Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just had a win with both of the lightning bolt items that restore health/shields per spellcast, the +2 to heals item, the chalice that deals damage for excess healing, the yellow with the shield bash, and the red spell that heals 2 health for 1 magic point. Maybe the most synergy I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

218 Blursed run. Had an adjustment that gave me and mobs -2 hp and let me just say that enemies with 1 hp are very easy to defeat. Watching a screen full of bones blow up and take everything out around them for 1 vine cast is :discourse:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I love this game but I'm finding most of my runs are ended by enemies that only take chip damage these days.

If you're going to make me fight infinite slates then can you give me some more items to deal with them without having to always auto pick vine?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Spermanent Record posted:

I love this game but I'm finding most of my runs are ended by enemies that only take chip damage these days.

If you're going to make me fight infinite slates then can you give me some more items to deal with them without having to always auto pick vine?

Wait until you find out about that rogue who can kill any mob with 4 hp or less with just one ranged shot.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There's also Sparky for Zap. Less reliable, but jugglers can also do some nasty damage to slates, and poisoning a Slate will take it down quicker too.

Warrior and Tank characters don't really get a good way of dealing with them though. I suppose stun tends to be pretty reliable, what with their low hp.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres wanderer for warriors, but thats tier 3. maybe a tier 2 warrior with a 1 damage, use twice dice would be nice?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

... This is the final boss... and of course it's Hexia.

Does anyone have a strat. We are stuck with the item that if that character dies, the whole run is wiped.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Roll really well, get enough mana for multiple blazes plus some shields, burn her down

Uhhh I've got nothing if you don't get rerolls and cantrip mana

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imo either keep the jester and try and get the dodges then blast through Hexia (rip your bottom guy), or the sorcerer and go for a super defensive poison attempt. You have Blaze and loads of mana so either way should be doable

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

distortion park posted:

Imo either keep the jester and try and get the dodges then blast through Hexia (rip your bottom guy), or the sorcerer and go for a super defensive poison attempt. You have Blaze and loads of mana so either way should be doable

silvergoose posted:

Roll really well, get enough mana for multiple blazes plus some shields, burn her down

Uhhh I've got nothing if you don't get rerolls and cantrip mana

I got extremely lucky and managed to land my growth reroll cantrip enough times I'm just going to generate infinite mana.

AND THAT'S BRUTAL BAYBEE!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

See? My advice to roll well was right!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Inceltown posted:

Wait until you find out about that rogue who can kill any mob with 4 hp or less with just one ranged shot.

I mean i just got a 100 run on Blursed. I'm familiar with the game but it's like the poster below says - there aren't many good tier 3 options for dealing chip damage unless you luck into a wanderer or huge source of mana.

I've started keeping tier 2 heroes now and that does help but I think tier 3 needs another look over.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Another reasonably big Youtube LPer, Wanderbots, covered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltU74gXaAQ

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Unfair is not very fair.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

One of the funnest, yet balanced, games I've ever had, this squad was a drat wrecking ball. Dragon could never get an attack off from the 5 weaken. The biggest threat was from a ghost-filled fight but the hex helped get me through it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

Unfair is not very fair.

I've honestly given up on even trying unfair. I only ever won it one time using custom party back in the first version after dozens of attempts.

New version is even harder. No way it's happening.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

oh hey, I've been obsessed with this game for the last few weeks. very cool to find out it was made by a goon

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
drat, that's a lot of extra modes on the paid version.

I must not have paid attention on the pay page because I was just expecting the final few levels/classes/item tiers

Shame that now that I have the full version, my runs seem to be dying sooner

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CainFortea posted:

I've honestly given up on even trying unfair. I only ever won it one time using custom party back in the first version after dozens of attempts.

New version is even harder. No way it's happening.

Yeah for a game that "doesn't want you to just roll and use what you get" 99% of the seeds shouldn't be impossible.

Curses are not well tuned, even knowing the mode is meant to be punishing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's a rogue-like. You are meant to just die in horribly unfair ways a lot of the time. That is part of the charm. The flip side of that is how satisfying it is when you put together a magical combo and just sail through like it ain't no thing.

Speaking of sailing through I can confirm that having neither of 999 rerolls and 999 mana is a secret. So don't sweat on keeping up with that infinite reroll combo until you hit the max as it doesn't matter.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There's a dude on the discord who's rocking like a 60% winrate on unfair. Which is, admittedly, still pretty low, but I think it bodes well if there's someone who's able to win more often than not.

Couldn't be me though, I think I'm only at like 15% winrate on unfair.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't play any mode other than blursed now. The trade-off between curses and blessings leads to lots of interesting decisions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I don't play any mode other than blursed now. The trade-off between curses and blessings leads to lots of interesting decisions.

I've been mainlining Heaven because it's so relaxing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

40 on Blursed, No idea if I can actually save my Stalwart here... well, while making progress anyway.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah I'd give up the stalwart, try to get the fencer to kill all the imps, and see if you can survive the next turn

RME
Feb 20, 2012

been enjoying this game quite a bit lately, easy to fit a session in when i want. got through normal and hard almost immediately, but definitely took some more effort to get an unfair clear, but i eventually got there (with a starter blessing too, which I think is actually somewhat hard to be a correct choice. was pretty down to the wire though, i was pretty much singularly reliant on hitting a 10 pip flute cantrip -> steel side combo)
i'll probably settle in for doing unfair streaking at some point, but i figure i'll at least try and get a brutal clear. a little reading has pretty much confirmed my suspicion that 5 blue is basically the only real way to go for i. I know brutal is a bit of a, like, not joke difficulty but definitely a novelty, but it's still a bit frustrating how starting a fresh seed on it can be. plenty of seeds are basically a slim miserable drag to even get to floor 4, and it's a kind of bad prospect to have to reach floor 10 on a different just to really get another shot (only for the chance of spawning a thorn on floor 1, blocking the dumb 5 blue strat entirely or forcing a dummy run just to kill the thorn). I think part of the compulsion is there's an unlock barred behind the brutal clear, and while I know there's an unlock all button it feels kind of bad to click when I have so many other unlocks too. But so does waiting to get through those in a more honest fashion just to feel like I can attempt it again.

I'm not going to claim to be an authority on balance or whatever, but there can definitely be some pain points with unfair as well. I wouldn't really expect every curse to be properly budgeted, even that seems kind of impossible to accomplish. I think the limitedness of the curse point buy at the beginning really belies how synergistic some curses can be, especially with how limited the selection can be. And returning to an earlier point the blessings can feel like a detriment to appear in the panel because it's not just that you have to pick extra curse points to balance them out, but they seemingly take a slot too, limiting your choices further (and ofc, whatever value you're adding is going to be the 'worst' end of curses you pick too, because you wouldn't pick them if you only had to reach 10).

I think I'd almost appreciate if the starting point buy was a decently larger selection but lacked the choice to reroll them, and maybe blessings would have their own slot or something. I'm not sure how much easier it would make it, and I do think it'd end up being a nerf overall (with the caveat that some seeds are just going to have lower floors), but I think it would help at least feel more in control.

really do enjoy the game though

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Does each difficulty on each mode have its own unlock if you beat it?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pretty sure they’re universal, and I think there’s only a small handful of clears on classic brutal in the first place

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
BaerTaffy is streaming this today. He's a fairly popular dude on twitch

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I really need to stop reflexively going "Seer? Yeah he's got good sides, let's go with that" when I have the cooldown burst curse.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

At least you can keep all the mana lol

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tann posted:

At least you can keep all the mana lol

I have the -000 mana curse too. fml

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

archduke.iago posted:

No achievement for a 20 turn win unfortunately, I think getting a high value curse is important so you can get more than 20 points of blessings. In this case monster dice values don't matter if they never get a turn.

Armorer was the MVP, with the +6 shield/boost sides for sure.

Since I found out this was possible this is the only way I have been playing.

There's a couple of combinations that will work. Growth with extra rolls and a dancer has a good shot.

The one that got me closest with 22 turns was this.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

code:
`{v:200r,d:{n:78,p:{h:[Ninja~Poison Dip~Copper Ring,Eccentric~Lightning Rod~Regen Potion,Valkyrie~Olympian Trident~Polished Emerald,Fate~Spell: Hex~Nunchaku,Ghast~Compass~Spanner],e:[Rejuvenation Wand,Reagents]},m:[Cruel Burst,Fizzing,Bottom Poison,Start Damaged,Fear,Skulk,Boss Smash,Revive 3 hp,Worse Items,A,Start Damaged+,Crackling,Fourth single-use,Nostalgia,Slow Spells,Heavy Dice,Save Spell,Monster HP,Selfless Heroes,Sandstorm,XYZ],l:{m:[Troll,Caw,Wisp,Troll]}},c:[1513,341,1673,1421,1803,17Z1,326,328,2062,2141,2273,2363,4,17Z3,1650,1500,1830,1402,1402,302,316,2052,2274,2375,4,2064,2262,23Z1,4],s:412102331,p:[10]}`
A truly perplexing puzzle I ran into deep in a blursed run. Everyone's taking one damage from sandstorm, so Fate's smokescreen alone won't save her. So many measures are barely insufficient - I can only get the troll to either 2 or 0 HP so I can't Harvest, and the Caw can't be Harvested in the back row, so I can't get to 4 mana for the Strand combo (and even if I could, I have Slow Spells so I only get 3 uses anyway). I can save like two heroes but they're probably screwed from then on. If there IS a solution to this it would be a really good puzzle, but... I'm not sure there is.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm still playing the free version and I'm making 0 progress on unfair. I've gotten to the boss once but it feels so punishing because the best curses to take early are the stuff like less health and you just can't outpace that later on.

Is there a list of curses to pick/ignore somewhere?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm still playing the free version and I'm making 0 progress on unfair. I've gotten to the boss once but it feels so punishing because the best curses to take early are the stuff like less health and you just can't outpace that later on.

There are very few curses that are "always skip" just because it depends so much on class options and items.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CainFortea posted:

There are very few curses that are "always skip" just because it depends so much on class options and items.

Don't you have to pick curses up front? I'm not seeing a lot of choice in terms of class/item picks as a way to play around curses.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Don't you have to pick curses up front? I'm not seeing a lot of choice in terms of class/item picks as a way to play around curses.

Yea, but some curses might be game enders later on in the run. Some curses might be easily ignored later on.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I usually take Pristine Enemies if it's offered. Lot of points and it can be nullified by aoe/cleave, which is relatively common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I think the best approach to unfair is to assume you need to win battles in 1-3 rounds or you are hosed, so the safest tend to be:
-Stuff that slowly hurts you, like start poisoned or take damage on turn X
-Stuff that buffs monster dice
-reduced mana storage

And the most dangerous tend to be things that nerf your ability to do damage or buff monster durability.