Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would pay 10 bux for a quick party swap button.

I don't have any heavy weapon characters in my main party but there are always mining opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

theres never a reason to roll for any 5* character when all the content in the game can be beaten quite easily with c0 4*s. so just roll for who you like

They're both beautiful queens though! :cry:

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Inzombiac posted:

I don't have any heavy weapon characters in my main party but there are always mining opportunities.

Your Zhongli?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's interesting how Kokomi was considered pretty mediocre when she was released, but now she's involved in a huge portion of teams. It seems like most compositions either have Bennett or Kokomi as an optimal healer role, and a lot of my teams share Kokomi now.

I actually need to return to the clam artifact domain at some point, because her artifacts are pretty mediocre (especially for someone I use so much).

Edit: I imagine Dendro's introduction helps a lot, since she's very good to have around for Bloom stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no kokomi was just always insanely good, people are just really bad at judging character power levels. people thought raiden was bad when she came out, too.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Ugh. Hu Tao is coming up on a banner soon and I really want to pull for her, but then she's immediately followed by Dehya and I'm wondering if I would have any good excuse to have both of them.

If you like to avoid gameplay redundancy, we should have more information about Dehya before Hu Tao's banner ends.

So you could decide later.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Inzombiac posted:

If you want to waste a ton of time, rather than swap to a party with a claymore or yanfei in it, you can always plunge attack the rocks (although I don't think that works for archers). Just find something to climb up, or get good at mashing sprint and jump on a tiny incline to plunge into them.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Ugh. Hu Tao is coming up on a banner soon and I really want to pull for her, but then she's immediately followed by Dehya and I'm wondering if I would have any good excuse to have both of them.

Shes going to be a major focus of the lantern rite apparently so depending on how susceptible to persuasion via story/event stuff you are they may try to make it difficult to skip her. I got her on her first rerun last year and thought she was maybe a bit overrated at first until I realized that she does insanely good vaporizing damage, especially if you have Dragonsbane or Staff of Homa equipped and have her below 50% max HP for the huge buff that grants which gets amplified by Staff of Homa. It just so happens too that they are pairing her up on the same banner with the character she arguably goes best with now in Yelan and have Staff of Homa up at the same time on the weapon banner as well. :ohdear:

Endorph posted:

no kokomi was just always insanely good, people are just really bad at judging character power levels. people thought raiden was bad when she came out, too.

I never got her before the Ocean-Hued Clam set but even then I'm kind of having a hard time understanding how she was bad anyway. She heals amazingly well, wants a bunch of HP and gets a huge damage boost with her burst the higher her HP is even without the ability to crit. Fast attack animations plus good electro reactions mean even without the 30K bonus damage potential she can really crank out the damage and keep the party healed. People seemed to have a terrible time understanding damage scaling via burst mode at firat judging by raiden apparently sucking to start and scaling off Energy Recharge for burst damage bonus. Like yeah if they aren't in burst mode their utility is substantially less but thats kind of the idea.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 7, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder how they're going to handle things as more and more characters get added to the game. I feel like I'm already seeing complain about the length of time between character re-runs and the problem is only going to get worse.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Im assuming well eventually see 3 banners running side-by-side

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

since they're not powercreeping them heavily and making older characters farmable they'll probably just start running triple banners? The characters that have especially long waits are being timed with planned events but even then waiting a year for a character to come around again isn't that abnormal in a gacha game imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

triple banners or running 3 sets of banners per patch instead of 2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I was starting to get overwhelmed by the possibility of all the teams I was building (and all of the characters I would need to be able to make those teams work), so I trimmed things down a bit.

My "Beidou/Fischl/Xingqiu/Zhongli" team was the only one that I actually had actually built up, but I was getting really tired of running into roadblocks any time an enemy threw up a hydro or electro shield, so I swapped Zhongli out for Ganyu (who was my only other built character) for overworld stomping. I don't think any normal enemy should give this team difficulty?

As for the other teams, I decided to just get over myself and include Sucrose and Bennett and I think this should make for some good team options?

My main goal was to to keep Beidou around while finding homes for Ganyu and Yelan, and I think this does it. There's no dendro representation, but other than that, I don't know that I should run up against too much difficulty with these setups - unless there is a major weak point I'm not seeing?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Inzombiac posted:

Man... alright. There seem to be a lot of advanced mechanics that I missed or are weirdly opaque.

Gonna keep playing and figure it all out, haha.

