Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The GOTY thread is about to countdown the top 5 of 2022, come join the party! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HopperUK posted:

It's the best of both worlds. You can interact with other people if you want and the atmosphere is pretty decent most of the time but you can ignore them if you want too. I love playing solo but in MMOs just because I enjoy seeing other people running around, but would rather not have to actually do things with them.

can the game be played entirely offline yet?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s the best of both worlds. Mmo encounter design and single player cutscene length

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

can the game be played entirely offline yet?

they are slowly adding NPC party members to every story-required dungeon - i think their goal is to have all of heavensward done by the next expansion, and then stormblood during that expansion's cycle - although you still have to do the 3-5 8 person trials every expansion has with real humans for the moment due to their complexity

i think the intent is to eventually have the entire game be playable offline for when the servers inevitably switch off, but that's a very long term project, and i wouldn't expect a fully solo playable game until like, 5-6 years minimum

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vermain posted:

they are slowly adding NPC party members to every story-required dungeon - i think their goal is to have all of heavensward done by the next expansion, and then stormblood during that expansion's cycle - although you still have to do the 3-5 8 person trials every expansion has with real humans for the moment due to their complexity

i think the intent is to eventually have the entire game be playable offline for when the servers inevitably switch off, but that's a very long term project, and i wouldn't expect a fully solo playable game until like, 5-6 years minimum

:coolfish:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
One day bp, one day. Until then, Y'shtola will be waiting for you..

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

One day bp, one day. Until then, Y'shtola will be waiting for you..

come play solo now discreetly, m'lord

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The AI dps is terrible at playing ffxiv

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

the developers trained them wrong as a joke so that you'd be encouraged to complete stuff with real people, although the difference in overall speed is pretty small if you're not running with some hyper-optimized group anyways

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In my experience npc teams took like 50% longer

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

I keep telling you I'm not an AI.:smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

In my experience npc teams took like 50% longer

i timed them before while leveling sage and it was something like 21-22 minutes with a human team and 25-26 minutes with an NPC team, although this varies depending on your own personal DPS and what role you're playing

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

Hell ff11 servers are still going. I'm not even sure xiv's will be going down ever lol.

To echo everyone else, ffxiv can very much be a solo game with other people for help with bosses and as a solo guy for the most part, it's the best

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 8, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Congrats to this forum's Game of the Year 2022 Elden Ring for its record-breaking 1199 points :toot:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hell ff11 servers are still going. I'm not even sure xiv's will be going down ever lol.

not just still going, the most recent content update came out Nov 10th 2022

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

Congrats to this forum's Game of the Year 2022 Elden Ring Triangle Strategy for its record-breaking 1199 points :toot:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vermain posted:

I think the schedule is that HW will be finished with the patch coming out this month and stormblood will be done with the following ones. think I'll dive back in at some point after 3.6 since I don't have a huge problem with playing with others, but it's been long enough since I cleared ARR that it'd be nice to be able to shake the rust off on my own

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rarity posted:

Congrats to this forum's Game of the Year 2022 Elden Ring for its record-breaking 1199 points :toot:

easily my game of the year, but it was a pretty darn good year

this year is going to be nuts because all the covid .jpg delays are going to drop

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

2023 is a year where I could legitimately have 4 different Final Fantasy new releases on my list lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

though from stray ff14 conversations I've caught I'm at least above the lowest tier of rando player since while tanking I wasn't oblivious to the fact that attack debuffs and defense buffs both mitigate damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

victrix posted:

easily my game of the year, but it was a pretty darn good year

this year is going to be nuts because all the covid .jpg delays are going to drop

i'm loving pumped for wo long now that i have a computer that can actually play it acceptably

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

:worship:

thanks again rarity. i don't know what we'd do without you!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vermain posted:

i'm loving pumped for wo long now that i have a computer that can actually play it acceptably

wild hearts is a month away!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shame it's published by EA so they think I'm gonna spend Ł70 on it

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Alhazred posted:

Finally finishing Ico thanks to PSN and I was struck by how modern it seemed. The lack of a hud, storytelling through game play (there's like 4 or 5 cutscenes in the entire game) and emphasis o puzzle solving rather than combat it plays like games like Inside or Portal. There's even a section of the game that feels like Portal 2 straight up plagiarized: You fall down into the underbelly of the main structure of the game and have to find a way up again.

Ico remains firmly in the "Games I wish I could experience for the first time again after a total Eternal Sunshine-style memory wipe" camp, along with DS1, Sekiro, Earthbound, Shadow of the Colossus and #1 contender, Outer Wilds.

