Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/07/tiktok-car-fishing-craze-leads-to-closure-of-ancient-rufford-ford

slightly disappointed, it was a good source of idiots ruining their cars and only being dangers to themselves.
In some the footage I've seen there's been a few close calls involving bystanders or locals. Closure was pretty much inevitable once it became a crowded, weekly tourist attraction and folk started driving like the genius in this first clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5IscUpfjA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the number of people killed by bikes even statistically significant? It's not like there's a cyclodomor being perpetrated in city streets

No.

Apparently the UK has about 3 people killed by cyclists each year, but I couldn't find any details on those deaths. For comparison, UK had about 1,600 traffic fatalities for 2021, so bicyclists kill less than 0.2% as cars. There was one story of a cyclist being sentenced to 18 months for killing a pedestrian! Which is nuts because car drivers don't face any sort of penalty like that.

This 2018 article from NY Times states that 315 pedestrians were injured by cyclists around Manhattan. There isn't a death count anywhere, but the article makes it sound like a cyclist kills a pedestrian every few months. But cars killed 46 people in Manhattan in 2021, and injured over 9,000 people.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

let's destroy some cars

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Unfortunately the best way to get away with it is to use another car.

On the plus side, that is two cars destroyed at once.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Anyone who thinks cyclists can't be absolute assholes in traffic needs to try downtown Copenhagen in rush hour. Way more rear end in a top hat bikes than cars, though mostly because there are just way more bikes. All locals too, tourists don't have a chance in that kind of traffic.
Pedestrians and bus riders can be assholes too, specifically when I'm pushing a baby stroller, some people refuse to go slightly out of their way so I can fit, or they will even lean on obviously non leanable surfaces.

But yeah, rear end in a top hat on bike is at worst a broken arm, usually less, rear end in a top hat on foot is just an rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat on car kills people.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

No.

Apparently the UK has about 3 people killed by cyclists each year, but I couldn't find any details on those deaths. For comparison, UK had about 1,600 traffic fatalities for 2021, so bicyclists kill less than 0.2% as cars. There was one story of a cyclist being sentenced to 18 months for killing a pedestrian! Which is nuts because car drivers don't face any sort of penalty like that.

This 2018 article from NY Times states that 315 pedestrians were injured by cyclists around Manhattan. There isn't a death count anywhere, but the article makes it sound like a cyclist kills a pedestrian every few months. But cars killed 46 people in Manhattan in 2021, and injured over 9,000 people.

see bad posts like this are why I felt like I had to make my bad post on the last page, you're presenting this as a definitive answer to an ill-posed question because you are still pro-wheel in your heart. not because there is a statistical answer to the question of whether those 3 deaths/year in the UK are meaningful.

they're in the UK tho so probably they aren't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bikeweirds can't countenance even the slightest most gentle criticism of their hobby because they believe, axiomatically, that their rights are under relentless assault at all times and to even possibly bring up that some cyclists may behave in not the greatest manner is to reveal yourself to be an acolyte of the automotive Moloch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:drat:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bikeweirds can't countenance even the slightest most gentle criticism of their hobby because they believe, axiomatically, that their rights are under relentless assault at all times and to even possibly bring up that some cyclists may behave in not the greatest manner is to reveal yourself to be an acolyte of the automotive Moloch.

lmao just popping into the i hate cars thread to emphasize the dangers of cycling

why are people mad at me!?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lmao, even.

I don't know if I'm being lobbed in with the anti cyclists though, but to be clear, the pedal powered bicycle is the pinnacle of personal transportation.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
now is the time for solidarity

four wheels bad

two wheels good

legs great

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2023/01/need-a-new-years-resolution-try-walking/

I walked a couple miles for a chore and some fast food. Glad I did it but drat if it isn’t lovely sidewalk after lovely sidewalk.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Irony.or.Death posted:

in relation to what? there are no statistical tests you apply to a single number. like you could ask is a bike hitting someone more likely to kill them than another pedestrian hitting them or a car hitting them or something, or ask what they're more likely to be hit by, and with a little work frame those questions in statistical test terms, but the question as you put it doesn't make any sense. this is probably because people who don't spend their lives in a research setting only encounter the phrase being misused. i do not blame you, i blame the science writers.

that's not entirely true, there are tests for comparing various estimators like the mean to a specific value, i.e. Ho: u=n vs. Ho: u!=n. But in this case, all you could do was compare, say the mean number of bicylists killed per unit time, or the percentage, etc. to a specific value, but that value is up to the person to choose.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just went for a leisurely bike ride :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Just went for a leisurely bike ride :)

monster

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I’m a certified bikeweird and I think it’s bad to go flying into or block a crosswalk with your bike when pedestrians have the right of way. don’t hit or frighten peds/wheelchair users/kids while riding, p simple stuff. now let’s crush cars into cubes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I wish there were pedestrians and cyclists to be mad at in my city. I'm shocked when I meet another pedestrian in this car hell hole.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Admittedly I don't take public transit often, but at least in my neighbourhood I'm actually kind of impressed with the new streetcars' 'do not pass, doors are open/ing' warnings/lights.

(For those not from around here, that's the Spadina car which is almost always completely separated from traffic by the boarding island seen in the pic; most streetcar routes are not like this and you have to cross one or two lanes of traffic to get to the sidewalk. The text and warning sign light up when the doors are opening, along with flashing LED strips along the side of the vehicle. The old streetcars simply had a warning sticker in the back window.)

I still always stick my head out and check because I've been nearly hit by drivers and cyclists a handful of times before. But almost every time I have in the past couple of years, I'm surprised to see a car actually just sitting there by the rear of the streetcar.

I still miss the old CLRV streetcars though :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

pedestrian supremacy is the ultimate urban planner purity test and I support it (tentatively)

urban planners should definitely plan around walking and not cycling, yes. bikes are still good

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
No longer content with hitting people directly, drivers are now scoring combos.

CBC.ca: Light pole knocked down by delivery truck hits woman, leaving her with critical injuries.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrian-light-pole-critical-injuries-1.6706766

Mister Speaker posted:

Admittedly I don't take public transit often, but at least in my neighbourhood I'm actually kind of impressed with the new streetcars' 'do not pass, doors are open/ing' warnings/lights.

(For those not from around here, that's the Spadina car which is almost always completely separated from traffic by the boarding island seen in the pic; most streetcar routes are not like this and you have to cross one or two lanes of traffic to get to the sidewalk. The text and warning sign light up when the doors are opening, along with flashing LED strips along the side of the vehicle. The old streetcars simply had a warning sticker in the back window.)

I still always stick my head out and check because I've been nearly hit by drivers and cyclists a handful of times before. But almost every time I have in the past couple of years, I'm surprised to see a car actually just sitting there by the rear of the streetcar.

I still miss the old CLRV streetcars though :(

Drivers don't give a poo poo, I live above a streetcar stop and the evenings are a non-stop cacophony of streetcars laying it on at drivers racing to do a right turn through some passengers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ensign Expendable posted:

Drivers don't give a poo poo, I live above a streetcar stop and the evenings are a non-stop cacophony of streetcars laying it on at drivers racing to do a right turn through some passengers.

Maybe people on Dundas West are just nicer.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lmao this new av is perfect

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I realize some people are just pretending not to understand this but. Saying "cyclists can be dangerous too" is obnoxious because it's not deployed to engage with the nuance of the multimodal urban environment but solely to deflect critiques of drivers and blame the status quo on victims. Stalling and deflection are the fundamental tactics of urban reactionaries. So in conclusion, suck my dick off of my torso. Goodbye

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Most of the reason cyclists are dangerous to themselves or pedestrians is from lack of infrastructure anyways, you wouldn’t drive on a sidewalk or walk on a highway, but that’s essentially what you’re stuck doing on a bike in north america.

tl;dr gently caress cars

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you want to go on the sidewalk with your bike you’re welcome to hop off and walk it. never had a pedestrian ring at me to get out of the way and get mad if I don’t hear you. it’s not that hard, as you see I’m literally walking here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Follow the science: walk.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nitevision posted:

I realize some people are just pretending not to understand this but. Saying "cyclists can be dangerous too" is obnoxious because it's not deployed to engage with the nuance of the multimodal urban environment but solely to deflect critiques of drivers and blame the status quo on victims. Stalling and deflection are the fundamental tactics of urban reactionaries. So in conclusion, suck my dick off of my torso. Goodbye

thats right

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

if you want to go on the sidewalk with your bike you’re welcome to hop off and walk it. never had a pedestrian ring at me to get out of the way and get mad if I don’t hear you. it’s not that hard, as you see I’m literally walking here.

anyone who tells a pedestrian to get out of their way on their bike is in the wrong and so is anyone who says bicyclists need to get off their bikes on the sidewalk. it's that simple. just go around them instead of through them, they have right of way

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I spent from 2005 till 2019 basically walking constantly around seattle and there's been about one time exactly that I was like "man that biker might hurt someone" and it was walking along the sidewalk on university ave between 45th and 47th and a bicyclist buzzed me while I was walkin with headphones and I was mildly irritated.

Most people tend to ride in the street in that area anyway especially now.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Jan 8, 2023

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/07/tiktok-car-fishing-craze-leads-to-closure-of-ancient-rufford-ford

slightly disappointed, it was a good source of idiots ruining their cars and only being dangers to themselves.

quote:

Midlifecrisis101x said: “I had a guy come over from Germany and spend a week in his car in the car park. Twice. He’d just sit there with his supply of food and watch.”

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol at some of the new avs here

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is the I hate cars thread not the I hate wheeled vehicles even if they don't have motors thread!!

silicone thrills posted:

I spent from 2005 till 2019 basically walking constantly around seattle and there's been about one time exactly that I was like "man that biker might hurt someone" and it was walking along the sidewalk on university ave between 45th and 47th and a bicyclist buzzed me while I was walkin with headphones and I was mildly chuffed.

... you were mildly pleased?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

eXXon posted:

This is the I hate cars thread not the I hate wheeled vehicles even if they don't have motors thread!!

... you were mildly pleased?

man i was always under the impression that chuffed meant bad. :rip: im dumb. I was like a step below irritated. idk

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eXXon posted:

the way car infrastructure results in this situation is relevant. in general it’s natural to compare cars and bikes as conveyances in different ways, especially because there are things you can do with a car you might not accomplish pedestrianly but could with a bike.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

man i was always under the impression that chuffed meant bad. :rip: im dumb. I was like a step below irritated. idk

English is stupid and it means both lmao https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/chuffed

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

hailthefish posted:

English is stupid and it means both lmao https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/chuffed

I am really chuffed about this!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hailthefish posted:

Huh. well. I guess I just probably wouldn't use it anymore because of that confusion. I'd only heard it in the context of something someone would be displeased about, never happy about.

god this language is garbage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

many such cases. bitte!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

Huh. well. I guess I just probably wouldn't use it anymore because of that confusion. I'd only heard it in the context of something someone would be displeased about, never happy about.

I've never seen it used for anything but something someone would pleased about, myself