Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

The Deck has definitely changed the way I game and I know so so many others feel the same. I play more, I want to play more, I’m trying things I wouldn’t have bothered with before. It’s great!

Got mine arriving today, can't wait to finally burn through my Steam backlog while chilling on the couch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m running incantations and arcane/faith right now but I read a whole back that Elden Ring intelligence magic got big buffs and rolls coal now. I might respec into it for the latter half of the game just to use Rennala’s staff AND moon spell.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m working on my Int/Dex build. Ran into Caelid to get the Meteoric Ore Blade which will tide me over until I get the Moonveil and snagged the Meteorite Staff too. Not sure which staff I’ll end up with, maybe the Rennala one but drat you need a lot of Int for that poo poo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The more I play valkyrie profile the more I think it's cool as hell

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's definitely the sort of game you only got during the insane 90's/00's experimental period before everything got too expensive to be weird with it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Moonveil has such a sick weapon art. There aren’t many arcane or faith scaling weapons as cool as it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's definitely the sort of game you only got during the insane 90's/00's experimental period before everything got too expensive to be weird with it.

Yeah what a weird awesome gem. Insanely happy to be playing it for the first time.

You know what else I've never played? Vagrant Story. *cough cough* square.....??

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Witcher ps5 update is loving great, they added a bunch if mini quests to the game without putting them in the patch notes lol, thought i was losing my mind cos i never saw them back on pc in 2015, some of them let you use the magic lamp too. Plus you get extra tools, like they added a candle lantern, useable, that works like the magic lamp but just normal light.

The best thing tho, and i think this is part of the full combat rebalance 3 mod they added in, is you can now fight high level monsters/contracts without dying to 1 hit or the game just ending if you even look at it. I started to suspect it when i hit a few high level ? markers and was shocked they were not 1 hitting me. This was major issue with the original release, cos right off the bat you are getting high level contracts. Now, if you see a level 25 contract and you are level 8, you can do it but you gotta prepare but its not game limiting you impossible. Im level 15 and im finishing up level 35 contracts, cos im a true witcher :cool: drastically changes how you approach the structure of the game now.

The red mark is still on quests and monsters tho, but it means "you need to have full oils and potions and be prepared baby" huge groups of high levels are gonna gently caress you over if you are just walzting in.

Tons of little changes and additions, all for the better. Havent even been to novigrad yet. Camera and Rt owns. I have 3 random crashes and today all my settings reset for some reason (it claimed the game was updated but it hasnt lol) :poland:

I think the only thing that would make it better now would be letting you apply blade oils via the l1 quick menu. When you upgrade the oils so they last longer, its a bit better but still annoying as gently caress to have to go into the inventory to reapply an oil during a fight. Should have blocked that during combat or something, at least then it would make sense

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful GOTY thread countdown is happening now and for the next many hours! Come join and do posts! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019454

(no misery gutses)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

Witcher ps5 update is loving great, they added a bunch if mini quests to the game without putting them in the patch notes lol, thought i was losing my mind cos i never saw them back on pc in 2015, some of them let you use the magic lamp too. Plus you get extra tools, like they added a candle lantern, useable, that works like the magic lamp but just normal light.

The best thing tho, and i think this is part of the full combat rebalance 3 mod they added in, is you can now fight high level monsters/contracts without dying to 1 hit or the game just ending if you even look at it. I started to suspect it when i hit a few high level ? markers and was shocked they were not 1 hitting me. This was major issue with the original release, cos right off the bat you are getting high level contracts. Now, if you see a level 25 contract and you are level 8, you can do it but you gotta prepare but its not game limiting you impossible. Im level 15 and im finishing up level 35 contracts, cos im a true witcher :cool: drastically changes how you approach the structure of the game now.

The red mark is still on quests and monsters tho, but it means "you need to have full oils and potions and be prepared baby" huge groups of high levels are gonna gently caress you over if you are just walzting in.

Tons of little changes and additions, all for the better. Havent even been to novigrad yet. Camera and Rt owns. I have 3 random crashes and today all my settings reset for some reason (it claimed the game was updated but it hasnt lol) :poland:

I think the only thing that would make it better now would be letting you apply blade oils via the l1 quick menu. When you upgrade the oils so they last longer, its a bit better but still annoying as gently caress to have to go into the inventory to reapply an oil during a fight. Should have blocked that during combat or something, at least then it would make sense

I’m balls deep in yet another Witcher 3 playthrough and I’m not even mad, game is GOAT and the update is lit.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Quote is not edit

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

VideoGames posted:

Because of Symphony of the Night (godlike) I was on the hunt also for jRPG platformers. I found one and have been playing 20-30 minutes of it each night. It is called TimeSpinner and it is very Symphony of the Night. The level up notification especially. It is really decent to control and the combat stuff is superb! I like using the orbs a ton. It even has equipment and familiars and relics. It is SO Symphony of the Night that I am having another blast. :3:

These games and old jRPGs are perfect for the Stream Dreck.

