Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LLSix posted:

Anyone think we'll ever get a Fallout 5?

Fallout 4 was released in 2015. That was 7 years ago.

Fallout 1 was released in 1997.
Fallout 2 was released in 1998!

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?

Another thing to remember is that Fallout 2 shipped as an incredibly horrible buggy mess, including game-breaking and save-corrupting ones. And in 1998 there weren't any Steam auto-updates to be had :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anno posted:

I was going to get Redfall anyway since I end up enjoying all Arkane games, but this interview today(a good read) saying it sometimes feels like their take on Far Cry 2 definitely has me intrigued.

Looking into this game, which I had never heard of before, it looks like it could be good but also I do mourn the movement away from single player games for this studio because when you bring multiplayer into the mix you also need to bring in "balance" and a lot of the fun, goofy stuff gets shoved to the side as a result.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is Metal Slug 3 the one were the final level was full of clones of one of the PCs and it was aliens all along which you team up with the badguy army against?

Because that's the best one.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SirSamVimes posted:

Is Metal Slug 3 the one were the final level was full of clones of one of the PCs and it was aliens all along which you team up with the badguy army against?

Yes it is, and no, no, the thirty minute final level gauntlet kinda ensures it's not.

That's not a joke, by the way, you go through four levels and then the fifth and final mission is straight up longer than the entire rest of the game. It's a bullshit slog. A bunch of it is autoscrolling. In a run and gun.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

LLSix posted:

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?

Last I heard, Bethesda Game Studios is a one-project studio, mostly. So unless we get a New Vegas style thing, where another studio makes a Fallout for them, it's going to be a while.

They're finishing up Starfield now, despite announcing Elder Scrolls 6 years ago they probably only started on it in earnest recently and only people who aren't needed for finishing up Starfield, and then I guess they'll start on Fallout 5 once ES6 is almost done.

So it might be close to a decade or something from now before we get another Fallout.
Honestly, Microsoft should probably get one of the dozens of studios they brought to make a Fallout spinoff or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes. It also includes one of my favorite moments in any video game, where it turns zombie mode against you and you immediately, instinctively register what this means for you as a player.

As stand-alone games, the original Metal Slug is easily the most newbie friendly, and Metal Slug X is probably the "Best" one, but taken as a whole 3 might be my favorite for how it caps off the whole trilogy. It's a solid game in its own right (mixed opinions on the final level aside), but it gains something in being the closer that it doesn't have if you just view it as a self-contained experience.

That said, yes, the final level is too long. Especially the auto-scroll bits. Fun the first time, not so much every other time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

But man that bit where the aliens show up and you and the bad guys team up to save Earth.

They did it twice and I liked it both times.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirVtiJuvDs

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Metal Slug 3 is a quartermuncher compared to the previous games. It feels balanced around you having a special weapon most of the time, so if you die and respawn with your default pistol you really have to be a crack shot. Otherwise you keep dying until you have to use a continue, because that respawns you with a special weapon.

3 is a better game, but if I wanted a quick half hour game of Metal Slug I would reinstall X instead. I prefer being able to survive even without a rocket lawnchair.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

LLSix posted:

Also Fallout 2 was a burning trash fire of bugs. One crash corrupted my video card drivers so bad that when I called tech support they just told me to format my hard drive (I have since learned enough about PCs to know how stupid and unnecessary that was)

One of my favorite bugs was that after you fixed up the car you could use its trunk to store your inventory but in the code it'd travel separately from your car so it could take a trip on its own and be lost like airport luggage.

I think the last and largest patch for it actually came after the studio collapsed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Veotax posted:

Honestly, Microsoft should probably get one of the dozens of studios they brought to make a Fallout spinoff or something.
They do own Obsidian...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I thought the BGS games generally had pretty good trailers - they certainly made me hyped. "In our tongue, he is called, Dovahkiin! Dragonborn!"

Holy poo poo, is that a great trailer or what? My son was 11 when the trailer dropped, and he’d just finished Daggerfall, Morrowind, and was in the end of Oblivion (with much hatred for his Annoying Fan!) played every weekend at my home. We tuned up YouTube and downloaded the thing so we could watch it without hurting our then-satellite internet and he got so excited I think he almost choked up.

