Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jack Monroe is the perfect example of why people don't want to get publicly involved in left wing or progressive politics. You have to be bulletproof. Even if they spend 90% of their time talking about food poverty and trying to help people who are stuck in it, you still get giant knobheads writing them off because they are actually human and fallible.

Worse still is when you get very leftist accounts like babble doing it to someone saying "we should improve society somewhat" and they jump down their throat with a screenshot from 2019 that was mildly critical of Corbyn, as if it's a gotcha when the prevailing media opinion at the time was that he should be shot along with the entire labour membership.

The patreon guesses are always powerfully wrong, and if you dive into them always work off wonky calculations like "well if they have 7k followers on twitter, and we assume each of those is subscribed at the highest tier, and then multiply that by facebook, we see that the so-called 'poverty' chef has more money that Elon Musk!"

It's not like Supertanskii where she's still coming up with shitlib opinions; Jack has a troubled past and they're currently doing their best, but my god are some of the takes about them hot enough to heat a british home for up to 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

serious gaylord posted:

Frankly I don't care if they're on the grift, fuckin power to them if they've managed to do that while still helping people out.

That's the thing though - what have they actually done to help anyone? They seem reasonably well intentioned, but they're also all over the damned shop, and so far as I can see they've done the sum total of gently caress all other than self promote and say weird poo poo.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jack Monroe is the perfect example of why people don't want to get publicly involved in left wing or progressive politics. You have to be bulletproof. Even if they spend 90% of their time talking about food poverty and trying to help people who are stuck in it, you still get giant knobheads writing them off because they are actually human and fallible.

JM was the first activist-celeb where I was concious of them going through the entire media mangle from start to finish in realtime: When she first came to prominence the Daily Mail et. al. loved her ("single mum feeds her kids for a tenner a week!") as a counterpart to all those entitled millenials with their avacado toast and those whiny shirkers who complained about using food banks. Then the second - the absolute second - JM started voicing opinions about exactly why people working full time in the fifth richest nation in the world had to count pennies and budget their food bills to the nth degree they all turned on her, the character assassination began and the online chuds began trawling her accounts to find 'discrepancies' to discredit her. I remember one which was literally "Jack Monroe claims to have no money but tweeted about spending a Sunday afternoon reading a book in their garden. How can they have books and a deckchair while claiming to be poor :hmmyes:"

It's an absolute mincing machine of a gig, and I'm amazed anyone has the fortitude to put their head above the parapet, let alone to keep coming back to it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

all of which is about focusing on the person not that one thing they said that gives us a satisfying dunk.

Maybe we should borrow a leaf from the early Christians here: if we want converts (to our shared pro-social view of the world), hate the sin but love the sinner. So go hard against wrong ideas but don’t extend from that to “and they’re therefore irredeemably lovely”, which carries with it “and if any part of that sounds ok to you, I also think YOU are irredeemably lovely.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would generally suggest that a celebrity driven approach to politics is not likely to be very helpful full stop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They've put it in their own words here (click into the thread):

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1611735748113305604

I really don't get what business it is of anyones what you spend Patreon money on. I patreon a few people and if they said they spent it all on booze and furniture I'd say good on you.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sighs as I add Bill Bailey to the permanent hate crime ledger.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Can't even join a union now without getting thrown in jail

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1611738616308310018

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I remember during gamergate they kept bringing up Sarkeesian not fulfilling her Kickstarter promises like she was Theranos and needed to be investigated for fraud.

Weird weird little nerds.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
they could really do with not being on twitter

like, moreso than other people

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Don't worry, that problem will be solved for everyone soon.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1611380942144405504

I absolutely do not want to hand it to Alistair loving Campbell, but I found this interesting. Having the arch-deacon of lovely liberalism come out in favour of trans rights is quite significant, I think. These people define themselves as being culturally against whatever the people they don’t like are culturally for, and if the hard right are going all in on transphobia this forces liberals to be more supportive of trans people.