Video gaming ftw!

It just came out of a steam sale, but Monster Sanctuary's a nice mix of turn-based monster fights and Metroidvania platforming. It's got a nice big map, you get more overworld traversal/puzzle solving options as you build your roster of monsters, exploration is pretty open ended in how you want to progress, too. You run a team of six normally, though fights are 3v3 unless you're fighting an opponent instead of wild monsters, and every monster can be useful in its own way thanks to each of them having 3-5 skill trees. Plenty of QoL like full healing after every fight, skill tree resetting, new monsters being brought up to your roster's average upon acquisition.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I never got to the end of the Witcher back in the PS4 days so I was debating if going through the beginning parts again would be worth it. Sounds like it is.

Here's another question: Does Skyrim still hold up as a fun new game to play or is it mostly fueled by nostalgia? I've literally never played it. Morrowind was probably one of my favorite games of all time and I thought Oblivion was alright.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jelly posted:

I never got to the end of the Witcher back in the PS4 days so I was debating if going through the beginning parts again would be worth it. Sounds like it is.

Here's another question: Does Skyrim still hold up as a fun new game to play or is it mostly fueled by nostalgia? I've literally never played it. Morrowind was probably one of my favorite games of all time and I thought Oblivion was alright.

Skyrim is probably the peak example of “widely loved and critically well received game that people have now turned on and hate with a burning passion”.

It’s very dry and bland in terms of story and writing and all that, and repetition sets in quick in terms of combat, but there is a joy to simply exploring and dungeon crawling and looting everything that isn’t nailed down. It still looks fairly nice.

My first Scrolls game was Oblivion, and Skyrim is a big improvement on it imo, but I also understand most people think it’s oversimplified compared to like Morrowind and stuff.

I think if you can get it for relatively cheap you will have a good time with it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Skyrim is good up until the point where you kill your first dragon. Everything after that just throw the game in the trash cuz you're done with it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

man nurse posted:

I’m balls deep in yet another Witcher 3 playthrough and I’m not even mad, game is GOAT and the update is lit.

This update has caused me to pretty much do a 180 on TW3. When it came out I finished it, but felt like it was sort of a slog. I only played it for about 70 hours (which is a lot but probably not nearly half the content of the base game) and it was over the course of like 6 months because I would just play it for an hour and get bored. This time it's just totally clicked and I'm glued to it for hours at a time.

I think when I first played it I was in the mindset of "Dark Souls or bust" and just could not look past the bad combat in TW3, then Bloodborne came out which sort of killed it. But this time I'm just really enjoying how cool and fleshed out the world is and how good the quests are and the gameplay loop has grabbed me more. I'm still just barely tolerating the combat, but I've hit this point where I think I have stockholm syndrome and I don't actively hate it anymore. It's still bad though. Also even on hard this has to be one of the easiest games ever. The only potential difficulty comes from jank.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jelly posted:

It’s definitely more Oblivion than Morriwind but to me Skyrim is absolutely one of the greatest games of all time that I revisit every few years and enjoy more each time and more specifically more than most of what I’ve played in recent memory :D There’s nothing like it. If it clicks with you you’ll have a game for life. The idea of getting to experience it for the first time fresh sounds amazing to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Like most new Bethesda games, Skyrim falls under cozy gaming. You know what it is and it's repetitive as hell but it's very relaxing to go through it at a slow pace.

Also I really think it's good winter time gaming.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I started another playthrough of the Witcher 3 last night.
Great to be back in it. The woman with the pan, the invading general trying to take care of the locals, the arsonist, the man who lost his box. All such great little moments already.

It's jankier than I remember it being. The opening tutorial and running across the castle walls is ROUGH. the new lighting is lovely though, the grasses and trees getting shadows into the distance makes a huge difference to how grounded everything feels.

My friend who's never played it before started a playthrough at the same time as me last night - I'm pumped for him to experience it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m about 25ish hours into Cyberpunk and I think I hit a game breaking bug I’m in the mall trying to track down a net runner and I’m told to go to the Cinema, but the doors don’t open. I checked YouTube and apparently you’re supposed to go through an area near the van and up the stairs and Placide says he will open a gate for you…but it’s closed for me, and I never got a dialog saying he will open it so I’m stuck

I tried loading an earlier save but, no dice.

