Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just hanging out with the bros, doing the ol' group poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

God drat quintus what are you eating the sponge is all greasy

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

EmptyVessel posted:

If you can't be sure of what the recipe actually translates as you should probably hold off on claiming that it's precise.

Here's the lime bit of the recipe, you be the judge if it's precise. I would suggest that area in which it lacks precision is in the time between slaking the lime and the mixing of the mortar. It's still pretty precise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think the ambiguity is not so much how precise it is or what it leaves out (paradoxically, the amount of information there could have caused people to overlook that it might not be the entire process, which is I think what the researchers are getting at when they say it's 'highly precise but vague') but that vitruvius never told anyone to slake lime. the word he uses is "extincta"; "extinguished", but of course since we know that you slake lime to make concrete, it makes more sense to translate that as slaked. so people have previously focused on the ash as being the source of the 'healing' as it was the one major difference to our process, while the new research has traced down material evidence that at least some of the lime was not slaked during the process, which might indicate that either the recipe is incomplete despite its exhaustive details (proportions are entirely fine when the purpose of the recipe is to define how to make an undefined amount of product) or imo that it's possible we simply projected our own knowledge of how to make concrete onto the recipe itself and made assumptions from there.

disclaimer i am not a concretician.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is the most boring thing since cuneiform warehouse inventories

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

manmade rock is cool imo.

what was the mix on egyptian concrete, romans probably stole it from them anyway

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i say swears online posted:

wait till you get into the weeds of what percentage of paleolithic grain seeds are GMO'd at any given site

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ghostlight posted:

i think the ambiguity is not so much how precise it is or what it leaves out (paradoxically, the amount of information there could have caused people to overlook that it might not be the entire process, which is I think what the researchers are getting at when they say it's 'highly precise but vague') but that vitruvius never told anyone to slake lime. the word he uses is "extincta"; "extinguished", but of course since we know that you slake lime to make concrete, it makes more sense to translate that as slaked. so people have previously focused on the ash as being the source of the 'healing' as it was the one major difference to our process, while the new research has traced down material evidence that at least some of the lime was not slaked during the process, which might indicate that either the recipe is incomplete despite its exhaustive details (proportions are entirely fine when the purpose of the recipe is to define how to make an undefined amount of product) or imo that it's possible we simply projected our own knowledge of how to make concrete onto the recipe itself and made assumptions from there.

disclaimer i am not a concretician.

Thanks I was wondering what the Latin was. The chemical reaction of quicklime to slaked lime takes some time, so it seems to me you could follow that recipe as written in english and be mixing slaked and quick limes at the same time.
It does seem like it could all just be quicklime though that's fresh from the kiln.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

manmade rock is cool imo.

what was the mix on egyptian concrete, romans probably stole it from them anyway

timestamp'd for recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn304vsLuLY&t=195s

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

indigi posted:

they're so fuckin close together

haha I’d never put my hand on your thigh at the ancient Roman toilet

…unless?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

blumpkins were way more normal c. 33 ad

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

good luck making tribune if your toilet throat game wasn't on point

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

tefnut's secret ingredient

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lol the new season of the Netflix Ottomans show is out and Radu is in it. of course since this is the Turkish Government version of the story he's just "Radu the Beautiful Handsome", Mehmet's totally heterosexual best bro/arrow shooting buddy

Also the re-enacted parts keep showing Vlad as an insane cartoon villain despite all the Romanian historians interviewed saying the exact opposite

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a few days ago i just typed in 'documentaries' on netflix and one of the first results was some ancient aliens poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a few days ago i just typed in 'documentaries' on netflix and one of the first results was some ancient aliens poo poo

pbs shows that poo poo now after real shows like nova. its sad

their series "secrets of the dead" is guilty of insanely bad history from the few ive seen. the one about carthaginians in south america cause theres some red headed incans had me like "ok who took the bribe from this disgraced german classicist and let this air"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

pbs shows that poo poo now after real shows like nova. its sad

oh that's way worse. god dammit

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
ancient aliens used to be fun when nobody believed it. crazy hair guy needs to atone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im sad i know exactly who crazy hair guy is