Mentioning Anita Arkeesian above makes me think that this reminds me of Gamergate actually. While it was horrible, I think it did have the side benefit of forcing the games industry/media to take a side, and not many wanted to be on the side of the psychopaths. The current trans panic may lead to a similar situation.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Comrade Fakename posted:

I absolutely do not want to hand it to Alistair loving Campbell, but I found this interesting. Having the arch-deacon of lovely liberalism come out in favour of trans rights is quite significant, I think. These people define themselves as being culturally against whatever the people they don’t like are culturally for, and if the hard right are going all in on transphobia this forces liberals to be more supportive of trans people.

Mentioning Anita Arkeesian above makes me think that this reminds me of Gamergate actually. While it was horrible, I think it did have the side benefit of forcing the games industry/media to take a side, and not many wanted to be on the side of the psychopaths. The current trans panic may lead to a similar situation.

I'm not so sure it's about our hard right, to be honest. Trans rights is an area where our lovely liberals have a hard divergence from America's lovely liberals, so this might be more reflective of the circles which Campbell moves in being more americanised than your average guardian journalist's group of pals and twitter followers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that that really holds true when you have keith sitting on the fence about it and being desperate to pander to the tories on everything else.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Happy to hand it to the oval office on this one

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I'm not so sure it's about our hard right, to be honest. Trans rights is an area where our lovely liberals have a hard divergence from America's lovely liberals, so this might be more reflective of the circles which Campbell moves in being more americanised than your average guardian journalist's group of pals and twitter followers.

The US right going transphobic makes it even more powerful for UK liberals. They feel a lot worse about calling the Tories who attend their dinner parties monsters than the uncouth people who share the exact same opinions on the other side of an ocean.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

UK liberals are our transphobes, though. it's not a Conservative issue beyond their general catch-all social regressivism. it's liberals who are arguing over other people's genitals because it's liberals who disagree about the topic

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's more like 0.5% if you include everyone who doesn't identify as the gender they were assigned at birth (and also the 6% who didn't answer the question are obviously an unknown (and also the matter of any young people living at home who haven't come out to whoever was filling in the census form yet))

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've said it before and I'll say it again: JM agreed to send a free recipe book to the local foodbank, but it never arrived. I assumed it was a blip and moved on with my life because, well, if she made a habit of this, someone would have mentioned it, right? And then a year later out comes a whole tale of other people not getting what they'd been promised. She gets a lot of credit for doing good, and I'm sure the intentions are good, but if they're never followed through then a lot of what is used to deflect criticism is an illusion. It is clear that she's had a very chaotic life but that doesn't change the fact that she's made promises that she wasn't able to keep. Like the fact she was hours late to the photoshoot because she was tired and overslept, then still gets a sympathetic write-up. But she gets away with it because she does a lot of good. So do carers but if one of them rocks up three hours late for a shift, they're getting a warning at best and sacked at worst.

Monroe is outraged at the patronising budgeting advice given by politicians because poor people already know how to manage money, and states she's been so poor she's making her own shower gels and washing sauce off spaghetti hoops because it's cheaper than fresh spaghetti. Meanwhile she was spending hundreds of pounds on furniture she didn't want, on expensive lipsticks, and on whisky. It's literally the "spending all their money on booze and designer clothes" trope made flesh.

I don't like internet pile-ons, but stuff like her £20 a week food shopping bill really does play into the hands of Tories who constantly spout nonsense that the poor are poor because of bad choices.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sebzilla posted:

It's more like 0.5% if you include everyone who doesn't identify as the gender they were assigned at birth (and also the 6% who didn't answer the question are obviously an unknown (and also the matter of any young people living at home who haven't come out to whoever was filling in the census form yet))

Huh yeah I didn't notice that but that's some real dishonest number manipulation there, he's adding together the people who specifically wrote "trans man" and "trans woman" in the optional write-in bit, as if someone who identifies their gender as something else can't be trans, not to mention the 0.24% of the population who didn't identify with the gender assigned at birth but didn't bother to write in anything. Like 0.5% is already a small number but the dude can't help himself from tweaking the numbers while refusing to understand what being trans means

more like daily septic dot org am i rite

Angepain fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 7, 2023

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lady Demelza posted:

Monroe is outraged at the patronising budgeting advice given by politicians because poor people already know how to manage money, and states she's been so poor she's making her own shower gels and washing sauce off spaghetti hoops because it's cheaper than fresh spaghetti. Meanwhile she was spending hundreds of pounds on furniture she didn't want, on expensive lipsticks, and on whisky. It's literally the "spending all their money on booze and designer clothes" trope made flesh.