It’s just as well, I started to reach the point where I wasn’t having fun. The game makes a very strong first impression, and the Arasaka heist is legit great, but after that the game becomes rote. I maximized assault and it felt like I broke the game considering how easy I can murder my way anywhere. And the side quests are not great. I also just don’t really care about any of the world building…

Maybe I’ll just replay Witcher 3. I loved that game, and the new update gives me a reason to revisit.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I really don't know how many bugs they've fixed since release when my friend and I were playing it but he had a similar issue where one of the Cyberpsycho's glitched into the ground where he couldn't loot him so he was just poo poo out of luck.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I started Mass Effect LE, haven't played them since their original releases, and I think I'm getting close to the first mayor choice, so, do you guys keep Kaidan or Ashley??

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PacoPepe posted:

I started Mass Effect LE, haven't played them since their original releases, and I think I'm getting close to the first mayor choice, so, do you guys keep Kaidan or Ashley??

Ashley was the clear choice for me when I first played it! I can’t wait to revisit/play all of ME1-3 :)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PacoPepe posted:

They both suck rear end but Ashley is the correct choice.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

PacoPepe posted:

i remember really not liking Kaidan

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

When I played them originally, I saved Ashley twice before despite being a space racist. Decided to save Kaiden this time playing the LE, and in ME3, I wish I saved Ashley again. He's just so boring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

PacoPepe posted:

Ashley is better at combat and her xenophobia is more interesting than Kaidan's....nothing

But in ME3 if you're playing a biotic Kaidan will teach you reave and it owns

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it just me or is there just wayyy too many drowners in Witcher 3? Why are there like 100 times more of them than any other enemy type? Also one of my least favorite enemies. They look stupid and have an annoying attack pattern any it’s silly they live like 10 feet away from humans most of the time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah everyone is like my wife and kids got dragged away by drowners. No poo poo dude you built your house ten meters away from drowner land.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

Ashley is better at combat and her xenophobia is more interesting than Kaidan's....nothing

Yeah, this. Ashley is someone you can like or dislike but at least there's something to base that decision on. Kaidan just takes up space in the vehicle bay

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah I remember saving Ashley as maleshep and Kaidan as femshep, i guess it made sense, but i doubt I'll do double playthroughs this time, so I'll just follow the forum consensus, sorry Kaidan!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

It was jarring how drastically Ashley's appearance had changed between 2 and 3

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Kaiden bit the bullet twice already and I'll do it a third time when I play the remaster

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find the economy of TW3 sort of fascinating and a mixed bag. I guess Cyberpunk was the same way, but they are both slow as molasses compared to most open world games these days, which pretty much=play the game and get all of the poo poo eventually, doled out in a manner the game has planned for you and sit on tons of money you don't even need. TW3 really feels like you are just scraping by and you really have to take initiative and go out of your way if you want cool poo poo. The bad end of it is that alchemy is just sort of ridiculous. The game has like 10000 crafting components and probably thousands of recipes and despite the endless poo poo in my inventory I feel like I can never actually make anything useful and none of it matters because the o dodge move is so powerful that I don't ever actually need to use alchemy to prep for anything. But when I do actually need something I can rarely craft it and doing do would be such a pain that I just go do something else.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

PacoPepe posted:

Kaiden and not space racist. Easy choice.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rollerdrome is so good lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I find the economy of TW3 sort of fascinating and a mixed bag. I guess Cyberpunk was the same way, but they are both slow as molasses compared to most open world games these days, which pretty much=play the game and get all of the poo poo eventually, doled out in a manner the game has planned for you and sit on tons of money you don't even need. TW3 really feels like you are just scraping by and you really have to take initiative and go out of your way if you want cool poo poo. The bad end of it is that alchemy is just sort of ridiculous. The game has like 10000 crafting components and probably thousands of recipes and despite the endless poo poo in my inventory I feel like I can never actually make anything useful and none of it matters because the o dodge move is so powerful that I don't ever actually need to use alchemy to prep for anything. But when I do actually need something I can rarely craft it and doing do would be such a pain that I just go do something else.

I got 5k before ive even got to novigrad. What you spending those crowns on? Im on death march too lol

When you get a decent amount of crafting/monster parts, start selling like 80% of them. Sell all the swords and useless armour you keep triping up on. I had the first outfit until level 11 when i switch to griffin. Probably gonna keep that until 20 and switch to henry cavil outfit (that quest is good btw and lol clearly made by people who level dev cyperpunk levels. Feels a bit out of place with other caves and dungeons. Doug cockle sounds a bit different too, like hes got a cold coming back for geralt lol

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 8, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Finished Miles Morales. My body is fully ready for Spider-Man 2

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Finished Miles Morales. My body is fully ready for Spider-Man 2

September/november

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

September/november

My hero :swoon: