Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Good characters, good art direction, nails the classic Star Wars vibe. Level design is very mixed and the easier take on Souls combat can be fun but is at times a little janky. Overall an enjoyable experience and worth the sale price.

The first game had an extremely condensed production. Respawn had to assemble an entirely new dev team with mostly fresh hires and assembled the game in a much shorter time period than the studio was used to, but it still turned out pretty well. They've had much more time to work on the second one, expanded the team, and kept most of the devs from the first game. So, I'm looking forward they can see with the extra time and resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fun lightsaber combat, incredibly annoying combat against beasts and fauna, lack of fast-travel / need for back-tracking is terrible, oh my God so many jump puzzles.

Not a terrible game, but I'd have been pissed off if I bought it full-price.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Timby posted:

Fun lightsaber combat, incredibly annoying combat against beasts and fauna, lack of fast-travel / need for back-tracking is terrible, oh my God so many jump puzzles.

Not a terrible game, but I'd have been pissed off if I bought it full-price.

Yeah it's terrible. It's also still very buggy where loads don't have sound, enemies just fall through the floor (especially rams which is fine because the animals are all bad), Cal vibrates violently very often while traversing the environment. Combat is sloppy but it's fun enough. The story is good and the characters are also good.

The "metroidvania" back tracking and uncharted climbing around poo poo needs to be removed from the next game entirely they don't know what they're doing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

why do you have five pages worth of posts in this thread just talking about how much you hate this game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

why do you have five pages worth of posts in this thread just talking about how much you hate this game

Did I miss a sign that says positive feedback only? My above post contains positive feedback. Please follow my lead in taking a more nuanced view of the game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I think it was good and fun actually, except for the final boss sequence which wasn't.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Counterpoint: the final boss sequence is awesome

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Torrannor posted:

So did anybody zoom into this special part of the big Jedi Survivor art? What is that? An exploding death start? A planet that's breaking apart? Seems pretty important.

Just looks like an asteroid to me. They do not need another planet -destroying superweapon in Star Trek.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

One of the force powers should be throwing the gun at people and having it shoot them in the face while it floats around

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Fallen Order 1 honestly gave me bigger Metroid Prime (but 3rd person) vibes than Dark Souls. Maybe I'm just weird.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
all the boss fights were good, as were most of the fights against storm troopers, bounty hunters, those purple glow stick guys, etc

it was poncho collecting and fighting space dogs and bugs that sucked and that was like 60% of the game

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The main and most amusing problem with Star Wars video games that feature light sabers is they often also feature locked doors which causes the video game mechanics to clash with the lore mechanics. A magic energy sword that cuts anything and can only be blocked or repelled by other energy swords... And walls, and locked doors, and basically everything else that would break the game if you cut it as easily as a movie accurate one does. That and just the idea that some giant space rat tries to bite you, so you block its bite with a light saber which actually it bounces the rat back instead of severing its face in half instantly. But on the other hand, movie accurate light sabers are so comically broken I don't realistically think there is a way to include one in a game. It is just that unworkable with how stuff normally works in video games with gating and progression so I can give it a pass, but it is still funny.

Which is why the light saber in Fallen Order is basically a really bright glowing bat/club/staff that you use to bludgeon your enemies to death and may cause various giant space rats to spontaneously split into burned halves when they run out of HP.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You just need to make a Star Wars game that follows the Hellish Quart example: touched by sword = ded.

https://i.imgur.com/nocKKWx.mp4

Edit: you could also do this with a cheat code in the Raven Software games (Jedi Outcast/Academy), and while popping off arms, legs, and heads with the lightest touch was OP, it was also fun as gently caress.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 2, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I figure you basically have to treat a lightsaber game as something that looks cool but not think too deeply about it. To be more "realistic", you'd just be slicing your way through buildings everywhere unless they were covered in forcefields, and combat would pretty much be Dismemberment Simulator 2023. All of which might make for a fun game, but not one Disney Star Wars is gonna produce.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
All locked doors feature a kortosis weave

Space rat teeth? Also kortosis

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just looks like an asteroid to me. They do not need another planet -destroying superweapon in Star Trek.

