Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

InternetOfTwinks posted:

It's honestly pretty impossible to notice once it's going, might just stick a noise gate on the end and call it set to be honest

this is the sane approach, USB power is very hard to get clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

JamesKPolk posted:

USB power is very hard to get clean

Is this why the Keystep Pro is such a noisy bitch?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Both of these are 100% true - I learned by picking up trackers from one of my childhood friends and learning from the .S3M/.MOD files he gave me to start out with, and there was still a huge tracking community in the late 90s/early 00s, especially on IRC. I miss the hell out of it, honestly - the eurorack scene is the closest thing I've found to the tracking scene since I started doing music, and I think having community again is part of what's helped me to get back into making music regularly. Poking around in a DAW and shooting tracks into the void just isn't much fun compared to having a community for your obscure passion.

I should see if my old IRC haunts are still active.

Going to shamelessly plug the IRC some friends run focused on music production and DJing.
irc.emp.cx #electronic

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Back on that topic, a lot of communities exist only in discord now. Which is great for the people in them but none of it is available to search engines which really destroys discoverability.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

net work error posted:

Going to shamelessly plug the IRC some friends run focused on music production and DJing.
irc.emp.cx #electronic

Anyone know how to port an IRC into Discord? :v: All the tutorials and software I'm seeing goes the other way for some reason.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Zoia and Euroburo are 20% off for the next few hours.

https://empresseffects.com/collections/products

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm feeling real good about Rene v2. Have read 75% of the manual and figured out most things in first 24 hours, and it weirdly makes a lot more sense to me than any of the other sequencers I have. Looking at that stack, I don't see the Keystep Pro going anywhere, and the SQ64 is too cheap and small to not have one, but I may end up selling my beatstep if I don't touch it in the next few weeks, there's a limit to how many sequencers a human needs, and, more practically, a limit to my desk space. Rene's "simple", it doesn't do stuff like gate ratcheting (neither does BSP) but it's also more intuitive to do that in rack with a clock divider since I'm already in rack land, and the whole UX of the device just makes sense to me.

Rene is great; from reading and videos I assumed it would be somewhere between Bloom and Beatstep, and that's about right. The touch controls seem nice, I hope they hold up, I know MakeNoise has a long history of capacitive controls.

Looking over the select bus stuff makes me realize how poorly I actually understand all the things Tempi can do, so figuring that out next and then getting drum state transitions (or whatever is being tempi'd) when Rene changes will be cool. Throw some slow LFOs on there and maybe throw the Y-lane of Rene at the root input and clock on Bloom and we're well into "generative". Bloom seems much more generative than performative to me, at a glance Rene swings the other direction.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Ended up spending today just loving around with the Bluebox, getting my project template ready to go and starting to get a handle on the EQ/FX sections. Will need to experiment some more but I definitely think this is the way to go with how I'm working on stuff. Been taking some time to just noodle around on the keys without anything in particular in mind, making a significant improvement in my playing dexterity already. Should probably start working through some like, structured learning but one step at a time here heh.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm feeling real good about Rene v2. Have read 75% of the manual and figured out most things in first 24 hours, and it weirdly makes a lot more sense to me than any of the other sequencers I have. Looking at that stack, I don't see the Keystep Pro going anywhere, and the SQ64 is too cheap and small to not have one, but I may end up selling my beatstep if I don't touch it in the next few weeks, there's a limit to how many sequencers a human needs, and, more practically, a limit to my desk space. Rene's "simple", it doesn't do stuff like gate ratcheting (neither does BSP) but it's also more intuitive to do that in rack with a clock divider since I'm already in rack land, and the whole UX of the device just makes sense to me.

Rene is great; from reading and videos I assumed it would be somewhere between Bloom and Beatstep, and that's about right. The touch controls seem nice, I hope they hold up, I know MakeNoise has a long history of capacitive controls.

Looking over the select bus stuff makes me realize how poorly I actually understand all the things Tempi can do, so figuring that out next and then getting drum state transitions (or whatever is being tempi'd) when Rene changes will be cool. Throw some slow LFOs on there and maybe throw the Y-lane of Rene at the root input and clock on Bloom and we're well into "generative". Bloom seems much more generative than performative to me, at a glance Rene swings the other direction.