Looking forward to the outrage when they buy a fridge for the new house like so many other supposedly "poor" households

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If these so called leftists are so bothered about food poverty, why do they keep talking about putting beans up their backsides?

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

In case anyone’s wondering the comments section is a endless “discussion” about sport, toilets and prisons. It’s so disheartening but also so so tedious.

But if my very existence annoys Toby Young even a tiny amount I feel I’m doing some good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If these so called leftists are so bothered about food poverty, why do they keep talking about putting beans up their backsides?

And why should sex arse workers be allowed to form unions, they are an essential part of the economy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I suppose if it's lots of horrible people having a go at Jack Monroe that should be a reason to give support. But she makes it hard work with the relentless martyrdom shict about how hard she works.

It was particularly eye rolling when she was tweeting how it's so hard for her because she's the only person doing this. Then the next tweet is bitching at Jamie Oliver and co to stay in their lane and not steal her business by doing a poverty cook book/show.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's like a Roosevelt/Hitler thing though, like one of them was a drunk with dodgy opinions but the other should be relentlessly hounded out of public life until all his dreams are in tatters and he's hiding in a bunker and finally decides to poison himself by eating one of his own meals.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair though, Monroe's presentation is usually more "It sucks to have to budget but here's some tips to not starve" whereas Oliver's is more "See, this is easy - you plebs just need to get yourself sorted out, and don't you loving dare buy any meal deals."

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Perceptions are a funny thing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
jamie oliver also assumes every frigger has a pestle and mortar, melon baller, apple corer and whatnot in their utensils drawer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'll bet a fair number of people have ended up in A&E trying to improvise the functionality with the sharp knife

such a oval office

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just pop over the channel where the markets offer the freshest and cheapest produce.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

jamie oliver also assumes every frigger has a pestle and mortar, melon baller, apple corer and whatnot in their utensils drawer
Doesn't everyone? You know, in that drawer we all have? You know the one, we all have 'that' drawer in the kitchen, don't we?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Please spoiler tag that poo poo

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Doesn't everyone? You know, in that drawer we all have? You know the one, we all have 'that' drawer in the kitchen, don't we?

I always imagined there to be McIntyre on during those Tory lockdown drinks, seems exactly the fit

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Marmaduke! posted:

Looking forward to the outrage when they buy a fridge for the new house like so many other supposedly "poor" households

Which would be a ridiculous thing to criticise and unrelated to the points people are making.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got told off in cookery class for using a knife instead of the peeler, then I switched to the peeler and immediately took a chunk out of myself with it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Skulker posted:

That's the thing though - what have they actually done to help anyone? They seem reasonably well intentioned, but they're also all over the damned shop, and so far as I can see they've done the sum total of gently caress all other than self promote and say weird poo poo.
I think it's generally the attacks that have tried to draw the focus onto the individual to draw attention away from the point they are making. There's years of activism which has been focussed around poverty. Recently, off the top of my head, there was the business about how the reported inflation rate underestimates the impact on the poorest in society because the CPI standard shopping basket is all Heinz and McVities, whereas cheaper own-brand foodstuffs have been getting their prices jacked up a lot more.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I cleaned out the random drawer of keys, batteries, sticky tape and random cat treats in my kitchen today. No melon baller though. Melon tastes horrid to me.

On why George Osborne would be at a Labour party party. I grew up in Chester and once ended up chatting to Giles Brandreth at some kind of political event back when I thought being a Liberal was the height of radicalism because my parents were both telegraph reading tories.

I remember him saying something along the lines of that as soon as the doors closed behind them, everyone became buddy buddy as hell, whatever side of the aisle they were on.

One thing I think that seriously ruffled feathers regarding the Corbyn administration was that it was no longer a given for the mutual back scratching, "its us vs the electorate" bullshit.
Of course now it's right back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

Anyone comes near me with a melon baller (parisienne spoon) is going to loving die!!!! :argh:

*some parts of my catering career were less than optimal*