Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is it too early to start praying for Crankshaft to be cancelled too? That way Batiuk can just gently caress all the way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 03, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl: some great Hastaro faces in this one

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Oh yeah - late 1800s America loving sucked socially, politically and morally, or Trouble brewing..., or Campbell gets thrown a bone

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

:china:

She needs a writer. These narration boxes are annoying.

And an artist.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Edit: Look at all this detail! The pattern on Mr. Sputter's tie, the folds in Mrs. Sputter's apron, even the food on the table and the candles.

manero fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 7, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't know either, for the record, but my assumption based on my knowledge of RETAILS FROM THE FUTURE is that she has to ditch the whole plan when she finds out she's pregnant and needs her health insurance.

Oh yeah, that's the true retail life pain.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

shut up old man.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Vargo posted:

Curtis

shut up old man.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Are we going to get Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Baseball Edition
Because I'd be all for that

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/6/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 2/27 - 3/1/50

Fonzo von Hanky?

Smokey Stover 3/16/52

Everyday Movies 12/20/35

"Shall we take a chance on him, Duke, or shall we make sure of a couple of frankfurters?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/24-26/40

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/26/40

Ah ha. I was wondering how being invisible was going to be useful in helping these people out of poverty.

I'm enjoying this strip so far, thanks for posting it. :)

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 27, 1955)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whew I got really behind on the previous thread and this one but now I'm caught up.

My unsolicited thoughts on a random bunch of comics:

I'm still not a fan of OOW, no offense to those who love it. I still find it fairly inscrutable at times and even at its "best" it just feels like old timey Family Circus where it isn't actually funny, just meant to invoke feelings of nostalgia or twee.

On the other hand, I have grown to absolutely love OBH. I don't know if the Major is particularly responsible for it, but he at least helped. If this is the case, I guess I understand why he became the strip's breakout character.

I'm really enjoying the Archie comics. They're well drawn and interesting, and Jughead rules.

Invisible Scarlet is interesting but didn't it start out with her being a suspect in a murder or something? And then it just jumped to a guy wanting to win a baseball game. I'm liking it so far, at least.

Demons of Baseball is also fantastic now that the jumping around through time and new character introductions seem to have stopped and is mostly focusing on the team. I mean, it was fantastic before, but it's really hit its stride now I feel.

I'm glad Funky Winkerbean is dead even if it went out in the dumbest loving way possible. And although I should repeat to myself "It's just a comic, I should really just relax," I can't help but be confused and annoyed by the whole "timelines merging" poo poo. Like (and someone pointed this out in the leadup to the end) what about those twins who are still in high school in Crankshaft but adults in Funky Winkerbean? What happened to their adult selves? Did they just fade out of existence? Somehow merge with the younger clones? Do both actually simultaneously exist and now there's two sets of identical identical twins at different ages in the world? God I hate TomBat.

This latest strip also doesn't have a loving punchline. "Let's use the TV cameras to see who might have the ball at the bottom of the pile." That's what every loving airing of an NFL game does! That isn't a joke! It's just saying what happens during a football game! gently caress you!

JethroMcB posted:

Perhaps the most beloved annual tradition of Curtis: The Kwanzaa story kind of petering out to a "Wha...huh?" moral that doesn't line up with anything we just read over the last two weeks.

My favorite Kwanzaa story is the one of the village that was having a drought and people were dying of starvation and thirst, but one woman had a beautiful green garden, because she had a magic jug that produced water, and didn't share it with anyone else in the village. When some women went "Hey where is that woman getting water from, we need water to live, let's follow her and find out," they stole her jug because they loving need water to live but were punished by vomiting out spiders and tadpoles and poo poo. Just "The end! No moral!"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Invisible Scarlet is interesting but didn't it start out with her being a suspect in a murder or something? And then it just jumped to a guy wanting to win a baseball game. I'm liking it so far, at least.

You mean the sample strips I posted in the last thread? No, those were from 1944, a few years later in the strip's run.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In which Val discovers standoff armor

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 27, 1955)

oh i love this panel, such a great face on the dude with the leather shield

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Selachian posted:

You mean the sample strips I posted in the last thread? No, those were from 1944, a few years later in the strip's run.

