Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've never been much of Star Trek person but I'm really enjoying Lower Decks.

Lower Decks started off a little rough with a little too much "lol monkeycheese" humor, but it really picked up steam around its fourth episode or so. It's very clearly made with a lot of love for Star Trek (and creator Mike McMahan is a goon, though I'm not going to out him) and it just keeps on getting better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It’s moving day and I already want to die

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Got to break out Scout for the first time last night and it’s very fun!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freaquency posted:

It’s moving day and I already want to die

When my ex-wife and I bought our house in Madison and moved into it (Jesus, that was February 2015, what the gently caress), I forked out the money for Two Men and a Truck.

Best $900 I've ever spent.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Timby posted:

When my ex-wife and I bought our house in Madison and moved into it (Jesus, that was February 2015, what the gently caress), I forked out the money for Two Men and a Truck.

Best $900 I've ever spent.

Oh we hired some help, but the packing and the continuing revelation of just how much stuff we’ve accumulated is dealing serious psychic damage.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Fifty Three posted:

A lot of dishes I use don't fit in the dishwasher, and more importantly I don't trust that my Bosch will get everything off so there's a lot of pre-dishwasher soaking and scraping. I have no evidence for the last bit.

Not fitting checks out (stupid sheet pans), but I highly recommend pushing your limits on how dirty you'll put stuff in. I remove any solids, but very regularly dirty dishes don't even see water before they go in the dishwasher (and come out sparkling clean).

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Neil Armbong posted:

I have friends that work at MadeIn. Their cookware and cutlery is pretty good.

Yeah, I have a stainless pan from MadeIn and it's frickin bomb proof. Looking at a saucier from them right now, actually.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

1500 calories a day is not so bad after a 72 hour fast. I feel good despite not eating nearly as much as before. I will admit my fat rear end misses gorging though.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What was the hardest part of the fast, besides not eating heh

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

What was the hardest part of the fast, besides not eating heh

Drinking enough water

I was never a huge water drinker in the first place so making sure I had enough was crucial during that time

The first 24 hours were the hardest though I will admit I woke up in the middle of the night some time after the 72nd hour and ate because I was having food dreams

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Drinking enough water

I was never a huge water drinker in the first place so making sure I had enough was crucial during that time

The first 24 hours were the hardest though I will admit I woke up in the middle of the night some time after the 72nd hour and ate because I was having food dreams

Why the hell were you fasting for three days, anyway?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Timby posted:

So you didn't fast.

Why the hell were you fasting for three days, anyway?

I did fast...water was acceptable according to my doctor friend. I had 0 calories the entire time.

I wanted to give myself a jumpstart and shrink my stomach. Get that ketosis going and use up my sugar reserves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I wanted to give myself a jumpstart and shrink my stomach. Get that ketosis going and use up my sugar reserves.

The keto diet is junk science, for what it's worth. Your body (especially the brain) needs sugar / carbohydrates.

Edit: I mean, gently caress, I'm diabetic with an A1C of 9 right now, and my doctor says I should still have 75 - 90 net carbs per meal.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Timby posted:

The keto diet is junk science, for what it's worth.

I'm not a firm believer in it myself but anything is worth trying at this point. I'm desperate :downsrim:

For what it's worth I'm doing the "eat anything (reasonable)" 1500 diet so I don't think the ketosis part survives. Supposedly I will be in "low grade ketosis" the whole time because of the fast and the lack of calories though.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 7, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm not a firm believer in it myself but anything is worth trying at this point. I'm desperate :downsrim:

For what it's worth I'm doing the "eat anything (reasonable)" 1500 diet so I don't think the ketosis part survives

I'm not trying to dunk on you. Really. Weight loss is a long-term marathon, not a sprint, and it takes time.

Ketosis is not the way to go, though. Starving yourself isn't going to result in meaningful weight loss; your body will start burning muscle tissue for energy after it runs out of sugars.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t think I could do a one day fast, let alone three day one. I start getting cranky after like 8 hours of not eating. Maybe if I lived and worked at home and I just purge the house of food I could pull it off. Maybe.

Took down the interior Christmas decorations and exterior ones come down tomorrow. Having Christmas stuff up is fun, but it’s nice to get some space back when the tree goes away.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can go until dinner and not eat, but then I run into the issue of wanting to eat more since I haven’t eaten until dinner

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I did keto one summer combined with a lot of fasting and it was really good to me. Best shape I’d been in in a while (not that I was that out of shape). Exercise also helped. Fasting is pretty easy for me, I’m not hungry until a handful of hours after I wake up. I was so busy at my internship too that I did 1-2 24h fasts per week almost inadvertently. Helped melt off the bit of weight I put on during my first year of grad school.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Timby posted:

I'm not trying to dunk on you. Really. Weight loss is a long-term marathon, not a sprint, and it takes time.