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

ancient aliens used to be fun when nobody believed it. crazy hair guy needs to atone

Hate to break it to you but that's been something lots of people have been seriously into for decades. Look at how many copies Chariots of the Gods? sold. The show was just it going mainstream.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

sci-fi shelby foote

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

If you take out "no strong opinions whatsoever" ancient aliens believers definitely outnumber us big brains at least in America..

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
von daniken sent a crank letter to gerald ford in 1976 claiming that ancient aliens could reinvigorate religious belief and fight communism https://www.jasoncolavito.com/the-von-daniken-letter.html

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Azathoth posted:

Hate to break it to you but that's been something lots of people have been seriously into for decades. Look at how many copies Chariots of the Gods? sold. The show was just it going mainstream.

someone gave me a copy of that and I never read it but now I want to see how crazy it is and I regret giving it away lmao

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

War and Pieces posted:

If you take out "no strong opinions whatsoever" ancient aliens believers definitely outnumber us big brains at least in America..

Just look at how many posts are in this thread vs the cspam aliens thread

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

At least David Icke et al have the decency to say that at a certain point the aliens are just invisible and magic ie literally Gods

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Endman posted:

someone gave me a copy of that and I never read it but now I want to see how crazy it is and I regret giving it away lmao

Unfortunately, it's not really fun to read on that front, and this comes from a guy who loves crazy UFO books. Basically the author looks at a whole bunch of awesome poo poo non-white people did and, with a confidence only summonable by a mediocre white man, solemnly declares that because white people couldn't do it, it must be aliens.

It's worth reading as a historical artifact, because it was mainstream popular when it was released, and it has direct echoes in modern conspiracy culture. And I don't mean UFO culture, to be clear, though it looms large there too, of course.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ea-nasir-rear end post

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Endman posted:

it's not even kooky funny, von daniken just runs through a bunch of ancient stuff he says could be aliens. he ripped off morning of the magicians which imo is a little more wacky, a couple of French mystics talking about nazi occultism and flying saucers. a lot of the texts that followed von daniken were way more out there, getting explicit about the nephilim stuff we see everywhere now, whereas he plays coy and keeps saying he's just asking questions that the establishment won't answer. he overplayed his hand in one of his sequels saying he found a massive cave system in Ecuador filled with techno wonders and people actually bothered to fact check him, afterwards I think is when he fully threw in with the genre he'd popularized and dropped the question mark, so to speak

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Azathoth posted:

Unfortunately, it's not really fun to read on that front, and this comes from a guy who loves crazy UFO books. Basically the author looks at a whole bunch of awesome poo poo non-white people did and, with a confidence only summonable by a mediocre white man, solemnly declares that because white people couldn't do it, it must be aliens.

It's worth reading as a historical artifact, because it was mainstream popular when it was released, and it has direct echoes in modern conspiracy culture. And I don't mean UFO culture, to be clear, though it looms large there too, of course.

what he said

edit: I should shill my paranormal book review blog here, with many ufo entries https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/search/label/ufos

to build off of what azathoth said, chariots of the gods was just a sci-fi updating of the lost white gods/white Jesus myth which held that, well, white looking Jesus came over to South America and taught everyone there civilization as the god Quetzalcoatl. Celts, vikings, or other ancient euro populations could be slotted in as having really built whatever ruins were found around the world, great Zimbabwe for example, always a convenient narrative for settlers that actually white people were here first and the savages murdered them - Andrew Jackson believed in a lost white civilization in America which he mentioned as a justification for extirpating the native people

von daniken was a "naturally occurring" con artist taking advantage of a market, but many ufo figures like brinsley le poer trench and the crew at the flying saucer review were spooked up reactionaries

