Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

redreader posted:

A lot of the triangle strategy votes seemed to be like 'this is long-winded' and 'this game was fairly ok I suppose' so I'm surprised it's doing so well. What's the main draw? It's like when people say "dragon quest 12 (or whatever) is like comfort food, nothing special, no surprises, nothing new" then it came pretty high on the list.

Dragon Quest 11 IS like comfort food, but it's THIS type of comfort food:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HA

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

incredible games. i'm curious to see how much bigger the vote and participation is this year compared to 2018/19

The entire 2018 thread was just 9 pages long!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the numbers don't lie: horizon is better than pokemon, not just once but twice

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TRPG sickos have been thirsting for a 2D HD game style that is actually fun to play since Octopath. Triangle Strategy is like a drug to them, a sick fix for degenerates

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

For the record, my prediction for the top 5 (I don’t know the results Rarity gave me the spreadsheet with the top 75 cut out) are Elden Ring, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade 3, Pentiment, Vampire Survivors (dunno about the order except the #1 of course)

FIVE FOR FIVE BABY

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xedo posted:

The entire 2018 thread was just 9 pages long!

The countdown was only 30 games :negative:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rarity posted:

There's still a chance Mirror's Edge made the top 5 :pray:

mirror's edge would also be a decent goty. shame it only made #2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

A lot of the triangle strategy votes seemed to be like 'this is long-winded' and 'this game was fairly ok I suppose' so I'm surprised it's doing so well. What's the main draw? It's like when people say "dragon quest 12 (or whatever) is like comfort food, nothing special, no surprises, nothing new" then it came pretty high on the list.

It's long-winded, but the story's really good and also a lot of the game mechanics are about the story (there's a pretty in-depth persuasion system that determines what routes you take that is fun to play with). And the tactical combat is really good.

Similarly, saying Dragon Quest is "comfort food" is a compliment from Dragon Quest fans, not a criticism. It's a warm hug of a game series so if you hear someone call it a comfort food game, it's doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

FIVE FOR FIVE BABY

Hell yeah!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Epic High Five posted:

Triangle Strategy is like a drug to them, a sick fix for degenerates

Then stick a needle in me doc cause baby I'm fiending

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rarity posted:

Who knows how high the game could have ranked if it had come out at a different time?

Looking forward to seeing the next Horizon game drop against Witcher 4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gonna call my shot here on the order:

5. Triangle Strategy
4. Pentiment
3. Vampire Survivors
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
1. Elden Ring

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

FIVE FOR FIVE BABY

:hai:

4/5 of the top 5 from my list lets goo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Dragon Quest 11 IS like comfort food, but it's THIS type of comfort food:

Great post

I am watching Summer of Soul (finally!) while I read all this and listening to all this great music and history while this excellent thread unfolds warms my heart. Well, that and the bourbon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

:hai:

4/5 of the top 5 from my list lets goo

:same:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

It's long-winded, but the story's really good and also a lot of the game mechanics are about the story (there's a pretty in-depth persuasion system that determines what routes you take that is fun to play with). And the tactical combat is really good.

Similarly, saying Dragon Quest is "comfort food" is a compliment from Dragon Quest fans, not a criticism. It's a warm hug of a game series so if you hear someone call it a comfort food game, it's doing exactly what it was designed to do.

I played the dragon quest demo and got to the big city, did stuff there, left, and decided it wasn't interesting. Does it get interesting after that or is it all the same? I love JRPGs but that one didn't grab me, really.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok my next curse is triangle strategy in the top 3. Bet on it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Epic High Five posted:

TRPG sickos have been thirsting for a 2D HD game style that is actually fun to play since Octopath. Triangle Strategy is like a drug to them, a sick fix for degenerates

I was hype for TS but dropped it after like 5-6 hours. Then I went on to 100% TO reborn a month later. Really surprised so many people could get past the absolutely glacial pacing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

redreader posted:

its not comfort food, its a well tuned game with a good story (though admittedly the character writing could be stronger)
comfort food suggests the game doesn't take any swings, it does and its better for it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

redreader posted:

I played the dragon quest demo and got to the big city, did stuff there, left, and decided it wasn't interesting. Does it get interesting after that or is it all the same? I love JRPGs but that one didn't grab me, really.

FWIW I had the same experience.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
VS boutta dunk on a lof triple A franchises :hai:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think VS will be 5 because it tended to be lower on peoples lists than the other four. But also it appealed to so many. Hmm.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

btw you anti-ffxiv sickos probably won't have to worry about it being #1 again this year either because I doubt the new expac is coming out until like, 2024.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

I think VS will be 5 because it tended to be lower on peoples lists than the other four. But also it appealed to so many. Hmm.

hm, we'll see, I haven't been reading the lists that closely

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll get to Triangle eventually, but I've gotta play FFT first and that's a ways off. It being about mundane stuff instead of boring high fantasy is very appealing to me as a huge commie, but the demo didn't grab me as someone who just plays X-COM: UFO Defense again if I get the TRPG itch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

It does get more interesting from there primarily because the game gets more fun the more party members you have. The story does have a few twists and turns but it's never going to really surprise you (except for a couple of the bigger swings it takes late in the story)--it's more about charming and interesting characters than a deep or complex plot for the majority of its play time. And the gameplay is pretty standard JRPG but it's executed really well and IMO has enough little things to play with to be fun.

It's not doing anything innovative but it also isn't trying to. It's aiming for charm above all else. If that sounds appealing it's worth another go, at least until you meet Sylvando. And if the game hasn't grabbed you by then it probably won't. (And if "nothing surprising but very charming" doesn't sound appealing, it's safe to skip.)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is triangle strategy ever coming out on a real console??? Haha I'm kidding of course... unless...??

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the secret truth is tristrat is better than fft and orge :ssh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

Is triangle strategy ever coming out on a real console??? Haha I'm kidding of course... unless...??

It's on Steam!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

the secret truth is tristrat is better than fft and orge :ssh:

Having now tried all three of them, yes it very much is

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The DQ11 demo is something ridiculous like 12 hours long, anyway it really picks up when you get to the desert city whose name I forget and how long it is until it appears I've also forgotten, but it's not too long. The thing I like best about it is that it feels almost designed to beat in bursts over the course of 2 years

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

loved Forbidden West. dlc is one of my most anticipate for '23

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

it's on pc

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

It's on Steam!

I dont have a pc!!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I dont have a pc!!!!!

No switch, no PC... drat fridge... are u even a gamer??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

hm, we'll see, I haven't been reading the lists that closely

I think TriStat will be in the top 3 for the opposite reason, it got a lot of first places, maybe the second most after Elden Ring

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Going off pure vibes, baby

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

loved Forbidden West. dlc is one of my most anticipate for '23

I’m a fancy boy with more money than sense so I get a brand new Horizon game in like, 6 weeks. Insane that PSVR2 is coming so quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm playing through tristrat now and if i had played it earlier it definitely would have made my top 10. incredible game.