The cartoons have a couple of planets (Anaxes, Concord Dawn) that got severely damaged to the point of breaking apart. Could easily be that kind of thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone on the fence about Fallen Order, it's free on PS+ this month and it's both the PS4 and PS5 versions.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I was considering a reinstall but its like 100 GB for the PS5 version

If both Elden Ring and Witcher 3 can keep it to 50 GB you do not need 100 GB to see the pores on the main guy's face

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wolfsheim posted:

I was considering a reinstall but its like 100 GB for the PS5 version

If both Elden Ring and Witcher 3 can keep it to 50 GB you do not need 100 GB to see the pores on the main guy's face

Are you sure that's the PS5 version? I'm looking at it on my console right now and it's like 47.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I liked it quite a bit. It has problems but I found it interesting enough to keep playing. Also I suggest after finishing the game and going around finishing up achievements or just exploring to turn the difficulty all the way down. Then you finally feel like a Jedi, this unstoppable force clowning everything around you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

You just need to make a Star Wars game that follows the Hellish Quart example: touched by sword = ded.

https://i.imgur.com/nocKKWx.mp4

Edit: you could also do this with a cheat code in the Raven Software games (Jedi Outcast/Academy), and while popping off arms, legs, and heads with the lightest touch was OP, it was also fun as gently caress.

saberrealisticcombat should always be set to 1

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So if nothing else, Merrin does appear on the cover of the tie-in novel coming out ahead of Survivor. Perhaps all is not lost yet!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MMAgCh posted:

So if nothing else, Merrin does appear on the cover of the tie-in novel coming out ahead of Survivor. Perhaps all is not lost yet!

Unless she bites it or gets otherwise written out to tie up the lose end before Survivor comes out...

I really, really want Merrin to be in Survivor :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Torrannor posted:

Unless she bites it or gets otherwise written out to tie up the lose end before Survivor comes out...

Well we’ll always have her 10 lines and 2 minutes of screen time from the first one

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MMAgCh posted:

What tie-in novel? I didn't see that announcement.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Epi Lepi posted:

What tie-in novel? I didn't see that announcement.
https://www.starwars.com/news/cal-kestis-returns-in-star-wars-jedi-battle-scars-cover-reveal

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Torrannor posted:

I'm sure she'll be in the game. Probably come in and save Cal's rear end at the last minute.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you sure that's the PS5 version? I'm looking at it on my console right now and it's like 47.

ohhhh maybe thats the ps4+5 versions combined and the psn store was being dumb

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Merrin was sucked into the Mantis's engines when Greez hosed up and turned them on while she was standing near them. Greez then lied to Cal/Cere and told them that she had decided to return to Dathomir.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She's in the IMDb and doesn't have any other good gigs so I'd just assume she's in the game.

E: apparently the story centres around Cal reuniting the crew who have disbanded or gone their separate ways for reasons. Maybe they just don't want to give up spoilers on Greez and Merrin.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 5, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JBP posted:

She's in the IMDb and doesn't have any other good gigs so I'd just assume she's in the game.

E: apparently the story centres around Cal reuniting the crew who have disbanded or gone their separate ways for reasons. Maybe they just don't want to give up spoilers on Greez and Merrin.

Yes. The spoiler will be Greez sheepishly admitting that he mistakenly got Merrin sucked into the Mantis's engines.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
“This door cannot be opened from this side” Yup that’s a soulslike(okay not really but it does take a lot of inspiration from them)

Picked this up from PS+ and it’s a lot of fun. Parry timing feels weird though

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RatHat posted:

“This door cannot be opened from this side” Yup that’s a soulslike(okay not really but it does take a lot of inspiration from them)

Play it on Jedi Knight or whatever the second highest difficulty level is, the whole game was made around that and then they added in the others and hosed with the parry timings without much testing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I am, it still feels sooner than it should be

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ytlaya posted:

Merrin was sucked into the Mantis's engines when Greez hosed up and turned them on while she was standing near them. Greez then lied to Cal/Cere and told them that she had decided to return to Dathomir.

Merrin/Greez lovechild is the silent baby protagonist for episodes 10 through 12. Excuse me, X through XII.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The boss battles in this game feel a lot like Sekiro

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

ohhhh maybe thats the ps4+5 versions combined and the psn store was being dumb

They sometimes show the space needed for install which can be double actual size if it decompresses and then copies over instead of moving files.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
When you go to download it, it offers you the choice of the ps4 or 5 version, and yea, they’re like 45 and 55 gb respectively.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

The parry timing always felt off for me when fighting non-humanoid enemies. It's serviceable against humanoids, though not on the level of a "true" action game with that mechanic, like Sekiro or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's strange, this is the only game where I have been able to parry with any degree of reliability.