Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

but what about congo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

hawowanlawow posted:

seriously tho what did the guy do I haven't seen any of those movies

Gave up everything he was to do the right thing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Congo has Tim Curry and killer gorillas. It rules.

I also really liked The 13th Warrior.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Avatarland is fun," "says idiots", says grown grumpy man named after a children's book about a shiba inu and a cat teaching life lessons

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Robobot posted:

Congo has Tim Curry and killer gorillas. It rules.

I also really liked The 13th Warrior.

Yeah because 13th warrior is an amazing movie and Antonio Banderas is sex on wheels.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Avatar was fine but the 3D gave me horrible motion sickness.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Avatar is cool and Avatar 2 is even better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The frame rate changes in Avatar 2 looked loving awful (this is not a PHUO).

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Green Zoe Saldaña > Regular Zoe Saldaña > Blue Zoe Saldaña

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey weird Congo came up in a conversation with a friend the other day.

Can someone confirm/deny that at some point a gorilla gets a laser? I jokingly said the movie was about gorillas shooting lasers and some smug poo poo said at no point does a gorilla get a laser and I was like MOTHERFUCKER THE MAIN GORILLA AMY OR SOMETHING GETS A FUCKIN LASER and I smashed a bottle against the bar but by that point the rottweiler ha

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Can someone confirm/deny that at some point a gorilla gets a laser? I jokingly said the movie was about gorillas shooting lasers and some smug poo poo said at no point does a gorilla get a laser and I was like MOTHERFUCKER THE MAIN GORILLA AMY OR SOMETHING GETS A FUCKIN LASER and I smashed a bottle against the bar but by that point the rottweiler ha

The gorilla gets a glove with a laser.

Pointer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

credburn posted:

Can someone confirm/deny that at some point a gorilla gets a laser?

weird way to describe Laura Linney

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

avatar's world just feels like the result of a series of arbitrary choices with no overarching structure and the blue people are too humanoid to be convincing as aliens. it also stole the plot from obscure 90s FMV game "quantum gate"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Also sympathy for the xenos is heresy.

I’ve been playing a lot of Darktide lately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Shibawanko posted:

avatar's world just feels like the result of a series of arbitrary choices with no overarching structure and the blue people are too humanoid to be convincing as aliens. it also stole the plot from obscure 90s FMV game "quantum gate"

At some point the amount of things Avatar supposedly ripped off has to indicate that that's just a story that's fair game because of how many people have told it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: I should be legally allowed to kill people who say “so it’s free?” whenever an item they’re trying to buy doesn’t wring up correctly

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: I should be legally allowed to kill people who say “so it’s free?” whenever an item they’re trying to buy doesn’t wring up correctly

"Have a bullet for free."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Avatarland is fun," "says idiots", says grown grumpy man named after a children's book about a shiba inu and a cat teaching life lessons

yo can you not pointlessly buy avatars for me thank you

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Cameron wants to make 5 dumb blue man group movies but not more Aliens.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Duvel posted:

Cameron wants to make 5 dumb blue man group movies but not more Aliens.

The Avatar franchise is his baby. Aliens was mercenary work and Ridley Scott is determined to make you think that the cool part of it is the androids.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
People who insist that life was better under feudalism are extremely stupid but the reason I think they’re stupid right now is that there were no video games back then

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thetoughestbean posted:

People who insist that life was better under feudalism are extremely stupid but the reason I think they’re stupid right now is that there were no video games back then

I don't think feudalism is inherently incompatible with video games. I'm pretty sure you could have both.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiggum posted:

I don't think feudalism is inherently incompatible with video games. I'm pretty sure you could have both.

Technically true! However with all the farming you’d have to do to please your local lord/landowner, I doubt there’d be much time to develop new games

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think when people say we were better off under feudalism they are talking specifically about the amount of exploitative labor a normal person endures to live

No one is saying how much they want to go back to medieval medicine and give up electricity, just that serfs worked way less for their lords than we work for ours

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think when people say we were better off under feudalism they are talking specifically about the amount of exploitative labor a normal person endures to live

No one is saying how much they want to go back to medieval medicine and give up electricity, just that serfs worked way less for their lords than we work for ours

I’ve heard that’s not true either. Didn’t they work until it got too dark to work anymore? I’m sure there’s a goon that will know.

Either way, I sure as heck know 8 hours in an air conditioned warehouse is better than 8 hours pushing a plow behind a horses rear end.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Anybody who has participated in armed combat is irreparably damaged and should be kept away from society for the rest of their life.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Robobot posted:

I’ve heard that’s not true either. Didn’t they work until it got too dark to work anymore? I’m sure there’s a goon that will know.

One theory that holds weight is that they had a split schedule. Get up, work all day, and then go to sleep. Then get back up for free time before going back to bed. Of course we are broadly talking about a large group of cultures and people across a large time scale so there's a lot of right answers.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

One theory that holds weight is that they had a split schedule. Get up, work all day, and then go to sleep. Then get back up for free time before going back to bed. Of course we are broadly talking about a large group of cultures and people across a large time scale so there's a lot of right answers.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep

That's called a nap.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

That's called a nap.

Are you implying that different cultures from different time periods can call things different words because of the different cultural implications? Yeah right buddy. Me and my lifelong also single male friend don't believe that for a minute.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Are you implying that different cultures from different time periods can call things different words because of the different cultural implications? Yeah right buddy. Me and my lifelong also single male friend don't believe that for a minute.

man I straight up do not believe that medieval people called naps "biphasic sleep"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Gripweed posted:

man I straight up do not believe that medieval people called naps "biphasic sleep"

Do you believe they called them naps?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

That understanding of history is laughable. The idea that serfdom was less exploitation than the modern day is so deeply stupid that people who argue for it shouldn’t be listened to when talking about any subject.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I argue in favor of Surfdom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I'm out here trying to find a Surf Dom

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I refuse to ever do research to see if medieval man worked less is true because it's fun to say.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, I always say.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rick posted:

I refuse to ever do research to see if medieval man worked less is true because it's fun to say.

The idea that the medieval peasant only worked 150 days a year is rooted in extremely bad scholarship by an economist, not a historian. It comes from the idea that only the days that they owed labor to their landlord as “rent” were the only days that counted as valid work, as if the rest of the year was spent by peasants just pursuing their hobbies and not them having to do the backbreaking work of farming, growing their own food rather than their lord’s.

Sorry to ruin your fun, but people shouldn’t knowingly spread false information

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
But what if that false information helps fuel the outrage I feel with my current lot in life and aligns with my opinion that right now is in fact the worst time to ever be alive? Can we still spread bad information then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

But what if that false information helps fuel the outrage I feel with my current lot in life and aligns with my opinion that right now is in fact the worst time to ever be alive? Can we still spread bad information then?

No. You especially shouldn’t spread false information for propagandistic reasons.

Also idea that the present is the worst time ever to be alive is just ridiculous