Yeah it's totally worth checking Keqing mains and asking here, since there's always the chance you're missing something or you're actually not and a character is just underwhelming. Lisa is not exactly the most competitive electro character, especially since you have Raiden already. Even capping her at 40 pre-Inazuma, with upgraded artifacts and weapon, she'll probably be competitive with Lisa until 60 or so, where upgrading skills becomes noticeable.

That said a bunch of the character comparisons are late game stuff. I used Lisa and Amber through most of Inazuma/a WL where enemies were 60-70. They were my only electro and pyro characters and got the job done. Heck Amber was my only bow user until Inazuma, so pretty much completely turned me off to them.

Though luckily the game is tuned so if you fall in love with a character, even if they're the worst in their niche you can probably build a team that uses them and beat most of the content, with spiral abyss or the occasional boss that demands a specific gimmick.
One advantage Lisa has though is she's a catalyst user and if you don't already have one on your team giving her the thrilling adventures weapon can significantly boost everyone's dps. And since it's a 3 star, you can easily get to to level 5 refinement. You could even pair her with Raiden, since both help charge eachother's bursts and Raiden benefits from Lisa's burst being a high cost one.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

You have 10 team slots now. You see that plus on the bottom left of the team highlights? Click it, and it adds another team slot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You have 10 team slots now. You see that plus on the bottom left of the team highlights? Click it, and it adds another team slot.

Yeah, I saw that but I'm trying to keep myself limited or else my ADHD is just going to spiral and I'm going to start trying to get every single character to max.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

If you're using a controller, you can go into the controller options menu and customize the shortcut wheel to add in the party swap menu. Makes it a little quicker.

Personally I rarely bother mining even if I have a claymore in my group. You get so much ore from sending people out daily.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vargs posted:

If you're using a controller, you can go into the controller options menu and customize the shortcut wheel to add in the party swap menu. Makes it a little quicker.

Personally I rarely bother mining even if I have a claymore in my group. You get so much ore from sending people out daily.

I think you need to build up a decent supply of ore and be mostly done crafting weapons for that to work out. I was sitting at like 2k of the blue ore, I think it only took getting like 3 or 4 weapons from 0-90 to burn through it. Though I also only send my characters out once a day. If I was better about managing those 15 hour deployments I could probably get by without smashing any rocks I see. I don't bother going on mining sweeps like some people though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh poo poo I forgot about Expeditions.

Fuuuuuug there is so much to this game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Inzombiac posted:

You know to go talk to the adventure guild counter after you do your dailies, right? It gives you extra primogems, adventurer xp, and character evolution materials.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I recently got my wife hooked on it (she only hit AR10 yesterday but is loving just exploring and doing whatever pulls her attention at any given moment) and it's been hard to convey to her just how loving much this game has. It's so intensely dense with activities to do. I almost always feels intensely overwhelmed by wanting to work on 50 things at once.

I want to build my teams of characters, which requires me going and exploring to get materials and kill bosses.
-But I also want to get a complete set of cards for the card games, which I need to do some other side content to unlock parts.
-Though I also want to finish all of the character side quests which are about 2 hours each.
-I still haven't hosed around with hangouts, which I'm curious about.
-drat and I still need to finish leveling up the statue in Inazuma as well as the Sacred Sakura.
-Oh! And I haven't stepped foot in Sumaru other than to get all of the statues on the map so I could do the current temporary event.
-Despite being AR52/WL7, I've not even started farming artifacts for characters.

For me, I just need to make lists or else I'll never get anything done.

My biggest accomplishment since returning to the game two weeks ago was collecting all of the blue crystals in the Chasm and then keystones in Enkanomiya. Pretty happy with polishing those off.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

I think you need to build up a decent supply of ore and be mostly done crafting weapons for that to work out. I was sitting at like 2k of the blue ore, I think it only took getting like 3 or 4 weapons from 0-90 to burn through it. Though I also only send my characters out once a day. If I was better about managing those 15 hour deployments I could probably get by without smashing any rocks I see. I don't bother going on mining sweeps like some people though.

Did you know the game has a set limit to how much Enhancement Ore it will let you Hoard? I certainly did not know till this week.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Coolness Averted posted:

it takes 900 of the big enhancement crystals for a lvl 90 weapon which is 3600 crystal ore. there's a daily crafting limit of 30 enhancement crystals / 120 ore though so having a big hoard of ores is pretty useless

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Endorph posted:

Anyone complaining about kokomi or raiden would've been watching beta leaks, and both of those character's perceptions were heavily affected by their betas. Kokomi had a significant application buff on her jellyfish (which obviously improves her to this day with dendro), and raiden had the big scandal with beidou that was never resolved and resulted in people getting disheartened because they saw how useful pairing an AOE electro-res stripping C6 character could be. According to Zajef that resulted in TCs ignoring Raiden even if her national team was on the radar but we only have his word on that.

I think kokomi is insanely good now that dendro exists and has improved the value of both raiden and kokomi, which is mainly what Ytlaya's post was about anyway. At her release Kokomi was mostly just there to make freeze consistent or form the core of the sucrose taser composition. Raiden gets her hyperbloom team in addition to national and hypercarry she had before. Of course people are going to be bad at judging character power a year before those characters are improved while still at the time caught up in beta drama.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no kokomi was insanely good when she came out lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it takes 900 of the big enhancement crystals for a lvl 90 weapon which is 3600 crystal ore. there's a daily crafting limit of 30 enhancement crystals / 120 ore though so having a big hoard of ores is pretty useless

True

but, something to note for newer players is that this number applies for 5* weapons

4* weapons "only" require 600 crystals

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
kokomi was really bad during beta too because her jellyfish still had the default 2.5s icd despite pulsing every 2s so it would only apply hydro once every second hit (they constantly forget about icd rules and make this mistake, nahida did it too for a bit)

but yeah a lot of the negative hype on release was people over focusing on the fact that her burst was completely useless and designed/balanced terribly (which it still is!) and ignoring the op elemental application from the jellyfish

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 8, 2023

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Her kit is a bit all over the place, but she was designed a long time ago and got retrofitted into Inazuma. They also didn't change the jellyfish hydro applications as part of the beta feedback cycle but as part of the actual patch going live, so maybe Ayato was still a WIP and they were just trying to decide what direction to take her in compared to him. All the beta impressions were based around her being bad in freeze and being kind of a weak driver. This was a patch before the clam set got added as well, she didn't have much going for her during the test cycle at all.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I will never not be upset that Koko's burst uses the asinine, ridiculous, worse-than-a-4-star-character "jellyfish must still be on the field for her burst to reset its duration" mechanic.

As opposed to Fischl, whose burst just drops Oz when it finishes regardless of whether Oz is already on the field or not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kale posted:

I never got her before the Ocean-Hued Clam set but even then I'm kind of having a hard time understanding how she was bad anyway. She heals amazingly well, wants a bunch of HP and gets a huge damage boost with her burst the higher her HP is even without the ability to crit. Fast attack animations plus good electro reactions mean even without the 30K bonus damage potential she can really crank out the damage and keep the party healed. People seemed to have a terrible time understanding damage scaling via burst mode at firat judging by raiden apparently sucking to start and scaling off Energy Recharge for burst damage bonus. Like yeah if they aren't in burst mode their utility is substantially less but thats kind of the idea.

Healing isn't that important (she's basically overkill for it) and her damage wasn't that high. So the general take was "She's a good healer, but overkill and healers aren't very important in the Genshin endgame."

I think the main thing people underestimated was the value of her off-field hydro application (and also just having the healing slot filled is always valuable - there aren't many options that don't require sacrificing something). Plus introduction of the Clam set actually made her damage pretty respectable.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sushibandit posted:

I will never not be upset that Koko's burst uses the asinine, ridiculous, worse-than-a-4-star-character "jellyfish must still be on the field for her burst to reset its duration" mechanic.

As opposed to Fischl, whose burst just drops Oz when it finishes regardless of whether Oz is already on the field or not.

I can't remember the last time I ever cared about her jellyfish being down or not before I set off my burst. I either use the burst and not care, or drop it immediately before going into burst mode. With the exception of a small bug, her jellyfish lose the boost when she leaves the field, and when she's done her thing I swap her out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the main value of the burst is to reset jellyfish duration and immediately swap out
those 5 paragraphs about how it makes kokomi slightly better at fish slapping stuff are basically ignorable in 90% of teams (though there are some bloom or taser teams where she can work as a driver)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Her burst is there for the full party off field heal. Her skill is to fill any gaps you have with your hydro that guarantees 100% application all the time.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yeah but she doesn't have a personality

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

At least Kokomi is better than Ayaka.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like both ayaka and kokomi. problem?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

i like both ayaka and kokomi. problem?

:same:

Kokomi could be better but she's super pretty with amazing animations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mordiceius posted:

At least Kokomi is better than Ayaka.

she's worse

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
they're both boring ladies :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
at least one of them wears cool armor instead of the dumbest looking swimsuit known to man :argh: