Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

wizard2 posted:

was the Skyward Sword rerelease great or merely just very good? never played it

It’s on par with the WW and TP HD versions, which is to say some minor QoL improvements here and there and obviously higher res. The problem is SS just isn’t very good to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wizard2 posted:

if you are going to play skyward sword its the best way to play it because it trims down the worst aspects of the game its still one of the weaker zeldas but now it doesnt make you want to pull your hair out and scream every time the game interrupts itself to explain simple mechanics you figured out hours ago because it was either made optional amd you can fast forward through most of the text now

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

that does sound good to me, i can't stand botw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jokes on Nintendo, explaining simple puzzles to the player is the hot new trend. They Zigged when they should have zagged

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Did they make Fi like that because of Midna or was that a decision they made all on their own

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

nintendos

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If u play kirby and don't save the lost ducks every time you see them then fu k you t:mad:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

wizard2 posted:

It's just a bit dull to play in itself. I enjoyed it and the dungeons are really good, but the "real-motion" sword is very dumb and gives a focus to an unnecessary part of Zelda (combat). The coolest part was seeing all the BotW DNA in it. That was crazy. Because they are very different games and one is clearly better.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Which version of TP has the more-realistic looking baby man?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I played Twilight Princess when it came out and was throughly.... whelmed. It was definitely a game. Once I finished, I knew I'd never play it again. That godawful opening before you can even go forth into hyrule is way too long (from what I remember). Riding your horse through the field was fine, and the game felt like a super remaster/reboot of OoT. Everyone says the snowboarding was awesome but I don't even remember any of that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zelda NPCs in 3d games always look weird, but they really took it to a horrifying new level in TP. Probably because the art style was more "realistic", so they became very uncanny. It wasn't the only reason I stopped playing it (mostly cuz it takes forever to get going and the wolf gameplay was underwhelming), but it was a big one.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i started to replay it recently and lol'd at the slow start but turning into a wolf reminded me how lame that is and how much I don't want to do that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Miyamoto told them after twilight princess the next game should feature a sword link could gently caress

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Miyamoto told them after twilight princess the next game should feature a sword link could gently caress

he didnt say this at all actually

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he didnt say this at all actually

Well to more directly quote him, he said "feature a sword link could gently caress"

nintendo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Please don't gently caress the swords.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

wizard2 posted:

it turns an nearly unplayable game into one that's playable and somewhat fun, but only if you use the stick-controls for sword
it's still the weakest 3d Zelda by far and the Skyward Sword levels in Hyrule Warriors DE are still the best Skyward Sword experience

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i started to replay it recently and lol'd at the slow start but turning into a wolf reminded me how lame that is and how much I don't want to do that

its cool

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tafferling posted:

I tought it was a battle royale due to all the bunnies running around the top of the screen, it seems that multiplayer is coop only. Bummer...

Co-op works really well for this though, since the idea of the game is performing well and quickly enough by the end of a match to defeat the Uzroboss, and in coop everybody's final performance goes together to determine how much damage you get and if you win or not. There's also still random drop in lobbies so it's okay if you don't have a group to play with.

There is something like a survival challenge you eventually unlock, but it's a single player mode. That said it's pretty intense and it isn't endless and has score tiers so there's still that thrill of trying to perform well and hang on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

Please don't gently caress the swords.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hey gently caress you too pal!!!!!!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

wizard2 posted:

Never played the re-release, but wanted to push back against skyward sword hate! Really enjoyed that game personally, I like exploration but also want to feel like I'm artfully kicking rear end. Especially after ~waggling~.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I enjoyed the Skyward Sword rerelease. I couldn't tell you how much of it was just feeling refreshed that it was a Zeldaass Zelda after botw

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I heard good things but I want to be sure: Is the 8bitdo Ultimate a good Switch controller that I can also use on PC? I think my current pro controller is starting to get worn down in the control sticks.

Pro controller lasted for 5 years so I call that a good run, unlike the Dualshocks for PS4 and PS5 that I had to replace within a year or two.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda game and the original wii release is the definitive version

It is also the best looking Zelda game but that isn't saying much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda game and the original wii release is the definitive version

i am putting you in a cupboard

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

flavor.flv posted:

A Link to the Past is my favourite Zelda game and the original Nintendo Switch Online release is the definitive version

It is also the best looking Zelda game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

flavor.flv posted:

:blastu:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Whatever.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

drat, a lot of zelda talk, and i was just thinking of doing a massive zelda playthrough in a couple of months. apparently skyward sword is the start of the entire zelda timeline and i was hoping to do the series chronologically so it'd be the first.

seems like it has conflicting opinions!

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

drat, a lot of zelda talk, and i was just thinking of doing a massive zelda playthrough in a couple of months. apparently skyward sword is the start of the entire zelda timeline and i was hoping to do the series chronologically so it'd be the first.

It's an awful game, but some people like going against the general consensus and say it isn't bad.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

i was hoping to do the series chronologically

:stare:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do take the time to look up the codes to turn off Fi's alerts. I don't think I would have liked it nearly as much without that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

abelwingnut posted:

Good luck with that, there's at least three timelines

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Len posted:

Good luck with that, there's at least three timelines

oh dear. so...yea, not sure how that'd work then.

what would be the best order? release order? was hoping to play them in the order easiest to understand the overarching story. i remember playing lttp and ocarina and windwaker as a kid/teen, and it never really gelled how they all connected. playing chronologically was supposed to remedy that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

oh dear. so...yea, not sure how that'd work then.

what would be the best order? release order? was hoping to play them in the order easiest to understand the overarching story. i remember playing lttp and ocarina and windwaker as a kid/teen, and it never really gelled how they all connected. playing chronologically was supposed to remedy that.

There's no overarching story.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

abelwingnut posted:

i tried to do this but realized id have to play several zeldas games i dont personally like as much as i do the others so gave up and just played the ones i liked like oracle of ages instead

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the zelda challenge has destroyed many a gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Play in ascending order of metacritic scores so the games keep getting better as you go

Good luck getting through the first week, though. Faces of Evil is rough