I agree with you there. And everyone runs a marathon at a difference pace. :P

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I agree with you there. And everyone runs a marathon at a difference pace. :P

Hey, absolutely. At my heaviest I was at 280-290. I'm 38 and weighed 177 this morning.

Took a lot of effort. But it's worth it. Do what works for you, just don't starve yourself, because the body needs food.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Sorry for you dieters but Monday is my birthday and we are celebrating with some Sonny’s Pizza and some king cake with the family today.

Sometimes it’s nice to live in Louisiana.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Silly Burrito posted:

Sorry for you dieters but Monday is my birthday and we are celebrating with some Sonny’s Pizza and some king cake with the family today.

I've never had king cake, but after reading a description, I'd gladly shoot myself up with all the insulin in exchange for having a piece of it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Timby posted:

Hey, absolutely. At my heaviest I was at 280-290. I'm 38 and weighed 177 this morning.

Took a lot of effort. But it's worth it. Do what works for you, just don't starve yourself, because the body needs food.

Good poo poo! That's great to hear! I have my MFP set to increase daily caloric intake if I exercise so physical therapy days will likely include a bit more than usual but I'm still aiming for my sedentary days to be 1500 calories. At this point, I don't feel like I'm starving. Maybe that changes, but for now I feel great (so far).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Good poo poo! That's great to hear! I have my MFP set to increase daily caloric intake if I exercise so physical therapy days will likely include a bit more than usual but I'm still aiming for my sedentary days to be 1500 calories. At this point, I don't feel like I'm starving. Maybe that changes, but for now I feel great (so far).

Do you mind me asking how heavy you are and what your goal is?

I’ve done keto and eventually just landed on a version that wasn’t high fat but just a pretty strict calorie restriction, often at the expense of carbs. It wasn’t something I’d do forever but I understand the feeling of wanting to jump start it.

How are you training during this? What’s the weight loss you expect at the deficit you’re planning weekly?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

Do you mind me asking how heavy you are and what your goal is?

I’ve done keto and eventually just landed on a version that wasn’t high fat but just a pretty strict calorie restriction, often at the expense of carbs. It wasn’t something I’d do forever but I understand the feeling of wanting to jump start it.

How are you training during this? What’s the weight loss you expect at the deficit you’re planning weekly?

I'm 226 at last weigh-in, I'm 5'5", and my goal is 190 to start. Honestly I just want to break 200 first.

I am starting out with physical therapy two times a week then I am going to move to the gym after my therapy is done. Probably going to be doing swimming and machines so I don't stress the leg, as much as I'd love to do free standing squats and running. I am expecting 1.5-2 pounds a week. I am not the type to be super strict about my diet in general (which is a curse and a blessing) so that's why my target is a range. I don't want to feel like a failure if I don't hit 2 lbs every week, and to "forgive" myself if I make a mistake in portioning.

I'm doing this with friends who are much stricter than I am w/r/t their dieting so I hope that keeps me on track.

MFP is a very cool app for this.

This is the first time in my life I will be doing proper calorie counting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not really sure what the big deal is with keto. My mom is a (retired) dietician and noted that keto and Atkins style diets are rubber band diets where you immediately gain all the weight you lost after going off of it - anecdotally this true for the people I know who have done both diets. The diets that seem to work are Mediterranean (which can be expensive) and DASH, but I don't actually know anyone who's done it. I've wanted to try Mediterranean for some time, but just can't commit to changing my pantry like that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyhausofeels/status/1611784586639327239?s=46&t=jcuKItj3Vs2Cn50lLcpMug

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I do want to say I appreciate all the concern for an internet stranger. :glomp:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

I'm not really sure what the big deal is with keto. My mom is a (retired) dietician and noted that keto and Atkins style diets are rubber band diets where you immediately gain all the weight you lost after going off of it - anecdotally this true for the people I know who have done both diets. The diets that seem to work are Mediterranean (which can be expensive) and DASH, but I don't actually know anyone who's done it. I've wanted to try Mediterranean for some time, but just can't commit to changing my pantry like that.

The issue with Atkins is that it totally ignores fat intake, because of the priority of few carbs as possible. It's not healthy and not sustainable.

