Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Ah, right you are, I'd misremembered the issue, I think. I had to quit the comic strips thread because there's so much, and it's so, so good, that I would lose way too much time keeping up with it. One of the best threads on SA; hundreds and hundreds of dense effort-filled pages a year.

You might have been thinking of this one:

Although I kind of think the specific mention of "direct action" is because he's anti-sabotage or whatever, not necessarily anti-labor. The character isn't wholly consistent across the history of the strip but he's generally just against anything that's disruptive, rude, unkind, etc. and sometimes that swings both ways. Also as far as race stuff goes, there are at least a few strips with black characters that are what you might expect from a hundred year old comic, so be forewarned. Like I think there's one where he gets angry at a black server somewhere after the Johnson–Jeffries fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xiahou Dun posted:

O my god what the gently caress even is this.
Lord of the rings is a fantasy book series about a person who has a ring which makes him invisible. But that ring is evil so he goes on a quest to destroy it. Along the way, the ring tries to corrupt him with it's power. The story became wildly popular, when in 2001 Peter Jackson started bringing this trilogy to the big screen. These movies gained a wide acclaim and many people remember them fondly, to the point where they may recognize the iconic font.

I hope that helps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But why does the dolphin have mouse ears?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That won't help at all! The quoted image is a political cartoon and not the Lord of the Rings books or its movie adaptations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Medenmath posted:

You might have been thinking of this one:

Although I kind of think the specific mention of "direct action" is because he's anti-sabotage or whatever, not necessarily anti-labor. The character isn't wholly consistent across the history of the strip but he's generally just against anything that's disruptive, rude, unkind, etc. and sometimes that swings both ways. Also as far as race stuff goes, there are at least a few strips with black characters that are what you might expect from a hundred year old comic, so be forewarned. Like I think there's one where he gets angry at a black server somewhere after the Johnson–Jeffries fight.

I think that was it, yep. Gosh, it’d be cool to get some historicpolitoons in here again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature
That rhino looks like the stuffed animals at the natural history museum back before anyone had bothered to learn what they actually looked like.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that was it, yep. Gosh, it’d be cool to get some historicpolitoons in here again.

WWI marks the point where True turns jingoistic like mad, and I've always wondered if it was an actual expression of the author's belief, or overcompensation for his earlier proletarian sympathies in the face of war fever and the overbearing hand of Espionage Act of 1917 (and, one suspects, the beginnings of the First Red Scare).

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on an acrimonious start to 2023 in the UK – The first week of the year has been marred by conflict – royal, industrial and political"

Telegraph:

George Osborne’s Elgin Marbles deal ‘dangerous’ for Britain’s museums

Matt:

Independent:

Putin orders 36-hour ceasefire by Russian forces – Ukraine rejects it as ‘hypocrisy’; After Villiers.

The i paper:

Alison Hammond left in tears over Prince Harry’s virginity story

Times:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

WWI marks the point where True turns jingoistic like mad, and I've always wondered if it was an actual expression of the author's belief, or overcompensation for his earlier proletarian sympathies in the face of war fever and the overbearing hand of Espionage Act of 1917 (and, one suspects, the beginnings of the First Red Scare).

If I remember the discussion in the newspaper comics thread clearly, Condo was of German descent, so he went super-patriotic to avoid anyone thinking he was a German sympathizer.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

as opposed to the inheritors of some guy who went over to Greece in the 1800s, swore he totally had permission from somebody or other, and took a bunch of sculptures to decorate his house with, who definitely have a reasonable claim because hooray for britain

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not even pretending to mask their defense for colonialism and racism.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hmm.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

skeleton warrior posted:

I don’t recall that; he’s often hard on bosses who don’t do well be their workers (but also hard on workers who shirk).

What really knocks him off the pedestal is when World War I starts and he goes full “how dare you sully our good boys fighting Over There by daring to question anything about the war”

I personally take that as proof that the propaganda of George Creel and the Committee on Public Information was super effective. Plus there was the whole gentlemen's agreement between the CPI and the mainstream newspapers of "you don't have to censor us, we'll censor ourselves!".

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Also this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drat, that's great.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alhazred posted:

If they let people takesybacksy all the colonial loot, people might realise that Britain has no cultural heritage worth showing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nenonen posted:

If they let people takesybacksy all the colonial loot, people might realise that Britain has no cultural heritage worth showing.

How dare you, we have *checks notes* stones! Stones? Just stones? Surely we have *flips page* big buildings made of stones, there we go that'll do

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Imagine having to fill all the UK museums with English artefacts. You can put only so many tins of baked beans on display before people start losing interest.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

You mean besides Shakespeare and the sausage roll?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FUCKKKKK YOU goddamn lol

Literally a piece torn off a building sitting in another country, one of the most famous buildings in the world, and this motherfucker.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Microplastics posted:

How dare you, we have *checks notes* stones! Stones? Just stones? Surely we have *flips page* big buildings made of stones, there we go that'll do

George Orwell, in "The Lion and the Unicorn" posted:

Here are a couple of generalizations about England that would be accepted by almost all observers. One is that the English are not gifted artistically. They are not as musical as the Germans or Italians, painting and sculpture have never flourished in England as they have in France. Another is that, as Europeans go, the English are not intellectual. They have a horror of abstract thought, they feel no need for any philosophy or systematic “world-view”. Nor is this because they are “practical”, as they are so fond of claiming for themselves. One has only to look at their methods of town-planning and water-supply, their obstinate clinging to everything that is out of date and a nuisance, a spelling system that defies analysis, and a system of weights and measures that is intelligible only to the compilers of arithmetic books, to see how little they care about mere efficiency. But they have a certain power of acting without taking thought. Their world-famed hypocrisy – their double-faced attitude towards the Empire, for instance – is bound up with this.

