of the Year of 2022? It’s time to start our journey, right now…

Tulip posted:

Meredith Gran wrote a game that is on par with her work on OP. Her coming into game writing feels profoundly unfair.

Levin posted:

It did an admirable job encapsulating what growing up in the 90s was like.

fez_machine posted:

Confused, cringe inducing, filled with pointless cruelty.

(All the fabulous graphics in this countdown have been produced by VideoGames)

75. PERFECT TIDES
(Three Bees, 2022, New Entry)
28 points, listed 3 times, #1 2 times

Only three of you may have voted for it but with an almost perfect score Perfect Tides claims the highest average of any game on our countdown! Which can only mean one thing… It’s time to present our first Oskirb!

Ain’t he a cutie!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those graphics rule :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hooray! Oskirbs!

Perfect Tides is the only game I picked up specifically because of this thread. It sounds fantastic.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yes this is the stuff straight into my veins

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This game sounds cool but I don't know if I want to go back to the 90s. I already lived through them once :ohdear:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I wish I played Perfect Tides last year, but I've added it to my already staggering backlog to try and get through it at some point this year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The 90s owned. All I did was play video games for an entire decade

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perfect Tides has been on my wishlist for ages, think 2023 is finally the year I'll get to play it!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
(VG: I am posting the evens, but thank you Rarity for all this superb text!)

At this point it is only fair to remind you how draws are settled in the world of GOTY. Around here we use the countback rule meaning that the game with most 1st place rankings wins the tiebreaker followed by the game with the most 2nd place rankings and so on. Not coincidentally that rule comes into effect right now at #74…

Looper posted:

A real Girls Rock game, y'know.

Super Inactive posted:

Being a magical girl is awesome.

morallyobjected posted:

Someone last year listed one of the pros of this game as the fact that it's super gay.

Kay Kessler posted:

This is one of the gayest games I've seen.

74. BLUE REFLECTION: SECOND LIGHT
(Gust, 2021, Down 19)
29 points, listed 5 times

The verdict is in: gay is good!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Second Year for Second Light!

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I'm not sure if I'm surprised to see Bayo 3 not in the top games but Trombone Champ definitely got ROBBED and I will see you in court. The Trombone Court.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:haibrow:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BigDumper posted:

One of the best experiences I’ve ever had with a video game.

Issaries posted:

Actually scary.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Nothing from this year put my heart in my throat quite like the thud, thud, thud of approaching footsteps.

Entenzahn posted:

Made me really scared to have "it given to me" by X, whatever the gently caress that means.

73. RESIDENT EVIL 2
(Capcom, 2019, Re-Entry)
29 points, listed 6 times

Ah I believe DMX wrote a song about that, Entenzahn.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Knock knock, open up the door, it's real
With the non-stop, pop-pop of stainless steel

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Aipsh posted:

Olliolli world 12 points hell yeah more people gotta play it.

:hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah, I just wrapped up a playthrough of RE2:Remake and it was great, wish I'd played it earlier!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently have one hand alternating between drinking and checking this thread and the other attacking the big dragon in Caelid that doesn’t fight back to get lots of runes at a low level (with breaks so I don’t straight-up get RSI)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Truly an artist ahead of his time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I always say that in many ways this early stage of the countdown is my favourite part. There’s no need for tension, there’s no need for stress, we can all just kick back and enjoy the hidden gems and the fond memories of years past. This year I think that’s more true than ever before because this year we have some truly magical sights to show you. Which brings us on to #72…

Simulation883 posted:

Amazing tale.

lunar detritus posted:

The narrative was what got me through.

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm a big idiot and am easily drawn in by strong narrative beats.

Fix posted:

Brought me to tears.

72. GOD OF WAR
(Santa Monica, 2018, Re-Entry)
29 points, listed 5 times

We’ll be expecting to hear from Kratos much later in the day but his new adventure had you yearning for his former glories as God of War returns to our chart for the first time in three years!

(VG: I would love to grow a beard as nice as Kratos'!)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Currently have one hand alternating between drinking and checking this thread and the other attacking the big dragon in Caelid that doesn’t fight back to get lots of runes at a low level (with breaks so I don’t straight-up get RSI)

Whatcha drinkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Whatcha drinkin

Buffalo Trace + a lil Pepsi