Carbs are healthy. They're good. The body needs them. They help the brain function. If you have a functional pancreas, you don't need to count carbs or anything like that: Just eat healthy. 75 percent of weight loss is nutrition, with the rest being exercise.

Note: I'm not a doctor or a dietitian, just following the advice of my physicians after my diabetes diagnosis a month ago.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I do want to say I appreciate all the concern for an internet stranger. :glomp:

We're all friends here, 3 DONGER. I'm just a goober in Iowa, but I support you.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Several days behind but let's fuckin go

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/UrOrientalist/status/1611717485828489221?s=20&t=a9acxUZ7Ru-b8hbLwSU58w

This can't be real right?

I know we joke that Musk is like "inventing" buses and subways like a solipsist, but this is so loving stupid it makes my head hurt. So much so that I feel like I must be missing something and getting turbo-whooshed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/UrOrientalist/status/1611717485828489221?s=20&t=a9acxUZ7Ru-b8hbLwSU58w

I know we joke that Musk is like "inventing" buses and subways like a solipsist, but this is so loving stupid it makes my head hurt. So much so that I feel like I must be missing something and getting turbo-whooshed.

I’m surprised that if it’s a loop that you can’t program Autopilot to do that and still need a driver.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m surprised that if it’s a loop that you can’t program Autopilot to do that and still need a driver.

FSD is fine for ripping through low income children while you’re speeding through a disadvantaged neighborhood on your way to Orange Theory, but you can’t be murdering other Tesla dorks in the weird rave tunnel.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

LeeMajors posted:

I...

What am I looking at here? Explain it to me like I'm an idiot because I feel like I'm missing whatever the appeal is supposed to be here

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm 226 at last weigh-in, I'm 5'5", and my goal is 190 to start. Honestly I just want to break 200 first.

I am starting out with physical therapy two times a week then I am going to move to the gym after my therapy is done. Probably going to be doing swimming and machines so I don't stress the leg, as much as I'd love to do free standing squats and running. I am expecting 1.5-2 pounds a week. I am not the type to be super strict about my diet in general (which is a curse and a blessing) so that's why my target is a range. I don't want to feel like a failure if I don't hit 2 lbs every week, and to "forgive" myself if I make a mistake in portioning.

I'm doing this with friends who are much stricter than I am w/r/t their dieting so I hope that keeps me on track.

MFP is a very cool app for this.

This is the first time in my life I will be doing proper calorie counting.

My disclaimer is I am not a nutritionist and absolutely everything about diet/exercise/fitness varies intensely person to person, so the best I can do is say what the biggest helps were for me personally going from 220 to 185 over about six months in 2012:

#1 with a bullet was daily weigh-ins and having that information displayed on a graph over time. Being aware of my weight every day made it so much easier to walk by sweets put out in an office or actually eat the carrots I brought instead of getting some trash from the vending machine. After two or three weeks when I started steadily losing that 1.5-2 lbs/week you're talking about, it was a huge help to see that plotted on a graph. No idea if MFP does that (my tracking was in Wii Fit, lol), but seeing that line trending was another motivator for making better choices day to day AND not getting too discouraged if it didn't go down every single day.

Similar to that, keeping track of my lifting over time. We had a weight bench in a spare bedroom that was half torn down, so I just kept track of my lifting writing on the wall with a pencil knowing it would get painted over later. Having that record was another big motivator, going back and seeing holy poo poo my warm-up lifts are more than I was hitting on my max three months ago. I know you aren't going to be doing strict weights with the leg, but lap times or something might be similar to be able to go back and see alllll the progress over time.

Also if you haven't been to the weight loss thread in YLLS, highly recommended. Even if you can't follow every single thing in there to the letter, it has a ton of good info that, again, stuck in the back of my mind just enough to drown out the urge to grab a donut sitting out at work.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shinji2015 posted:

I...

What am I looking at here? Explain it to me like I'm an idiot because I feel like I'm missing whatever the appeal is supposed to be here

IIRC it was supposed to be Elon’s test of the Hyperloop in Vegas for the future of transportation and in the end just turned out to be a bunch of Teslas in the loop instead.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shinji2015 posted:

I...

You are looking at an intense waste of money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1611521943152238592?t=W_VcFAac9MR3SLaIi5hy9w&s=19

Because there were a lot more girls than boys into acting at my schools, pretty much every single school play I ever saw had a girl in a prominent male role.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t know how any of that could be constitutional. How do you defined gendered clothes? A woman can’t wear pants? If a boy wears pink it’s illegal? God I hate these fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
These people are going to have a big problem with Shakespeare's career.