Here one comes back to two English characteristics that I pointed out, seemingly rather at random, at the beginning of the last chapter. One is the lack of artistic ability. This is perhaps another way of saying that the English are outside the European culture. For there is one art in which they have shown plenty of talent, namely literature. But this is also the only art that cannot cross frontiers. Literature, especially poetry, and lyric poetry most of all, is a kind of family joke, with little or no value outside its own language-group. Except for Shakespeare, the best English poets are barely known in Europe, even as names. The only poets who are widely read are Byron, who is admired for the wrong reasons, and Oscar Wilde, who is pitied as a victim of English hypocrisy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Having to hunt for a bad comic in a series that ran for a long time 100 years ago is probably the best you're gonna get. Even Popeye probably doesn't score better most likely, though I am interested if it was the author's own views on the war of just his own views on having a job and not being in prison.

Microplastics posted:

I'm sure they've got plenty of history to show off that they stole from themselves somehow!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A few years ago I was working for the local newspaper when the local ethnographic museum hosted a conference on the Benin Bronzes. I wrote an article on the conference, and dove into the historic and legal background. Basically, it's thousands of bronze artefacts looted from the capital of Benin, in modern day Nigeria, during the eighteenth century. The Oba of Benin was still independent, but the British were pushing into the territory, mostly to expand the palm oil industry. In 1896 the British mounted an expedition to the capitol of Benin, the city of Edo. When they were informed that there was a religious festival going on and that the Oba would see them afterwards, their response was basically 'sod that heathen nonsense, we're here on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen.'

The skirmish that followed was sold in Britain as 'The Benin Massacre', framed as a friendly trading expedition that got slaughtered by heathen savages. The British mounted a punitive expedition that ended with the sack of Edo, with the aforementioned Benin bronzes looted. They ended up scattered all over European museums, and more than 90% is basically in permanent storage. For decades now, the descendants of the Oba of Benin and the Nigerian government have been pushing to have the bronzes returned to Nigeria. One of the many, many hurdles is the National Heritage Act of 1983, which basically declares everything in a British museum to be property of the public, which therefore can't be given away.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I heard about Benin from this Jacob Geller video

https://youtu.be/ETAcIbzOTYs

Its super sad

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Microplastics posted:

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1290035575756480512

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Chris Britt

Gary Markstein

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelly

Tom Stiglich

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

:psyduck:
Dafuq?
Did they actually make Joker pregnant? Or is this just more ham-handery?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, I had to Google that one... it's basically just magical fuckery, not DC retconning The Joker into a trans man.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Dafuq?

It is an actual thing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
something weird happened in a comic book? i gotta make a cartoon about this!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Skios posted:

Marshall Ramsey

Really glad there was a labeled sign where the roads crossed to tell me it was a crossroads.

That would’ve been a real brain buster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Mike, in lieu of criticizing the content of this one, I'm just going to ask why "is" was written in cursive but no other words were?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mike, in lieu of criticizing the content of this one, I'm just going to ask why "is" was written in cursive but no other words were?

He just does that sometimes, I don't think it means anything more than "Michael Ramirez is a hack."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

the_steve posted:

Dafuq?
Yes

The reaction has been hilarious, especially considering that "Joker is pregnant!" is absolutely a golden age story.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Michael Ramirez 𝒾𝓈 a hack."

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
I'm really liking the old timey comics. Are there any sites that aggregate these comics like Rarebit and Everett True into dailys and RSS feeds? like GoComics but stuff that's not really commercial anymore. One a day like that seems like the perfect format for consuming these vs just reading everything at once til I get bored.

if there's not then maybe I'll make a site that does exactly that.

sithael fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 8, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

sithael posted:

I'm really liking the old timey comics. Are there any sites that aggregate these comics like Rarebit and Everett True into dailys and RSS feeds? like GoComics but stuff that's not really commercial anymore. One a day like that seems like the perfect format for consuming these vs just reading everything at once til I get bored.

if there's not then maybe I'll make a site that does exactly that.

Not to my knowledge, but again, absolutely check out the BSS comic strips thread- the people there are a treasure trove and will know far more.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tibalt posted:

Yes

The reaction has been hilarious, especially considering that "Joker is pregnant!" is absolutely a golden age story.

Like literally Joker is just taking on the role of Loki from norse mythology who got pregnant several times, and I Think Odin rides on one of Loki's kids as his mighty steed because Loki did it with a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AtomikKrab posted:

Like literally Joker is just taking on the role of Loki from norse mythology who got pregnant several times, and I Think Odin rides on one of Loki's kids as his mighty steed because Loki did it with a horse.
Yep; Sleipnir is an eight-legged horse that happens to be Loki's son (whom he birthed as a mare).