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Jan 8, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My highschool physics professor had a degree in archeology he got in his spare time after he got his degree in physics (thanks to growing up before Yugoslavia started collapsing) and he loved using certain examples during lessons to dunk on "you needed alien technology to make the pyramids" bullshit. Like, he haaaaated the alien stuff with a burning passion

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
when you think about it, ancient Egyptians basically would be aliens to us if we met them today. whoa

Endman
May 18, 2010

kooks could at least have the decency to be entertaining smdh

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

indigi posted:

when you think about it, ancient Egyptians basically would be aliens to us if we met them today. whoa

I think I would get along with the workers who went on strike for more beer

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

as always when the topic comes up I just want to mention that it's barely a coincidence that ancient alien theories are fundamentally racist, that the modern field is almost entirely built on von daniken's book or its hoax source materials or derivatives, and that said book was edited and revised under a pseudonym by a former editor of die hitlerjugend, and that mysteriously none of this information is available on the english language wikipedia.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

what he said

edit: I should shill my paranormal book review blog here, with many ufo entries https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/search/label/ufos

Share your books and link in this thread:
Post Pictures of Weird and Wonderful Books
It would fit right in.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Ghostlight posted:

as always when the topic comes up I just want to mention that it's barely a coincidence that ancient alien theories are fundamentally racist, that the modern field is almost entirely built on von daniken's book or its hoax source materials or derivatives, and that said book was edited and revised under a pseudonym by a former editor of die hitlerjugend, and that mysteriously none of this information is available on the english language wikipedia.

I swear his wikipedia page used to be more filled out but I don't see it in the edit history. anyways here's scraps about wilhelm utermann from google:

quote:

The first draft of the publication had been rejected by a variety of publishers. The book was extensively rewritten by its editor, Wilhelm Roggersdorf (a pen name of the German screenwriter Wilhelm "Utz" Utermann). Utermann had been a Nazi bestselling author and had held a leading position with the Völkischer Beobachter.[1][2]

quote:

Nazis meeting their just rewards after the war gets much publicity, but for every Nazi who faced justice, a hundred others melted back into the population. One of the Nazis who escaped justice was a propagandist named Wilhelm Utermann. Even with the assistance of Google, I could find very little on Utermann, possibly because he continued working under assumed names to avoid attention. Aliases included Wilhelm Roggersdorf, Utz Utermann, and Mathias Racker. In 1968, he was hired to edit a book that repackaged the Ahnenerbe’s ideas for the Space Age, replacing “ancient Aryans” with the more palatable “ancient Aliens.” That book was Chariots of the Gods? by Erich von Däniken.

Von Däniken was a Swiss hotel manager with a history of jail time for fraud. He had no education in archeology, but his book was released during the perfect cultural zeitgeist. Spaceflight was a new reality, and the human race was facing the existential dread that we may be alone in the universe. People started seeing “unidentified flying objects” and “humanoid creatures” everywhere. The mythology around Area 51 began. While the idea of extraterrestrial visitors had already been popular due to books like War of the Worlds, the height of Cold War paranoia truly gave birth to the UFO craze.

in one of his later books von daniken wonders whether black people were a "failed experiment" by the aliens before they created white people. his aliens are blonde and blue eyed of course: https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/the-astonishing-racial-claims-of-erich-von-daniken

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Jan 8, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ArmTheHomeless posted:

Share your books and link in this thread:
Post Pictures of Weird and Wonderful Books
It would fit right in.

ive posted a couple times in that thread! I hope gutter phoenix is okay, he's been awol from his threads for a while : /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

ive posted a couple times in that thread! I hope gutter phoenix is okay, he's been awol from his threads for a while : /

I recced it to ArmTheHomeless cause he linked your blog to me because I am a giant book nerd. Hard to remember who has posted where about what at this point lol. I didn't realize Gutter Phoenix was MIA, that thread moves so slow :(