“Fus-Ro-Da!” That was epic…would love to see something that awesome from Starfield…

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bad Seafood posted:

Dishonored had a playtester get stuck on the costume party level because a guard told him (Corvo, the assassin) he wasn't allowed to go upstairs.

I feel like focus groups should have access to a video lets play they can load up if they get stuck because that's the actual real world conditions. The real test should be whether the player likes the game enough to hit up the walkthrough or if they're just done the moment they get stuck, and how they feel after having seen how to do it in the walkthrough.

I recently quit Supraland because I got stuck, but if I cared enough about the game I would have just looked it up. But because I wasn't really feeling the game in general I just gave up. You can fix me getting stuck, but that doesn't fix me not caring enough about your game. If anything you'll just bland it up and give me even less reason to like it.

EDIT: Changed to playtesters to focus groups as it as more what I meant.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 8, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's okay to leave certain people behind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gaming is for everyone and there should be a game for everyone, but not every game has to be for everyone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Elden ring would be better if it had detective vision and ranni following you around telling you to check your focus

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is that God of War 3?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I’d love to see “difficulty modes” play more with increasing and decreasing UI elements. Love the Ranger Hardcore mode in Metro except for the bits where they also don’t show the QTE buttons.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

“Fus-Ro-Da!” That was epic…would love to see something that awesome from Starfield…

I suspect Starfield is Too Big To Fail, but I do wonder how well it's going to land given it doesn't have decades of history behind it like Elder Scrolls or Fallout

New IP launches are always tricky, and I straight up do not trust Bethesda to deliver a clean experience (plus I think their stewardship of Fallout has absolutely sucked rear end, I like 1, 2, and NV, none of the Beth ones)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

victrix posted:

New IP launches are always tricky, and I straight up do not trust Bethesda to deliver a clean experience (plus I think their stewardship of Fallout has absolutely sucked rear end, I like 1, 2, and NV, none of the Beth ones)

I'm the guy that only likes the Beth ones.

e: except that Fallout 76 or whatever, that looked shite

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I’d love to see “difficulty modes” play more with increasing and decreasing UI elements. Love the Ranger Hardcore mode in Metro except for the bits where they also don’t show the QTE buttons.

Dark Souls except instead of challenging boss fights, every chapter culminates in a series of short essay questions testing to see if the player understands the major themes and narrative elements of the story.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Love the Ranger Hardcore mode in Metro except for the bits where they also don’t show the QTE buttons.

i still have no idea why they very intentionally did this in all three games. i dont think any sane person would feel cheated out of their accomplishment for having just the QTE prompts visible.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think Starfield will be up there with Hogwarts, Silksong and BG3 for the big single player releases of the year. I don’t think they’ve ever advertised the Steam page for the game - as far as I can tell it isn’t even on their website - and it’s still the third most wishlisted game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wouldn't be surprised if all modern Bethesda titles get delayed by years because Todd Howard had some lovely idea again he wants in the game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

every (traditional 3D) game should have good audiovisual clues to theoretically have the HUD removed and still work excellent.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I started playing Morrowind again with OpenMW and I actually love having to follow vague directions to get to my destination. There are definitely some QoL things that could be better (like being able to have the relevant journal entry pinned on the screen or something -- I've started just screenshotting it and having it open on my second monitor) but it's so much more engrossing than just walking towards a dot. Plus it makes roads mean something because I can follow them and read the signs instead of just walking straight over a mountain or something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well up until you make a cheapo enchantment for one point of levitation for a couple of seconds to noclip up steep things

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Phigs posted:

I feel like playtesters should have access to a video lets play they can load up if they get stuck because that's the actual real world conditions. The real test should be whether the player likes the game enough to hit up the walkthrough or if they're just done the moment they get stuck, and how they feel after having seen how to do it in the walkthrough.

your brain has rotted

Volte posted:

I started playing Morrowind again with OpenMW and I actually love having to follow vague directions to get to my destination. There are definitely some QoL things that could be better (like being able to have the relevant journal entry pinned on the screen or something -- I've started just screenshotting it and having it open on my second monitor) but it's so much more engrossing than just walking towards a dot. Plus it makes roads mean something because I can follow them and read the signs instead of just walking straight over a mountain or something.

ive been playing i t for the first time and its ridiculous how much more engaging it is than the games they made after lol also the world is weird and interesting and not generic fantasy. did everyone who cared just get fired after it or something

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Volte posted:

It’s not the same, but I got a similar feeling playing Outward.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Last time I reinstalled/modded Skyrim I got a mod that disabled objective markers and the player position on the map, and another one that added more detailed explanations/directions for quests, it was really fun having to actually read roadsigns and keeping track of landmarks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stux posted:

ive been playing i t for the first time and its ridiculous how much more engaging it is than the games they made after lol also the world is weird and interesting and not generic fantasy. did everyone who cared just get fired after it or something

My favourite quest is joining the Dunmer religion. Go on a pilgrimage across the island and do weird rituals at each shrine. It's like I'm actually joining a cult instead of killing X faction in a dungeon. Or Caius getting me to do anthropological field work with the tribes. Instead of killing X faction in a dungeon.

IIRC the main writer presented Todd Howard with completely insane bizarro poo poo to trick him into saying yes to the less insane (still insane) stuff that made it into the game. Then he got fired but he still tweets out "canon" lore every once in a while. Apparently the dwarves made a time travelling space gundam or some poo poo.

E: oh yeah CHIM explains how cheating with the console is some Buddhist transcendent thing, go wild its canon

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bad Seafood posted:

Dishonored had a playtester get stuck on the costume party level because a guard told him (Corvo, the assassin) he wasn't allowed to go upstairs.

Lmao

DerekSmartymans posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a great trailer or what? My son was 11 when the trailer dropped, and he’d just finished Daggerfall, Morrowind, and was in the end of Oblivion (with much hatred for his Annoying Fan!) played every weekend at my home. We tuned up YouTube and downloaded the thing so we could watch it without hurting our then-satellite internet and he got so excited I think he almost choked up.

It's always bugged me that in the trailer it's "Fus-Ro-Dah" and in the game it's "Fus-Rodah!"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fruits of the sea posted:

My favourite quest is joining the Dunmer religion. Go on a pilgrimage across the island and do weird rituals at each shrine. It's like I'm actually joining a cult instead of killing X faction in a dungeon. Or Caius getting me to do anthropological field work with the tribes. Instead of killing X faction in a dungeon.

IIRC the main writer presented Todd Howard with completely insane bizarro poo poo to trick him into saying yes to the less insane (still insane) stuff that made it into the game. Then he got fired but he still tweets out "canon" lore every once in a while. Apparently the dwarves made a time travelling space gundam or some poo poo.

that’s not even morrowind lore that was canonized in daggerfall

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

loving up the main quest then having a backup way to win anyway owns

It kind of owns more that it's bugged and perma-fucks you if you do it too, instead of temporarily hurting you

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Volte posted:

It turned out to be way easier for developers to just fill their worlds with icons than to actually design navigable maps, so we skipped directly from vague directions and aimless wandering to completely mindless straight-line travel between points of interest.

But yeah, making it ridiculously easy and mindless to move around in an open-world game feels like it comes from the same school of game design as letting players spend real money on items or boosts that just undo or trivialize whole gameplay elements. You're basically admitting that the open-world part of your game is so weak that exploration or slow travel from place to place isn't worth it and won't be any fun.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oblivion still has a pretty good overworld because you can always orient yourself by looking for the white gold tower or the river and coast but then they covered everything with procgen forest so actually walking from point to point is not great.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I do enjoy Oblivion's overworld, but the game kind of falls apart if you try to remove quest markers. Even within individual dungeons, without the marker directing you to the exact book you're supposed to be picking up or whatever, you can end up completely stuck.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Mokinokaro posted:

Nah, the account's from 2006-2007 iirc. Some admin pranked me years back.
It's from September 16, 2007.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Got my Steam Deck, and A) this thing is a lot bigger than I expected and B) why did they do the same button names as the Xbox controller but they switched the orientation.

Neat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Of the modern Bethesda games, the biggest issues for me were:

- Fallout 3's map design being pretty poopy, so you had no choice but to chase compass blips in order to find anything but the most obvious POIs.

- Oblivion letting you fast travel between every city from the word go.

In the latter case I simply played like I had to unlock fast travel as normal and had an alright time if it.

Though I'm also perfectly fine with the compass existing as long as it's not the primary way I'm navigating*; following the terrain/landmarks/POIs while knowing I'm not completely off track is my preferred style.

*Same vibe as many GTA-style games where you can just stare at the minimap and navigate entirely through that and it sucks.