Ico owns hard and everyone should play it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/pewfox1/status/1611228979830161408?s=46&t=PItDBe6pwLYNXzUd7pvNMw

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Aaaaaahhhh that's so drat adorable. :3:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So do Pokémon naturally evolve as they get older, or is that family forcing their Pokémon into battles

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Quite a few years go by between each picture, that Gardevoir could have evolved from forcing stray Rattata out of the house.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trying to get into Snowrunner and I don't seem to understand how to get the basic game loop off the ground. I finished the guided startup quest and now the only tasks I have listed are all contracts that require driving all over the map. The only trucks I have are one which can carry no cargo but mostly fumble its way through mud and one that can carry lots of cargo but gets instantly bogged down if it goes ten feet outside the garage. What am I supposed to be doing at this point?

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

haveblue posted:

Trying to get into Snowrunner and I don't seem to understand how to get the basic game loop off the ground. I finished the guided startup quest and now the only tasks I have listed are all contracts that require driving all over the map. The only trucks I have are one which can carry no cargo but mostly fumble its way through mud and one that can carry lots of cargo but gets instantly bogged down if it goes ten feet outside the garage. What am I supposed to be doing at this point?

I don't think there's a specific goal, but at least in my case I looked at the obstacles I'd encountered at that point and decided to just try opening up as many paths as possible like fixing bridges and fallen towers blocking roads and stuff. Just solving the areas problems in general.

I like to think of it as sort of Death Stranding in the sense you're trying to make it as easy to get around as possible by learning best routes and creating shortcuts, and ultimately connecting the community back together. :angel:

e: You should have a small truck and a big truck by the end of the tutorial mission. The small truck is for scouting and can get places the big truck can't because it can accelerate faster and doesn't get stuck in mud as much due to being lighter, so use it to explore a little too and find those observation towers and hidden truck parts like tires that can handle mud better.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 8, 2023

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

So do Pokémon naturally evolve as they get older, or is that family forcing their Pokémon into battles

there are wild raichus idiot

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I assume they’re pikas that found a vein of thunderstone near their dens

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there's also a lot of gangs around and it's not like adults always just let random kids handle them, we just don't see it on game adventures

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I was watching snippets of Ian Flynn's podcast, specifically stuff about Chaos and the Ancients, and yeah he outright confirms that Chaos IS still a mutated Chao, not the last Ancient, and their appearance and abilities are a result of their mutations. The ability to transform with the Emeralds wasn't something the Ancients themselves could do, Chaos' ability to use the Emeralds is part of their unique mutation.

Hmmmm... So the Ancients, with just the Chaos Emeralds, could only use them through their technology. Even though these Emeralds are (maybe) native to their own planet. They lacked the ability to channel the Emeralds' power with their own bodies.

But then, they move to Sonic's planet, and a group of them live next to the Master Emerald. And then, after tens of thousands of years, they evolve into a new species that can naturally use the Emeralds' power to an extent, as seen with the Chao being able to use Chaos Drives. And one unique individual amongst them can fully harness the power of the Emeralds, due to their Master-Emerald-induced mutations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

There’s wild azumarill (level 18 evo) just vibing on the overworld along with little groups of marill in level 50 zones so it probably could go either way.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Started playing vampire survivors and holy poo poo, it's great!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

a.lo posted:

I was watching snippets of Ian Flynn's podcast, specifically stuff about Chaos and the Ancients, and yeah he outright confirms that Chaos IS still a mutated Chao, not the last Ancient, and their appearance and abilities are a result of their mutations. The ability to transform with the Emeralds wasn't something the Ancients themselves could do, Chaos' ability to use the Emeralds is part of their unique mutation.

Hmmmm... So the Ancients, with just the Chaos Emeralds, could only use them through their technology. Even though these Emeralds are (maybe) native to their own planet. They lacked the ability to channel the Emeralds' power with their own bodies.

But then, they move to Sonic's planet, and a group of them live next to the Master Emerald. And then, after tens of thousands of years, they evolve into a new species that can naturally use the Emeralds' power to an extent, as seen with the Chao being able to use Chaos Drives. And one unique individual amongst them can fully harness the power of the Emeralds, due to their Master-Emerald-induced mutations.

Weren't there multiple ancient civilizations that messed with chaos energy poo poo, like the ones Gerald studied that developed early robots like Emerl to harness their power?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am thinking of replacing my Switch Pro Controller soon. Is the 8Bitdo Ultimate a good alternative or should I just get another Pro Controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have the Ultimate and I think I prefer how the Pro controller feels in the hand and it’s face buttons, but the Ultimate has a better dpad and the sticks feel a bit tighter which I like. Do you have any complaints about the Pro controller specifically?