Ah! My reading comprehension is bad, I didn't realize they were only samples. Anyway like I said, it's good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

She needs a writer. These narration boxes are annoying.
And an artist, let's be honest.

One thing I've been chewing on for a while: the bassigator is not a very good faux cryptid. They don't tend to be "two animals mashed together". Unless Rusty actually isn't into cryptids but into [/i]folksy tales[/i] like the jackalope or Jersey devil.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still not a fan of OOW, no offense to those who love it. I still find it fairly inscrutable at times and even at its "best" it just feels like old timey Family Circus where it isn't actually funny, just meant to invoke feelings of nostalgia or twee.

On the other hand, I have grown to absolutely love OBH. I don't know if the Major is particularly responsible for it, but he at least helped. If this is the case, I guess I understand why he became the strip's breakout character.

I can at least understand where you're coming from on OOW, even if I'm obviously in another camp. The writeups usually describe it as the first "stick it on the fridge" strip, and I'm not convinced that would've been everybody's thing even back then. :shrug:

But as long as Family Circus came up, I ran across this one last year and it felt...eerily familiar.

(School Days (Clare Victor "Dwig" Dwiggins), November 19, 1919)

My Lovely Horse posted:

One thing I've been chewing on for a while: the bassigator is not a very good faux cryptid. They don't tend to be "two animals mashed together". Unless Rusty actually isn't into cryptids but into folksy tales like the jackalope or Jersey devil.

The basselope got to Rusty first.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts: In case you missed yesterday, Charlie Brown and Sally's school collapsed overnight due to a case of midcentury ennui. (January 10, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 24, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1939)

Just in time for the weekend, here's Thursday's Olive & Popeye! (Randy's shift)

Out Our Way (October 7-9, 1940)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If you're enough of a do-gooder that you're hunting down a cop to tell them, "Hey, I ran that red light back there", I'll think you're a simpleton too.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The long nose on Cuddles is great

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm gonna go nuts if I don't get this out there: Comic Strips 2023: More Like Funky Has-bean

Anyway, Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is it too early to start praying for Crankshaft to be cancelled too? That way Batiuk can just gently caress all the way off.
I've been doing it for years.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl: some great Hastaro faces in this one

There's a special liquid to wash rice?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Hippocrass posted:

And an artist.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And an artist, let's be honest.
:lol: Fair, but she's done some good artwork at random points and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that if she had split the duties with someone else she could put more effort into the art.

Mary Worth

Well she's not with you, Wilbur, so she's like 90% of the way there.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I assume this was 30 years before firearm safety was invented?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ellie the beep posted:

oh i love this panel, such a great face on the dude with the leather shield

The arrow passed underneath his moustache :stonk:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

There's a special liquid to wash rice?

no, she's been washing it with dishsoap

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Technowolf posted:

I assume this was 30 years before firearm safety was invented?

Remember the constant stream of "And He Did!" where children kill themselves with their father's guns?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no, she's been washing it with dishsoap
Is that a thing? I’ve never heard of that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Comic Strips 2023: You've had a tough time, Les Moore

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Murdstone posted:

It's a joke. You wash dishes with soap (aka washing up liquid). Washing rice with soap sounds awful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wtf why isn't Wilbur drunk and hitting on Nan

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a joke. You wash dishes with soap (aka washing up liquid). Washing rice with soap sounds awful.

Her character is the trope of Sheltered Rich Girl On Her Own For The First Time. She's never had to make her own rice before, so when she was told she had to wash it first she assumed they meant with soap.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/24-26/49

Archie 2/28 - 3/2/46

So, the "stag line" is the guys who showed up without dates. In some situations, they were allowed to "cut in" during a dance by tapping the guy on the shoulder and then taking a dance with the guy's date. There were fairly elaborate social rules about when you could cut in and with who.

(Was there a similar system for women? You know there wasn't. If you were a girl and you didn't get a date, your options were either stay home or go to the dance alone, be a pathetic wallflower, and hope some guy gave you a pity dance.)

I'm pretty sure the joke in the second strip is that cutting in is banned at the school dance, and Weatherbee missed all the guys cutting in on Archie but catches him when he's trying to get back to his own date.

Also for the It Was Another Time file: high school students leaving prom to go to a nightclub.