My favorite thing with René is how easy it is to add / remove notes from the quantize page, which is great for altering sequences on the fly in a performance.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

My favorite thing with René is how easy it is to add / remove notes from the quantize page, which is great for altering sequences on the fly in a performance.

yes! It even occurred to me that state changes which do nothing but change key, are super cool and useful and then if they can also trigger Tempi shifts, very easy to have a major key pattern with soft drums that just jumps into a minor key with more hardcore drums, or whatever. Weirdly I think I'm going to spend more time figuring out Tempi better, than Rene. Rene seems and is stupidly powerful and flexible, but it's basically all just there behind 1-2 keypresses, with none of Tempi's tendency to want you to remember color combinations and different A/B combos for different modes.

Also, that makes sense to me -- looking at what a Shared System layout looks like, Rene & Pressure Points seem like the "performance corner".

Pressure points is definitely on my list, seems like a fun way to program notes etc, but I want a CV Thing next (to send Triad chords out of rack to Hydra, mostly), and I may need another rack before I look at a Pressure Points. So, yea, April? :sigh:

Do you find yourself using scales besides major, major pentatonic and minor that much? There's a lot of weird scales I never seem to touch on any of my devices that support them.

I also feel like if I was doing a complex performance with Rene I would end up making myself a cheat sheet of what sequence is in what spot. Though, I know all those shifts can be programmed into a sequence with a combination of Z-mod and Z-CV.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody here use a disting? Seems like quite a swiss army knife in low hp.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

I was looking at this instead of a CV thing. It is a swiss army knife in low hp. I don't really want one, or an o_C, because they seem like stopgap modules to plug a hole until a dedicated module is found, and for that I prefer Daisy because in theory I can make anything I want and in practice many of the things I want exist.

I think it depends on what you see yourself using a disting for, and how many modes seem useful, and how good that seems vs X dedicated modules. I've seen racks on modgrid that just have like 6 distings in a row and I am always :raise:

If you get one lmk what you think. Also compare it to the After Later o_C, probably, as far as swiss army knives go that's the most appealing one to me.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a v1 Rene and I'm still not comfortable with it. I need to spend a while focusing on it I think...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

yes! It even occurred to me that state changes which do nothing but change key, are super cool and useful and then if they can also trigger Tempi shifts, very easy to have a major key pattern with soft drums that just jumps into a minor key with more hardcore drums, or whatever. Weirdly I think I'm going to spend more time figuring out Tempi better, than Rene. Rene seems and is stupidly powerful and flexible, but it's basically all just there behind 1-2 keypresses, with none of Tempi's tendency to want you to remember color combinations and different A/B combos for different modes.

Also, that makes sense to me -- looking at what a Shared System layout looks like, Rene & Pressure Points seem like the "performance corner".

Pressure points is definitely on my list, seems like a fun way to program notes etc, but I want a CV Thing next (to send Triad chords out of rack to Hydra, mostly), and I may need another rack before I look at a Pressure Points. So, yea, April? :sigh:

Do you find yourself using scales besides major, major pentatonic and minor that much? There's a lot of weird scales I never seem to touch on any of my devices that support them.

I also feel like if I was doing a complex performance with Rene I would end up making myself a cheat sheet of what sequence is in what spot. Though, I know all those shifts can be programmed into a sequence with a combination of Z-mod and Z-CV.

Personally I feel like 0-ctrl made pressure points obsolete. PP was the first to leave my shared system because it's just too large for what it is, and since then 0ctrl sits in front of it and it's a much better layout that way, easier to access and play than in the rack.

Initially I printed a cheat sheet with scales for René but now I'm mostly start with a root note and add/remove more one by one by ear until I get a mood that fits what I want to achieve. I get good results faster that way, with only a few notes selected (2-4) and then removing or adding a few to introduce variety

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

but now I'm mostly start with a root note and add/remove more one by one by ear until I get a mood that fits what I want to achieve

oh good I'm not the only one

Death to scales!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here play with a Moog Sub25?

I’m kinda back to wanting one?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

I have a v1 Rene and I'm still not comfortable with it. I need to spend a while focusing on it I think...

Something nice and easy to do with René is to have the y clock being 1/4 of the x clock so you have nice 64 steps melodies that are basically 4 different 4-steps sequences that are repeated before moving to the next.

So you don't need to use states to go further than the 16 steps limit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love scales. Everything sounds so different and so moody. Keeps me interested and curious about what I’ll find next and makes me feel like a Real Music Person (no real). Phrygian is fuckin tight, I always have fun with pentatonic scales, and try out a Hungarian minor scale for some weird poo poo. They’re super fun to play with.

I just have no idea how to use them. :v:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 5, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I love scales. Everything sounds so different and so moody. Keeps me interested and curious about what I’ll find next and makes me feel like a Real Music Person (no real). Phrygian is fuckin tight, I always have fun with pentatonic scales, and try out a Hungarian minor scale for some weird poo poo. They’re super fun to play with.

I'm not against scales, just the way René works (basically a quantizer) it's much easier to start with smaller, more constrained "scales" instead of letting it go all over the place.

The way I use it is closer to an arpeggiator where you select 3-4 notes and let it go wild and change octaves.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s too late. You gave me an opportunity to talk about scales so I took it. Escape while you can.

Some fun fun modular poo poo is to set up a few LFOs with different rates and reset timing, pipe them into a sequential switch, route the output of that switch to a sample and hold with eighth-note timing, send the S&H output to a quantizer, and send a gate to the switch once every bar. Instant 4-to-8 bar section! In fact I’m gonna do that when I get home, see if I can get inspired.

I wonder if there’s a VCV module that records notes as sheet music or tracker files, to make it easier when referring back to your jams and samples.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's some vcv modules that can record midi information.

https://library.vcvrack.com/Chinenual-VCV/MIDIRecorder

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder if there’s a VCV module that records notes as sheet music or tracker files, to make it easier when referring back to your jams and samples.

Not as you described, but there is seq++ which is sort of in that vein. There's probably other takes on it too but that's the one I know of.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

Harmonic Minor is The Fun One if you want to get all Switched On Bach with it

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah Phrygian is dope as hell, why yes I listened to a lot of Tool in high school and also still how could you tell? Lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I was looking at this instead of a CV thing. It is a swiss army knife in low hp. I don't really want one, or an o_C, because they seem like stopgap modules to plug a hole until a dedicated module is found, and for that I prefer Daisy because in theory I can make anything I want and in practice many of the things I want exist.

I think it depends on what you see yourself using a disting for, and how many modes seem useful, and how good that seems vs X dedicated modules. I've seen racks on modgrid that just have like 6 distings in a row and I am always :raise:

If you get one lmk what you think. Also compare it to the After Later o_C, probably, as far as swiss army knives go that's the most appealing one to me.

The quantizer and dual Euclidean rhythm generator algos are what really appeal to me. Almost all of the other functions seem like real bonus stuff too. Looking for what is readily available, and compact form are what pointed me in that direction.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
O_C is great because it can be a swiss army knife (hemispheres) or it can be a fuckin Sick quantizer (stock). Was always curious about disting but I don't regret buying O_C.

The thing about swiss army knives (for me) is that I'll find a couple of favorite modes and ignore the rest. My hemispheres O_C was always making euclidean circles and quantizing. I got a temps utile for trigger generation and life is much better.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The way I use it is closer to an arpeggiator where you select 3-4 notes and let it go wild and change octaves.

heh, I was feeding outputs from rene to arpitecht last night and then clocking arpitecht at 4x rene. good times

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

B33rChiller posted:

I had two mk4s for a bit over a year, and have ended selling or trading both of them. Not because they weren't useful, but because I kinda grew out of them. They *are* good Swiss army knives, but their biggest advantage is finding what the holes in your system are and getting dedicated modules to fill that gap better. The Disting does practically everything, but it's mostly just *okay* at doing everything. And honestly, it's incredibly agonizing to use with its tiny two-character scrolling screen and complicated knob/encoder combinations. My personal tack is that it's not a bad thing to get, but mostly to figure out what you need in your system, because you'll find yourself not wanting to move it from the one or two things you use it for most.

On the other side of the coin, the o_C is so useful I'm debating getting a second one. It does a lot of truly unique things that I use constantly, especially Quantermain (ever want to use four quantized Turing Machines at once?), Viznutcracker (the bytebeats are amazing glitch drums) and Harrington 1200 (which is AMAZING with an Acid Rain Chainsaw). Its alternate firmware, Hemispheres, turns it into a Swiss army knife similar to a Disting, but far more usable and with the ability to use two functions at once. I find myself always using the stock firmware, but Hemispheres is super useful too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ah, thanks for the insights on the disting, folks. The drawback that I could start to see was that, although it can be many things, it can only be one of those things at a time.
What RocketMermaid just posted lays that out in a manner that makes it more clear for me. Cheers
Merci

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I have a mk4 but I still haven't dug too deep into it as of yet, so far my experience with it mirrors RocketMermaid's though. If I were to get one now I'd probably pony up the extra for the one that's two mk4s welded together but with my current setup I don't think it's all that necessary.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The Disting (mk4) sucks and I hate it. I use it all the time and I’ll never sell it. The EX looks like a considerable improvement due to the screen though.

uo_c is great. If it weren’t for DROID I would have gotten a second one a long time ago.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

j.peeba posted:

The Disting (mk4) sucks and I hate it. I use it all the time and I’ll never sell it.

See thread title, I guess? drat.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Still haven't bit the trigger on a Teensy.
Added Retroplug to the toolchain so now instead of recording out of an emulator on my 3DS into Ableton I can record out of an emulator on my PC but still compose on my 3DS. If anyone else wants to dive with me into LSDJ madness Defense Mechanism has a good YouTube and website. He posts his LSDJ project files and some kits. I'm working on a little breakcore thing with his Amen kit.

Edit: https://soundcloud.com/tvvo/breakco...=social_sharing Needs kicks still, but this is where I'm at.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 8, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Still haven't bit the trigger on a Teensy.
Added Retroplug to the toolchain so now instead of recording out of an emulator on my 3DS into Ableton I can record out of an emulator on my PC but still compose on my 3DS. If anyone else wants to dive with me into LSDJ madness Defense Mechanism has a good YouTube and website. He posts his LSDJ project files and some kits. I'm working on a little breakcore thing with his Amen kit.

Edit: https://soundcloud.com/tvvo/breakco...=social_sharing Needs kicks still, but this is where I'm at.

If you really want to go wild, this place sells 3DSes modded with video out. I picked one up last year, it's mostly great. It requires Windows and a custom driver, unfortunately it is video over a USB cable and not two mini HDMI ports, but it's better than nothing.

https://delfinocustoms.com/

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Thanks, I'll think about that. The Gameboy emulation on 3DS is kinda hinky. I'm more apt to buy a flash cart and sound modded Gameboy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I keep staying up till 3 playing and then promising myself I'm going to spend all day playing the next day and then not having time. Just been trying a lot of different stuff, last night I set up Pigments to send MIDI out to my NTS-1, I may be just easily amused but I think the sound combinations those two are capable of playing in unison was really fun last night, what with the arps and so forth.

Question: is there a device, soft or hardware, that can "sample and hold" the previous bar or two bars of MIDI and just play that pattern? I mean I want to capture any 2 bars or whatever -- live, preferably -- and make it into an arpeggio. What would I want to use for that?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

midi looper you seek a midi looper. bastl makes one for, like $300. p' sure there's a grip of iphone apps and vst pluggins that will be orders of magnitude cheaper

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

If you just want to punch in a chord and hold it as an arpeggio a keystep can do that. Feed a sequencer into it for patterns maybe?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

midi looper you seek a midi looper. bastl makes one for, like $300. p' sure there's a grip of iphone apps and vst pluggins that will be orders of magnitude cheaper

Cool, thanks. I don't suppose that's something that Yamaha Rem1x would do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Maaaaaybe? It's been a while since I had mine but I think you can play in a pattern live then enable an arpeggiator on it iirc